New Glock 21 Gen 4 ejects brass all over [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Glock 21 Gen 4 ejects brass all over

TheGlockTalker
08-07-2012, 23:17
Hi, still new to this forum.

I got a new Glock 21 Gen 4 a couple of days ago and wanted to ask if you could help me.

It's a great gun and I love shooting it but it spits brass all over me. Hot brass raining over you gets tiring after a while.

Is this just because the gun is still new, shot 300 rounds today, or is there something wrong with it?
The date on the spent casing is Apr 2012.

Thanks for your input.

scoobtay
08-08-2012, 00:26
Haven't heard of the gen 4 21's having issues yet, but its probably an issue with the extractor just like some of the other gen 4's are struggling with right now. Seems like a fair assumption to make. Could also be weak ammo, did you shoot factory loads or reloads?

diamondd2
08-08-2012, 00:41

I got a new Glock 21 Gen 4 a couple of days ago and wanted to ask if you could help me.

It's a great gun and I love shooting it but it spits brass all over me. Hot brass raining over you gets tiring after a while.

Is this just because the gun is still new, shot 300 rounds today, or is there something wrong with it?

Thanks for your input.

I just started a thread on the G21 Gen4 ejection problems today. Post your info here: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1436412

TheGlockTalker
08-08-2012, 00:43
Hope I don't have to send it to Glock......yikes.....hate that kind of stuff.

I shot both factory (PMC, WWB) and my reloads.
100 factory and 200 reloads.
Made no difference.

Thanks

Z71bill
08-08-2012, 08:50

Thanks for your input.

My GEN4 G21 has a test fire date of April 10, 2012 - serial number STL7??

I have fired - Winchester, Blazer, Federal & Fiocchi all in 230 GR FMJ and Fiocchi 230 GR HP's.

No issues with brass to the face -

PAGunner
08-08-2012, 08:59
Uh oh, just a matter of time before the Gaston's Kool aid drinking zealots pop up.

OP, solution is simple, wear a hat & glasses at all times, shoot homeboy style or trade gun in for M&P or XDm, whichever floats your boat, cause Glock doesn't seem to give a crap their new guns don't run right.

Socks tear
08-08-2012, 09:01
My GEN4 G21 has a test fire date of April 10, 2012 - serial number STL7??

I have fired - Winchester, Blazer, Federal & Fiocchi all in 230 GR FMJ and Fiocchi 230 GR HP's.

No issues with brass to the face -

1,000 rounds through our G21 Gen 4, just from a barrel of misc mixed ammo, absolutely no problems. Hold the gun correctly helps

cowboy1964
08-08-2012, 10:05
1,000 rounds through our G21 Gen 4, just from a barrel of misc mixed ammo, absolutely no problems. Hold the gun correctly helps

None of my other guns stop working correctly unless I hold it correctly. Sounds like Glocks are just pretty crappy.

Hope you can hold it correctly when your life is on the line. :whistling:

TheGlockTalker
08-08-2012, 10:25
Hold the gun correctly helps

Hold the gun correctly?
You must be kidding.
I suppose my G21 Gen 3 has been held correctly all these years and so have my 26, 19, 17 and 22 because this has never happened with them.

Could you tell me exactly what angle is the correct angle with the 21 gen 4's to make sure I don't get burn marks in my face from hot brass?
I'd really like to know.
I think the top of the slide is pretty close to being perfectly horizontal.
In the mean time the only fix I can think of is a ski mask and a heavy sweater.

Andy W
08-08-2012, 10:55
Sorry to hear you are experiencing the BTF issue with your new 21. I bought a G22 Gen 4 last week and I've put approximately 150 rounds through it with hopefully another 100 later this week. I haven't had any brass hit me in the face yet but I have had a couple of rounds of WWB eject vertically and land at my feet while shooting single handed. However there are plenty of others who have had BTF with their .40s and 9mms recently and I don't discount their stories just because mine hasn't done it. But then I really haven't put many rounds through mine yet. And now you are reporting it with your 21. More I hear about this, the more I think it is a multivariate issue. Could be the ejector, extractor, ammo, shooter's grip, ejection port design, crud built up in the chamber, etc. These are all possible explanations I've seen offered at one time or another.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

barth
08-08-2012, 10:57
There's a rumor Apex will release a Glock Extractor soon.

I hope that's not like the single stack 9mm Glock.
Or the Glock carbine.
http://sedulia.blogs.com/photos/england/loch_ness_monster.jpg

9mm +p+
08-08-2012, 11:00
Uh oh, just a matter of time before the Gaston's Kool aid drinking zealots pop up.

OP, solution is simple, wear a hat & glasses at all times, shoot homeboy style or trade gun in for M&P or XDm, whichever floats your boat, cause Glock doesn't seem to give a crap their new guns don't run right.

Or just find a used Gen 3, I wouldn't take a gen 4 if it was free.

TheGlockTalker
08-08-2012, 11:54
I've put approximately 150 rounds through it with hopefully another 100 later this week. .....
But then I really haven't put many rounds through mine yet.

The way my 21 is behaving you would know before you're done unloading the first magazine.
This isn't a sporadic thing where one or two in thousand rounds does something weird.

TheGlockTalker
08-08-2012, 11:57
I wanted to add that the serial is: TAPxxx

PAGunner
08-08-2012, 12:42
Or just find a used Gen 3, I wouldn't take a gen 4 if it was free.
or this as well, anything with an L or earlier serial is safe, maybe M, N and possibly O as well.

TheExplorer
08-08-2012, 12:54
Two options are sell it or keep sending it back to Glock on your shipping dime.

Beanie-Bean
08-08-2012, 13:53
I have an SHDxxx G21 Gen4, test fired on 11/16/2011 which only acted funny if I loaded ammo on the minimum range. At 850 fps with 230 gr. projectiles, and 950 fps with 185 gr. projectiles, it works like a champ.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Glock/ae0af1e3.jpg

It's been my .45ACP test platform for the different powders and bullets I've tried. Additionally, I haven't had any problems with factory ammo at all.

