Huge container of brass [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Huge container of brass

glockrod
08-08-2012, 16:44
Probably 15-20 gallons or more. It was in about 2'+ of the bottom of what looked to be an old herbie curbie.

All sorts of calibers. I saw 9mm, .45acp, .40, .223/5.56, and many others. The guy said that he didnt really know all of them, but admitted to a bunch of .357 mag/.38 and .45 Colt.
He said there was also a bunch of .22lr brass in there as his original goal was to sell it for scrap.
He has a nice range set up beside his house and said that a lot of people shoot at it.

So, I ask this with the idea that I hope to one day come across this guy again to buy some(although I dont know when/if that would ever be).
How much is random brass worth?
Do you buy it by the pound or gallon?
If so, how much is reasonable for brass?
I am only guessing that it is once fired since he obviously doesnt reload.

Rod

dkf
08-08-2012, 17:39
If he is going to sell it for scrap give him scrap price value or a little more. Call a couple local scrap metal recyclers and ask them what they are paying out for clean cartridge brass. Probably around $1.90lb depending on market price.

glockrod
08-08-2012, 18:06
Prior to me meeting this guy and asking about it, someone had already brought it to his attention that brass is more valuable than scrap. He just has never done anything with it.

I would not be trying to beat the man, I just wouldnt mind buying some mixed brass for a decent price. He may not even want to sell to me, but at least I will know in the future since I have had this situation arise two other times. Once, a guy even gave me about a gallon of .30-06 brass.

If I buy it in bulk, I will have to seperate it. Certainly that is worth something for a discounted price. If it was seperated by caliber, I would expect to pay a higher price.

I have seen prices, even here on GT, for seperated brass per 1000, and it is crazy high now. But, I want to take the middle man out and buy it direct. If anyone here buys and sells brass like this, feel free to PM me since I am sure you dont want to give away your profit percentage.

Rod

michael e
08-08-2012, 18:08
They sell brass by the pound at my local range, not sure of price .
As for what it's worth , that depends on the person. If you had alot of odd stuff like 10mm 45gap 357sig it would be worth more to me than if all you had was 9mm/40sw.
9mm 40sw I come home with more than what I shot that day.

TX Archer
08-08-2012, 19:06
Mixed brass used to cost $100 for a 5-gallon bucket at my indoor range. It went up to $150 a few weeks ago.

glockrod
01-18-2013, 05:37
I again thought of this pile of brass and gave the guy a call.
$200 is his asking price.

My questions:
For the brass I dont use or have guns for, like the .44 mag and .45 Colt, how good of a market is there for this brass?

If I get it, should I sell the spare brass as is or should I clean it first? And, how much is that brass worth in either condition since I have never had a need to price them?

pesticidal
01-18-2013, 05:54
The last time I checked, brass was running about two dollars a pound at the scrapyard.
At our range, we sell .45 for five dollars per hundred.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Bren
01-18-2013, 06:30
Mixed brass used to cost $100 for a 5-gallon bucket at my indoor range. It went up to $150 a few weeks ago.

Wow - I guess I could buy a gun if I sold off my unsorted brass container.

It's only an 18 Gallon rubbermaid tub, but it's filled over the top. Even at $2 a pound - it's so heavy I have a hard time sliding it on the floor.

shotgunred
01-18-2013, 06:51
That seems like a good price. Just remember though you have to sort and clean all of it. 22 are scrap.
May I suggest you buy a set of these.
http://www.shellsorter.com/files/page0_1.jpg
shell sorter

glockrod
01-18-2013, 07:12
Plus, you answered the question I forgot to ask about whether the .22lr brass would be accepted at the scrapyard.

Oh, and I have some pans to sort them with.

I will check some online prices to see if I want to sell the extra brass either cleaned or not. Plus, I may check to see what one of the reloading companies I see at the gun show may give me for them. To be honest, I dont know what I will do with it all, but I certainly hope to get as much useful brass as I can for me to reload!

Thanks

PCJim
01-18-2013, 14:28
The recyclers around my neck of the metropolis will accept both 22LR and spent primers.

22LR are not scrap to everyone. Just ask Fred.

squirreld
01-18-2013, 21:55
$200,
take it, no questions asked.

glockrod
01-19-2013, 18:36
I ended up with what is 4 almost full 5 gallon buckets of brass. It took the two of us to pick up the container to dump it!

I have a ton of work to do seperating this, but there is all sorts of different calibers' brass in these buckets. I bet there are at least 20-30 different calibers. Lots of 9, .38, .357, .40, and .45(all of which I was after), as well as others. Also, there are many larger caliber rifle brass.

I will update with my finds after I get into the buckets. I may be able to satisfy some of ya'lls needs on some less common stuff when the time comes.

labdwakin
01-19-2013, 21:14
I'd be interested in some of the 45 Colt if there is any.

gt984us
01-21-2013, 03:28
i will take all the 223/556 rifle bass you have

glockrod
01-21-2013, 19:58
I am about 40% done. So far, lots of what I was looking after. If I just get a boat load of any one caliber, I may let some loose.

Here are some of the thing I know I will let go of to anyone interested:
.45 Colt
.44 mag
.380 acp
.32 Auto
.30 carbine(only some so far)
5.7x28??(ditto)
all sorts of large cal brass ranging from the .308 family, .30-06 family, and Magnum family. I have even found 2 .45-70.
The first 3 on this list will likely be more than 1k pieces each.

eta: I have been finding some kind of bottleneck pistol cartridge that appeas to be about .30 cal. I have yet to find a caliber marking as all of them appear to be military rounds. The vast majority of these brass are split at the top of the bottle part of the case with the neck intact. What is this and is it even worth saving?
Also, can the 5.7 be reloaded? It is such a tiny bottleneck cartridge...almost cute! It looks like the next step down in size. From .50bmg to .30-06 to .223 to 5.7.

glockrod
01-24-2013, 11:06
7.62x25 Tokarev. Many of you prolly already knew that.
Being Russain, of course it is Berdan primed.
Other than the scrap pile, is there any other use for this or any other Berdan primed brass I am finding?

I know now! I can make a strand of Christmas ornaments out of them!!! I did that with some high brass shotgun shells for my brother.

And thats about all I got!!