WTF: Government can now use Wiretaps without Warrants [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : WTF: Government can now use Wiretaps without Warrants

WWJBD
08-08-2012, 08:35
Anyone else hear about this....this is some ****ed up stuff.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/08/appeals-court-oks-wiretapping/

JBnTX
08-08-2012, 09:16
With every day that passes, we're getting closer to 1984 and an oppressive Big Brother government.

Jerry
08-08-2012, 09:34
Just in.... From The Obomination administration.... (strong accent) Ve must keep a close eye on you pesky capitalists. Parse Ala! Oops! I mean the Fuhrer! Oops... The Chosen One. :bowdown:

series1811
08-08-2012, 09:42
With every day that passes, we're getting closer to 1984 and an oppressive Big Brother government.

Actually, it's getting close to 1941, the year when this program was started, and that was such an open secret, it's hard to believe that even the NYT didn't already know about it. It just wasn't leaked by the them until a certain Republican President came along that they didn't like very much, and restructured it to catch terrorists, instead of communists.

SPIN2010
08-08-2012, 10:24
Might be time to get rid of the items they can tap. Saves cash, foils enemies all in one step. :supergrin:

itstime
08-08-2012, 10:26
I'm on the phone with my wife as I type this. I hope they get as bored as I am right now. Lol

youngdocglock
08-08-2012, 10:30
meh! let em wire tap me all they want. all they will hear is me talking about work, my car and my girlfriend. if they wanna waste money on that......go for it lol

rgregoryb
08-08-2012, 12:25
our unit used to do Title III's (wiretaps) and the warrants required were very complex and way above what was needed for a search warrant, but these were state warrants

series1811
08-08-2012, 13:22
our unit used to do Title III's (wiretaps) and the warrants required were very complex and way above what was needed for a search warrant, but these were state warrants

Basically, (and for a long time now) you have five different types of wiretaps.
1. State (and done by having an enabling statute that tracks the federal Title III statute) (obtained through state courts)
2. Federal Title III wiretaps (obtained through federal courts)
3. Federal FISA wiretaps (done in secret through a special secret federal court) evidence cannot be used in regular criminal prosecutions
4. International call wiretaps (done without warrants, under the same theory as international mail being opened, or border searches. (done when the President tells you to do them).
5. (the ones that are still classified)

That's an extreme simplification, but it give one the framework to understand what the article is about.