Can someone tell me honestly, what does it feel like to carry concealed? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me honestly, what does it feel like to carry concealed?

Gpruitt54
08-08-2012, 20:42
Can someone tell me honestly, what does it feel like to carry concealed? Itseems like one night be nervous about carrying. Are there issues and rulesabout printing of your carry weapon? I am in the process if getting a Utah non-resident CCWpermit.

RJ's Guns
08-08-2012, 21:06
Can someone tell me honestly, what does it feel like to carry concealed?

It feels reassuring and normal.
RJ

Gpruitt54
08-08-2012, 21:22
It feels reassuring and normal.
RJ

Yeah, with all the nuts and bangers on the streets now days, reassurance sounds very... very good. That is the same answer my cop buddies all say. But they are officers and carry every day for their jobs.

Thanks for your reply. Are there issues/rules about the weapon showing through and/or under your clothing???

DesertEagle
08-08-2012, 22:21
Yeah, with all the nuts and bangers on the streets now days, reassurance sounds very... very good. That is the same answer my cop buddies all say. But they are officers and carry every day for their jobs.

Thanks for your reply. Are there issues/rules about the weapon showing through and/or under your clothing???

It varies from state to state. Since you didn't specify and only said you are getting a utah non-res permit, we wouldn't be able to do more than tell you to refer to your state/city/local laws and ordinances and whatnot (Which really, you should do anyway.). Some states you can open carry for example, but some of the cities/localities have ordinances against it.

In the meantime, if you wanted to pursue that thread, you might want to start a new one, instead of taking this one on a different tack than it was started. Many see it as a bit unsociable to "hijack" a thread and divert it to a new topic not really related to the beginning one.

DE

RJ's Guns
08-08-2012, 22:31

Re “Are there issues/rules about the weapon showing through and/or under your clothing?” It depends on the rules in your jurisdiction; there is no universal answer to that question. I would suggest that you check your local rules. I dress to accommodate whatever handgun I intend to carry. The bigger the handgun (unless I am wearing a jacket) the looser and more baggy my shirt.

I thought some more about your statement that; “one might be nervous about carrying.” I do not know your particular situation; but you may need some more practice and formal training with the handgun that you intend to carry. As a general rule the more that you are trained and experience with handguns, the less nervous you are.

In addition, the make and model of handgun may make you more nervous than another make and model. I know that it is sacrilegious to say this on this forum, but because of the design of the trigger mechanism, I do not recommend a Glock to someone inexperienced in carrying a handgun. I suggest a double action auto-loader or revolver to such individuals. I would point out that you can get a H&K P30s that is double action and also has a ambidextrous safety lever mounted on both sides of the frame. That is a double safe design.
RJ

Bruce M
08-09-2012, 07:04
The more one carries, the less anxious about carrying one generally becomes.
Even if considerable printing or a gun showing through a translucent garment is not illegal, it is probably in poor taste in more than a few situations, and may attract far more attention than one wants or likes.
A significant number of people end up with a Glock as their first and often only handgun and have no issues carryng it. When traditional double action pistols were the standard most places that had a policy that indicated the gun would be carried with the safety in the off position.

mtnglide
08-09-2012, 08:27
Just feels normal when I carry, feels damn strange when I'm not.

simotek
08-09-2012, 08:32
It feels totally normal.

debbert
08-09-2012, 08:33
Normal, yet liberating.

CA Escapee
08-09-2012, 08:35
Can someone tell me honestly, what does it feel like to carry concealed? Itseems like one night be nervous about carrying. Are there issues and rulesabout printing of your carry weapon? I am in the process if getting a Utah non-resident CCWpermit.

I took the NRA Personal Protection class as part of the requirement for a Colorado permit. One segment of the class dealt with Colorado laws. I specifically asked the Boulder County Deputy that taught the legal segment about printing in public. He said when their dispatchers get a call for a person carrying a gun the dispatcher will ask detailed questions of the caller. "Can you see the gun, is it covered up, is it in a holster, is the person waving it around, is it a robbery, etc." Once the dispatcher determines what's going on they will either educate the caller as to what the laws are, or send units. They don't want to waste their resources sending units all over the county for no reason at all. That's in Boulder County, CO. There is no law in Colorado against printing. Where you are WILL make a difference; it's impossible to predict what may happen in the future.

Part of the Personal Protection class discussed being aware of your surroundings. Keep your head up, look around, be aware of who's around you and what's going on around you, don't walk down a darkened alley at night just because you're carrying.

You have to dress around the gun. Plan on buying new clothes to conceal your firearm. If you carry IWB you may need larger pants to be able to stuff all that metal, plastic, or leather in your wasteband. (You are carrying a Glock, aren't you?) Get a real gun belt if you're going to carry IWB or OWB, it makes a difference. You may need larger or fuller cut shirts to carry concealed. Get a good holster that holds the gun securely.

Know the state laws where you'll be carrying. It sounds like you're not a resident of Utah, hence the non-resident Utah permit. Here's a tip, don't carry concealed in Colorado with that non-resident Utah permit. Colorado only recognizes a permit if it is issued to you by the state where you live.

You may be nervous at first, but you'll become more confident.

HerrGlock
08-09-2012, 08:41
First time it feels like you have a red blinking neon sign "MAN WITH GUN" on your forehead.

After a few times you realize you could have a 12 Ga strapped under your arm with no cover garment and not even 10% of the people would notice.

How does it feel to have a spare tire in your car?
How does it feel to have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen?
Doesn't feel like anything, they just are there if you need them.

BuzznRose
08-09-2012, 08:50
With everyone carrying an iPhone/Android on their belt these days, less folk even notice the bulges unless you are wearing a thin and tight shirt. Dark clothes show less than light.

Also, like others said, the more you carry, the more at ease you are. Get a good belt and holster for sure. Start wearing around the house at first.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

robhic
08-09-2012, 09:49
Are there issues and rulesabout printing of your carry weapon?

Yes. The simple answer is DO NOT LET YOU WEAPON SHOW. The statement "concealed means concealed" is applicable. Unless you open carry. But otherwise, there is a reason it is called concealed carry ....

X-Aggie95
08-09-2012, 10:12
As a CC newbie it was strange carrying the first time. You become more comfortable with time and glad I'm doing it. It was a challenge for me to carry one chambered, but again over time you become comfortable. Don't mistake comfortable with unaware and as always safety first.

C5A
08-09-2012, 10:15
It feels abnormal if I do not carry. Court house for instance.

CDR_Glock
08-09-2012, 10:24

Do you carry a wallet in the pocket or a cellular phone? That's what it feels like to me. Just one added item to carry.

With the appropriate holster, you should be appropriately comfortable and confident. I don't think it's wise to carry without a holster, or use a Grip Clip. So aside from that, Condition 1, all the way.

Edit:
Disregard, the following statements: you said you were getting a Non-resident Utah concealed carry license: Problem with your open carry laws out there, two actions are necessary: i.e. Loaded Magazine without round in the chamber of a Semiauto or empty chamber on the first trigger pull of a Revolver sounds like a disaster.

