Where is your spare mag? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where is your spare mag?

CTfam
08-07-2012, 19:02
I must admit I've been slacking on packing a spare mag lately. :embarassed: I know, I know... I used to be good about it. I think I need a new mag carrier... Curious what's working for people out there.

So please tell me. Do you carry a spare mag? How many? In what? And where is it located? THANKS! :wavey:

DaneA
08-07-2012, 19:24
Well at them moment I think it is in the center console of my truck. I'm sitting in a hotel room. I guess I figure if 10 rounds doesn't get me out of a situation then f-it. I just don't have enough belt to carry all the stuff that some people on here do.

quichedem
08-07-2012, 19:38
Same here. Mine is usually in my vehicle if I'm out and about. I never carry a spare mag on me.

gunowner1
08-07-2012, 19:52
I carry two spare G19 or G30 mags all the time. I combined two glock mag holsters using CompTac screws. I also carry cell phone, keys, cigs, wallet, and one or two knives. Oh and a glock in a CompTac MTac. Sometimes carry my LCP in my cargo pocket in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster along with my primary. All hidden with a normal sized t-shirt or button down shirt. I live in South Florida so I like to keep it light as it gets pretty hot down here.

cowboy1964
08-07-2012, 19:54
Safariland 123 at 10-11 o'clock. < $20, very concealable, doesn't poke me in the side like verticals do, and I can clip my 4.5" tactical light to the underside.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/gunfight-b.jpg

dustbusterplus
08-07-2012, 20:43
Safariland 123 at 10-11 o'clock. < $20, very concealable, doesn't poke me in the side like verticals do, and I can clip my 4.5" tactical light to the underside.

+1

I love this mag holster. I am needing to get a second one for the DB9 mag.

Arc Angel
08-07-2012, 20:55
45 ACP: One 17 round Arredondo magazine carried on the opposite side of my belt and in a single Blade-Tech Kydex belt pouch that's fitted with a quick on/off Tek-Lok clasp.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/499/bladetech2.jpg

9MM: Two 17 round magazines carried in two single #250 Hellweg open-top speed pouches that are located on the other side of my belt. (Not a generally well-known company, here, in America; but I've been using their high quality leather goods for more than a quarter century.)

http://www.hellweg.com.au/

Angry Fist
08-07-2012, 21:00
I keep a 15 round mag of UA 200gr XTP's, and a 20 round mag of UA 200gr FMJ in a Fobus in my truck. For when I don't want to carry a reload, it's still there.

defend2nd
08-07-2012, 21:26
I keep one spare in a nightstand drawer and another in the center console of my vehicle.

David

youngdocglock
08-07-2012, 21:31
Next to my gun on the table :-D

In all seriousness. I have a blackhawk duel mag carrier that i wear on my belt. so with my EDC G22. i have 46 rounds total. I also have a 22 rounder in the glove box of my car.....just in case :-D

Jagged
08-07-2012, 21:33
Back pocket in a wallet holster.

The G19 only has the light on it for night-stand duty.

youngdocglock
08-07-2012, 21:38
Back pocket in a wallet holster.

The G19 only has the light on it for night-stand duty.

oh come on, carry it! haha my EDC is a 22 with a TLR-2. Only issue is finding a quality concealable holster for the setup.

Have you fired it with the light ? i've noticed some recoil reduction due to the extra few ounces :-)

mingaa
08-07-2012, 21:38
Cargo pants pocket, belt may holder, sport coat inner breast pocket - whatever suits the duds of the day. I carry a Kahr CW9 and/or a Taurus 709 in pretty deep carry. With 7 or 8+1 spare mags are a must IMHO.

Jagged
08-07-2012, 21:42
oh come on, carry it! haha my EDC is a 22 with a TLR-2. Only issue is finding a quality concealable holster for the setup.

