So possibly not from apes then? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So possibly not from apes then?

Roering
08-09-2012, 18:01
Interesting article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19184370

hogfish
08-09-2012, 18:14
Interesting article.

You got it. :supergrin:

NMG26
08-09-2012, 18:44
Maybe not. [;)]

hogfish
08-09-2012, 19:05
I've seen a few direct descendants of this rudolfensis human. I always heard the red noses were caused by alcohol, but I was never convinced of that. No, sir.

:supergrin:

Animal Mother
08-09-2012, 19:45
What in this article states or even implies that modern H. Sapiens didn't evolve from earlier primates?

muscogee
08-09-2012, 20:00
So there was not one Adam and Eve but several Adams and Eves who eventually interbred to form homo sapiens. That means there was no Garden of Eden.

Roering
08-10-2012, 09:55
What in this article states or even implies that modern H. Sapiens didn't evolve from earlier primates?

From the article....

"The research adds to a growing body of evidence that runs counter to the popular perception that there was a linear evolution from early primates to modern humans."

Geko45
08-10-2012, 10:33
From the article....

"The research adds to a growing body of evidence that runs counter to the popular perception that there was a linear evolution from early primates to modern humans."

That only suggests that it was non-linear, not that we didn't evolve from primates.

Animal Mother
08-10-2012, 12:55
From the article....

"The research adds to a growing body of evidence that runs counter to the popular perception that there was a linear evolution from early primates to modern humans." Popular perception and scientific reality are frequently two different things.

Roering
08-10-2012, 14:52
Popular perception and scientific reality are frequently two different things.

Agreed

GreenDrake
08-10-2012, 15:18
Fairly simple explanation of evolutionary genome sequencing.
Genome sequencing leaves Creationists unable to respond - YouTube

Geko45
08-10-2012, 15:32
Fairly simple explanation of evolutionary genome sequencing.

Did you just post positive scientific proof of how we evolved from primates as presented by a Roman Catholic theist as inarguable and conclusive!?!?

I award you 100 interwebs!

Norske
08-10-2012, 16:32
So there was not one Adam and Eve but several Adams and Eves who eventually interbred to form homo sapiens. That means there was no Garden of Eden.

The human race almost died out about 75,000 years ago, when a near-extinction level event, probably the eruption of an Indonsian super volcano, killed off much of the then-Africa bound human race down to just 5,000 or so females of breeding age.

Every human being alive today is descended from at least one, probably many more than one, of those females.

Go back farther and those 5,000 females themselves probably had one female ancestor that all of their family trees could be traced back through. "Eve".

That is also, by the way, approximately when mankind invented clothing, and I suspect the two are related. It got really, really cold during a prolonged "Volcanic Winter" in Africa.

I think that "Eden" was a time about 15 - 25,000 years ago, when the glaciation of the last ice age was at peak and sea levels were about 450 feet lower than today.

That would have made what was now the Persian Gulf a lush marshland, teeming with game. The Euphrates River would have been a River all the way to what is now the Strait of Hormuz of "threatened-oil-shipment-chokepoint" fame.

To the hunter-gatherers of the time, which described the entire human race at that time, this would have been "Eden" to hunter-gatherers.

I think that being "cast out of Eden" is the story of the glaciers melting, the seas rising, and the oceans inundating the valley of the Euphrates, and drowning "Eden".

:wavey:

Cavalry Doc
08-10-2012, 18:49

The victors write history......

Woofie
08-10-2012, 21:40
From the article....

Whoever wrote the article doesn't understand the theory very well. I was taught in physical anthropology class almost a decade ago (and it was old news then) about the richness and diversity of the evolutionary tree. The author is describing the popular picture progression from monkey to man and assuming it accurately depicts our evolutionary history. It doesn't.

Woofie
08-10-2012, 21:57
The human race almost died out about 75,000 years ago, when a near-extinction level event, probably the eruption of an Indonsian super volcano, killed off much of the then-Africa bound human race down to just 5,000 or so females of breeding age.

Every human being alive today is descended from at least one, probably many more than one, of those females.

Go back farther and those 5,000 females themselves probably had one female ancestor that all of their family trees could be traced back through. "Eve".

That is also, by the way, approximately when mankind invented clothing, and I suspect the two are related. It got really, really cold during a prolonged "Volcanic Winter" in Africa.

I think that "Eden" was a time about 15 - 25,000 years ago, when the glaciation of the last ice age was at peak and sea levels were about 450 feet lower than today.

That would have made what was now the Persian Gulf a lush marshland, teeming with game. The Euphrates River would have been a River all the way to what is now the Strait of Hormuz of "threatened-oil-shipment-chokepoint" fame.

To the hunter-gatherers of the time, which described the entire human race at that time, this would have been "Eden" to hunter-gatherers.

I think that being "cast out of Eden" is the story of the glaciers melting, the seas rising, and the oceans inundating the valley of the Euphrates, and drowning "Eden".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eridu

Hypothesized to be the Garden of Eden.

High-Gear
08-11-2012, 08:59
I posted a video in another thread which shows we are a hybrid species, having absorbed Neanderthal and other protohumans.

muscogee
08-11-2012, 09:16

So what happened to the flaming swords?

steveksux
08-12-2012, 09:36
So what happened to the flaming swords?The metabolic costs of growing flaming swords turned out to be too high, the advantage was not enough to offset the added energy needs and extra food required to sustain them, so that was an evolutionary dead end... Evolution selected that for extinction.

:whistling:

Randy

muscogee
08-12-2012, 09:56
The metabolic costs of growing flaming swords turned out to be too high, the advantage was not enough to offset the added energy needs and extra food required to sustain them, so that was an evolutionary dead end... Evolution selected that for extinction.

:whistling:

Randy

So it wasn't cuts in the defense budget triggered by an out of control deficit?

Woofie
08-12-2012, 11:09
So it wasn't cuts in the defense budget triggered by an out of control deficit?

The deficit is much like God and isn't restricted by natural law.

Geko45
08-13-2012, 09:30
The deficit is much like God and isn't restricted by natural law.

An actual real world example of transcedence! I concede that my inductive proof is flawed!

Woofie
08-13-2012, 12:08
An actual real world example of transcedence! I concede that my inductive proof is flawed!

:highfive: See you at Atheist Church Thursday afternoon!

Geko45
08-13-2012, 12:54
:highfive: See you at Atheist Church Thursday afternoon!

Is it my turn to bring the meatballs or the pasta?

Bren
08-13-2012, 13:05
Interesting article.

So possibly not from apes then?

I'm not sure whether to point out that evolution does not hold that we came "from apes" (instead, it says we and the apes came from a common ancestor) or to point out that the discovery mentioned in this article means nothing at all like that.:dunno:

Maybe you could just say, "I ain't never seen no monkey turn into a man.":upeyes:

From the article....

And after reading that, you think it calls into question whether there was evolution from early primates to modern humans, rather than whether that evolution was "linear"? Do we blame your science teacher, or your English teacher?

GreenDrake
08-13-2012, 14:35
This should help. http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/

Geko45
08-13-2012, 14:53
This should help.

It should, but it won't.

:sigh: