CA Escapee
08-08-2012, 22:54
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/31342378/detail.html

janice6
08-08-2012, 23:05
Good to hear.

Glock_9mm
08-09-2012, 02:12
I can't say I agree with the timing of Mapes' choice to open carry, but I am happy to hear that he was not punished for open carry in an open carry state.
Scott

wmodavis
08-09-2012, 07:47
Timing???

BigDeeeeeeee
08-09-2012, 08:15
Timing???Some people believe you should only exercise a right when it's socially acceptable.

John Rambo
08-09-2012, 08:18
How did he get made if he was concealing his weapon?

Misty02
08-09-2012, 08:23
The charge, based on the article "arrested for possession of a dangerous weapon in a liquor or beer establishment"

Based on Handgunlaw: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf

Carry in Restaurants that Serve Alcohol "Yes"

Is it possible for the officers to make a call in cases such as these to confirm the charges fit? Would it have helped any if the person being investigated requested a call to the supervisor, before being placed under arrest, if they knew their actions were not against the law?

wmodavis
08-09-2012, 08:37

Get made???

BigDeeeeeeee - "Be safe only when it is socially acceptable" Yeah right! Let them believe what they want. Why carry anytime since it is not 'socially acceptable'.

CA Escapee
08-09-2012, 08:47

He wasn't. He was open carrying.

Bill

Misty02
08-09-2012, 08:54

He was OC as allowed in his state and as he had done in previous visits to the same theater.

Would I have done it, even if legal, at this particular time? No, I donít believe it was prudent. But Iím aware itís not about what I believe or feel is right. There are many things that other people do I believe is in poor taste, inconsiderate and even morally reprehensible, but they still have the legal right to do it.

CA Escapee
08-09-2012, 09:01
The charge, based on the article "arrested for possession of a dangerous weapon in a liquor or beer establishment"

Based on Handgunlaw: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf

Carry in Restaurants that Serve Alcohol "Yes"

Is it possible for the officers to make a call in cases such as these to confirm the charges fit? Would it have helped any if the person being investigated requested a call to the supervisor, before being placed under arrest, if they knew their actions were not against the law?

I would imagine it would be a good thing to mention it to them to get it on the record. As it stands now Thornton PD has egg on their face.

I was astounded by the way the charges changed over time. I figured it was a case of the PD throwing as much mud at the wall as possible and hoping some of it would stick.

Off on a tangent, there's an organization in CA that is defending gun owners that are arrested, detained, etc. by the police when in the end all charges are dropped. (maybe after a criminal court case) Their tact is: 1. To get the attention of the city via a monetary settlement, 2. Pointing out to the PD just how poorly written the laws are, (good intentions don't make good laws,) and 3. Making their department spend time having their officers better trained in the laws on the books, thus saving money in the long run.

Bill

CA Escapee
08-09-2012, 09:02
He was OC as allowed in his state and as he had done in previous visits to the same theater.

Would I have done it, even if legal, at this particular time? No, I donít believe it was prudent. But Iím aware itís not about what I believe or feel is right. There are many things that other people do I believe is in poor taste, inconsiderate and even morally reprehensible, but they still have the legal right to do it.

+1

Bill

John Rambo
08-09-2012, 09:13
He wasn't. He was open carrying.

Bill

Ah. The ambassadors of our second amendment.

Let me pose a question. And don't read into it, don't infer more than I'm asking. Just mull this over.

When is the last time anyone heard a story about something POSITIVE coming from someone open carrying rather than concealed carrying?

CigarandScotch
08-09-2012, 09:29

Let me pose a question. And don't read into it, don't infer more than I'm asking. Just mull this over.

When is the last time anyone heard a story about something POSITIVE coming from someone open carrying rather than concealed carrying?

My thoughts exactly.

Sendarr
08-09-2012, 09:29

Let's say we go back a few years and I pose the question.. when was the last time anyone heard a story of something POSITIVE coming from blacks or women standing up for their rights?