I hope that you can get yours working well, because this model is also my favorite of all the Glocks I have.

youngdocglock
08-08-2012, 13:56
I heard a rumor that if you sing to a glock every night, in a soft motherly tone. It will eject the brass into a 4 inch squared pattern 3 feet to the right of the gun on dead center.................

TheGlockTalker
08-08-2012, 15:16
I heard a rumor that if you sing to a glock every night, in a soft motherly tone. It will eject the brass into a 4 inch squared pattern 3 feet to the right of the gun on dead center.................

That'll work. . . . whatever it takes....

I will try this tonight before it goes to sleep.

diamondd2
08-08-2012, 16:43
I have an SHDxxx G21 Gen4, test fired on 11/16/2011 which only acted funny if I loaded ammo on the minimum range. At 850 fps with 230 gr. projectiles, and 950 fps with 185 gr. projectiles, it works like a champ.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Glock/ae0af1e3.jpg

It's been my .45ACP test platform for the different powders and bullets I've tried. Additionally, I haven't had any problems with factory ammo at all.

I hope that you can get yours working well, because this model is also my favorite of all the Glocks I have.

Out of curiosity. What are the numbers on your ejector and extractor?

zj96sc
08-08-2012, 16:55
I've put a couple hundred rounds through the Gen4 G21 rental at my local range - I'm sure this thing has had thousands of rounds through it with minimal mx and cleaning.

All reloads. The only BTF came from brass bouncing off the lane dividers. I set the plastic tote they give you to carry your rental to my right against the lane divider (roughly to the gun's 4/5 o'clock) and probably 75-85% of my brass winds up in that tote. Seems to be pretty consistent.

Happy enough with it that I'll be buying one.

Good luck with yours.

WinterWizard
08-08-2012, 16:58

Thanks for your input.

Do you clean your gun, specifically the breech face and extractor? Do you lube properly? What is your grip and stance? Can you post a video? What ammo are you using?

Really, folks - why everytime someone posts a ejection thread do we just assume it's not a simple problem? You have to rule out the basics first.

It's like calling your mechanic and saying, "Hey, my car isn't running right - what's wrong with it?"

Mechanic: "I don't know. Can you bring it in so I can verify it and diagnose the problem?"

You: "No, I will not bring it in. Just take my word for it and assume it is no fault of my own. Please use your psychic powers to diagnose my problem." :rofl:

And I find it curious that most of these ejection threads are from new or newish users. How many can be attributed to agents from competing gun companies? And if you think this doesn't occur, you are extremely naive.

9mm +p+
08-08-2012, 18:10

Really? Mine typically passes out drunk before I can sing to it:rofl:

Marred
08-08-2012, 18:18
Save yourself time and trouble and send it back to Glock. Get them to pay shipping, they'll do it.

GaryC
08-08-2012, 19:05
Really? Mine typically passes out drunk before I can sing to it:rofl:

:yourock:

TRX450R_Racer
08-08-2012, 19:12
Gen4 G21 just under 500 rounds

EGHV0009 - YouTube

EGHV0011 - YouTube

Swamprattler
08-08-2012, 19:19
I have followed the Gen 4 G21 since it first came out, on several web sites, and this is the first negative comment I have seen. Mine has been flawless over several hundred rounds. Sorry to hear about yours. Unless we start seeing more experiences like this, I would guess yours (unfortunately) is a fluke. I would send it to Glock if it continues. Good luck.

TRX450R_Racer
08-08-2012, 20:04
Wait until you get to about 500 rounds then report back.

TheGlockTalker
08-08-2012, 23:19
Do you clean your gun, specifically the breech face and extractor? Do you lube properly? What is your grip and stance? Can you post a video? What ammo are you using?

What's there to clean I was shooting the first 300 shots?
Yes I lubed it before I got started.
I use Weapon Sheild.
My grip is thumbs-forward, and it's definitely very tight.
Stance is Weaver.
No video.
I described the ammo in my second post, No. 4.

I'm not shooting this gun in anyway differently than I do my Gen 2's and 3's.

I have been shooting Glocks more or less since ca 1988 there should be no special babying required that I've never needed to do with the other generations anyway, especially when buying a weapon from a company that touts (and markets) reliability under any circumstances.

This gun is brand spanking new for crying out loud.

Your car sample makes no sense and is less than helpful to this conversation.

TheGlockTalker
08-08-2012, 23:21
Wait until you get to about 500 rounds then report back.

OK, I will do that.
I should have it at about 1500-2000 rounds by this time next week.

Thanks

TheGlockTalker
08-08-2012, 23:25
EGHV0009 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhHji_gG-KE&feature=plcp)
EGHV0011 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N3JO1QfU0A&feature=plcp)

Yes, this is about the same thing that's happening to me. No matter what brand name rounds I'm firing.
And if you have to shoot fast.........well......God help you from the skin burns.
Especially if you have to move fast to the right as you shoot. You are really moving into the hot brass showers.

WinterWizard
08-09-2012, 00:06
What's there to clean I was shooting the first 300 shots?
Yes I lubed it before I got started.
I use Weapon Sheild.
My grip is thumbs-forward, and it's definitely very tight.
Stance is Weaver.
No video.
I described the ammo in my second post, No. 4.

I'm not shooting this gun in anyway differently than I do my Gen 2's and 3's.

I have been shooting Glocks more or less since ca 1988 there should be no special babying required that I've never needed to do with the other generations anyway, especially when buying a weapon from a company that touts (and markets) reliability under any circumstances.

This gun is brand spanking new for crying out loud.

Your car sample makes no sense and is less than helpful to this conversation.

Thanks for your opinion.

PAGunner
08-09-2012, 03:13
Yes, this is about the same thing that's happening to me. No matter what brand name rounds I'm firing.
And if you have to shoot fast.........well......God help you from the skin burns.
Especially if you have to move fast to the right as you shoot. You are really moving into the hot brass showers.