Dalton Wayne
08-09-2012, 10:29
Just feels normal when I carry, feels damn strange when I'm not.
:thumbsup:

BamaBud
08-09-2012, 10:35
Having carried (legally) for more than 40 years, I feel strange NOT carrying.

I saw my first OCer in person yesterday. I was cc in local Grocery store. Noticed another man, about 50-60 years old OCing a Kimber in a tooled leather holster. Funny, no one else seemed to notice (or make a commotion anyway).

TheJ
08-09-2012, 10:43
First time it feels like you have a red blinking neon sign "MAN WITH GUN" on your forehead.

After a few times you realize you could have a 12 Ga strapped under your arm with no cover garment and not even 10% of the people would notice.

+1

After a while it feels really uncomfortable to NOT carry.

VinnieD
08-09-2012, 10:47
At first you feel a tad nervous, but quickly enough you stop thinking about it at all. Not carrying feels like going out without your pants.

Hawkeye16
08-09-2012, 10:48
Definitely feel weird and you worry a lot about printing and stuff to start with but after a while it becomes natural. You don't even notice unless you don't have it.

Three-Five-Seven
08-09-2012, 10:53
Well, like my CCW instructor said, When you carry a firearm, you must first put a "Cone of Peace" around yourself. I have absolutely no intention of ever using a firearm to shoot another human being. But, I am trained and equipped to do so.

Carrying concealed means that you are not carrying. If anybody knows you have a firearm on your person, you are not carrying a concealed weapon. Conversely, if you are carrying concealed, you do not have a firearm as far as anybody (ANYbody) is concerned. Period.

KCinBAMA
08-09-2012, 11:26
Can someone tell me honestly, what does it feel like to carry concealed? Itseems like one night be nervous about carrying.

Before I carried for the first time, I ran across the open carry forums. After 3 days of reading about open carriers in my state - I was fully prepared and a lot less nervous to begin carrying concealed. Now, 2 years later, I carry every day and all the time except when I am wet, sleeping, or engaged in some sort of strenuous physical activity. However, I have yet to open carry, and would actually be nervous about it in my area - even though it is legal in Alabama.

RyanNREMTP
08-09-2012, 12:13
Carrying concealed the first time is just like going commando the first time. Strange but you get used to it.

Outhouse Hub, the misinformation solution.

HKLovingIT
08-09-2012, 12:17
Mentally: It feels like a big responsibility, it is.

First couple weeks you think everyone is watching you, they aren't. Then you calm down about it and it's 'routine' in a way as you integrate it into your daily activities.

Physically: With the right belt and holster and a little getting used to it, you don't notice.

This is a good book for you:

Amazon.com: The Gun Digest Book Of Concealed Carry (9780896896116): Massad Ayoob: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mfq2vZpPL.@@AMEPARAM@@51mfq2vZpPL

This is a good web site for you:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

youngdocglock
08-09-2012, 12:17
It feels to me like carrying a cellphone, or a wallet, or a watch, maybe even my car keys. Just a little bigger. When i first started carrying, it felt taboo. Because i had never had a permit before and i was always worried about getting in hot water for having my gun in the car *unloaded*. For maybe 3 days i felt like a kid who got his first pocket knife, kinda felt cool i guess.....that went away. Especially with further training and realizing the seriousness of carrying a weapon.

The state i live in has NO printing laws, so while i am aware and attempt to avoid it. Im not paranoid if it happens.

It also feels good! I know that i train a crap ton with my weapon, i am highly confident in my abilities. It feels good to know that if it hits the fan, i wont be standing there with my pants around my ankles.

I have very few "paranoia's" about carrying. I dont even get nervous when i encounter an LEO. Im legal, my weapon is legal and im of sound mind and legal status.

Only time i get "nervous" is when i believe there is a chance i may have to clear leather. That makes me nervous. However carrying....does not.

TheExplorer
08-09-2012, 12:18
If you get a band holster you can wear it under your rib cage. You won't even know it's there. Most important thing is to practice drawing from concealment.

tslex
08-09-2012, 12:22
It feels like being fully dressed.

With a proper holster/belt and a modicum of training, the "carrying" part is a non-issue after the second day.

That is NOT the same thing as the using part. Spend the time and money to become proficient with your pistol. Spend the time and care to develop the proper mindset and deal with the moral implications of using deadly force.

Equipment/proficiency/mindset make up the triad, but mindset is the master of them all.

Read this: http://suburbansheepdog.blogspot.com/2010/12/resolved.html

blk69stang
08-09-2012, 13:22
It's just like sex. The first couple of times you're nervous and thinking "I can't believe I'm getting to do this!", but after you do it enough times, it becomes natural and second nature. If you suddenly can't anymore, it becomes a big deal as well. :wow:

ZO6Vettever
08-09-2012, 13:50
After you get used to it, no big deal. One thing it does to me is makes me absolutly avoid any confrontation. I'll do all I can to steer clear of trouble.

WarEagle32
08-09-2012, 14:01
The more one carries, the less anxious about carrying one generally becomes.
Even if considerable printing or a gun showing through a translucent garment is not illegal, it is probably in poor taste in more than a few situations, and may attract far more attention than one wants or likes.
A significant number of people end up with a Glock as their first and often only handgun and have no issues carryng it. When traditional double action pistols were the standard most places that had a policy that indicated the gun would be carried with the safety in the off position.

I agree with Bruce. Always do. Its something you really get use to over time. Then, if you are like me I won't even go to the mail box without a pistol.

purrrfect 10
08-09-2012, 14:08
It feels great, actually don't even know it is there but should I need it well you know the rest of the story.

wprebeck
08-09-2012, 15:53
Like I am embued with the power of a god.

Or, after about 15 years of carrying - the last 12 of which is literally everywhere as I am an officer - normal.

jakebrake
08-09-2012, 15:56
It feels totally normal.

prettyt much. the first time, you will be very aware that you are carrying (constant fear of printing was huge for me)

after that? meh.

SevenSixtyTwo
08-09-2012, 17:00
Like having an anvil in my front pocket at work. I don't really care if it prints a little. I think the "he might be armed" is more of a deterrent than open carry "look at that fool strutting around like a cowboy". The unknown or uncertainty is pretty unnerving to us humans. On my time, my G26 rides in a Galco concealable belt holster. Makes a pretty obvious bulge in my cover shirt. Especially if I'm wearing a simple T shirt. On occasion I feel a little self conscious about it but mostly it's reassuring. You get used to it and then it feels odd without it. I wore it to see my proctologist surgeon today. Just in case I felt two hands on me during the exam!

SouthpawG26
08-09-2012, 17:00
The first few days of cc, all you think of is GUN. You feel it. You think about every time you stand up, sit down, or walk.

But this goes away after a week. Just make sure your method of carry is stable and constant, with no unpredictable shifting as your day goes on.

Once you've established that everything stays put for an entire day, you will not feel the gun anymore.

Try to practice 5-10 draws from concealment at the end of the workday, after unloading the gun first.

Drain You
08-09-2012, 17:09
Carrying for the first time or weeks is very different than if you've been carrying for a long time.

The first few weeks it is like a sore on the inside of your mouth, you can't stop touching it & you wonder if others can see it.

