What are the Reliable and Well Built Kimber 1911s? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What are the Reliable and Well Built Kimber 1911s?

CDR_Glock
08-07-2012, 22:40
I was just curious which models in full size, Pro and Ultra that work flawlessly.

I see a high volume in the shops and they cannot keep them in stock. I had two Kimbers, bother Raptor IIs: Ultra and Pro. They didn't work out for me.

glock2740
08-07-2012, 22:43
All 9 Kimbers I have owned have been 100%. Still own 7 of them, including all 3 sizes of the Raptor. :dunno:

janice6
08-07-2012, 23:00
I only own an old Kimber custom Stainless and it has never had a hicup in 15 years I have had it.

I love this gun and it is my standard reference for what a sweet shooting gun should be. Never even gave a thought to what ammo I used, it just always worked.

Buy and old one.

rock185
08-07-2012, 23:19
Hello CDR, I've owned five full-sized Kimbers over a period of several years. Four of the five worked from day one. One had an easily correctable issue. I wouldn't know how to predict that any partucular gun would work flawlessly, but the four Target IIs I've had worked 100% for me. I still have one Kimber, a Target II in 9MM, that has performed flawlessly since day one...

matt_lowry123
08-08-2012, 06:18
I have a full size target 2, and a ultra carry 2. I've never had a problem with either.

SigFTW
08-08-2012, 07:42
I have the Stainless II full size and never had a problem, it's about 4+ years old. It is one fine shooting pistol!!

bac1023
08-08-2012, 08:49
I own three Kimbers, including their least and most expensive. They all run like champs.

GiveMeLiberty
08-08-2012, 08:59
The only one I've owned was a Tactical Custom II (5" barrel). I sold it last week for financial reasons, but in shooting 1300 rounds through it (various weights & manufacturers, including +P) I never had any problems. It was my primary carry gun for 2 years. The only malfunctions were 2 or 3 in the first 200 rounds (break in period). Also, I had a 10 round Wilson Combat mag that often induced feeding problems. When sticking to standard 8-round Wilson Combat mags or 8-round KimPro Tac mags it worked flawlessly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

SpringerTGO
08-08-2012, 10:36
Kimber sells their most reliable models under a different name. They call them Springfields.:rofl:

glock_19guy1983
08-08-2012, 11:36
Kimber sells their most reliable models under a different name. They call them Springfields.:rofl:

yeah cause we all know third world ****holes like brazil produce the best gunsmiths.

Ruggles
08-08-2012, 11:48
I have owned the following;

UCII
Ultra Raptor II
Warrior
TLE II
Custom II

All were great 1911s except the UCII which was a horrid POS, worst 1911 I have ever owned. That being said I still think Kimber builds a fine 1911 and would think the TLE II is one of the best "bang for the buck" 1911s out there. I do not currently own any Kimbers but would buy one again without a second thought.

cowboy85306
08-08-2012, 12:49
Howdy- Have a Stainless Target II in 9mm- this one even feeds 9mm rounds from a few 38 Super mags I still have around. Trigger pull was easily adjusted to just under 4 pounds. Except for a PLASTIC mainspring housing (NOT what I'd expect on a gun costing this much, but what do I know after shooting since the 1970's ) and those all the mass production rage MIM internals, it IS reliable with a huge variety of 9mm rounds.

SpringerTGO
08-08-2012, 13:13
yeah cause we all know third world ****holes like brazil produce the best gunsmiths.

Well, we all know the best gunsmiths live in New York,the most gun loving state in the country.

glock_19guy1983
08-08-2012, 13:24
Well, we all know the best gunsmiths live in New York,the most gun loving state in the country.

at least it is still a state here in the US. Keep sending your money to brazil if you want to. I could care less, but dont knock kimbers while carrying a south american springer.

