Yep...another 20L question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Yep...another 20L question

CWC
08-08-2012, 01:44
I've recently started thinking about putting together a 20L. I've read through all the posts on here about them, but am left with one question. Yes, I know they look bad ass, and they're accurate, and the recoil is less because of the heavier slide, but how do they feel? The way a gun balances is important to me, so I've got to wonder if the 20L is a little muzzle-heavy. Lone Wolf also makes a "Tactical" length slide and barrel, that is the same length as a G34. Has anyone compared the balance of the Tactical to the Long-slide? Thanks for any input! I'm trying to avoid dropping hundreds of dollars just to find out that my new toy balances like a boat anchor.

nickE10mm
08-09-2012, 13:02
They feel really good... Ummm obviously a little heavier in the nose .... IIRC, my G20L weighted about 4-5oz more than a std G20. Its not by ANY means a boat anchor... nor is it awkward. It feels good, man!!! There is a reason people like longslides!!! :)

nood1es
08-09-2012, 19:06
Love my longslide. Isn't much heavier than reg g20. Feels perfectly balanced in my hands. I also have a Burris rds on it too. I prefer shooting it over my g19.

Yondering
08-09-2012, 20:51
Of course a longslide is more nose-heavy. That's where all the extra steel is. "Balance" is completely a personal opinion, and is a misnomer anyway. I've never shot a pistol that "balances" around the grip, every single one is front heavy. More weight out front = less muzzle flip.

Can't say I've ever thought of a revolver as "balancing like a boat anchor", and almost every revolver ever made puts all of the weight in front of the grip.

alwaysshootin
08-09-2012, 22:19
Food for thought, only because I already ate it!

Long slides are cool! That being said, when you get done, with your build, you will have, almost identical money in it, as you would purchasing a new G29!

I've been there, recently. When you get done, you'll have a second slide, for your G20, that has a inch and a half, give or take, greater length, and somewhere around a $500 investment.

Just something to think about. Oh, and talk about a hard to recoup your investment, if you decide to sell down the road. I'll just end with I really, really, like my G29!:wavey:

Yondering
08-10-2012, 00:32
Long slides are cool! That being said, when you get done, with your build, you will have, almost identical money in it, as you would purchasing a new G29!

I don't get it, why would you equate a long slide / long barrel setup with a shorter barrel gun? If the point is to get a longer barrel, longer slide, and all the benefits of that, why would one even consider buying a G29 instead? Totally the wrong direction. :dunno:Unless you'd just rather have 2 guns, than one really good one?

alwaysshootin
08-10-2012, 13:05
I don't get it, why would you equate a long slide / long barrel setup with a shorter barrel gun? If the point is to get a longer barrel, longer slide, and all the benefits of that, why would one even consider buying a G29 instead? Totally the wrong direction. :dunno:Unless you'd just rather have 2 guns, than one really good one?

Please sell me on "all the benefits" from a long slide. I can only come up with one. a 1.5" greater sighting plane! Oh and looking :cool: isn't a benefit.:supergrin:

nickE10mm
08-10-2012, 13:59
Please sell me on "all the benefits" from a long slide. I can only come up with one. a 1.5" greater sighting plane! Oh and looking :cool: isn't a benefit.:supergrin:

More velocity from the longer barrel and longer sighting plan to make accurate hits easier for the shooter. That's about it. :supergrin:

alwaysshootin
08-10-2012, 14:59
More velocity from the longer barrel and longer sighting plan to make accurate hits easier for the shooter. That's about it. :supergrin:

Thank you!:wavey:

My point exactly, the only thing gained, is the longer sighting plain. The longer barrel, for increased velocity, can be dropped right in the factory slide. So in essence, one who buys, a LS, spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $400, gets a longer sighting plain, and yes, what some consider a cool factor. Oh forgot the holster, that brings it almost up to $500. Hence the reason, I said, in my first post, in this thread, "food for thought".

I went the LS route, decided it didn't offer enough for the money, and decided to sell. Took almost a year to sell, and at a loss. Live and learn! The money was used for another Glock purchase, which just happened to be a G29.

GotFour
08-10-2012, 15:59
They really look cool, but I went with the 6" KKM route for a lot less money. Diamond D Custom made me a shoulder holster for hunting and I'm happy with how everything turned out.
http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Diamond_D_Custom_Leather.php

Yondering
08-10-2012, 19:27
My point exactly, the only thing gained, is the longer sighting plain.

You don't know what you don't know, I guess. :upeyes:

Higher velocity, longer sight radius, lower recoil, more delayed slide unlocking, and overall better tolerance of heavy loads.

If that's not for you, fine. It still doesn't make sense to suggest a compact gun in a discussion about longslides.

And, a complete longslide setup will run you north of $500 at least. It's definitely a specialized setup, for a special purpose. Just like the G29, except they're at opposite ends of the spectrum.

samurairabbi
08-10-2012, 19:42
A 6" Glock barrel can shove a 200gr bullet at over 1300fps with full-power 10mm ammo. For me, that is worth spending money to achieve.