Eventually it just becomes a part of you. Like getting use to wearing a watch, some people just take longer than others to settle.

Deaf Smith
08-09-2012, 17:29

It feels like it feels when I carry my wallet. That is I've become so used to it I sure don't feel shame or excitement or apprehension or such.

It's legal, it's safe, and it's RIGHT, morally right. All decent people should be armed if they desire.

I'm quite happy sitting back with a book in Barns&Noble with a good cup of Joe and my S&W Centennial is resting comfortably in it's IWB appendix holster.

I have no worries when I'm in Wal-Mart with my Glock 26 in it's IWB holster in the cooler months. Or in the local donut shop on a Saturday morning (newspaper, cup of Joe, and a sausage biscuit.. and that Centennial.)

I'm polite to people (always have been) so I never have problems. I'll only need the gun if something really serious shows up.

Deaf

NMG26
08-09-2012, 17:41
Yeah you get that used to it.

The other day I went to the gas station and did not realize I had forgot my CCW in the house. I suddenly realized it when I was pumping gas. Well I went right home and grabbed my CCW before carrying on with the rest of my errands. I felt like that was the right thing to do.

I don't worry too much about printing, most people are not looking at me.

JerryVO
08-09-2012, 17:45
I think the group hit the nail on the head

The first few weeks I thought everyone was staring at me. By the end of month 2 or so I would occasionally touch it or adjust. Now it is no different than throwing my cell phone in my pocket and forgetting about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

TBO
08-09-2012, 18:03

http://i45.tinypic.com/35n3u6s.jpg

pizza
08-09-2012, 18:09
It makes me feel like a tough guy mall ninja...kidding aside, as others mentioned it's weird at first but you get used to it and after awhile it's not even noticeable anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

janice6
08-09-2012, 18:09
To be perfectly honest, I don't even think about it unless something gets my radar up, then all I feel is that I must put myself in the best possible position for the protection of me and my family, and make the least reasonable target.

I believe that after 12/14 years of carrying every day, I have become quite comfortable with concealing and carrying my weapon. I try not to advertise bravado or arrogance, yet I feel confident and aware of my abilities and shortcomings.

We are carrying concealed for our protection, we are not gun fighters, cops or "law givers". Just self protectors.

I would defer to a cop at any given time. He has far better training under stress then I have.

That's how it "feels" for me.

PettyOfficer
08-09-2012, 18:12
Carrying concealed the first time is just like going commando the first time. Strange but you get used to it.

Best...

PettyOfficer
08-09-2012, 18:14
If you get a band holster you can wear it under your rib cage. You won't even know it's there.

If you're skinny. Which many of us are not.

In2deep
08-09-2012, 18:14
Feels Like having done 100 sit-ups.

Rick C
08-09-2012, 18:18
Since I mostly pocket carry a j-frame due to climate and my choice of apparel, I never really thought about it. After doing this since 1998 (last century), I know when I’m not carrying it just doesn’t feel right.

august1410
08-09-2012, 18:21
Having carried (legally) for more than 40 years, I feel strange NOT carrying.

I saw my first OCer in person yesterday. I was cc in local Grocery store. Noticed another man, about 50-60 years old OCing a Kimber in a tooled leather holster. Funny, no one else seemed to notice (or make a commotion anyway).

I OCd a S&W N Frame until yesterday. Bought the Glock yesterday.

Cali-Glock
08-09-2012, 18:29
It seems weird at first - always thinking that you are printing. Then it becomes natural, with no concerns at all.

dcc12
08-09-2012, 18:33

I'm thinking if you are asking this question. You have not thought it through adequately and have no business carrying until you examine the reasons you want to carry.

Creatism
08-09-2012, 18:56
When I first started carrying I was very nervous about printing making sure I followed all signs (even the ones that aren't legal) and also felt this over powering urge to tell everyone I was carrying(i was young a very stupid "kid with gun syndrome") After about 6-12 months the worry over printing ended (people just look that closely, what is obviously a gun to me doesn't even register with most people)! The urge to tell everyone is just the "newness" thing. As far as signs legal or otherwise that's up to you to decide if your gonna follow them or if concealed means concealed. I made my choice, but what ever you decide to do, be prepared for the consequences of your choice, wether its watching your family get killed, or being involved in a good shoot but going to jail on felony trespass laws.

The thing that is most important, and I hope it doesn't take an incident happening to make it clear to you, But once you get that license, you are obligated to have a gun on at all times, my suggestion is once you get your license wear your gun every day no excuses for 60-90 days, then try going without it, you will feel naked.

Typed from my iPhone with my thumbs!!

Gun Shark
08-09-2012, 19:27
I may be in the minority, but I really never felt odd while carrying, and it feels insanely odd when I don't have it. I also have 0 issues with carrying condition one.

IndyGunFreak
08-09-2012, 19:39

Totally agree.

The OP is in a city that pretty much bastardizes the carrying of arms (Illinois).. so I'd say his question is normal.

From a paranoia standpoint, you will think everyone is staring at you every time you're carrying in Indiana. Gun laws in Indiana, are pretty much dead simple. Open Carry w/ an Indiana permit is perfectly legal, not sure it would be with a Utah Non-Res or not.

From a comfort stand point.

Key thing, do not skimp on the belt. Your dickies/carhart Wal Mart/Tractor Supply belts will not work to support a firearm. It will sag and be very uncomfortable, not to mention probably print like crazy. Not saying you have to spend $200 on a belt, but make sure you get a QUALITY GUN BELT.

Other than that, just know the laws where you intend to carry.

IndyGunFreak
08-09-2012, 19:40
I'm thinking if you are asking this question. You have not thought it through adequately and have no business carrying until you examine the reasons you want to carry.

I think you're a closet liberal. What makes you think he shouldn't carry, when he's asking a perfectly legitimate question.

You don't have to be a trained operator to carry a concealed firearm.

Gpruitt54
08-09-2012, 21:32

I know exactly why I am attempting to get a CCW permit. There are threeprimary reasons:

-To be secure in my person, and to protect my wife and family.

-To exercise my 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

-If as a last resort to, product others.

Carrying a weapon is a gigantic responsibility. I already know why I want to do this. I am wondering what others feel when doing this.

vafish
08-10-2012, 04:04
After almost 30 years of carrying a gun it feels so normal to carry that it feels strange when I don't carry.

Toetag
08-10-2012, 05:14
"what does it feel like to carry concealed?"

A little tight around the waist when carrying.

Slightly naked without.

Hour13
08-10-2012, 06:58

This ^^^

Took my dog for a walk around the block first, good way to get used to the feel of it without being around a bunch of people. Then did the "WalMart Walk". This is vital! Must be done!
:supergrin:

After a few days it starts to feel normal, within a week or so, you'll feel completely naked without it.

A few of my chick-friends have a house together on the other side of town. We often lay down together watching movies and whatnot, so I generally just toss my gun on the coffee table when I'm there. Got home from a visit at about 2am a while ago, and realized I'd left my gun behind.

So I jump in my car and drive the 45min back across town to get it! I've got no issue with them, I've taken all these girls shooting, trust them completely. But the idea of NOT having my trusty side-kick... no good!