Glock_en_speil
08-08-2012, 13:25
CDR Glock,

While Kimber does build some very good looking guns a significant number of their recent production has been troubled. Go check out the Kimber sub-forum at 1911.com and see for yourself. If you absolutely have your heart set on a Kimber then I would stick to a full size (5") gun because those have fewer issues regardless of manufacturer. I would also follow the Kimber break-in instructions to the letter keeping the gun well lubricated and shooting 300-500 rounds of 230g FMJ through it before you fully trust the gun. Kimber builds very tight fitting guns and although the word "custom" appears in the name of their models they are anything but. The slide to frame fit is not hand lapped as it would be if it were a true custom. The break-in Kimber suggests helps the slide to frame fit. Finally, I would also consider purchasing Kimber Kim Pro or Wilson Combat magazines as the stock Kimber magazines aren't very high quality and in some cases are the source of the issues.

Now all that being said I would also consider other 1911 makers who are putting out better products at the moment. One such offering is the Range Officer from Springfield Armory. These are one of the best value 1911's on the market right now for under 1K. They are exceptionally accurate and most will run well straight out of the box. Springfield Armory left off some features to keep the price reasonable. For instance there is no checkering on the front strap and the front sight is plain black which of course can be changed to a fiber optic or tritium site quite easily if you prefer. If you want something with a few more features straight from the box then I'd suggest the Springfield TRP which features front strap checkering, an ambi-safety, night sights and an upgraded finish. This model will set you back about 1.5K. While it's true that Springfield Armory has many of their 1911 models produced by Imbel in Brazil, both the Range Officer and TRP are made in the USA.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

ancient_serpent
08-08-2012, 13:42
+1 on the Wilson mags, not a fan of the Kimber ones. That said, my Warrior has been a great gun, and my Pro CDP II is my EDC gun. No problems to speak of.

SpringerTGO
08-08-2012, 14:11
at least it is still a state here in the US. Keep sending your money to brazil if you want to. I could care less, but dont knock kimbers while carrying a south american springer.

My experience with Kimber was horrible. Their American service sucked. The gun was a pos out of the box and when I got it back (after 6 weeks) from repair.
My Springfield TGO1 is a better 1911 than ANYTHING Kimber makes. Springfields service is also in another class. Not only is their service faster and personal, they went so far as to recommend and get Wilson parts for my application. Try that with Kimber.

clancy
08-08-2012, 15:47
My experience with Kimber was horrible. Their American service sucked. The gun was a pos out of the box and when I got it back (after 6 weeks) from repair.
My Springfield TGO1 is a better 1911 than ANYTHING Kimber makes. Springfields service is also in another class. Not only is their service faster and personal, they went so far as to recommend and get Wilson parts for my application. Try that with Kimber.

You, too? My Taurus PT1911 is a far better pistol than my Kimber was. Of course, I had no experience at all with Taurus' customer service, but I had a lot of experience with Kimber's, and will never own another Kimber.

CharlestonG26
08-08-2012, 18:44
I've owned three Kimbers, Custom, and TLE) and never had a problem. In fact, the TLE is one of my favorite 1911s for range practice.

fasteddie565
08-08-2012, 19:46
A Raptor Pro was my first NEW Kimber. I had problems with it and developed this patented method for breaking in new Kimber 1911's.

Its patented so don't tell anyone. :whistling:

Disassemble and coat the rails and the slide with cheap white colgate toothpaste. Reassemble and cycle the action 200 times or until the toothpaste gets grey and sludgy.

Clean, recoat, 200 more cycles, clean thoroughly and lubricate. You will see, especially on blues guns or coated guns, areas that are shiny or at least where the coating has worn away. These are the high spots they want you to wear down with 300 rds of break in ammo.

I just did it to my new Gold Combat and shot 200 rds of reloads with no issues.

Remember its patented so keep it to yourself.......

My TLE II SS is one of my favorites

I shoot Kim Pro mags exclusively in my Kimbers.