Just be thankful it's a model 21 doing this to you and not a model 18. :rofl:

PAGunner
08-09-2012, 03:15

Ohz Noes, someone actually took a video showing the FUBAR ejection pattern... I'm sure the Kool Aid drinkers will continue to deny and blame the shooter and ammo (everything but the gun).

whitebread
08-09-2012, 07:55
I have a 21 Gen4 and get erratic ejection when shooting weak range ammo - particularly S&B, American Eagle, and Lawman 230 grain FMJ. My 850fps hand loads and defense ammo ejects perfectly. I am not too worried about it.

TRX450R_Racer
08-09-2012, 08:41
I remember when you were unlucky to get a bad Glock. Now you are lucky if you get a good one.

Z71bill
08-09-2012, 08:48

Are you shooting steel case ammo?

Andy W
08-09-2012, 08:48
I have a 21 Gen4 and get erratic ejection when shooting weak range ammo - particularly S&B, American Eagle, and Lawman 230 grain FMJ. My 850fps hand loads and defense ammo ejects perfectly. I am not too worried about it.

I don't know about S&B, but American Eagle and Lawman are not exactly "weak" range ammo. American Eagle feels pretty stout to me out of my M&P 9 and G22 and Speer Lawman is loaded to feel similar to Speer Gold Dots. Now, Federal Champion and WWB, those are weak range ammo.

whitebread
08-09-2012, 12:33
I don't know about S&B, but American Eagle and Lawman are not exactly "weak" range ammo. American Eagle feels pretty stout to me out of my M&P 9 and G22 and Speer Lawman is loaded to feel similar to Speer Gold Dots. Now, Federal Champion and WWB, those are weak range ammo.

Not sure what to tell you - those are the brands of range ammo I have tried and they have weak ejection. I haven't seen any cases go to the left, like in the video above, but they will only clear my right arm by 6" or so at the most. When I shoot my defense rounds, Winchester Ranger 230gr, they fly a good ten feet to the right (like they should). My hand loads are 7 grains of Power Pistol with Berry's 230 grain RN FMJ and they certainly don't dribble out like the store bought loads.

TheGlockTalker
08-09-2012, 12:38

I don't see how this is particularly weak ammo.

However none of this should matter.

Like I said my Gen 3 21 ejects any ammo just fine.
Whether it's my handloads or factory loads.
It could care less.

My 1911 which I took with me to the range on the first day I shot the 21 ejected all ammo just perfectly. Much more to the front, never had to worry about it. And I was shooting the exact same amo.

TheExplorer
08-09-2012, 13:10
I remember when you were unlucky to get a bad Glock. Now you are lucky if you get a good one.

Sad but true. Just shot a new 27 yesterday and I felt like it was my first time shooting I was so nervous. Fortunately it was perfect for the first few hundred rds. I'll pass the 500 mark in a week or two and know more.

Andy W
08-09-2012, 13:20
Not sure what to tell you - those are the brands of range ammo I have tried and they have weak ejection. I haven't seen any cases go to the left, like in the video above, but they will only clear my right arm by 6" or so at the most. When I shoot my defense rounds, Winchester Ranger 230gr, they fly a good ten feet to the right (like they should). My hand loads are 7 grains of Power Pistol with Berry's 230 grain RN FMJ and they certainly don't dribble out like the store bought loads.

I believe you. It's just that I've never seen Speer Lawman and American Eagle referred to as "weak" before. Those are what I usually buy when I when I don't want to shoot up my hollow points but I want some stouter range ammo. I don't know about .45 but in 9mm I can definitely feel the difference between Federal Champion from Walmart and American Eagle. Same thing with WWB 165 grain .40 and American Eagle 165.

whitebread
08-09-2012, 13:32
It's just that I've never seen Speer Lawman and American Eagle referred to as "weak" before.

Maybe weak was a bad word to use. 'Lower velocity than self defense rounds' is probably more PC? :cool:

Socks tear
08-09-2012, 14:31
26 years of shooting Glocks of all 4 generations, owned over 30 of them. Never had any issues, not even with the 4 Gen 4's we have.

In 50 years of shooting I have probably shot every pistol ever made. Have shot every Glock, and probably 50 different 1911 design pistols.

Beretta? sold it. XM? junk, sold it. S&W? no thanks, done that too.

Now that H&K 45 looks fine but overpriced, and the FNH guns are very fine

TRX450R_Racer
08-09-2012, 16:17
Are you shooting steel case ammo?

Yes, but my Taurus PT145 has no problem ejecting the same ammo.
I think trying to use ammo as am excuse is just plain stupid.
Any gun no matter who makes it should shoot any ammo that is made to shoot out of that gun. If it doesn't then their is something wrong with that gun.

packinaglock
08-09-2012, 17:09

Wow, that is sad, come on Glock pull your head out of your ass. I love my Glocks but they need to man up make things right before Glocks are looked upon like Hi-points.

Ranger45
08-09-2012, 17:59
Gen4 G21 SSN###, spent casing collected 3/8/12, purchased in May 2012. No issues with ejection yet.

Hope you get your issues sorted out GlockTalker!

dgbee456
08-09-2012, 18:56

agreed if my gen4 G30 has any issues, i am done with any glock made before 2007

TRX450R_Racer
08-09-2012, 19:06
agreed if my gen4 G30 has any issues, i am done with any glock made before 2007

You mean after 2007.

Z71bill
08-09-2012, 20:22
Yes, but my Taurus PT145 has no problem ejecting the same ammo.
I think trying to use ammo as am excuse is just plain stupid.
Any gun no matter who makes it should shoot any ammo that is made to shoot out of that gun. If it doesn't then their is something wrong with that gun.

Some guns don't like certain ammo -

When my M&P40 was new it ate all the brass cased ammo just fine - zero issues -

Loaded up some Wolf steel case and it started to have issues on the first mag - switched back to brass - problems went away.