Didn't get much sleep that night, lol, but I slept well.

blackjack
08-10-2012, 07:14
I don't know the OP's age but I expect many on this board have seen this classic Charlie Brown cartoon quote at work (modified here for the CCW): "Carrying a CCW is like peeing your pants in a dark suit - you get a warm feeling but nobody notices."

Gpruitt54
08-10-2012, 08:42
I don't know the OP's age but I expect many on this board have seen this classic Charlie Brown cartoon quote at work (modified here for the CCW): "Carrying a CCW is like peeing your pants in a dark suit - you get a warm feeling but nobody notices."

LoL!

My situation is going to be really interesting. I live in the only state with no CCW allowance (Illinois). However, I live only blocks for the Indiana border; which does have allow CCW. So, it's going to odd making the switch from legal transport to carry. When I am in Indiana, I am there for many hours, so this is not the issue. For me the issue is going to be while I am in Illinois and the transport issues.

PettyOfficer
08-10-2012, 08:47
LoL!

My situation is going to be really interesting. I live in the only state with no CCW allowance (Illinois). However, I live only blocks for the Indiana border; which does have allow CCW. So, it's going to odd making the switch from legal transport to carry. When I am in Indiana, I am there for many hours, so this is not the issue. For me the issue is going to be while I am in Illinois and the transport issues.

Indeed. The laws there are no fun. I was driving from Texas to Michigan and avoided the Illinois route because I brought my pistol to go to the range with family.

Locked, unloaded, in a case in the trunk and I was still paranoid.

I chose to go through more friendly states.

cpham9006
08-10-2012, 08:56
I'm somewhat new to carrying. At first your nervous about printing but its all in your head. My GF doesnt even know when i have my pistol on my waist unless she feels it. Now alot of times, I feel much safer knowing I can defend myself instead of depending on dialing 911 on the iPhone.

Gpruitt54
08-10-2012, 10:53
I'm somewhat new to carrying. At first your nervous about printing but its all in your head. My GF doesnt even know when i have my pistol on my waist unless she feels it. Now alot of times, I feel much safer knowing I can defend myself instead of depending on dialing 911 on the iPhone.

Funny you say that your GF is not always aware that you are wearing your side arm. With my preparation for getting my CCW, I have been wearing my G27 in an inside the waist band holster. I have been doing this for two weeks now, and my wife has not noticed that I am wearing it (at least she has not said anything, yet). I am trying to get use to wearing it at home for starters. Trying to figure out the best location (2, 4, or 6 o'clock), and while setting in the patio on the weekends, and while in the working in the garage. I want to get the feel of wearing the side arm before actually receiving the Utah non-resident CCW permit. I am attending the classes and getting the paperwork in at the end of this month (Aug 2012).

It's a process.

Comedian
08-10-2012, 11:36
It doesn't feel like anything to me.

GlocknSpiehl
08-10-2012, 12:53
I'll answer your questions in stages. I got my 1st CCW in VA about 12 years ago. I freely admit that I started off trying to do everything on the cheap, which did not help. My 3 different choices to carry were a Lorcin .380, a Ruger Speed 6 2.75" .357 and a Argentine FM Hi-Power 9mm. I had a really cheap belt and holster for the 9mm and pocket carried the Lorcin.

When I 1st started carrying regularly I felt everyone was staring at me, just like you feel in High School when you have a big zit in the middle of your face or your fly is unzipped. If they talked after I walked by, I was sure that I was printing and they were going to call the cops! You become really paranoid about being outted. It took maybe a month to realize that "it's not all about me" and no one noticed a darned thing as they were unobservant sheep.

Then I realized that part of the reason I was uncomfortable about being noticed was that my firearms were uncomfortable to carry due to cheap belt and holster combos. Upon advice from this website, I contacted The Beltman and got myself a high quality belt designed for concealed carry. Even though the Lorcin had been reliable, I put it away and started carrying the Ruger, as I was not as confident in the FM. It was about 2 months in to carrying that I noticed I wasn't worried about printing and acted "normal" while out and about, rather than scanning nervously to see if people were watching me.

After about a year, I sold the FM and bought a G19 and a tuckable holster. After some reliability issues with the holster (mainly attachement points poorly designed and easily breakable), I switched to another, much better made holster and have never switched since. The combo of high quality items increases your confidence that everything will stay put and noone will notice your extra baggage.

Now, putting on my G19 when I get dressed feels like a normal part of my day. When I have to go without it I feel naked and incomplete. I find that I become hyperaware of everything around me when I am naked, kind of the inverse of how I was when I 1st started carrying. Overall, carrying made me more aware of my surroundings, gave me an improved confidence in being able to defend myself and my family if threatened, and made me even more desireous of avoiding trouble before it begins.

That is not to say I strut around or think I'm a super hero or cop-wannabe, I just know that I am not one of the sheep and I can protect myself and my family as a last resort.

cpham9006
08-10-2012, 13:14
Funny you say that your GF is not always aware that you are wearing your side arm. With my preparation for getting my CCW, I have been wearing my G27 in an inside the waist band holster. I have been doing this for two weeks now, and my wife has not noticed that I am wearing it (at least she has not said anything, yet). I am trying to get use to wearing it at home for starters. Trying to figure out the best location (2, 4, or 6 o'clock), and while setting in the patio on the weekends, and while in the working in the garage. I want to get the feel of wearing the side arm before actually receiving the Utah non-resident CCW permit. I am attending the classes and getting the paperwork in at the end of this month (Aug 2012).

It's a process.

Ohh yea, "its a process". I'll tell you what makes a huge difference in carrying concealed. You belt! I read on GlockTalk and Xdtalk that "THE BELT MATTERS!". I really didn't believe it until I went and got a 5.11 Tactical Instructors belt.

Carrying comfort changed right away (after the belt's stiffness is loosen).

Everybody said get the Wilderness 5 stitch belt but I wanted to try something different. I picked up the 5.11 belt for 30 bucks.

Gpruitt54
08-10-2012, 15:07
"THE BELT MATTERS!"

[GlocknSpiehl] said the same thing. I know, I know, I sound like a total NOOB, but the belt matters? really?

You guys are all experts relative to me, I dont even have my CCW yet. But I am going to take that one on faith alone. :cool:

GlocknSpiehl
08-10-2012, 18:31
[GlocknSpiehl] said the same thing. I know, I know, I sound like a total NOOB, but the belt matters? really?

You guys are all experts relative to me, I dont even have my CCW yet. But I am going to take that one on faith alone. :cool:

:fred: Yes, a weak, whimpy belt does not support the holster and pistol well. It can twist or sag which can possibly cause the pistol to loosen and/or pop out. It also can just plain tire you out by forcing you to constantly readjust your pants and holster. It also can give you back pain.

A decent, well-made belt, like those from The Beltman (http://thebeltman.net/)(no, I don't work for him, just love his products!), is stiff and gives you extra support. It keeps from sagging and improves the concealment of your firearm.

I threw away every other belt I owned and use only these ones, even when I am forced to not carry.

Hour13
08-10-2012, 19:12

Man, you have no idea, lol. Spend a couple weeks carrying on a WalMart belt, then switch to a real gunbelt. It's like going from a go-kart to a Bentley.