CDR_Glock
08-09-2012, 00:11
Thanks for the responses. I suppose with the volume of sales, they cannot be that bad. There are a few styles that do interest me.

However, I've been trying to find a good deal on a Wilson CQB Elite or one of their Supergrade Varieties.

For now, I'll just work on the 1911s I have til I find a Kimber that catches my eye (Stainless Raptor Full Sized, for example).

GOOFA
08-09-2012, 00:52
I have a Custom II, 2 Ultra Crimson Carry II's, a Ultra Carry II and had a Pro CDP II. All of them except for the Pro CDP II have been flawless and 100% reliable.

Berto
08-09-2012, 02:17
No complaints with my Cust II, about 2K thru it so far, including the Black Hills lwsc 200gr stuff. Good pistol.

kirgi08
08-09-2012, 02:20
1st gen........ .'08.

Cadcom
08-09-2012, 21:38
I'll respond to the OP first: My CDP and Ultra Tactical II have ran great. I use Wilson 47's and never had a problem.

Now on to the gate crashers: I traded my Springer Loaded 5" for a S&W 686 so I could get 6 rounds off without failure to feed. If you like heavily coated and somewhat rough finishes and tool marks then look south of the border to Springfield. I'm sure personal mileage may vary but unless it says M1A I wouldn't have a Springfield. Their EMP is an over priced joke. But that's just mine and two of my range buddies experience.

PlasticGuy
08-09-2012, 23:59
I have had very good luck with several Kimbers. Still, some are statistically more reliable than others. Full sized 1911's will always have a better chance of being reliable. With Kimbers in particular, their earlier guns to be a little more trouble free. I have an early Custom Stainless that has seen thousands of rounds in training and practice, and has had exactly one malfunction in a decade of use. Hard to beat that.

Snaps
08-10-2012, 00:26
I have a gold match target and an eclipse. Both 100%

CDR_Glock
08-10-2012, 00:40

Early versions, Gold Cup, and many in general.

I suppose I wrote them off but should give them another chance. I just like how the SS Raptors look. I'm into full size or Pro size, anyways.

FLAWLS1
08-10-2012, 13:55
I have a Kimber TLE/RL II and it has been absolutely flawless for the last 2 years. I bought it new and even during the "break in period" it has been great.

Huevos
08-10-2012, 14:05
There's a bunch of Clackamas Kimbers listed on Gun Broker and Auction Arms. Not mine but I haven't seen this many for sale ever. Even one lot of 20 guns.... :faint:

Snaps
08-10-2012, 14:49
I have a Kimber TLE/RL II and it has been absolutely flawless for the last 2 years. I bought it new and even during the "break in period" it has been great.

If I'm not mistaken that's their LAPD SWAT gun right? Those are looks great, I may actually pick one up.

Disregarded9-side
08-10-2012, 19:55
My experience, after having shot a good number of Kimbers and owned one, has been that the full-sized 'Custom' models are extremely reliable. The Ultras I know about personally don't seem to malfunction.

I owned a Pro model and have shot a lot of others. If you get it from the factory and it works, it will probably always extremely reliable. If you get one and it's not too hot, it's probably a lemon, and I personally wouldn't feel comfortable carrying it. The aluminum frames seem to be problematic somehow; though I can't say that the HD Pros seem too much better.

YMMV. I bought a Kimber in the first place because I knew a good number of people with them who think the world of them.
But they don't shoot as much as I do.

In2deep
08-10-2012, 21:10
I like the ultra models!

RCP
08-11-2012, 00:27
I own and carry a series 1 Pro Carry and it has always been 100% reliable.

Ranger45
08-11-2012, 06:55
Custom TLE II here. Flawless for five years.

jrs93accord
08-11-2012, 20:18
With 16 various Kimbers, I have yet to have one with a problem.