I offer agreement to the poster that mentions the look of the G20 extended slide. With that slide on the gun, the Glock loses its "chunky" look, and becomes aesthetically beautiful. That too, to me, is worth achieving.

Yondering
08-10-2012, 21:12
Maybe I need to post a slow-mo video of my compensated long slide firing a 220gr WFN at 1300 fps with less muzzle flip than most 9mm's...

Gotta find a good place to host video first though.

GotFour
08-10-2012, 21:46
Maybe I need to post a slow-mo video of my compensated long slide firing a 220gr WFN at 1300 fps with less muzzle flip than most 9mm's...

YouTube ;-)

alwaysshootin
08-11-2012, 02:18
A 6" Glock barrel can shove a 200gr bullet at over 1300fps with full-power 10mm ammo. For me, that is worth spending money to achieve.

I offer agreement to the poster that mentions the look of the G20 extended slide. With that slide on the gun, the Glock loses its "chunky" look, and becomes aesthetically beautiful. That too, to me, is worth achieving.

Great, glad you like, everything, about a long slide. One question if you will. Do you need a long slide, to use the 6" barrel to shove a 200 grain bullet at 1300 fps?

Grizzz
08-11-2012, 07:39
I would think the weight of the LS would be KEY for accuracy with those hot loads & lots more fun to shoot !!!

samurairabbi
08-11-2012, 11:02
Great, glad you like, everything, about a long slide. One question if you will. Do you need a long slide, to use the 6" barrel to shove a 200 grain bullet at 1300 fps?
The long SLIDE is not necessary; the Glock 6" 10mm barrel drops right into the G20 slide. Of course, the gun will look like it has its shlong sticking out!

A note on aesthetics:
I had the Glock 6" barrel, and WAS content with it. Then I bought a used LW complete 20L upper. What attracted me to it was that the original purchaser had had the slide (but not the barrel) annodized black; I have never been a fan of the standard Lone Wolf taste in finish color. After shooting it a while, I dropped the (black) Glock barrel into the slide. It is a pleasure to simply look at that (now) all black gun; the LW barrel now sits in its case in the drawer.

gatorboy
08-12-2012, 21:24
I had a solid 6" 20L slide and never shot it. Sold it at a loss and the buyer did'nt want the 6" 10mm and 9x25 barrels. Glad he did'nt! Made no sense having 6.5" and 4" 610's. Way more accurate. If I want a deep-penetrating, 16 rd. lead hucker, the stock 20 will do.

I've been around a while enjoying 10mm (12 years) but in reality, the 23 blows the 29 away for carry. Thinner, longer tube, better grip (full 3 finger vs. 2). Will never sell my 29 though. For a powerhouse, a 29 with hot 200's is better than a 23 with factory in any weight.

Point is the 20L is outshined for hunting by the 6.5" 610 - case closed.

alwaysshootin
08-12-2012, 22:31

Statement, and, a question. Statement is, with less muzzle flip, the transition is quicker, for faster follow up shots. Now for the question. What happens first, the bullet leaving the barrel, or, the start of the cycling motion? If you aren't sure, look up, slow motion, of a bullet, leaving a gun barrel on youtube! It shows things quite clearly.

Yondering
08-12-2012, 22:41
Slide starts to move a very tiny bit, but the bullet is long gone before the action unlocks, especially with the heavy longslide.

Yondering
08-12-2012, 22:46
I had a solid 6" 20L slide and never shot it. ... Made no sense having 6.5" and 4" 610's. Way more accurate.

Point is the 20L is outshined for hunting by the 6.5" 610 - case closed.

You sure about that? Should've tried the longslide. I have the 20L for hunting for the same reason you state - I found it to be way better than a revolver.

You should've done a side by side comparison. Most likely you'd have found the 20L to give higher velocity than the 610, with less recoil and flip, and less blast. (I say "most likely" re. the velocity, because barrels do vary of course.) In my experience, my 20L is more accurate than a similar sized revolver as well.

If you aren't going to take advantage of the 610's cylinder length by long-loading, I don't see any advantage over a 20L.

samurairabbi
08-12-2012, 22:51
Slide starts to move a very tiny bit, but the bullet is long gone before the action unlocks, especially with the heavy longslide.
This situation is standard in all locked breech semi-auto firearms, not just the heavy longslide Glock. The bolt must remain locked to the barrel/frame until the pressure is reduced to a low safe level. The pressure cannot fall to that level until the powder/pressure has been vented by the bullet leaving the barrel. That slight movement before unlocking begins actually part of the mechanical safety system to keep the action from opening while pressure is still high.

alwaysshootin
08-12-2012, 23:01

Ok, great! So we can agree, no matter which slide is used, the bullet has left the barrel, long before the action unlocks. Not really meaning to play 21 questions with you, but I have one more. We both agree, that the LS gives a longer sighting plain. I have my opinion, on why that is beneficial. I am curious as to yours, so why is a longer sight plain an advantage?

samurairabbi
08-12-2012, 23:12
so why is a longer sight plain an advantage?
The longer the sight radius, the quicker a minor misaligning movement of the gun can be noticed and correction begun.