If you have no ejection problems when you use brass cased ammo - and do when you use steel - than it is at least in part an ammo problem.

After I put a few thousand more rounds through the M&P I tried some Wolf again and if worked 99% - would still get a stuck empty case in the chamber every once in a while.

I see this as an ammo related problem more than a gun problem -

Does your gun have weak ejection with brass cased ammo?

TheGlockTalker
08-14-2012, 16:44
Just wanted to follow up.
I have now shot 1850 rounds from this gun, have owned it for week + 2 days, and it's still spitting brass all over the place for whatever reason.

Fired Magtech and PMC today and got a lot of brass all over me.
In my chest, on the top of my head, and a generally weak ejection.

Don't know what's going on but every time I shoot my G21 Gen 3 right next to the Gen 4 with the same brass it does none of those things. Not even a hint of it.

I suppose I have to call Glock about this or try an aftermarket extractor and/or ejector.

Beretta92guy
08-14-2012, 16:50
I have now shot 1850 rounds from this gun, have owned it for week + 2 days, and it's still spitting brass all over the place for whatever reason.

Don't know what's going on but every time I shoot my G21 Gen 3 right next to the Gen 4 with the same brass it does none of those things. Not even a hint of it.

I suppose I have to call Glock about this or try an aftermarket extractor and/or ejector.

the only person i would be calling is my local gun shop to see how much of a trade in on a XD, Sig or Smith they would give me for that POS.....

as others have said, the pundits and kool aid drinkers will blame the ammo, your grip, stance, humidity or even the time of day you were shooting....but NOT the gun......

well, it IS THE GUN, and if i were you i would not waste one more DIME on ammo, parts, shipping......

Glock has screwed up, and while they are still busy putting out defective products, i would be buying other brands of guns....

trade in on an XDm like i did.....Great gun, tons of features and ZERO brass to the face....LIKE IT SHOULD BE

Beretta92guy
08-14-2012, 16:53
26 years of shooting Glocks of all 4 generations, owned over 30 of them. Never had any issues, not even with the 4 Gen 4's we have.

In 50 years of shooting I have probably shot every pistol ever made. Have shot every Glock, and probably 50 different 1911 design pistols.

Good Lord, there is so much BS in that post, i don't even know where to start!!!!

XDM is JUNK!!!...you are full of it!!!

diamondd2
08-14-2012, 17:07

What # is on you extractor? I have the #3 stamped on my poorly ejecting G21 Gen4.

TheGlockTalker
08-14-2012, 17:23
What # is on you extractor? I have the #3 stamped on my poorly ejecting G21 Gen4.

I have 8196-2.

diamondd2
08-15-2012, 04:50
I have 8196-2.

That is your ejector. I am looking to see what # is stamped on your extractor.

TheGlockTalker
08-15-2012, 12:28
That is your ejector. I am looking to see what # is stamped on your extractor.

Sorry, screwed up. I saw the word extractor and later in your sentence saw something about "ejecting" and read that as ejector.

Yes, my extractor has a tiny number "3" on it as well.

I wonder if this means something.

Thanks

diamondd2
08-15-2012, 12:33
Sorry, screwed up. I saw the word extractor and later in your sentence saw something about "ejecting" and read that as ejector.

Yes, my extractor has a tiny number "3" on it as well.

I wonder if this means something.

Thanks

It might. I have a new extractor with # 2 on it to try out.

TheGlockTalker
08-15-2012, 12:48
It might. I have a new extractor with # 2 on it to try out.

Please post after your test.
Where did you get the No. 2?

diamondd2
08-15-2012, 13:08
Please post after your test.
Where did you get the No. 2?

Ordered from glockparts.com. I did not specify casting #, but that's what showed up. You could probably call and specify # 2, 6 etc.

TheGlockTalker
08-15-2012, 16:55
Ordered from glockparts.com. I did not specify casting #, but that's what showed up. You could probably call and specify # 2, 6 etc.Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Please post something once you've had a chance to try it.
Would love to solve this problem asap.

diamondd2
08-15-2012, 18:15
Please post something once you've had a chance to try it.
Would love to solve this problem asap.

Going out tommorow morning. I will let you know. I will post here and in the G21 Gen4 thread I started.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1436412

TheGlockTalker
08-15-2012, 18:20
Going out tommorow morning. I will let you know. I will post here and in the G21 Gen4 thread I started.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1436412

Much appreciated.
I'll be watching this closely.

diamondd2
08-16-2012, 14:01
Much appreciated.
I'll be watching this closely.

Ok. So I took my 250rds of 230gr FMJ (890fps) American Eagle, my G21 G4 with the new ejector installed, and a new extractor in a bag with me to the range. Long story short results--not good. Almost all right hand weak ejection. Out of 150rds fired, 3 BTF, and 1 left ejection, 1 right shoulder.

Right away I could tell the new ejector did not make a difference. I switched to the new #2 extractor within the first 2 mags. It did seem to make a slight difference, the right hand weak ejections were getting slightly more distance. So I switched back to my original ejector/trigger housing, but this made no difference in ejection. Total fired =150rds.

Over all the ejection was better this time out than last, but I believe this to be ammo related. The last time out I used Blazer CCI and Argulia, which are both rated for less than 850fps. The AE I used today is rated for 890fps (which is closer to SD ammo velocity). I am up to 500rds now through my G21 with no failures, just weak/erratic ejection.

Next step. I am going to polish top and bottom of extractor and file down the shoulder and see how that runs. I am also going to buy a new RSA for it. Im thinking the RSA maybe the problem, it does seem a little hevy when I rack the slide. I did experience this problem with the new updated RSA's for the G19 G4's. I got the 2 new RSA from Glock, 1 for my g4 19, and 1 for my wifes g4 19. When I installed the new RSA's in th G19's there was a very noticeable difference in the resistence when racking the slides side by side. The 19 with the harder to rack slide did exhibit weak ejection patterns while the lighter sprung 19 did not. Replaced the harder RSA with a new one that felt like the other 19's and the weak ejection pattern dissapeared. So, yes, it is possible the G4 RSA's are coming from the factory with different lb rating (most likely a QC issue).

