Just how interchangeable is a Sig 1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just how interchangeable is a Sig 1911

mabgrac
08-07-2012, 18:01
I am getting very interested in Sig 1911s. I read that the slide is different and won't fit some 1911 holsters, but I am wondering how different the internal parts are if any?

Glock_en_speil
08-07-2012, 18:20
mabgrac,

I read anarticle in a recent issue of Combat Handguns magazine on the Sigs. Their proprietary 1911 models do have a non-standard shaped slide that won't fit many holsters. If memory served the article said that Sig was working with several manufacturers to offer specially made holsters for theses. I do not recall if these were being offered by Sig themselves or through the respective hostler manufacturers. I also do not recall reading the internals were any different inthese guns.

In case you are interested Sig also produces a line of classic 1911's that does retain the original shape of the slide. One thing to keep in mind is that all Sig 1911's use an external extractor. There's nothing wrong with that per se but most 1911 manufacturers are currently using an internal extractor which is more common and allows the area around the ejection port to maintain a more traditional look.

silversport
08-08-2012, 04:32
that about covers the main differences...slide shape (perhaps) and external extractor...

Bill