Lousy Win. large rifle primers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lousy Win. large rifle primers

Dawolf
08-08-2012, 07:58
In a box of 100 primers, I had almost 1/2 that were bad. Had a large deep indentation in the ones that just went click in my '06. Anyone else experience this issue?

BuffaloBo
08-08-2012, 08:24
My G20 has ALWAYS had problems with Win Large Pistol primers.
I've tried them on 2 or 3 separate occasions, and would have maybe 5% fail to fire on the first attempt. After rechambering, most would fire.
Firing pin channel was always spotless and clean, and free to move.

Never had issues with CCI LP's. So, that's what I'll use from now on.

ColoCG
08-08-2012, 09:04
While I tend to prefer CCI primers I have loaded and shot many thousand Winchester LR, LRM, and LP as well as some SP and SR without any problems.

Usually if a primer doesn't fire the first time but will on the second try, it is not seated deep enough to begin with. The first firing seats the primer completely and the second try it goes bang. :dunno:

Three-Five-Seven
08-08-2012, 09:45
If you run race guns, Winchesters are the worst choice.

If you run regular guns, expect one FTF for each carton of primers.

In other words, Winchester primers cannot be depended upon for critical applications.

PCJim
08-08-2012, 10:32
Any manufacturer can have a bad batch... That said, I haven't had any problems with Winchester primers and in fact prefer them (other than Wolf .223 for the AR's) over all others.

byf43
08-08-2012, 10:40
Of the thousands and thousands of Winchester primers that I've used (all sizes), I've NEVER had one ('yet') to not ignite.

All problems I've had, were CCI. (Not being able to seat them in my Dillon RL-550B.)

Sounds like the primers weren't seated properly, either due to not being seated below flush, to begin with, or 'crud' in the primer pocket.
(That's just an educated guess. . . . not accusing anything!)

WeeWilly
08-08-2012, 10:51
In recent years I have loaded about 30K Winchester primers. They have been my default. Lately, I have had quite a few problems, out of spec cups, cracks on hot loads, etc. etc. There are a lot of reasons I have favored Winchester in the past, but if the quality issues persist, I will be changing brands.

JBnTX
08-08-2012, 11:02
I've used Winchester primers in all kinds of pistols, revolvers, M1 Garands, M1A's and AR-15 rifles for a long, long time without any problems.

I wonder if they've changed something in their manufacture?

sellersm
08-08-2012, 11:14
I seem to recall that they had a bad batch of primers that got out, but not sure if it was Large Pistol or Large Rifle? Google around a bit and you might find info. on it. Either way, I'd contact them and see what they say...

cowboy85306
08-08-2012, 13:20
Howdy- for pistol large primer applications, Winnny has been my go-to brand for decades without a FTF ( love the fact that they are for Standard OR Magnum loads) . In RIFLE STUFF, have used a LOT of Winchester brand factory ammo ( presumably loaded using Winchester primers ) in .308, .300 Win. Mag., 30-06, and 30-30 without EVER having a FTF. HAVE NOT done a lot of handloading with Winchester Large Rifle primers, but I would trust their ammo any day.

Murphy's Law
08-08-2012, 13:23
I prefer and use CCI and Federal primers. I however have used Winchester with equal results (call me lucky). I have also used a large amount of W209 for shotgun loads and never had a problem as well. Appears you in fact got a bad run of them.

dla
08-08-2012, 13:40
If you run race guns, Winchesters are the worst choice.

If you run regular guns, expect one FTF for each carton of primers.

In other words, Winchester primers cannot be depended upon for critical applications.

Please support that otherwise total BS statement with some data.

Cherokee Slim
08-08-2012, 13:41
Out of a 1k box I just used the last 100 this past week. For the first time we started having to rehammer on the lever gun and go around in the Rugers. In a CAS match this was a killer for us. Out of the 1k, 900 were fine but that last pack of 100 really messed us up. They are gone now and I doubt I'd use Winchester again. When they're good they're good, but when they're bad they screw up everything and ruin the match. I haven't had problems with other brands.
Cherokee Slim

GIockGuy24
08-08-2012, 14:08
I use a lot of Remington rifle primers, sometimes Federal rifle primers.

Zombie Steve
08-08-2012, 14:59
They're still in the 5-year process of moving to Mississippi. They dumped the unions, and they're seeming to have some growing pains, not just in component QC.

All that said, I never had an issue with their primers.

michael e
08-08-2012, 18:15
I use them 99% of the time, a few years ago during the shortage I had to pick up remington but just ran out of those few months back. I did just pick up some Tula ones in my last order and so far out of the 1k no issues.

Dawolf
08-08-2012, 18:56
I use a lot of Remington rifle primers, sometimes Federal rifle primers.

I did some with Remington primers and not a single problem. Based upon what I have read, it is likely I got some made on the Monday morning after the Christmas office party :dunno:

Zombie Steve
08-08-2012, 23:37
Better than 4:30 on a Friday primers....

steve4102
08-09-2012, 05:35
In a box of 100 primers, I had almost 1/2 that were bad. Had a large deep indentation in the ones that just went click in my '06. Anyone else experience this issue?

It is unlikely that over 50 out of 100 are bad. I would look elsewhere to find the problem.

I would check to make sure my primers were seated deep enough. A proud primer will dent, but not ignite. A second attempt will usually set off a primer that was seated proud.

Did you try and fire them a second or third time?

So far I have been lucky, in all my years I have never had a primer failure with any brand of primer including Win.

DoctaGlockta
08-09-2012, 07:01
No issues here.

My golf clubs work ok too.

Zombie Steve
08-09-2012, 08:27
No issues here.

My golf clubs work ok too.

I knew there was something wrong about you.

http://www.riprenfield.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/017-ted-knight-caddyshack-angry-golf.jpg

DoctaGlockta
08-09-2012, 11:45
I knew there was something wrong about you.

http://www.riprenfield.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/017-ted-knight-caddyshack-angry-golf.jpg

Good one.

I don't golf but you know golfer vs. golf club thing.

Not pointing fingers at anyone but I've found more times than not when things aren't going well with my reloading I tend to be the problem and not the equipment or components.

Giddyupgo55
08-09-2012, 18:30
The only problem I've every had with primers, was with CCI and that was 25 years ago or there abouts.

WiskyT
08-09-2012, 18:41
Good one.

I don't golf but you know golfer vs. golf club thing.

Not pointing fingers at anyone but I've found more times than not when things aren't going well with my reloading I tend to be the problem and not the equipment or components.

Actually, the Judge's grip was slippery and Danny needed to put some tape on it.

WiskyT
08-09-2012, 18:42
I agree though, it's a poor carpenter that blames his tools.

Dawolf
08-12-2012, 08:40
It is unlikely that over 50 out of 100 are bad. I would look elsewhere to find the problem.

I would check to make sure my primers were seated deep enough. A proud primer will dent, but not ignite. A second attempt will usually set off a primer that was seated proud.

Did you try and fire them a second or third time?

So far I have been lucky, in all my years I have never had a primer failure with any brand of primer including Win.

I did try them a second, but not a 3rd. So far using Remington primers, all have gone bang. The owner (big time reloader for over 40 yrs) of my local shop compared them with the Win. primers from the same batch and said they were likely defective.