On another note, Is there anyone here from NJ that goes to Cherry Ridge range and owns a good ejecting G21 Gen4? I would like to compare side by side, maybe swap uppers to see if the problem is in the upper or the frame of the pistol.

TheGlockTalker
08-16-2012, 15:22
Gosh dang it!!!!!!!!

Glock typically has excessively strong recoil spring so maybe getting something not so tight might help.
It would make the slide move faster. More recoil but who cares, would be better than the hos brass shower we have to live with.

Although I'm not noticing much of a difference between racking my Gen 3 and Gen 4 G21's but it would still be an interesting experiment.
Going to see if Wolf has a spring for the g4 21.

I'm also going to call Glock at some point and see what they have to say.
Hopefully they have something documented.

Thanks for your experiment and report.

Too bad it didn't help.

diamondd2
08-16-2012, 16:20
Gosh dang it!!!!!!!!

Glock typically has excessively strong recoil spring so maybe getting something not so tight might help.
It would make the slide move faster. More recoil but who cares, would be better than the hos brass shower we have to live with.

Although I'm not noticing much of a difference between racking my Gen 3 and Gen 4 G21's but it would still be an interesting experiment.
Going to see if Wolf has a spring for the g4 21.

I'm also going to call Glock at some point and see what they have to say.
Hopefully they have something documented.

Thanks for your experiment and report.

Too bad it didn't help.

I had a G21SF that I sold for the Gen4 G21. I distinctly remember the slide was much easier to rack.

TheGlockTalker
08-16-2012, 18:52
I had a G21SF that I sold for the Gen4 G21. I distinctly remember the slide was much easier to rack.

I'm sure you're right. I need to put the original spring back in and see how it feels.
Will do that soon.

Thanks

TheExplorer
08-16-2012, 19:06
Ok. So I took my 250rds of 230gr FMJ (890fps) American Eagle, my G21 G4 with the new ejector installed, and a new extractor in a bag with me to the range. Long story short results--not good. Almost all right hand weak ejection. Out of 150rds fired, 3 BTF, and 1 left ejection, 1 right shoulder.

Right away I could tell the new ejector did not make a difference. I switched to the new #2 extractor within the first 2 mags. It did seem to make a slight difference, the right hand weak ejections were getting slightly more distance. So I switched back to my original ejector/trigger housing, but this made no difference in ejection. Total fired =150rds.

Over all the ejection was better this time out than last, but I believe this to be ammo related. The last time out I used Blazer CCI and Argulia, which are both rated for less than 850fps. The AE I used today is rated for 890fps (which is closer to SD ammo velocity). I am up to 500rds now through my G21 with no failures, just weak/erratic ejection.

Next step. I am going to polish top and bottom of extractor and file down the shoulder and see how that runs. I am also going to buy a new RSA for it. Im thinking the RSA maybe the problem, it does seem a little hevy when I rack the slide. I did experience this problem with the new updated RSA's for the G19 G4's. I got the 2 new RSA from Glock, 1 for my g4 19, and 1 for my wifes g4 19. When I installed the new RSA's in th G19's there was a very noticeable difference in the resistence when racking the slides side by side. The 19 with the harder to rack slide did exhibit weak ejection patterns while the lighter sprung 19 did not. Replaced the harder RSA with a new one that felt like the other 19's and the weak ejection pattern dissapeared. So, yes, it is possible the G4 RSA's are coming from the factory with different lb rating (most likely a QC issue).

On another note, Is there anyone here from NJ that goes to Cherry Ridge range and owns a good ejecting G21 Gen4? I would like to compare side by side, maybe swap uppers to see if the problem is in the upper or the frame of the pistol.

Ugh. Well so much for that. Thanks for the testing.

TheGlockTalker
08-18-2012, 09:46
I called Glock and they told me they had not heard of any extraction issues with the Gen 4 21.
Told me they would be happy to have a look at it to see if there's anything they can do.
That's where we left it.
I absolutely hate to but suppose I may as well go ahead and send it to them.
Don't see any other way to get this resolved.

Glock2336
09-13-2012, 11:43

Wow! That's worse than my Gen 4 G19 :shocked:

Morris
09-13-2012, 17:21
I called Glock and they told me they had not heard of any extraction issues with the Gen 4 21.

Bull. Smyrna reads these boards and have heard from owners. They know. Sort of like the -1 trigger bar issue.

TheGlockTalker
09-25-2012, 14:46
Just wanted to let everyone know (especially the "it's never the Glock's fault, always your grip" crowd) that I talked to Glock - who have now had my gun for about three weeks.
THEY acknowledged that this weapon had major ejection problems and said they are going to send me a new weapon.
I asked when they would send it and they said they're waiting for new production and it'll be shipped immediately after that.

TattooedGlock
09-25-2012, 14:53
There were several threads on this. I have a Gen 4 21 and had the same issue. Put in a different ejector (the one designed for the 40/357) and have had no more issues. Runs like a champ. FYI, the release won't be until somewhere between the end of next Jan and March of 2013.

TheGlockTalker
09-25-2012, 15:14
What release are you talking about?

TattooedGlock
09-25-2012, 15:18
The release of the next batch of Gen 4 pistols

mo.glocker
09-25-2012, 15:24

is it just me or are the only rds hitting him is when he lets the muzzle flip up?:dunno:

TheGlockTalker
09-25-2012, 15:38
The release of the next batch of Gen 4 pistols

They're sending it in in a week or two.

TattooedGlock
09-25-2012, 16:00
They're sending it in in a week or two.

