Question for you regarding sights on 1911s [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question for you regarding sights on 1911s

CDR_Glock
08-09-2012, 07:57
What is the standard configuration for 1911 sights on a production or custom/semi custom? Is it POA/POI or 6:00?

I was just curious. It might be the shooter, then.http://img.tapatalk.com/18fe9fbd-c17b-bd74.jpg. I was consistently hitting POA/POI rather than 6:00 on my pistol. Again, I will shoot this afternoon. Maybe, it's just about getting used to the sights which are different from my others.

Snaps
08-09-2012, 11:47
all my 1911s are center hold.

perhaps you've shot glocks too much so you naturally shoot those high? :D

CDR_Glock
08-09-2012, 17:07
all my 1911s are center hold.

perhaps you've shot glocks too much so you naturally shoot those high? :D

Well, my Ed Brown, Mars T.H.U.G., Detonics Combat Master, and even the Coonan 357 Magnum 1911 all shoot at a 6:00 hold.

The pistol I was referring to is my Guncrafter No Name:

I'm very consistent with it up close and out to 25 yards. It does appear to hit POA/POI as opposed to the 6:00 position. The sights are Trijicon with a thin blade in front, and a fixed rear sight with a single tritium dot in back. I literally have to cover the target with my front sight to hit the bulls eye. Because the front sight is narrower I can still see the target, though. Anyways, it's consistently POA/POI, and I'm not wrist breaking or pushing forward. In fact, I took the T.H.U.G. and Ed Brown alternating with the Guncrafter. The other two 1911s were 6:00 whereas the Guncrafter was like I described. Anyways, I just emailed the person who ordered it from them so see if that is how he intended it to shoot. I have no problem buying a new sight to get a 6:00 hold.

I just returned from the range today shooting 50 rounds, same effect, as yesterday. Maybe I'll shoot tomorrow, too, after I hear back from the one who sold it to me. As for groups, it's tight. Reliability is too soon to assess but so far, no misfeeds. Runs like a Glock in terms of shooting. I don't know how many rounds ran through it, but I can say from the looks inside, nothing more than 200 rounds.

Snaps
08-09-2012, 22:51
dunno man, I've got Colt, Kimber, Sig, Auto Ord, Rock Island, all are center.

You could always get a new F sight if it bugs you. If I had any gun that shot 6 O'clock I'd get buy a new sight.

countrygun
08-09-2012, 23:00
Up tp the manufacturer but I prefer for the POI to be right on top of the sights at 25 yds with a 1911. It is kind of a "constant" i have learned to work around without any mental gymnastics.

CDR_Glock
08-10-2012, 00:46
Up tp the manufacturer but I prefer for the POI to be right on top of the sights at 25 yds with a 1911. It is kind of a "constant" i have learned to work around without any mental gymnastics.

That's how the rest of my pistols point.

The guy I bought it from just told me, he had the same experience. I realized it when I was aiming for the ShootNSee and it was low, from the 25 yard mark. I was like, "What?". I adjusted accordingly, and realized how it was sighting. I brought it in to 7 yards, and this confirmed my suspicion. It IS faster getting onto target knowing how it operates, now.

Don't get me wrong. I love this gun. Great size for concealment, looks awesome and is on its way to be flawless.

Snaps
08-10-2012, 01:02
That's how the rest of my pistols point.

The guy I bought it from just told me, he had the same experience. I realized it when I was aiming for the ShootNSee and it was low, from the 25 yard mark. I was like, "What?". I adjusted accordingly, and realized how it was sighting. I brought it in to 7 yards, and this confirmed my suspicion. It IS faster getting onto target knowing how it operates, now.

Don't get me wrong. I love this gun. Great size for concealment, looks awesome and is on its way to be flawless.
what he just said is POI, not 6oclock

Snaps
08-10-2012, 01:05
unless I'm reading what your'e saying wrong.

http://i48.tinypic.com/14aenet.jpg
6:00 on the left, Center hold in the center

CDR_Glock
08-10-2012, 07:51
unless I'm reading what your'e saying wrong.

http://i48.tinypic.com/14aenet.jpg
6:00 on the left, Center hold in the center

Thanks for that illustration. You are correct, Sir.

My pistols are set up for illustration 2 and the newest is configured like illustration 3.

Snaps
08-10-2012, 14:44
Ok so I completely misunderstood what you were saying.

My bad, pictures work so much better