"Survivalist Gear" may bring charges on Ohio man [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : "Survivalist Gear" may bring charges on Ohio man

DEREKtotheMAX
08-07-2012, 22:16
http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#/video/us/2012/08/08/tsr-tell-feyerick-possible-ohio-copycat-theater-shooter.cnn

I eagerly await this discussion.

Happypuppy
08-07-2012, 22:34
That is a quite a story. That is all it seems to be ....Has he a criminal record? I suspect he was paranoid but that is just a gut feeling much like the story is, just feeding paranoia.

Sent via Mental Power

Lampshade
08-07-2012, 22:57
Pretty sure the charges are the result of his carrying a concealed weapon without the proper license, not possession of survival gear.

janice6
08-07-2012, 23:13
Pretty sure the charges are the result of his carrying a concealed weapon without the proper license, not possession of survival gear.

I hope this is the case and not just paranoia.

I am in fear of being arrested for having a vehicle that is capable of killing pedestrians just walking down the street, while I am purportedly "going shopping".

We are becoming a bunch of fearful Europeans.

racerford
08-07-2012, 23:35
What's his screen name?

Steff1
08-08-2012, 06:12
They served a warrant at his house and the news is making a big deal about the "large" quantities of ammo he had plus a tact vest and gas mask.....The interviewed neighbors were shocked.

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-08-2012, 06:44
In Ohio you can't CCW legally in puplic spaces? Or you are inelligable for a CCW if you are on any prescription meds? And, apparently, according to the police spokesman, "being into that kind of stuff" is wrong?

That entire piece of "news" is horsepoop.

I always sit at the back center of the theater.. and I CCW...

kirgi08
08-08-2012, 07:04
tagged.

cowboy1964
08-08-2012, 10:19
That CNN report was absolutely pathetic. I'm not even going to bother to list all the crap they spouted.

He didn't have a CHL, from what I've read but of course CNN didn't even specify it either way. Pathetic journalism. These people are freaking morons.

"A bag that didn't look quite right". Um ok. This is why you don't use "tactical" bags.

itstime
08-08-2012, 10:30
Tagged

BR549
08-08-2012, 10:32
tagged

sebecman
08-08-2012, 12:02
What got him arrested was the tactical looking bag concealing an illigeally concealled firearm.

When they searched his house they of course took notice of all the gear he had stashed.

A shame really, probably just a guy that wanted to protect himself....probbaly no intentions whatsoever of shooting the place up.

Warp
08-08-2012, 17:38
We are not far off from turning into Great Britain.

This will be us (at least Kali and some NE states) pretty soon.

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/1013959.bullet_found_in_doorway/

jellis11
08-08-2012, 18:04
I agree with Warp. A lot of times I feel like we are going to become a police state very soon.

I used to be a videographer for a news station and they would make the most one sided blown out stories of nothing. It was so frustrating to shoot stuff then edit it into a political statement that I quit.

Kingarthurhk
08-08-2012, 18:12
Well, I guess Ohio is on the gay pansy list of states. CCL to protect yourself from the crazies and you get called a crazy.

Sam Spade
08-08-2012, 18:58
We are not far off from turning into Great Britain.

This will be us (at least Kali and some NE states) pretty soon.

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/1013959.bullet_found_in_doorway/

That's just silly. Weve got Heller and MacDonald on the national level. We've got a tidal wave of shall-issue, castle doctrine and preemption of municipal silliness at the state level. We've got multiple states going to permitless carry. There are more and more suits in the pipeline that are positive for the RKBA: MD is the most recent. Numbers of permits issued continues to rise, places (like restaurant/bars) available to carry continues to rise. By every metric, we're winning.

We are NOT on the UK path right now.

Warp
08-08-2012, 19:51
That's just silly. Weve got Heller and MacDonald on the national level. We've got a tidal wave of shall-issue, castle doctrine and preemption of municipal silliness at the state level. We've got multiple states going to permitless carry. There are more and more suits in the pipeline that are positive for the RKBA: MD is the most recent. Numbers of permits issued continues to rise, places (like restaurant/bars) available to carry continues to rise. By every metric, we're winning.

For many states, yes. Some states are stagnant (in a very bad position) or even going backwards (like Kali). Some of those states have a lot of pull at the federal level...and the Supreme Court isn't likely to stay 'conservative' for all that long (if you can consider them conservative now, even).

auto-5
08-08-2012, 20:20
Don't carry a man purse.

Ruggles
08-08-2012, 20:32

Very true, it would seems that some forget all of the positives that have occurred over the last couple of decades regarding firearm laws. Even the biggest negative (AWB) expired and died not to be reborn. Vigilance is great but needs to be based in realism IMO.

Steff1
08-09-2012, 05:31
don't carry a man purse.
^226972

ray9898
08-09-2012, 07:51
Nothing more than a journalist playing loosley off the 'prepper' aspect since it is currently a mainstream buzz word due to the TV shows. The real story is he was simply arrested for carrying a gun without a permit.

quake
08-09-2012, 08:00
Don't carry a man purse.

As I understand it, his gun was on him, not in his bag; but I agree with the above, especially for carrying your gun. Remember that a lot of places - including movie theaters - have a policy of "all bags are subject to search. Mostly to keep people from bringing in non-concession-stand snacks, but the "why" really doesn't matter. They can search your bag if they want. What they CAN'T do is search you personally; at least most places.