Cool. Keep us posted.

obituary
09-29-2012, 09:09
Just got my 21 g4 yesterday, out of 200 rounds 3 to the face and 2 0r 3 to the right shoulder. Other than that I love this Glock and it was a pleasure to operate. They were Rem umc 230 Gr MC. Cleaned and lubed prior to firing ,no attachments installed .Never had this problem with other Glocks or other brand pistols.I do plan on running different ammo and seeing how it goes. Hoping not to send it off. Glad to hear they are taking care of yours

TheGlockTalker
10-03-2012, 21:45
Just got a brand new G21 in the mail. Will try to take it out later this week to test it.
Will report back when I know something.

tbc
10-03-2012, 22:49

Gen 4: 17, 21, 26

According to your sig line, you only have 3 gen 4's...:whistling:

t4terrific
10-04-2012, 11:56

Take that stupid laser off the front of the pistol. Did you even shoot it before adding all the silly accessories to it?

t4terrific
10-04-2012, 11:59
According to your sig line, you only have 3 gen 4's...:whistling:

I like people who post detailed lists, on public forums, of all the valuable firearms they have at the house while they are gone.

TheGlockTalker
10-19-2012, 14:45
Just got the new Glock back. Took it to the range and shot about 200 rounds and it's the same ***** as with the other one.
No difference whatsoever! Very weak ejection, brass in face, several rolled down into my shirt pocket scratched up my glasses and phone, some brass even hit my left arm (I'm right handed), how it manages to do that I don't know.
Same story with running to the right and shooting; basically not possible unless you wear a helmet to protect your face from the ejecting brass.
Shot S&B, Magtech, WWB, PMC, AE, and Hornady.
This gun is the same junk as the one they were replacing!

I also noticed like TattooedGlock pointed out that this gun was made earlier this year and as a matter of fact the spent casing is dated the same month as my original Gen 4 21 that they replaced.

However when I talked to Glock they told me I'd get a new gun from a brand new batch of guns. Not so at all!!! Not even close. They lied to me about that.

Anyway I think I may as well sell this junk and stay with the Gen 3 21 it ejects brass perfectly fine. There's really nothing wrong with it I just wanted all the new Gen 4 features thus I bought this one......bad mistake!

Thanks Glock.

t4terrific
10-19-2012, 15:08
I love the Gen 3. It's the best double stack .45 I've ever shot. I've never felt the slightest temptation to downgrade to a SF or Gen 4.

Beretta92guy
10-19-2012, 15:51
Just got the new Glock back. Took it to the range and shot about 200 rounds and it's the same ***** as with the other one.
No difference whatsoever! Very weak ejection, brass in face, several rolled down into my shirt pocket scratched up my glasses and phone, some brass even hit my left arm (I'm right handed), how it manages to do that I don't know.
Same story with running to the right and shooting; basically not possible unless you wear a helmet to protect your face from the ejecting brass.
Shot S&B, Magtech, WWB, PMC, AE, and Hornady.
This gun is the same junk as the one they were replacing!

I also noticed like TattooedGlock pointed out that this gun was made earlier this year and as a matter of fact the spent casing is dated the same month as my original Gen 4 21 that they replaced.

However when I talked to Glock they told me I'd get a new gun from a brand new batch of guns. Not so at all!!! Not even close. They lied to me about that.

Anyway I think I may as well sell this junk and stay with the Gen 3 21 it ejects brass perfectly fine. There's really nothing wrong with it I just wanted all the new Gen 4 features thus I bought this one......bad mistake!

Thanks Glock.

Glocktalker, im going to make you very happy with a suggestion......

take that POS to the gunshop tomorrow and trade it for a Springfield Armory XDm 4.5"......the loss you take will be a small price to pay for a gun that works as it should......

get it and thank me later:wavey:

TheGlockTalker
10-28-2012, 23:09
Glocktalker, im going to make you very happy with a suggestion......
take that POS to the gunshop tomorrow and trade it for a Springfield Armory XDm 4.5"......the loss you take will be a small price to pay for a gun that works as it should......
get it and thank me later

I would do that but I have a problem with the grip safety. Other than that I think it's a perfect weapon.

Fire_Medic
10-28-2012, 23:16
Don't overlook the S&W M&P 45's, crazy accurate guns, can get it with or without thumb safety, and the back straps are interchangeable.

Brendan Kinsella
10-29-2012, 21:24
I have 1850 rounds threw mine with zero issues. Shot every kind of ammo i could find threw it and it swallows all of it well . Trying to find n issue because i was a Sig guy but as much as I dont a
want to amit it my GLOCK KICKS ASS !!!!!!!!

xcaliburelite
10-30-2012, 08:14

Did you ever call them about this? I would be really pissed off if I was told that they would send a 'new production' weapon and get one that basically come off the line at the same time as the one they were replacing. Im curious what theyre response was. Even if you are going to sell the gun, I would still contact them and raise hell.

Yertology
10-30-2012, 08:29
No expert but I've heard that its the US made glocks have this issue.

ScottieG59
10-30-2012, 08:53
It sounds like the slide is not moving fast enough, though grip is not possible to rule out completely. I only get ejected cases to the face with my Glock 20 (similar to the 21) when I use the 40 S&W conversion barrel. I could change the recoil spring, but I just accept it.

Another possible issue is that the pistol was modified with a light or large sites. I doubt this is an issue with the G21, but I have heard of these problems with other guns.

Your thumb may be in contact with the slide and causing it to slow down. You may not see this in your grip since it may only occur in recoil.

Maybe the magazine spring is pushing the top round too hard in the bottom of the slide.

Of course, problems with the extractor and/or ejector can cause this. Same with a heavy or binding recoil spring.

Whatever it is, it will be something simple unless you want to make it complex.

TheGlockTalker
10-31-2012, 22:35
I'm going to try the weaker recoil spring and see if that won't do the trick.
Just don't like the idea of having to spend money on making a brand new gun work as it should.