Yondering
08-12-2012, 23:15
Ok, great! So we can agree, no matter which slide is used, the bullet has left the barrel, long before the action unlocks.

The standard 20 slide (and especially the 21 slide) can sometimes start unlocking before the pressure event is complete, with heavy loads. The heavier long slide is not as sensitive to this. Slide mass is valuable for delayed unlocking and recoil reduction.

Argue all you want, nobody here is trying to sell you a longslide. You're not going to convince me that the short barreled 29 is just as good for the same purpose, that's just silly. I don't see the point of where you're going with this. You obviously don't understand the advantages of a longslide, and don't want to, so this thread is not for you. That's fine, we get it. Move on.

If you don't understand the advantages of a longer sight radius, I'm not going to try to explain it.

dm1906
08-12-2012, 23:52
If you don't understand the advantages of a longer sight radius, I'm not going to try to explain it.

Ummmm.....Yeah. Move along. Nothing to see here.

alwaysshootin
08-13-2012, 00:14
The longer the sight radius, the quicker a minor misaligning movement of the gun can be noticed and correction begun.

Wouldn't that pertain more to the barrel than the slide length?

dm1906
08-13-2012, 00:25

No. Neither, actually. It's the SIGHT length. The distance between the front and rear sights.

gatorboy
08-13-2012, 09:06
You sure about that? Should've tried the longslide. I have the 20L for hunting for the same reason you state - I found it to be way better than a revolver.

You should've done a side by side comparison. Most likely you'd have found the 20L to give higher velocity than the 610, with less recoil and flip, and less blast. (I say "most likely" re. the velocity, because barrels do vary of course.) In my experience, my 20L is more accurate than a similar sized revolver as well.

If you aren't going to take advantage of the 610's cylinder length by long-loading, I don't see any advantage over a 20L.

I was refering to the single action, especially on my 6.5" which is easily under 2#, probably closer to 1#. The ease and cost of mounting good glass is a huge benefit as well. I've seen various red dot optics on Glocks but never any real glass. Also, if the 6" 20 barrels are faster than a 6.5" S&W barrel, it would be so minimal as not to be a concern to me.

One thing that I don't like is no hardcast in my guns. Chambers are so tight I cant close the cylinder unless they're loaded in 40.

samurairabbi
08-13-2012, 09:58
The key is where the sights are MOUNTED. On the Glock, as with most autoloading handguns, the sights are mounted on the slide. So a standard G20 slide with an extended barrel would not gain any increase in sight radius, whereas the extended slide housing the extended barrel WOULD.

Yondering
08-13-2012, 22:53
I was refering to the single action, especially on my 6.5" which is easily under 2#, probably closer to 1#. The ease and cost of mounting good glass is a huge benefit as well. I've seen various red dot optics on Glocks but never any real glass. Also, if the 6" 20 barrels are faster than a 6.5" S&W barrel, it would be so minimal as not to be a concern to me.

One thing that I don't like is no hardcast in my guns. Chambers are so tight I cant close the cylinder unless they're loaded in 40.

I have no idea what you mean by 2# or 1#?

Difference in velocity between a 6" G20 barrel and a 610 barrel should be pretty significant; the difference is because of the cylinder gap. My limited data indicates a 6" 10mm revolver gives similar velocity to a 4" semi-auto.

Not handling cast is a huge downside, IMO. You should have the cylinder throats sized correctly relative to the bore, sounds like they might be a bit small unless the bore is tight. The throats should be slightly larger than the bore, generally by .001" or so.

Rigormootis
08-15-2012, 11:48
I went the LS route, decided it didn't offer enough for the money, and decided to sell. Took almost a year to sell, and at a loss. Live and learn! The money was used for another Glock purchase, which just happened to be a G29.

This matched my thoughts on getting a G20 LS and a Bren a while back -- I lucked out both times by realizing this cost/benefit (to ME, YMMV) before I made the purchases and instead just bought more ammo, mags, and components for what I already had and used regularly. Today, I shoot much more than when "I had to have one of everything" merely at the expense of fewer "trophy guns" collecting dust in my safe.

That said... If someone made a drop-on 6" G29 LS... I would probably have to pick it up. ;)

alwaysshootin
08-15-2012, 15:53
That said... If someone made a drop-on 6" G29 LS... I would probably have to pick it up. ;)

Get yourself a G20 of your liking, chop the grip to a 29, then drop a LS on it. If you went with the tactical length slide, it would make for a reasonable carry firearm!:cool:

Rigormootis
08-15-2012, 18:30
Get yourself a G20 of your liking, chop the grip to a 29, then drop a LS on it. If you went with the tactical length slide, it would make for a reasonable carry firearm!:cool:

Maybe. I sold the 2 g20s and 1 g29 I used to own (my stubbie thumbs couldn't release the slide and mag without adjusting my grip). The G29sf is "just" small enough that I can make it work....so maybe I'll eventually get a 20sf. Of couse then I'd need G20 mags, guiderods, etc. when I already have lots of spare parts/mags/holsters/etc. for the 29... ;) Time will tell.