Gun arrest at a theater - Westlake, OH [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun arrest at a theater - Westlake, OH

cowboy1964
08-07-2012, 19:27
http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/255119/45/Westlake-Man-arrested-in-movie-theater-with-loaded-gun-and-knives

Does not have a CHL apparently.

PS. I just noticed another thread in General Firearms. I did search for "Westlake", which I *thought* would have caught any existing threads.

Glock_9mm
08-07-2012, 22:10
Wow, what was this guy thinking.....It is encouraging that a teenager was alert enough to notice this.
Scott

youngdocglock
08-07-2012, 22:16
This is why im waiting for the DVD.....I carry all day, all night, every day of the year....however too many nutjobs out there right now, especially surrounding this movie.

akgunnut
08-07-2012, 22:58
I guess it has gotten to that point to where you can't even go out and enjoy yourself without living in fear of someone could be carrying weapons and might use them. I rarely go to movie theaters but not because I'm afraid of someone may come in carrying weapons and may or may not shoot up the place. It's cheaper to just watch it online or buy it on DVD and dealing with the large crowds annoy me. We seem to live in the age of the thought police where you'll get arrested and thrown in jail when there has no been real crime committed. The guy never shot anyone, although carrying a bag with guns and knives may seem a little odd and he complied. It's difficult to tell what people are thinking and this guy may very well have been plotting to do a copy cat shooting following the Aurora CO massacre. What a sad country we live in where people have to live in constant fear and worry about what someone else is thinking.

youngdocglock
08-07-2012, 23:01
I guess it has gotten to that point to where you can't even go out and enjoy yourself without living in fear of someone could be carrying weapons and might use them. I rarely go to movie theaters but not because I'm afraid of someone may come in carrying weapons and may or may not shoot up the place. It's cheaper to just watch it online or buy it on DVD and dealing with the large crowds annoy me. We seem to live in the age of the thought police where you'll get arrested and thrown in jail when there has no been real crime committed. The guy never shot anyone, although carrying a bag with guns and knives may seem a little odd and he complied. It's difficult to tell what people are thinking and this guy may very well have been plotting to do a copy cat shooting following the Aurora CO massacre. What a sad country we live in where people have to live in constant fear and worry about what someone else is thinking.

i Personally Just dont want to deal with it, and very close to my home we had a suspected copycat already last month...i dont like movie theaters anyway, always some dumb kids talking loudly or acting like fools and destroying the movie haha.

Drain You
08-07-2012, 23:11
I'd be amazed if every theatre in America isn't marked with no gun signs by the end of the year. Technically that carries the weight of law in some areas. Technically that sign won't keep you from dying either.

Glock_9mm
08-07-2012, 23:40
I'd be amazed if every theatre in America isn't marked with no gun signs by the end of the year. Technically that carries the weight of law in some areas. Technically that sign won't keep you from dying either.

Each state and county has specific rules about this. Personally, I will not support a theater that has these signs posted. I can wait 4 months for a new movie to come out on PPV or go elsewhere. The money I save I'll spend on ammo and range fees! :wavey: until I see signs, I'll continue to go to matinees while the crazies are sleeping!
Scott

NEOH212
08-08-2012, 02:47
Illegal carry aside. A interesting fact here is how many people recently have been arrested for carrying a gun into a movie theater.

What's more interesting is these people didn't shoot anyone...:whistling:

Not everybody that carries a gun is a nut hell bent on committing mass murder.

That concludes today's lesson.

NEOH212
08-08-2012, 02:50

Oh but those signs will make the ignorant, naive, and anti-gun folks feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that anyone that's carrying a gun into the building with the intent of killing everyone will immediately stop at the first sight of a no guns sign. :whistling:

Steff1
08-08-2012, 05:38
They're making a big deal of this on the local news. Apparently the guy had one of those Maxpedition shoulder bags that an off duty PO spotted. (guess I can't use that for a while). Gives credence to the "greyman" theory of fitting in.

Gary1911A1
08-08-2012, 07:25
They're making a big deal of this on the local news. Apparently the guy had one of those Maxpedition shoulder bags that an off duty PO spotted. (guess I can't use that for a while). Gives credence to the "greyman" theory of fitting in.

I have one of these bags too, but I guess I won't be using mine anytime soon either. I use to go to the local movie theater in the afternoon, but rude people talking on cell phones and this recent stuff I have decided to just stay away.

RussP
08-08-2012, 07:55
They're making a big deal of this on the local news. Apparently the guy had one of those Maxpedition shoulder bags that an off duty PO spotted. (guess I can't use that for a while). Gives credence to the "greyman" theory of fitting in.Discussed here..."No one should have known" you CCW'd (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1364300)

broncobuddha1
08-08-2012, 13:27
Regal cinemas. Bummer. They're headquartered here which means they're going to post if they havent already. Crap.