Perhaps I ask you to provide an instance where you went to the movies and didn't play with yourself in the parking lot, can you prove it?

Can anyone prove the signs and stickers around their house for their security systems are helping to stop burglers?

You don't REALLY hear when anything positive comes from CCW either. You do however, hear when someone goes on a shooting spree and noone is CC'ing or OC'ing to do anything about it.

CigarandScotch
08-09-2012, 09:41
I just think that OC incidents make the rest of us look like dumb extremists most of the time. I don't want the 2nd amendment scrutinized because a bunch of OC'ers don't know how to act and make everyone else feel uncomfortable. CC just makes more sense to me at almost all levels.

HerrGlock
08-09-2012, 09:51

When was the last time you read about "John Doe open carried today and nothing happened. No one looked crosseyed at him and no cop shot him on general principle"?

There's a reason you only hear about the things that have some sort of out of the ordinary reaction to them.

I really don't give a damn if you OC, don't, like it or do not. I don't care. Your argument is not valid, though.

CigarandScotch
08-09-2012, 10:01
I don't disagree with any of the points stated above, but do seem to see attention drawn at times to OC'ers. I don't care about it per se, but just don't want it to affect gun rights in a negative way. I wouldn't do it, but that's just me.

jph02
08-09-2012, 10:56
Mr. Mapes has a CCW and should have CCed. He chose to OC at a Colorado theater, so he got the attention he deserved, IMHO.

Based purely on CO gun laws, he should not have been arrested, but I don't know the circumstances and actions that took place when he encountered the police.

CigarandScotch
08-09-2012, 11:14
My state doesn't allow CC at any venue where people assemble and pay admission. I assume that might apply to OC as well, but don't actually know for sure, since I never OC and haven't checked laws regarding it.

John Rambo
08-09-2012, 11:18
When was the last time you read about "John Doe open carried today and nothing happened. No one looked crosseyed at him and no cop shot him on general principle"?

There's a reason you only hear about the things that have some sort of out of the ordinary reaction to them.

I really don't give a damn if you OC, don't, like it or do not. I don't care. Your argument is not valid, though.

That would be a neutral story, not a positive one. Please answer the question I asked rather than trying to dismantle it on a false premise.

HerrGlock
08-09-2012, 11:22
That would be a neutral story, not a positive one. Please answer the question I asked rather than trying to dismantle it on a false premise.

Exact same thing, "Store not robbed because thief saw OC person and walked back out." Going to make the news every night, right?

Invalid discussion. Doesn't work.

John Rambo
08-09-2012, 11:25
Exact same thing, "Store not robbed because thief saw OC person and walked back out." Going to make the news every night, right?

Invalid discussion. Doesn't work.

Sure it does. I can find you lots of great, positive stories about CCers who do good things and are recognized as heroes or at the very least, painted as the good guy. Find me some for OCers.

It doesn't work because you don't want to accept the facts about people who OC.

Gunnut 45/454
08-09-2012, 12:37
John Rambo
Yes we know your a rabid anti-oc guy ! Mr. Mapes was falsely charged for being a legal gun carrier! That is the point of this thread! I see the city DA saw through the BS charges and determined it was in the best interest of the city to drop the charges vs pay the very large lawsuit settlement that was to come for violating Mr. Mapes rights!:supergrin:

The possitive result of OC: The city PD now knows if they violate a persons right to OC where legal they will loose! Now the public knows it is legal to OC and they should not go all ape **** when they see it. Cause criminals don't carry openly.:supergrin:

CA Escapee
08-09-2012, 13:03

Never. Unless you could interview criminals where they stated they avoided robbing a business because someone was oc'ing. It is hard to prove a negative.

I guess we could look at the ultimate extreme case. When was the last time you heard of anyone being robbed at a gun show?

Granted, there are documented cases where a couple of knuckle-heads have tried to rob gun stores. There are even videos of a couple of kids trying to rob a police station, but I'd say those are flyers in the data.