If I had to choose between a crappy $15 holster on a good gunbelt, and my Gould&Goodrich on a crappy belt...

I'd be rocking that POS velcro holster with a smile on my face!

:supergrin:

sappy13
08-10-2012, 19:58
like others have said, your first couple times you feel like everyone is watching and that someone is gona call you out for it. Once you realize that no one knows or cares, you dont even think about it. Regarding the laws, it all varies by state.

HKLovingIT
08-10-2012, 21:10
I know exactly why I am attempting to get a CCW permit. There are threeprimary reasons:

-To be secure in my person, and to protect my wife and family.

-To exercise my 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

-If as a last resort to, product others.

Carrying a weapon is a gigantic responsibility. I already know why I want to do this. I am wondering what others feel when doing this.

Sounds perfectly normal to me.

Please do check out that book I referenced in my original response. It is very good and the man who wrote is the resident subject matter expert on this forum in the Go Ask The Expert Self Defense sub-forum.

HKLovingIT
08-10-2012, 21:12

It matters big. Night and day. It's so critical don't even contemplate skipping getting a good one. You can order a leather one, or you can get something like the Wilderness belt for more casual attire or jeans.

Even if I wasn't carrying, I just like the Wilderness belt for jeans and what not.

oldsoldier
08-11-2012, 12:06
Never entirely comfortable for me but always reassuring.

Darkangel1846
08-12-2012, 13:30

Well if you carry the correct handgun in the correct holster you usually forget your packen. the bigger the handgun the more you notice.:wavey:

cowboy1964
08-12-2012, 14:38
This is a good book for you:

Amazon.com: The Gun Digest Book Of Concealed Carry (9780896896116): Massad Ayoob: Books (http://www.amazon.com/The-Digest-Book-Concealed-Carry/dp/0896896110/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344536195&sr=8-1&keywords=gun+digest+book+of+concealed+carry)

Hold off on that book. There is a new edition coming in November:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1436567

RustyDaleShackleford
08-12-2012, 17:18
It is reassuring, and comforting knowing that I know I'm prepared in case I ever need to defend myself or maybe anybody around me. It's one less thing to worry about, like keeping a fire extinguisher in your kitchen or a spare tire in your car.

str8ball
08-12-2012, 20:24

I think many on here will give you opinions that may not meet your lifestyle. I do not conceal and carry all the time (many on here will not like that) and it's due to my lifestyle.

You can't carry in most malls, schools, etc. This is a problem for me and means I have to store my gun in my vehicle.

I worry more about my gun injuring someone else than I do being attacked. Again, some will say that is crazy, but if you have been on these boards much, you will quickly find out how many have had a negligent discharge.

I have a full size glock and I do not carry one in the chamber for the reason above. I have been around guns my entire life and I am not scared of them. I am also very aware that not everyone is as safe as I am when it comes to carrying a gun. I have had training and I read all the time about the proper way to carry a gun.

I agree that the more you carry the more you will feel comfortable with it. It's just hard to do some things while carrying unless you are going to ignore no gun policies at stores etc. The part I hate is having to remove the gun and store it in my vehicle. That is a pain in the ***.

NEOH212
08-12-2012, 21:23

Yes, It feels like I'm carrying a gun.

After a while, it just becomes second nature and you kind of forget you even have it on. I don't even think about if half the time. I don't worry about printing as it isn't illegal to print in Ohio and I conceal well enough that it's not a issue.

If someone happens to see my gun, oh well. I'm not breaking the law by carrying a gun (since I'm license to carry) so it's no big deal.

All that newbie concern goes away after a while.

USSOCOM
08-12-2012, 23:09
I feel nothing out of the ordinary and CCW all day, every day.

PettyOfficer
08-13-2012, 08:06
Just a temporary suggestion:

While you're waiting for your CHL, get a tactical flashlight with a holster and carry that. If you wear it at 3 or 9 o'clock your waist with have an added 2 inches to create some bulk and you might run into things, you will also notice it getting in or out of the car.

While this won't give the you true feeling of weight or the seriousness of actually carrying a firearm, it will help you verify your wardrobe doesn't enhance printing.

Bluestreakfl
08-13-2012, 08:38
My first time carrying was nerve racking. I thought everyone was watching me. After a few days, I realized just how oblivious most people are, to just about everything around them. A good holster and belt make a world of difference. Depending on the time of year my carry setup varies. In the summer it's either a 5-shot .22 mag NAA mini revolver in the pocket, or an 8-shot .22mag Taurus 2" snubbed in a remora holster. When the weather cools down some, I switch to a Glock 27 or a 3" k-frame 6shot .357 mag, both in a remora holster. Once you get used to carrying, you feel almost violated when you aren't carrying. Always be aware of your local and state laws, be aware of your surroundings, and avoid potentially bad situations. And more importantly, train train train! Practice drawing from concealment. Practice shooting your carry weapon under as many different situations as you can so you can become proficient enough to effectively use it if god forbid you ever have to.

Sent from my phone booth

dkmsmoke_S.P.
08-13-2012, 09:18
It feels like I am now a much more responsible citizen. I'm a more careful driver. More courteous to everyone that I encounter. Very much more discerning about the places that I go to, and stay away from. Because of a new and higher state of awareness I'm also more comfortable about the safety of my loved ones and myself. For me, it is definitely a positive change in my lifestyle.

Always keep your head low, and your spirits high!!

Spats McGee
08-13-2012, 13:40
For the first while, probably a few weeks, I felt very conspicuous, like EVERYONE that walked past me knew that I had a gun. If I sat in a chair that had arms on it, the gun invariably got hung up on one of the arms. After a while, I realized that not one soul had given me any indication that my gun had been noticed, and I got better about maneuvering with the gun.

At this point, I am usually aware that I have it with me, but I really don't worry about being noticed. Heck, just a few weeks ago, even my wife of 17 years asked me if I was carrying before I left the house one day. I figure that if she can't tell that I'm carrying, there's almost no way some stranger on the street is going to. Part of my job is to work as a prosecutor, so I have regular contact with LE. Aside from that, I've had a couple of enounters with the police (officers that I did not know) in which I informed them that: (a) I have my CHCL; and (b) was in fact carrying. In both cases, the police response was basically, "OK. Thanks for letting us know."

On the one hand, carrying makes me more cautious. I think I am also more courteous to others. I am very aware that, if "push ever really comes to shove," and I find myself in the courtroom having to defend my decision to shoot someone, I cannot afford for a jury to believe that there was any escalation of the event on my part. On the other hand, it's also somewhat comforting. At my age and physical condition, I'd be no match for couple of young punks who tried to test their luck. While I do my level best to avoid such situations, I'm glad to know that should such arise, I'm in a better position to defend myself, my wife and child.

Rev.357
08-13-2012, 15:00

Speaking as one who has CC for 15yrs now it's normal. I feel safe & inconrtol as well as having the ability to protect myself & my loved ones! I carry many different ways & have never been made that I know of.

racer88
08-13-2012, 17:00
Not much I can add here... everyone else has said it all.

1. Get the RIGHT equipment, especially the belt. (And then take some time sorting out where it fits and is most comfortable for you.)