Xcaliburelite, no I haven't called back.
Really don't feel like messing with this any more.
Sick and tired of it.
They could care less that I've been shooting their weapons since my first G17 in the late 80's and have been nothing less than a loyal customer until now.
So with that in mind I really don't feel like messing with this any more, tired of them and don't feel like going through mailing this weapon too.
Will try the weaker recoil spring and that's about it with this gun.

Bradd D
11-01-2012, 01:13
Sold my 21 gen 4 and now I have a 22 gen 4. Very pleased with it.

HK Dan
11-01-2012, 07:49
Tighten your grip on the gun just a little bit. Do it unti the brass goes back and to the right. EVERY time a shooter catches brass to the face, this soves it.

Bradd D
11-01-2012, 12:14
Tighten your grip on the gun just a little bit. Do it unti the brass goes back and to the right. EVERY time a shooter catches brass to the face, this soves it.

Grip has nothing to do with it. I've been shooting Glocks of various calibers for 22 years and never had a problem until recently. I've owned 4 recent production Glock 9mm's two of which were fine and 2 of which were terrible.

firstg19
11-01-2012, 12:44
Grip has nothing to do with it. I've been shooting Glocks of various calibers for 22 years and never had a problem until recently. I've owned 4 recent production Glock 9mm's two of which were fine and 2 of which were terrible.

Grip can have something to do with, its been proven in many youtube videos. But it can also be a problem with the gun or reloads and not shooter related at all. I find it strange that the OP has now got a second glock 21 gen4 and is having these issues. This makes me think its the shooter or his reloads, unless perhaps he got a gun that was built during the same time his old was was built. Could be possible there was a bad batch of lemons sent out. It just seems like if the two guns were built during different times, that the problems might be grip or reloaded ammo related, since there are so many other satisfied g21 gen 4 shooters out there.

Bradd D
11-01-2012, 12:48
Grip can have something to do with, its been proven in many youtube videos. But it can also be a problem with the gun or reloads and not shooter related at all. I find it strange that the OP has now got a second glock 21 gen4 and is having these issues. This makes me think its the shooter or his reloads, unless perhaps he got a gun that was built during the same time his old was was built. Could be possible there was a bad batch of lemons sent out. It just seems like if the two guns were built during different times, that the problems might be grip or reloaded ammo related, since there are so many other satisfied g21 gen 4 shooters out there.

I had a 21 gen 4 that sent so much brass to my face it was difficult to shoot effectively. I found myself anticipating the brass with each shot. There are far too many cases of BTF recently for it to be a grip issue.

TheGlockTalker
11-02-2012, 12:06

It's not the grip at all. I have a gen 3 that shoots perfectly as do all my 1911's.

I'm not shooting reloads.
I have a list of ammo makers in an earlier post that I have tried.

Why do you say the gun was built at different times?
Judging by the spent casing it was produced in in the exact same month. Look at post 84 above.
Thus nothing strange about the gun having the exact same problems. . . . everything in it is the same.

However Glock promised me that this gun would be made from a different batch. As a matter of fact they told me to wait for two extra weeks " we are going to send you a new weapon, just have to wait a few days for production" is exactly what they told me.

BuzznRose
11-02-2012, 12:23
However Glock promised me that this gun would be made from a different batch. As a matter of fact they told me to wait for two extra weeks " we are going to send you a new weapon, just have to wait a few days for production" is exactly what they told me.

I had the same issue, and Glock sent me a brand new gun. They even mounted my TruGlo TFO's from my first G21 Gen 4.

I never shot the new gun. I immediately posted and sold it as new in box, and bought an XDm.

I'm not a Glock hater. Still have four Gen 4's that I'm happy with, but I'm done with Glocks in .45ACP.

I know there are a lot of G21/30 fans here, and God Bless you all, but they just aren't for me.

F106 Fan
11-02-2012, 14:18
I would do that but I have a problem with the grip safety. Other than that I think it's a perfect weapon.

It's always the customer's choice but...

There is no conceivable way you could pick up the weapon and fire an aimed round where you wouldn't have already operated the grip safety.

The grip safety has been standard on the 1911 since, well, 1911!

This is strictly an Internet Shooter issue and has no basis in reality. The idea that it 'could break' is nonsense and only written by people who have no idea how the grip safety works. All it does is block the sear from moving down and releasing the striker. It's a single piece of metal, how can it possibly break?

And, yes, I shoot an XD9 from time to time. It's a very nice pistol and the grip safety causes me no concern whatsoever. In fact, I like the little hump. I see that becoming more or less standard on the newer 1911s. I have just such an arrangement on my Sig 1911. I would have to add aftermarket parts to get the hump on my Colt 1911s. Probably not worth the effort.

Richard

SCmasterblaster
11-02-2012, 18:37

Thanks for your input.

I bet that you keep your shirt buttoned! :cool:

obituary
11-02-2012, 20:00
I have sent mine in since my last post and got it back about 2 weeks. It has a new extractor in it and will be out to the range to see if its fixed . This is a real problem I have video myself and two other people with my gen 4 g21 limp wristing is not the case with mine.

firstg19
11-26-2012, 18:40
I had a 21 gen 4 that sent so much brass to my face it was difficult to shoot effectively. I found myself anticipating the brass with each shot. There are far too many cases of BTF recently for it to be a grip issue.

I couldn't agree with you more now. I just had to get a lemon and see for myself to believe it.

Backfire_Tx
11-26-2012, 19:33
Glock's are perfect why just Saturday - i took one in the forehead and it drew blood. I see that as a feature - i deserved to be hit in the head. The Glock knows when you are naughty and nice. As was suggested in here - try a soft song late at night and stroke the grip between the forefinger and thumb taking care not to pinch the Glock. Seriously - i got a new ejector for my G23 and thought the problem was solved before Saturday's thud on the forehead. I had quite a few fly over my head - but alas my Glock must be mad at me. I deserved my love "welt".