Have you fired it with the light ? i've noticed some recoil reduction due to the extra few ounces :-)

Yeah, it shoots like a dream with the light on. Find me an MTAC body to support the light and I'll carry it :cool:

youngdocglock
08-07-2012, 21:43
Yeah, it shoots like a dream with the light on. Find me an MTAC body to support the light and I'll carry it :cool:

Issue i have with mine is whenever i take the light off.....then put it back on the weapon. My laser sighting gets messed up. usually a inch to the left, so i have to re-adjust it :(

Jagged
08-07-2012, 21:45
Issue i have with mine is whenever i take the light off.....then put it back on the weapon. My laser sighting gets messed up. usually a inch to the left, so i have to re-adjust it :(

I have a TLR-1, I don't care for lasers.

ithaca_deerslayer
08-07-2012, 22:02
I always carry a spare mag. Just hate the thought of shooting dry, and having no reload. I'm not as concerned about having a fast reload, as just having a reload.

So I carry a spare mag in my pocket. Usually in a nylon mag pouch. If carrying a snubby, I carry the reload in a flat pouch.

boomhower
08-07-2012, 22:21
90% of the time in a OWB kydex holder. When I am wearing a tighter shirt it's in my weak side pocket. Regardless I always have a one on me. Gun only holds seven so I want a bit more plus theres always a chance of a magazine malfunction.

Creatism
08-07-2012, 22:40
Usually have a spare mag in my off side front pocket. Also a bug in the other front pocket. Most of the time, I might leave the bug at home but I always have a spare mag on me.

Typed from my iPhone with my thumbs!!

NEOH212
08-08-2012, 02:53
I usually carry one spare on me but sometimes I carry two. I carry my spare on my weak side on my belt. It sits in a Raven Concealment magazine holder with all the Magpul Dynamics options.

cadillacguns
08-08-2012, 02:56
De Santis "Nemisis" pocket rig, G-27 in the other pocket.

cloudbuster
08-08-2012, 12:55
Well at them moment I think it is in the center console of my truck. I'm sitting in a hotel room.

Same here. Mine is usually in my vehicle if I'm out and about. I never carry a spare mag on me.

I keep one spare in a nightstand drawer and another in the center console of my vehicle.

Seriously? That's about as useful as the gun you didn't choose to carry.

You know magazine malfunctions are among the most common, right?

Off the top of my head:

Mag release got accidentally depressed by something while your gun is holstered. You draw. Magazine falls on the ground and you're left standing with your metaphorical d**k in your hands.
Base plate has been dislodged by being banged on something while holstered. You draw, base plate falls off and your rounds fall on the ground -- kind of like the pee that's now running down your leg
Spring fatigue (gosh it was fine last time you were at the range!)
Bent feed lip (ditto!)
Misaligned rounds in the mag cause misfeed. Can't clear without dropping mag and reseating rounds. Just hold on a second Mr. Felon!
Just happen to need to shoot a lot of people!

Always at least one spare magazine on belt, weak side, for any magazine-fed weapon.

At least one speed loader or speed strip, strong side, for any revolver.

Jagged
08-08-2012, 13:18
You know magazine malfunctions are among the most common, right?

This. I don't carry a spare magazine because I think I need 31 rounds of 9mm. I carry a spare mag because I'll probably do something stupid like accidentally drop my magazine when I grab my pistol with my kung-fu grip, or I might encounter some other brainfart-related malfunction.

I did a lot of hard thought about my 'style' of carry before I came to the conclusion of a wallet holster for my spare magazine. I try to keep my beltline accessories to a minimum. I hate feeling like Batman with over 9000 things hanging off my belt (despite having a nice Wilderness Instructor's Belt as my daily belt).

HerrGlock
08-08-2012, 14:06
In the dresser drawer with about 5 of its buddies. Another 15 or so for each is in the safe.

Diminishing returns. If you feel you want to carry one, carry it. If you do not, don't.

SouthpawG26
08-08-2012, 14:10
No special mag holsters for me. I keep spare 17round mag wit XGrip extension for my G26, upside down, bullets forward, in my weak side front pocket (5.11 pants at work or similar). I put nothing else in that particular pocket, I'm meticulous in these things.

I also keep second spare in the truck's center console.