Bill

BigDeeeeeeee
08-09-2012, 14:01
Find me some for OCers.

http://www.examiner.com/article/open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-kennesaw
It is hard to prove a negative, but I believe this sort of thing happens daily, it just doesn't make the news.

SevenSixtyTwo
08-09-2012, 17:12
In shoulder to shoulder crowds like movie theaters, I wouldn't OC. Just me... I'm glad the bogus charges were dropped. Someone needs to shove a sock in the busy body's yak. She caused way too much commotion over safe, legal, non issue activity.

windpoint
08-09-2012, 17:25
In shoulder to shoulder crowds like movie theaters, I wouldn't OC. Just me... I'm glad the bogus charges were dropped. Someone needs to shove a sock in the busy body's yak. She caused way too much commotion over safe, legal, non issue activity.

It's felt that the woman caller in Madison, WI at Culvers a few years ago was part of the set up that resulted in Madison PD making big mistakes.

windpoint
08-09-2012, 17:28
I think that OC would just give any and every AH an excuse to give me grief. Now that WI has CCW why give 'em the opening. I'm a 60 yr old who looks harmless. That gives me the edge.

Gun Shark
08-09-2012, 19:21
I think that OC would just give any and every AH an excuse to give me grief. Now that WI has CCW why give 'em the opening. I'm a 60 yr old who looks harmless. That gives me the edge.

I agree, I want the edge if I ever have to use it. I want the element of surprise. I am a 21 year old twig(who looks younger) for lack of a better phrase. I am the last person someone would expect to be carrying anything, but a smartphone. That said, I really couldn't give two ****s what way someone carries as long as it doesn't endanger people. If you want to open carry be my guest. I will stick with concealed carry.

cowboy1964
08-09-2012, 19:25
Was he legal? Apparently so. Was he being smart? Apparently not.

skippz
08-09-2012, 21:59
Far be it from me to guess or interpret someone's thought process when they do something that obviously lacks sense and/or sympathy, but I would think that after the recent theater shootings ppl would be a little more sensitive. I mean was it his right to OC? Sure was. Was it the right thing to do @ the time? Probably freakin' not. I'm the most pro-gun person I know, but it seems to me that the incidents in Ohio and Mass. were perhaps two guys seeking attention. If these guys were genuinely concerned about their safety due to recent events, why not conceal the weapon? I mean it's not difficult and if I were to bet, this is the 1st time they OCed in public, if not the first time they carried in public period... I believe us "gun nuts" as libs like to label us, or ccw's are a little sharper and more in tune if you will, and take on a greater responsibility when we adorn that sidearm... We don't carry a gun because it's our right, we carry a gun because it's our right to defend ourselves and it just happens to be the best tool... I don't think these guys should be charged, btw, I just think someone should remind them that concealment is an option sometimes...

NEOH212
08-10-2012, 03:31
I can't believe they actually did the right thing for a change and dropped the charges.

I hope he sues the snot out of that city.

fuzzy03cls
08-10-2012, 08:21
Good example of just because the law says it's legal doesn't mean you still can't be put through the ringer. Look at what costs the guy in $, time, getting booked & publicity.

hamster
08-10-2012, 08:30
Some people believe you should only exercise a right when it's socially acceptable.

Probably a good idea to refrain from flaunting certain rights at times when people are super-jumpy. Just like I woudn't exercise my 1st amendment right to yell out "allah akbar" while standing in line at the airport. Within my rights...but bad idea.

redbaron007
08-10-2012, 09:25

Although your question seems logical on the surface, as several others have pointed out, it doesn't make news until its a tragedy. IIRC, the FBI interviewed criminals who were convicted, conclusively stated they avoided areas where CCWers or OCers were present.

As for the Good Feeling News you see on TV, it won't happen unless there is an event that triggers it.