2. Nobody knows (unless you tell them or are doing a REALLY poor job of concealment).

3. You WILL get used to it. And, like many of us, you may feel UNcomfortable when you don't have it (much like when your wallet isn't in your pocket or watch on your wrist).

brisk21
08-13-2012, 17:56
Ive almost gotten too comfortable with it. I have to remind myself that Im carrying a deadly weapon.

Chris Brines
08-13-2012, 20:11
Well to a level headed person who is not looking for any kind of trouble, isn't trying to "play cop", and doesn't suffer from the delusion that a CHL gives you the right to brandish a firearm and/or shoot people for anything other than threatening your life, well being, or property (or that of your family), it feels pretty good. To the others, one day it'll be the biggest regret they ever have. It's nice to know that if an armed criminal decides to make a victim out of you, you actually have a choice of doing something besides getting on the floor and begging him not to shoot.

I live in Houston, and there are some neighborhoods I would never go in before I got my CHL, and those neighborhoods....I still won't go in.....

But I'll also say this much, I didn't exactly feel too good about even going for walks and/or bike rides through MY OWN neighborhood, or walking through my apartment complex and the parking garage attached to it, at night. That feeling is gone, I'll take walks, ride my bike, and come home at 3 am, without feeling like I need to be fearful in any way. There's been a shooting or two in my complex, one of them happened a few minutes after I left..in the same spot my truck was parked.

I also am one of those people who has no "set schedule". I have (and always have had) a totally random schedule, and for me to suddenly sit up at 3 am and say, "mmmm....FRENCH TOAST!", and go to my favorite 24 hour diner, is not exactly an uncommon thing. I definitely like having my Glock 26 (aka "my little black bundle of joy"...my wife loves when I say that lol...not really, she hates guns..) to come along for the ride.

Another shooting happened at a gas station I had just left....like 10 minutes after I was there.

When you decide to CCW, you have to literally run through countless scenarios in your head and decide at what point you will make the decision that you will use force, because your life is in danger (especially if you live in one of those RIDICULOUS "duty to retreat" states....like WTF a duty to retreat? I'd say they have a duty not to rob or threaten me..but hey what do I know...), and determine exactly what criteria will prompt you to draw your weapon, and what criteria will prompt you to shoot. I'm not one of those that says "if I draw, I'm shooting"....if someone is threatening me with fists or a weapon besides a gun, I'll do my best to get some distance between us, and before I decide to shoot they'll have been warned several times and will be fully aware that I'm armed. The way I see it is if they proceed they're dangerous, unpredictable, and a threat to my life.

If they pull a gun....they're a threat to my life, end of story.

As for not showing that you're carrying, or "printing", there is a way to adequately conceal nearly any handgun, with the right holster and clothing selection. I had to buy a new belt (not gun belt, just "belt belt") for the gun/holster combo I've been using this summer, and had to buy an actual "gun belt" for the one I plan on using when it cools off (if it ever does), and I start wearing jeans every day.

unit1069
08-13-2012, 21:29

It's a conscious responsibility for me. I come under some heat for CCW without a chambered round but I find that safer for my lifestyle than otherwise and experience has indicated to me that I've made the right choice.

I CCW both AIWB and IWB strong side and I always have a forearm or elbow in close contact with the weapon for security peace of mind. I find that when I CCW I'm much more situationally aware, probably due to the responsibility of carrying a deadly weapon and the attendant legal responsibilities for that.

On the positive side, there are many times I'm traveling into unknown urban/rural areas where packing a pistol provides a great amount of security and comfort. Without being specific I can tell you I've experienced a couple of incidents when having a firearm at the ready gave me far more comfort than dialing 911 knowing the Sheriff's deputies were at least 30 minutes away.

Chris Brines
08-13-2012, 22:01
It's a conscious responsibility for me. I come under some heat for CCW without a chambered round but I find that safer for my lifestyle than otherwise and experience has indicated to me that I've made the right choice.

When "dressing up" (to me that means tucking my shirt in), I use my Belly Band, and carry at the 1 o clock or so position, with my Glock pointed in a not so strategically beneficial direction, and when doing that (which is very rare, actually only once so far), I carry on an empty chamber, but that's the only time. Any other time it's IWB 4 o clock ready to pop. I'd say some situations would be smarter to carry on an empty chamber, but if you can help it, ready to pop is much better. That extra 1/2 second could cost you your life if you get caught in a bad spot. Plus who's to say you're other hand will be free to chamber a round...you never know, you could very well be in a physical struggle at the time you needa defend yourself....just something to think about.

MR57
08-14-2012, 01:09

I carry a XD45 in a Serpa Blawk holster OTW and extra clip on left side. I carry everyday very comfortable. You need strong belt. It's 110 in Vegas. Always wear black or dark T shirt. Then buy large bahama shirt with losts of things on it. It confuses the eye. Oh I leave it unbutton for better access to weapon. I've been in homes with 10 people walking around and so forth and nobody has a clue I''m armed. That's the way you want it. Never tell anybody because someone will always have a problem with it.

B.Reid
08-14-2012, 11:10
It feels like.......Freedom!

matt_lowry123
08-14-2012, 11:28
It feels like you're wearing a gun on you. I've tried all ways to carry and pocket (without a holster) or Mexican carry are my favorite ways.

ashecht
08-14-2012, 12:08
when I first starting carrying, I felt very uneasy, felt like everyone was watching me and knew I had a gun. Also felt like the gun weighed 200 lbs on my belt. Now after over two years, I edc an even heavier gun(G30SF) with an extra mag, and dont even feel it in my Theiss holster. As for printing, I dont go to great lengths to match my wardrobe to my gun. I typically wear shorts/ tank top in the summer, and as long as the shirt is pulled out, I feel I am ok since I now know that most sheep dont know what to look for, and those that do, dont care or are carrying themselves. In the winter its easy, since I am wearing a few layers and/or a sweatshirt. The trick in my mind is to carry whenever it is legal to do so, and to do it EVERY DAY. You will think less and less of it. for me, I feel safe when I have it, and when I cannot carry, I feel extremely vulnerable.

soflasmg
08-14-2012, 12:38
It feels like an uncomfortable hunk of metal strapped to your body.

Get a good (Brommeland, Sparks, etc.) holster and it will be much less uncomfortable as well as retain and conceal the gun in a way than will make you more or less forget about it until you need it.

hapkidoist73
08-16-2012, 21:25
I just completed my CCW class, and now have to determine the best pistol for ME to carry. I have a Glock 21 Gen.2 my Dad left me, but it just seems too big to conceal. Trying to determine if I should sell it and buy something else, or work with what I have? I like shooting the 21, just not certain I can conceal it well. BTW, I have a Blackhawk Serpa holster. Any input would be appreciated as this CCW is all new to me. Thank you.

unit1069
08-17-2012, 11:52
I'd say some situations would be smarter to carry on an empty chamber, but if you can help it, ready to pop is much better. That extra 1/2 second could cost you your life if you get caught in a bad spot. Plus who's to say you're other hand will be free to chamber a round...you never know, you could very well be in a physical struggle at the time you needa defend yourself....just something to think about.