The Glock faithful in here will attribute your problem to:
#1. Weak or inferior ammo (You cheap @@##$#@)
#2. Your limp wrist (you are a #@$)
#3. Your Stance
#4. Your Breath
#5. Windage
#6. Bounce off of the Shooting Range wall.
#7. The extractor must have a "smudge" on it - did you clean and polish it?
#8. And last but not least: "I've owned 400 Glocks and shot 40,000 rounds and never had 1 failure. I.e. Your an idiot a Glock would never fail they are perfect.

TheGlockTalker
12-01-2012, 00:37
Glock's are perfect why just Saturday - i took one in the forehead and it drew blood. I see that as a feature - i deserved to be hit in the head. The Glock knows when you are naughty and nice. As was suggested in here - try a soft song late at night and stroke the grip between the forefinger and thumb taking care not to pinch the Glock. Seriously - i got a new ejector for my G23 and thought the problem was solved before Saturday's thud on the forehead. I had quite a few fly over my head - but alas my Glock must be mad at me. I deserved my love "welt".

#3. Your Stance
#4. Your Breath
#5. Windage
#8. And last but not least: "I've owned 400 Glocks and shot 40,000 rounds and never had 1 failure. I.e. Your an idiot a Glock would never fail they are perfect.

Hahahaha very funny.........unfortunately your points are TRUE!!!

So sad.......

firstg19
12-01-2012, 18:19
Any updates? Did you sell the gun or are you sending it back to glock for round 2? I sent my g34 gen4 in for again, since they did nothing the first time. I'm hoping they finally do something or I will continue to be a problem for them until my gun is fixed.

Backfire_Tx
12-31-2012, 21:01
Any updates? Did you sell the gun or are you sending it back to glock for round 2? I sent my g34 gen4 in for again, since they did nothing the first time. I'm hoping they finally do something or I will continue to be a problem for them until my gun is fixed.

I sent it back still waiting... Its been 1 month. Thats my carry weapon. I am thinking to buy a CM9 Kahr pocket 9mm and sell the glock. I have 1 more theory if the Gaston boys cant fix it. One guy in the forum states that he had a new 20sf 10mm - he owns a bunch. And he started to swap parts - he found ejector was causing the issue of a left jam on feed ramp. That what i am seeing. So, when it comes back from glock i'll test. If it still has issues, i'll fiddle with the ejector and find a good gun smith. I emailed glock to check ejector. Problem started after ejector (for head shots) was changed.

Beretta92guy
01-06-2013, 18:24
Wow, that is sad, come on Glock pull your head out of your ass. I love my Glocks but they need to man up make things right before Glocks are looked upon like Hi-points.

agreed....those two videos are really sad, not only are the 9mm and .40's doing that crap, but now the 45's:upeyes:

I am on the sidelines waiting for glock to fix so i can go back to my (former) favorite platform, but looks like ill be keeping my Springfield Armory XD's...which is fine with me, most excellent guns that work like they should:cool:

Beretta92guy
01-06-2013, 18:26

#3. Your Stance
#4. Your Breath
#5. Windage

that, sir, is the damn truth.......:cool:

i've said from day-one that the slides are out-of-spec., specifically the hole that the extractor rides in, but the kool-aid-drinkers refuse to believe that....got rid of my two beloved .40's that started doing that BTF crap IMMEDIATELY........

patiently waiting for the arrogant and stuck-up glock co. to address the problem and fix it, but im not holding my breath.....

ive already switched over entirely to Springfield, could not be happier, guns that work as they SHOULD

Backfire_Tx
01-07-2013, 07:54
Glock Sent me a new Glock 23. I was shocked and did not expect that. Going to the range tonight. They gave me extra mags also.

firstg19
02-26-2013, 09:54
TheGlockTalker, It's been a month or more now, can you comment on what has happened with your gen4 g21?

Will Beararms
02-26-2013, 10:16

Keep the gun oil handy.....

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/ebtromba/left/IMG_0471.jpg

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/ebtromba/left/IMG_0470.jpg

Will Beararms
02-26-2013, 10:23
Any time new designs surface or design changes are made, issues arise. Ask Sig about the early P239's. Ask Beretta about the PX4 Mags and debris getting into the rotating barrel cam. Ask Remington about the 710 rifle.

Glocks have issues. All firearms will have them from time to time. I have a Gen 4 22 that so far has been flawless save two BTF's from Tula ammo out of 1,000 total. I have sent a NIB Sig, and NIB Kahr and an NIB S&W Revolver back to the factory. It happens.

I am not sipping the Kool Aid. I believe it is a balancing act, you take the good with the bad and if the pluses outweigh the minuses, you are okay in the end. YMMV.

WayneJessie
02-26-2013, 12:07
Just wanted to let everyone know (especially the "it's never the Glock's fault, always your grip" crowd) that I talked to Glock - who have now had my gun for about three weeks.
THEY acknowledged that this weapon had major ejection problems and said they are going to send me a new weapon.
I asked when they would send it and they said they're waiting for new production and it'll be shipped immediately after that.

This should shut the mouth of the guys always blaming the shooter but it won't. Hey, if you tout your pistol as perfect and the finest combat hangun made that means it should eat any and all ammo thrown at it even if you have to crawl around in slime and mud for days before shooting it. I have a Glock and it's no different from my other handguns. It's not perfect. It's a compromise to appeal to a certain segment of buyers that like the features it has. I try to stay away from the koolaid drinkers of any brand gun that think their gun is the be all,end all, perfect gun.

Backfire_Tx
03-06-2013, 20:12
Shot about 500 rounds with new Glock they sent. No Failure to feeds. No issues. I had 1 casing graze my head - but who cares. The gun is working fine and reliable for SD - oh, BTW the same "wrist" shoots the new glock 23 as the old one that had FTF issues.

I love glocks but folks need to tap the brakes a bit on making it a form of worship!. They are a machine - a precision piece of technology - and they are man made. Enough said. If you want perfection - consider the Lilly... Matthew 6:28