ArmoryDoc
08-11-2012, 22:26
Kimbers are not bad guns over all. All the ones that I had work well after a break in.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

FLAWLS1
08-13-2012, 01:57
If I'm not mistaken that's their LAPD SWAT gun right? Those are looks great, I may actually pick one up.

I'm not sure, but you might be right.

Disregarded9-side
08-13-2012, 16:55
This story comes up frequently when talking about Kimbers in my neck of the woods--mainly because of how typical this behavior is of the spending-with-no-bounds Dixiecrat state government:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/02/06/971004/ales-pricey-guns-prove-unreliable.html

ALE Director John Ledford said the Kimber pistols repeatedly suffered such problems as rounds jamming during training exercises, broken sights and the weapon's safety button sometimes falling off.

For those of y'all that don't know, ALE is "Alcohol Law Enforcement".

kirgi08
08-14-2012, 07:50
This story comes up frequently when talking about Kimbers in my neck of the woods--mainly because of how typical this behavior is of the spending-with-no-bounds Dixiecrat state government:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/02/06/971004/ales-pricey-guns-prove-unreliable.html

For those of y'all that don't know, ALE is "Alcohol Law Enforcement".

"Safety button",from a LEO.'08. :faint:

We live in Buncombe/Madison county NC.I know the article,we shoot against them folks and most of the local LEOs.They be upset.:whistling:

Disregarded9-side
08-14-2012, 11:24
Kirgi I didn't know you were a Tar Heel; one side of my family is from Madison County (Marshall). They avoid the hippies in Buncombe these days :(

Z28ricer
08-16-2012, 10:49
Kimber UltraCarry II NS/LG

Bought in 2006, still working great, though the finger activation pad for the lasergrips is about worn through, guess its time for a new set :crying:

plouffedaddy
08-16-2012, 13:30
I tried to stay away from topic but I just can't :wavey:

The majority of the older (roughly 5 years old or older) Kimbers I see at my range/in my basic pistol classes run fine.

The newer ones seem to have more problems than most other guns out there. I don't have a dog in the fight---just one man's observations. I had one of these newer ones (2010 built Ultra) and it was very unreliable and I sold it to a gunsmith to use for a project gun. I woundn't buy another one from what I've seen as of late.

Some run just fine, but many don't. It seems to be a higher percentage than other large 1911 makers (Springfield, S&W, Colt, RIA, ect...) but that's just what I've seen.

SpringerTGO
08-16-2012, 16:37
I tried to stay away from topic but I just can't :wavey:

The majority of the older (roughly 5 years old or older) Kimbers I see at my range/in my basic pistol classes run fine.

The newer ones seem to have more problems than most other guns out there. I don't have a dog in the fight---just one man's observations. I had one of these newer ones (2010 built Ultra) and it was very unreliable and I sold it to a gunsmith to use for a project gun. I woundn't buy another one from what I've seen as of late.

Some run just fine, but many don't. It seems to be a higher percentage than other large 1911 makers (Springfield, S&W, Colt, RIA, ect...) but that's just what I've seen.

My POS Kimber was a Super Carry Ultra. Never again.

MD357
08-16-2012, 23:07
Their EMP is an over priced joke

You're right, Springfield should have installed some cheap MIM parts, a worthless FPS, cut some scallops in the frame, called it a "Raptor" or something tactical and jacked the price up $400.

SpringerTGO
08-17-2012, 17:48

Let's see....It's OK to send your money to Austria glock_19guy? What about Germany? I kind of like H&K, SIG, and Walther. What about Italy? You don't like Beretta?
Or is it just something about Brazil? I own some of the best handguns made in Germany and Switzerland, and I'd put my Springfield TGO1 up against any of them, for workmanship, reliability, and accuracy.
By the way, what other companies demand you blow through a 500 rounds of ammunition before they honor their warranty? Just to deburr the rough finish they were to cheap to polish at the factory.
All of my Glocks, Sigs, Walthers, Springfields, and H&K's were reliable out of the box, and nowhere did they say I needed to waste a bunch of ammunition before I could trust them.