Correct, and although I normally carry without a round in the chamber when I do go into unknown areas/situations I normally have a round chambered. My reason for normal carry is that I'm a pretty routine guy who these days usually sticks close to home.

Chris Brines
08-19-2012, 13:59
Correct, and although I normally carry without a round in the chamber when I do go into unknown areas/situations I normally have a round chambered. My reason for normal carry is that I'm a pretty routine guy who these days usually sticks close to home.

Makes sense. I try to stay home as much as possible too. But where I live in is anything but predictable, so literally ANYTIME I go somewhere, my G26 and 11 Gold Dots go with me.

Chris Brines
08-19-2012, 14:02
I just completed my CCW class, and now have to determine the best pistol for ME to carry. I have a Glock 21 Gen.2 my Dad left me, but it just seems too big to conceal. Trying to determine if I should sell it and buy something else, or work with what I have? I like shooting the 21, just not certain I can conceal it well. BTW, I have a Blackhawk Serpa holster. Any input would be appreciated as this CCW is all new to me. Thank you.

Try a Glock 30, it's the "sub compact" 45 ACP. Awesome gun. It's a little thicker than a G26 (9mm) or a G27 (40SW), so it may not be all the comfy, depending on what your body size/clothing-holster selection is (I know some people who carry G21's with no problem, but I couldn't pull that off). I'd highly recommend the G26.

Gunnut 45/454
08-19-2012, 17:08
Gpruitt54

"But they are officers and carry every day for their jobs."

Just replace "officer" I'm a man/woman and "job" for my family and my personal safety! Personally it was different when I started carrying, but I got used to it very quickly and now it's just another tool I carry everyday.:supergrin:

jdavionic
08-19-2012, 17:38
I found it much easier than carrying a cop on my back for personal protection. :supergrin:

Seriously, I view it as a tool to aid in protection. I'm very comfortable carrying.

Gpruitt54
09-01-2012, 09:16
Just a temporary suggestion:

While you're waiting for your CHL, get a tactical flashlight with a holster and carry that. If you wear it at 3 or 9 o'clock your waist with have an added 2 inches to create some bulk and you might run into things, you will also notice it getting in or out of the car.

While this won't give the you true feeling of weight or the seriousness of actually carrying a firearm, it will help you verify your wardrobe doesn't enhance printing.

Good idea. I took the course last night (Aug 31, 2012). I amnow looking for a holster. I want something that fits inside the paints. I havea Black hawk paddle, but that thing prints too much. Don't want to spend morethan $40.00 for a holster. Leather or Kydex would be great.

PPD812
09-01-2012, 10:04
Can someone tell me honestly, what does it feel like to carry concealed? .

It's uncomfortable and generally a pain in the butt. Then you get used to it and feel naked without it.

klmmicro
09-01-2012, 10:13
Aside from the weight on my side, it feels about the same as any other mode I am in. As for the emotional side, it is comforting to know that I am able to defend myself should the need arise. A firearm is not my only defense, but it seems to be a more evident deterent than a whuppin.

agrech
09-01-2012, 11:31
Get the right holster, and you won't feel anything =)

Seriously though I'll basically repeat the others posts. I've been carrying for 6-7 months now. After a while it DOES start to feel strange NOT carrying. And most of the time I don't even think about it. It's just there, like my glasses.

IndyGunFreak
09-01-2012, 22:40
Good idea. I took the course last night (Aug 31, 2012). I amnow looking for a holster. I want something that fits inside the paints. I havea Black hawk paddle, but that thing prints too much. Don't want to spend morethan $40.00 for a holster. Leather or Kydex would be great.

More than $40.. that's a tough bill.. what type of gun again? Also, don't forget the belt, it's critical.

If I was only going to spend $40.. I'd probably look at a High Noon Mr. Softy,

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/_Mr_Softy/_mr_softy.html

JD_19x9
09-01-2012, 22:55
In a very short period of time after getting a CCW, you will feel strange not being able to carry. You start getting a little ticked off knowing you are legally allowed to carry but there is always restrictions. Most of the restrictions are usually (not always) ridiculous because it only disarms law abiding citizens and allows criminals to have their way.

Every time someones asks me why I carry a gun, I always come back to... "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"

n0leafcl0ver
09-01-2012, 22:57
Just feels normal when I carry, feels damn strange when I'm not.:goodpost:

Gpruitt54
09-02-2012, 00:10
More than $40.. that's a tough bill.. what type of gun again? Also, don't forget the belt, it's critical.

If I was only going to spend $40.. I'd probably look at a High Noon Mr. Softy,

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/_Mr_Softy/_mr_softy.html

I will carry a Glock 27. Looks like a nice holster, the link has this item is no longer available. But thanks, I really like the holster.

IndyGunFreak
09-02-2012, 04:15
I will carry a Glock 27. Looks like a nice holster, the link has this item is no longer available. But thanks, I really like the holster.

Where do you see it's no longer available? I see it being a "Stocking item". I'm almost positive HN still makes that holster.

Gpruitt54
09-02-2012, 08:25
Where do you see it's no longer available? I see it being a "Stocking item". I'm almost positive HN still makes that holster.

My bad. I found the right section of the site to place an order.

SouthernBoyVA
09-02-2012, 09:04
I was the second person in my county in Virginia (at that time) to receive a CHP after our state went shall issue in 1995. The next day was the first time I ever carried concealed with a permit and that was into a bank. Yes, I felt a bit nervous but it was no big deal.

Since July of 2007, I have been open carrying most always when I am out and about. I still do conceal when I deem it to be in my better interests at a given time, but my reasons for open carry are valid for my particular situation (not that I have to have any reason at all here in Virginia). As for printing or accidentally showing, that is not an issue in my state since the "normal" (default/standard) mode of carry here is open.

You get use to it. When it's concealed, it's no different than leaving your home without your firearm. Only trained and observant eyes are likely to know you're carrying a firearm when you conceal it. And if it's a deep conceal, even those folks will have a very hard time knowing you have a firearm on your person.

Cavalry Doc
09-02-2012, 09:25

Doesn't feel any different than putting on a watch to me, 'cept the weight is in a different spot.

9mmmountaineer
09-02-2012, 10:39
It's just like sex. The first couple of times you're nervous and thinking "I can't believe I'm getting to do this!", but after you do it enough times, it becomes natural and second nature. If you suddenly can't anymore, it becomes a big deal as well. :wow:

+1 couldn't be said any better

9mm Mountaineer

TattooedGlock
09-02-2012, 12:08
That's got to be the biggest mall ninja question I've read all year. Please don't apply for a non resident permit if you do not have a permit in your state. Please go through hundreds of hours of hands on classroom and range training before you even consider applying for a permit or carrying a gun on a daily basis. If you're not willing to spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on training, then you should not carry.

And I mean that all in a nice way. :)

ViennaGambit
09-02-2012, 13:07
Its a pain in the ass most of the time.

But, the other type of comfort it provides makes it 100% worth it.

Louisville Glocker
09-02-2012, 13:16
Honestly, it feels normal to me.