Lastly, I don't carry spare clips anymore for my G26. Mostly because they don't seem to fit...:upeyes:

Keyhole
08-08-2012, 14:30
Carry 1 in the mag pocket of my 5.11 shorts.

CTfam
08-08-2012, 18:15

This is interesting. I see Dale Fricke makes a kydex one like this and I may give that a shot. I hate pocket carry, I hate IWB carry (of a mag) and the OWB mag pouch I have seems to be built for speed rather than concealment. Maybe the horizontal will work. :wavey:

cowboy1964
08-08-2012, 18:54
The neat thing about the Safariland 123 is it's completely ambi and you can position it so mag is forward or rear facing. It also works with every mag I have (I suspect Glock .45/10mm mags would be too tight though but they do have a larger size for those). Win win win.

Sampo
08-08-2012, 22:31
Home made leather pocket pouch, either front or back support side pocket.

GlocknSpiehl
08-09-2012, 10:16
Mine rides in a tuckable magazine carrier on my weak hand side at about 8:00. If I am travelling in my vehicle (e.g. road trip), I will put another one in the center glove box.

John Rambo
08-09-2012, 10:56
I must admit I've been slacking on packing a spare mag lately. :embarassed: I know, I know... I used to be good about it. I think I need a new mag carrier... Curious what's working for people out there.

So please tell me. Do you carry a spare mag? How many? In what? And where is it located? THANKS! :wavey:
I always keep a spare mag...

...sitting in my safe. Keeps me from having to unload my Gold Dots when I take the gun into the range.

:supergrin:

Sgt.K
08-09-2012, 11:43
I carry 1 mag in a Passport nylon flap pouch on my weak side. Depending on which I'm carrying, I have one for the G26 (19 round G17 mag) and one for the PM9 (7 round w/finger extension).

tslex
08-09-2012, 12:25
This. I don't carry a spare magazine because I think I need 31 rounds of 9mm. I carry a spare mag because I'll probably do something stupid like accidentally drop my magazine when I grab my pistol with my kung-fu grip, or I might encounter some other brainfart-related malfunction.

This.

Almost always (95%) weak side in a mag pouch. When pocket carrying (5%) spare mag is in weak side back pocket.

ZO6Vettever
08-09-2012, 13:53
At home. G30 with 10+1 should be enough. If I'm going to a high crime area I sometimes put a 13 round G21 mag in it.

Bren
08-09-2012, 14:05
If I'm carrying a 6 or 7 shot .380, I usually carry an extra mag (or a speedloader for a 5-shot .38). If I'm carrying a bigger caliber and/or higher capacity, I rarely worry about it.

When I carry a spare, it's on my left side in a belt clip mag pouch I made or in my left front pocket. The revolver speedloaders go in my right front pocket.

poodleplumber
08-09-2012, 15:32
I thought that's what the off-side pants pocket was for.

MLittle
08-09-2012, 15:52
I also carry my one spare Sig P220 8 round mag in a Desantis Nemisis magazine holster which fits neatly in my front left pocket (I'm right handed). I got tired of having my spare slip around in my pocket and the Nemisis holds it firmly at a 90 degree angle for easy retrieval and also keeps lint and debris from getting down inside the mag. The holster also neatly disguises the mag so you really can't tell what's in the pocket....it's very flat.

M24C
08-09-2012, 18:14
Right now in my left pocket in my CCWBreakaways magazine holder. When I'm carrying 2 guns they are usually bladetech double mag holder on my belt. Or if I want more discrete they are in Blackhawk velcro or I have some tuckable leather holsters, or any combination there of the above.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

larson1122
08-10-2012, 01:48
When I carry a spare mag it is on my weak side in a Glock magazine pouch

http://us.glock.com/img/accessories/magazine-pouch.jpg

Caver 60
08-10-2012, 23:12
I always carry a spare mag. Just hate the thought of shooting dry, and having no reload. I'm not as concerned about having a fast reload, as just having a reload.

So I carry a spare mag in my pocket. Usually in a nylon mag pouch. If carrying a snubby, I carry the reload in a flat pouch.

That's me. The spare mag is in my left side pocket in the nylon pouch.