Dubble-Tapper
08-18-2012, 12:54
Let's see....It's OK to send your money to Austria glock_19guy? What about Germany? I kind of like H&K, SIG, and Walther. What about Italy? You don't like Beretta?
Or is it just something about Brazil? I own some of the best handguns made in Germany and Switzerland, and I'd put my Springfield TGO1 up against any of them, for workmanship, reliability, and accuracy.
By the way, what other companies demand you blow through a 500 rounds of ammunition before they honor their warranty? Just to deburr the rough finish they were to cheap to polish at the factory.
All of my Glocks, Sigs, Walthers, Springfields, and H&K's were reliable out of the box, and nowhere did they say I needed to waste a bunch of ammunition before I could trust them.

:supergrin: oh snap!!

MarkCO
10-07-2012, 17:38
I've unapproved the last three posts.

G schutze, we do allow discussion, disagreement, opinion...however, when you start attacking people, feel free to leave.

Rinspeed
10-07-2012, 17:51
I've unapproved the last three posts.

Sorry Mark. :wavey:

denn1911
10-07-2012, 18:11
I bought a 5" Kimber Custom Stainless II in 2002, and it has about 20k trouble free rounds through it. I have a Kimber Tactical Pro II, which had some fail to feed issues initially. Kimber had it back to me within 10 days, and it's been 100% since. My last 1911 purchase was a S.A. MC Operator.

CA Escapee
10-09-2012, 18:32
Stainless Target II, 9mm, and Stainless Compact II, .45.

Both with stainless uppers and lowers and internal extractors; work 100%.

Bill

GVFlyer
10-09-2012, 19:57
The only 1911 That I've ever had that simply could not be made to function reliably was a Kimber Ultra Raptor II.

If you want a Kimber, look for a pre-II series, pre-Swartz firing pin safety, standard-sized model marked Clackamas, Oregun.

ilgunguygt
10-09-2012, 21:27
Knock Kimber all you want but your Springfields that arent brazillian are built in my homestate of IL. Worse than New York, at least in NY you can get a carry permit.

SpringerTGO
10-09-2012, 21:43
Knock Kimber all you want but your Springfields that arent brazillian are built in my homestate of IL. Worse than New York, at least in NY you can get a carry permit.

And a handgun manufactured in a state that issues permits is somehow better? :rofl:
That explains a lot.

MarkCO
10-09-2012, 21:46
Can we talk about 1911s...???

ilgunguygt
10-09-2012, 22:11
And a handgun manufactured in a state that issues permits is somehow better? :rofl:
That explains a lot.
Yeah, that was as stupid as your comment, thats why I put it there. Its amazing you could laugh at that comment and not realize how idiotic yours was! I guess the irony is lost on you, though, isnt it?:tongueout:

The point is, why does it matter if the state is anti-gun? I bet you would be surprised at the number of gun companies that operate and build guns in long time anti-gun state.

SpringerTGO
10-10-2012, 09:28
I didn't realize that N.Y. is the bastion of gun makers in the U.S. That would explain the quality coming out of Kimbers custom shop.

Lots of people have working Kimbers. Good for them. But lots of us got garbage from Kimber too. And to say "my Kimber is good so ignore all the issues others have with poor quality, service, etc" is b.s.

And the fact that Kimber doesn't even want to talk to their customers about repairs until the customers have wasted 500 rounds of ammo is b.s. too.

wingspar
10-10-2012, 10:03
When one reads so much negative stuff about a certain gun manufacture, there must be some truth to the problems people are experiencing. The complaints about Kimber have been around for some time. At least 4 or 5 years it seems. Because of that and price, I did not even consider Kimber for my first 1911. However, I have bought guns that take a negative beating on the forums, and have had zero problems with them, but it would take some serious persuasion from someone to get me to spend that much money on a Kimber right now.