Make sure you have a decent gun belt, and a holster that is made for you gun. Also, become familiar with local laws. There are many issues to consider besides printing. You can't go some places (picking up your kids at school? Not with a gun. Etc). And make sure to study your deadly force laws in your state.

I spend about half my time in KY and half in Indiana, but fortunately the laws are very similar.

Walk around your house first. Make sure you feel comfortable. Then try just a quick outing (supermarket, or big box) where people are around. Then you'll be ready to go. Relax. Enjoy.

Louisville Glocker
09-02-2012, 13:23
For holsters, I like http://pjholster.com/ . One of our members here is the owner of the company. Simple, and a great custom product at a good price. Fifty bucks shipped I think. I've gotten IWB and OWB holsters from them.

I wear at around 4 o clock or 430. With a forward cant. I think that is a pretty common position among CCW folks. Whatever feels best to you, and will work the best for your situation. High noon or appendix carry never appealed to me.

steve581581
09-02-2012, 13:39
At first I felt like everyone knew and was watching but felt more secure. After a while it just becomes normal and I feel like I'm missing something if I'm not carrying.

SK2344
09-02-2012, 14:21

It feels like you have a weight attached to a part of your body. It feels like you have a lump in your clothing. It dictates to you, the kind of cloths you wear and you never get used to the fact that it is there. It just is un-natural and it sucks! Having said this, I go everywhere, every day of my life with a gun concealed on my body and at special times, I carry two! Some people like the feeling and some people do not and thats the way it will always be. To carry is a lifelong commitment and you just have to adjust. Love it or leave it home!

pspez
09-02-2012, 23:27
Just feels normal when I carry, feels damn strange when I'm not.:agree:

Also liberating and responsibility.

Clutch Cargo
09-03-2012, 01:39
I've carried for so long, I feel naked without a weapon.

cadillacguns
09-03-2012, 03:28
Sure, feels lke FREEDOM.

RussP
09-03-2012, 07:04
I've carried for so long, I feel naked without a weapon.Amen...

steveksux
09-03-2012, 07:33

Look into the Fist line of kydex in waistband holsters.
http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/k1/Default.htm

K3 is my personal favorite. With a good belt, its secure, light, thin, comfortable.

Randy

steveksux
09-03-2012, 07:36
It's just like sex. The first couple of times you're nervous and thinking "I can't believe I'm getting to do this!", but after you do it enough times, it becomes natural and second nature. If you suddenly can't anymore, it becomes a big deal as well. :wow:Exactly right.

And after a while the novelty wears off and you go out looking for a younger, lighter one to go out with because you're tired of dealing with all that bulk and weight.

Like maybe a small J-frame with 38 specials plus P.

Randy

TexasGlockster
09-03-2012, 07:44
Let me make a few suggestions that really helped me, as I am pretty new at CCW as well.

1) Get a good IWB holster (unless its legal to OC in your state...and maybe even then).
2) Get a good gun belt (you have no idea what a difference it makes until you have one).
3) Carry around the house for a week or two, every second of every day except when your sleeping. It gives you a really good idea of what it feels like as you move. You also get a good idea what motions could lead to you exposing your firearm and how to counteract that. For me, I learned quickly that before I stand up from sitting I discreetly make sure my shirt is covering my weapon.

Long story short, practice and preparation can alleviate much of the fear and nervousness that comes when you are carrying for the first time (and later). As someone mentioned earlier, it's really just training, and the more you train the more confident you will feel about doing it.

Gpruitt54
09-03-2012, 14:28
Let me make a few suggestions that really helped me, as I am pretty new at CCW as well.

1) Get a good IWB holster (unless its legal to OC in your state...and maybe even then).
2) Get a good gun belt (you have no idea what a difference it makes until you have one).
3) Carry around the house for a week or two, every second of every day except when your sleeping. It gives you a really good idea of what it feels like as you move. You also get a good idea what motions could lead to you exposing your firearm and how to counteract that. For me, I learned quickly that before I stand up from sitting I discreetly make sure my shirt is covering my weapon.

Long story short, practice and preparation can alleviate much of the fear and nervousness that comes when you are carrying for the first time (and later). As someone mentioned earlier, it's really just training, and the more you train the more confident you will feel about doing it.

I've started wearing my sidearm in and around my home. Yes, it does show where my current el-cheap-o IWB holster falls short. It also lets me deal with the issue of printing and how the holster feels with paints, short, and workout cloths. I am looking towards buying a new holster.

Anyone know about this holster?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/498694/galco-triton-inside-the-waistband-holster-right-hand-glock-2627-kydex-black

or

http://www.foxxholsters.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2861066

SCmasterblaster
09-03-2012, 14:39
It feel like and old friend is with me, ready to serve immediately. My G17 is my best friend.

LApm9
09-05-2012, 17:30
Alert.

SCmasterblaster
09-15-2012, 15:21
I can think of one good reason to carry concealed. I have to empty my kitchen trash into a big dumpster 60 yards from my front door. Every time that I lift the lid, I expect to have a family of angry racoons come jumping out. So my G17 comes out at every dumpster visit, and it gets concealed after the lid is closed.

IndyGunFreak
09-16-2012, 01:30
I've started wearing my sidearm in and around my home. Yes, it does show where my current el-cheap-o IWB holster falls short. It also lets me deal with the issue of printing and how the holster feels with paints, short, and workout cloths. I am looking towards buying a new holster.

Anyone know about this holster?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/498694/galco-triton-inside-the-waistband-holster-right-hand-glock-2627-kydex-black

or

http://www.foxxholsters.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2861066

Make sure it's not your "el cheapo" belt. I'd rather have an inexpensive holster and a good belt, than vice versa. No matter how nice the holster, if the belt sucks, the holster will suck.

Hamrhed
09-16-2012, 18:42

great description! Finding the pistol that you feel comfy carrying everyday is the key...

Taphius
09-17-2012, 13:50
Feels like I need to lose some weight, or get bigger pants. These 32's are getting tight since I separated from the military.

Bilbo Bagins
09-17-2012, 14:43
At first you will feel a little weird and nervous, but then you get use to it. Just have the license, and know the laws.

The other thing, get ready to spend a lot of money and time on the never ending quest for the perfect carry gun and the perfect holster to carry it in.

RCP
09-22-2012, 01:33
Carrying is part of my normal daily routine and has been for the last 12+ years. I will second almost everything everyone else said with the exception of carrying IWB. I tried that for a year or two but it was just never comfortable to me. I've carried OWB ever since and have found as long as you have a good belt and holster no one will notice. Anyways that's what's worked for me but everyone has to do whatever they're comfortable with, once you figure that out you almost forget you're carrying.

JackMac
09-22-2012, 07:37
It feels good. I've carried concealed and also open carry for 30 years. Was a Deputy Sheriff seems like a lifetime ago now. Carried open when working, concealed off duty and when undercover. Lots of places can conceal you weapon.

bobtheelf
09-22-2012, 23:48
It was really weird the first time. It was slightly less weird the second time, except when I walked past 4-5 cops standing on a street corner. I felt like a neon sign or a strobe light. Of course, they didn't notice and I doubt they would have cared. Now it feels normal, though I still find I have to pay attention to make sure I don't bend or twist funny and expose.