It's also usually a bad idea to carry off-body anyway imo. It's usually slower, and it's a whole lot easier to get separated from your gun. I get that it's a lot more convenient & comfortable, but a certain degree of discomfort & inconvenience is well worth the benefits imo. I'm sitting here in jeans & a tucked-in shirt with a small 9mm pistol in an IWB-tuckable, just barely to the right of center of my waist; right next to Mr. Weasel. Any guy tries to get his hands on it there, well, we're going to have all kinds of issues regardless of whether I had a gun or not.

All that said, as I understand it, the guy was legally open-carrying, and charges have been dropped. So apparently nothing illegal actually happened. Somebody just got all emotional and irrational when they became frightened by an inanimate object and the cops (probably rightly, as much as I hate to say it) erred on the side of caution in the situation.

Lampshade
08-09-2012, 08:11
=
All that said, as I understand it, the guy was legally open-carrying, and charges have been dropped.

You are confusing two separate events.

The guy that OC'ed in CO had charges dropped, this happened in Ohio.

quake
08-09-2012, 08:18
Oop; you're right, my bad.

Further reinforces the "don't carry off-body" policy imo.

sebecman
08-09-2012, 08:18
We had a similar one in Maine a few weeks back. Guy carried in a backpack during the showing of Dark Knight...didn't help his case that the next day he was pulled over speeding on 95 with multiple weapons, on his way to kill his ex-boss....:wow:

I asked my wife last weekend if she wanted to see a movie, she said hell no.

RatDrall
08-10-2012, 05:03
How can they justify seizing all of his gear because of a weapons charge?

UneasyRider
08-10-2012, 06:18
How can they justify seizing all of his gear because of a weapons charge?

Justify to who?

Warp
08-10-2012, 07:26
Justify to who?

Tis the problem, alright. :sad:

Dirk Pitt
08-10-2012, 10:11
tagged

Really off topic but what does "tagged" mean? I see that all through different threads.

itstime
08-10-2012, 10:26
Really off topic but what does "tagged" mean? I see that all through different threads.

For me I have email notifications on. If I put tagged in I can rad all the replies to the topic.

It's usually when I have nothing to say but want to read the replies from others on the topic.

Stevekozak
08-10-2012, 10:47
That is a pathetic news story. Unless it is true that that you can't carry concealed or otherwise in a movie theater there ( story says any public place, isn't anywhere outside your damn home a public place?) there is nothing illegal that happens. I think a lot of us try to sit with back to the wall as much as possible. And (hopefully) most of us are carrying. Typical sensationalistic journalism with a pronounced liberal lean.

Warp
08-10-2012, 11:56

It means that that person does not know how to use the Thread Tools --> Subscribe to thread option.

Or it means that that person wants everybody to know that they are reading the thread, but they don't have anything to add at that time.

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-10-2012, 11:57

Dang Warp beat me by a minute (or less)

It means they either don't know how, or choose not to click "thread tools" at the top of the page.. and then click "subscribe to thread"

So once they have posted in the thread, or subscribed, it will come to the top in "My Replies", and/or they will get an email, whenever there is a new post(s).

I believe some people do it to boost their post count also.

UneasyRider
08-10-2012, 12:29
Dang Warp beat me by a minute (or less)

It means they either don't know how, or choose not to click "thread tools" at the top of the page.. and then click "subscribe to thread"

So once they have posted in the thread, or subscribed, it will come to the top in "My Replies", and/or they will get an email, whenever there is a new post(s).

I believe some people do it to boost their post count also.

Do people really care about their post count?

Warp
08-10-2012, 12:34
Do people really care about their post count?

Some people do, probably because they and/or others incorrectly believe post count correlates to knowledge or experience.

BR549
08-10-2012, 13:02
:dunno: I thought it was a game! :dunno:

When I see someone do it, I do it! :wavey:

I thought we were just playing a game of tag! :tongueout:

tagged :rofl:

Pitt
08-15-2012, 15:44
This story is horrible journalism. I would like to see where this goes.

Linh40
08-17-2012, 14:17
It's the news so there is a lot of stuff said that may be wrong and also there are a lot of stuff the cops didn't tell the media so like always we don't have the whole story.

So if they arrest him then it's because they have some evidence that we don't know about. Yeah I rarely watch the news cause it's mainly bs.

Warp
08-17-2012, 18:57
It's the news so there is a lot of stuff said that may be wrong and also there are a lot of stuff the cops didn't tell the media so like always we don't have the whole story.

So if they arrest him then it's because they have some evidence that we don't know about. Yeah I rarely watch the news cause it's mainly bs.

That is not an assumption I am willing to make.

I'd love to see "the full story" whenever it finally comes out to see why they did what they did. Hopefully somebody will keep this thread up to date with that if/when it happesn

Spiffums
08-18-2012, 17:56
In Ohio you can't CCW legally in puplic spaces? Or you are inelligable for a CCW if you are on any prescription meds? And, apparently, according to the police spokesman, "being into that kind of stuff" is wrong?

That entire piece of "news" is horsepoop.

I always sit at the back center of the theater.. and I CCW...

Best seat in the house isn't it! Right in the middle with no one behind you. My sister would fist fight for that seat if she could get it by brute force sometimes.