IMHO, CCW/OC would not have prevented the Aurora shooting. However, if the theater had not had it posted, then the shooter would have possibly considered other firearms could be present...therefore potentially thwarting his mass shooting. Not sure that would even have prevented it. I think he intended to be killed anyway. It seems to be fairly common for most mass shootings to occur in GFZs. :faint:

:wavey:

red

TBO
08-10-2012, 09:35
Adams County considers state charges after local gun charges dropped in theater case

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/449dc925e68c4be89bf899a7b27ccd35/CO--Colorado-Shooting-Theater-Arrest
----------------------

Colo. laws at odds over guns in theaters

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Colo-laws-at-odds-over-guns-in-theaters-3774738.php#ixzz239tEjTwc

redbaron007
08-10-2012, 10:01
Adams County considers state charges after local gun charges dropped in theater case

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/449dc925e68c4be89bf899a7b27ccd35/CO--Colorado-Shooting-Theater-Arrest
----------------------

Colo. laws at odds over guns in theaters

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Colo-laws-at-odds-over-guns-in-theaters-3774738.php#ixzz239tEjTwc

I'm trying to figure out the state charges? If he didn't violate the City ordinances...what is the county's gripe? Other than to make headlines for a Prosecuting Attorney that may be up for re-election. :dunno:

red

Gunnut 45/454
08-10-2012, 13:14
TBO
Yep I'm sure they can dream up some charge to file! Now do they have deep enough pockets to pay for the false prosecution of Mapes? I can't wait to see how big his settlement will be for the violation of his right to carry!:rofl:

jph02
08-10-2012, 18:24
I'm trying to figure out the state charges? If he didn't violate the City ordinances...what is the county's gripe? Other than to make headlines for a Prosecuting Attorney that may be up for re-election.
Wait. What? A politician would do that? :wow:

If the city, which effected the arrest, dropped all charges, and there's no other complaint (since the business owner doesn't have a no guns policy), the county has no business even opening its yap. :shakehead:

redbaron007
08-11-2012, 13:01
Wait. What? A politician would do that? :wow:

If the city, which effected the arrest, dropped all charges, and there's no other complaint (since the business owner doesn't have a no guns policy), the county has no business even opening its yap. :shakehead:

Ain't that the truth!! However, I am willing to bet some politics are involved...unfortunately! :wow:

red

liberty addict
08-11-2012, 16:13

I will need help nailing down where this happened; but there was a restaurant (maybe a Denny's or a truck stop?) and outside was a criminal gang that was about to rob the place; they sent in a scout who came back and reported there were 2 guys inside open carrying 1911s, and THIS caused the gang to abort. The whole thing was discovered due to a cop who saw them and thought they looked suspicious, and stopped to talk to them (the crooks outside). I consider this quite positive. It probably happens a fair amount, but is not normally a news item as the crooks take off and go bother somebody else.

TBO
08-11-2012, 17:49
Interesting story, but this being the Internet that's all it is w/o verification.

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk 2

jph02
08-11-2012, 17:55
I will need help nailing down where this happened; but there was a restaurant (maybe a Denny's or a truck stop?) and outside was a criminal gang that was about to rob the place; they sent in a scout who came back and reported there were 2 guys inside open carrying 1911s, and THIS caused the gang to abort. The whole thing was discovered due to a cop who saw them and thought they looked suspicious, and stopped to talk to them (the crooks outside). I consider this quite positive. It probably happens a fair amount, but is not normally a news item as the crooks take off and go bother somebody else.
It was in February 2010 at a Waffle House in Kennesaw GA (http://www.examiner.com/article/open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-kennesaw). I'd read about it here on GT recently, but I couldn't turn up the post using the search function.

Drain You
08-11-2012, 19:21
Uninformed anti gun idiots in uniform gonna be uniformed anti gun idiots.

TBO
08-11-2012, 19:36
Thanks for the citation.

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk 2

Drain You
08-12-2012, 06:39
It was in February 2010 at a Waffle House in Kennesaw GA (http://www.examiner.com/article/open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-kennesaw). I'd read about it here on GT recently, but I couldn't turn up the post using the search function.

I remember that when it happened. Makes you think about all the times when someone has walked into a restaurant late at night and walked back out after seeming to not enjoy the company.