TBO
08-08-2012, 16:34
There's another thread on this forum where a man with a permit was observed with a gun in his waistband and 911 was called. Officers responded, made contact, and the permit holder was arrested.

Some in that thread speak to the Cops being in the wrong because the guy had a permit, and as such shouldn't have approached/done any of the actions they did.

These were similar circumstances (other than the man was determined through the investigation conducted by the officers not to be a permit holder).

So, the question begs, are those same folks going to post here that the charges will be dropped because the Police acted in a manner they should have/was illegal?

Rcsteffen
08-08-2012, 19:48
I live nearby this theater. Been there several times with my kids. I've also eaten a few times at the Cracker Barrel where the guy walked in with a shotgun and killed his estranged wife and 2 kids last year. And people wonder why I carry now...

Misty02
08-09-2012, 05:53
There's another thread on this forum where a man with a permit was observed with a gun in his waistband and 911 was called. Officers responded, made contact, and the permit holder was arrested.

Some in that thread speak to the Cops being in the wrong because the guy had a permit, and as such shouldn't have approached/done any of the actions they did.

These were similar circumstances (other than the man was determined through the investigation conducted by the officers not to be a permit holder).

So, the question begs, are those same folks going to post here that the charges will be dropped because the Police acted in a manner they should have/was illegal?

I see no problem with the police approaching and investigating when they receive the call. If the person is carrying illegally, then arrest him/her. If the person is carrying legally and it is not against the property owner’s wishes, then let them be. If it is legal but the property owner doesn’t want them there, ask them to leave.

There is only an issue if the person gets arrested when they were doing nothing illegal. Most do a lot of research and work hard to stay on the right side of the law, it would be wrong to have those people end up with a record and exorbitant legal expenses because someone was alarmed or scared by the presence of a firearm.

Heck, I’ve asked both my sons to stay away from movie theaters while carrying in a conventional matter if printing can be even remotely possible. It is not illegal to print in Florida but I don’t want to have to deal with that kind of mess. Honestly, we don’t need that added kind of stress in our lives while out and about doing nothing that is against the law. The way things are going it won’t be long before we read of an arrest at a retail store because someone reached for something and had part of their weapon temporarily exposed or their shirt rested on the grip once they lowered their arm.

If the possible consequences is that police will investigate and let the person carrying legally go, then it is not a big deal for me. The possibility of being arrested for disturbing the peace or any other charge because others became alarmed? That is another story and that is where I'm seeing all of this going.

amd65
08-09-2012, 07:27
When I see a guy with a Maxpedition bag, I automatically think "gun".

jph02
08-09-2012, 07:34
I see no problem with the police approaching and investigating when they receive the call. If the person is carrying illegally, then arrest him/her. If the person is carrying legally and it is not against the property owner’s wishes, then let them be. If it is legal but the property owner doesn’t want them there, ask them to leave...
This.

simotek
08-09-2012, 07:59
When I see a guy with a Maxpedition bag, I automatically think "gun".

I agree. Which is why if I was going to carry a bag around it would be a stylish man purse. But unfortunately the manly men in society haven't advanced far enough yet to accept that a man purse is ridiculously convenient and doesn't make you any less of a man. Especially when you ask your fiancée for some gum and she says, "sorry I left my purse in the car."

Well, men, SOMETIMES WE HAVE TO TAKE THE PURSE INTO OUR OWN HANDS.

:cool:

jeanderson
08-09-2012, 10:54
This is in my backyard and saw many news stories.

What was interesting was that he chose to sit in the middle of the last row. Now if you take his side, and argue that he was just super paranoid about defending himself, he wanted to be facing any potential attacker. If you think he's a wacko and was going to attack, having your victims all in front of you and facing away is a great tactical advantage. Only he knows.

To me, the three knives was the strangest part of the whole thing.

fowler
08-09-2012, 12:19
There is no law or legal fix that can stop crazy or insane or make someone have god fearing integrity and sanity. Outlawing guns can not fix the problem ever.

03 Jarhead
08-09-2012, 18:34
Wow! Shocking that he was "armed to the teeth" with one pistol, a couple of extra mags, and three knives. I typically carry one pistol and one knife so I must only be armed to the gums. So tired of media sensationalizing everything, which in turn gets the sheep very paranoid and fearful. Can I get a STFU if you don't know what you're talking about?

cloudbuster
08-10-2012, 10:15

I love the "logic" that produces decisions like this, too:

Hmm, there's a massacre in a theater that prohibited carrying weapons.

My theater doesn't prohibit carrying weapons.

It will be much safer if I prohibit carrying weapons in my theater!

WTF?