Afghanistan; Obama's War- how's it going? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan; Obama's War- how's it going?

Skyhook
08-10-2012, 15:21
Obama, before election in '08, loudly made the point our real war in the 'stan countries was in Afghanistan.. not the others. Well, how has his war gone?

http://www.sofmag.com/man-afghan-uniform-kills-3-us-soldiers

"It was the third time this week that international forces have been fired on by their apparent Afghan counterparts. NATO troops killed an Afghan solider Thursday who tried to gun down coalition service members at a military base in eastern Afghanistan.
And on Tuesday, NATO says two gunmen wearing Afghan National Army uniforms killed a coalition soldier in the east.

More than 33 coalition service members have been killed this year in so-called "green-on-blue" attacks. "Green on blue" is a reference to the color of Afghan and NATO uniforms. "

Imagine your son, daughter, husband, wife being a "green-on-blue' causality!

Drilled
08-10-2012, 18:44
The Russians who are brutal in war, could not beat the people there...what makes this president of the divided states of america thinks he can do anything?

I deliberately did not capitalize because this man has reduced us to less than important in the world since he took office.

Cavalry Doc
08-10-2012, 18:59
The Russians who are brutal in war, could not beat the people there...what makes this president of the divided states of america thinks he can do anything?

I deliberately did not capitalize because this man has reduced us to less than important in the world since he took office.

The russians are *******. I've worked with them.

I think the special ops small footprint plan bush had was much better than the large footprint plan Barry ordered.

"The Surge" was a good idea in Iraq. It seemed to be a bad idea in Afghanistan.

I would defer to anyone that's been to Afghanistan, as I missed a visit to that particular armpit.

nmstew
08-10-2012, 19:09
How's it going?

Didn't you see all the press about it?

I'll summarize what the news said:

Barack Obama heard about a possible location of Osama bin Laden so he called up Seal Team 6. Before they raided the compound, Obama ordered the point man to stand down and disrobe. He put on his camis, armor and gear then looked at the other seals and ordered them to stand fast. He then kicked in ObL's door and single-handedly won us the war.

It was all over the news for months, how could you have missed it?

Ok back to the post:

my opinion is worthless but when I see stories like this I think they know it is over and they just want to take as many of our soldiers as they can while they can. I don't think we have the economic clout the get rid of EVERY jihadist so it sounds like continuing surveillance will be necessary with a draw down of full military presence.

Skyhook
08-11-2012, 05:55
How's it going?

Didn't you see all the press about it?

I'll summarize what the news said:

Barack Obama heard about a possible location of Osama bin Laden so he called up Seal Team 6. Before they raided the compound, Obama ordered the point man to stand down and disrobe. He put on his camis, armor and gear then looked at the other seals and ordered them to stand fast. He then kicked in ObL's door and single-handedly won us the war.

It was all over the news for months, how could you have missed it?

Ok back to the post:

my opinion is worthless but when I see stories like this I think they know it is over and they just want to take as many of our soldiers as they can while they can. I don't think we have the economic clout the get rid of EVERY jihadist so it sounds like continuing surveillance will be necessary with a draw down of full military presence.

Was that Obummer doing Superman In Afghanistan?

Some time back I challenged an associate to present for review just one thing- just ONE- which Obummer accomplished which made this country stronger economically or militarily.

:popcorn: <crickets>:yawn:

Reheater
08-11-2012, 07:56

I think the special ops small footprint plan bush had was much better than the large footprint plan Barry ordered.

I would defer to anyone that's been to Afghanistan, as I missed a visit to that particular armpit.

The Surge was useful in a lot of particular hot spot areas. The reason was because it got enough US Soldiers in place that they could drag the ANA and ANP out of their little compounds and conduct presence and clearing patrols.

That allowed for enough regular security that the brick factories and other infrastructural industries could get running which makes money for the local warlords who keep the Taliban out of their area. The areas around Kandahar and Helmand are key evidence to that plan. Two-Three years ago these were the deadliest areas in Afghanistan.

The question now will be will the ANA and ANP continue after we go from Battalion sized elements to Company sized elements for the same area in October.

cowboy1964
08-11-2012, 15:22
These kinds of attacks have been going on for a long time. To blame Obama is a bit.... stupid. Unless you want to blame Bush and Cheney too.

GAFinch
08-11-2012, 16:33
Just like in the civilian world, gun free zones don't stop crazy people from doing crazy things.

Foxtrotx1
08-11-2012, 16:39
You mean Bush's war? He did send us there.

Drilled
08-11-2012, 17:09
These kinds of attacks have been going on for a long time. To blame Obama is a bit.... stupid. Unless you want to blame Bush and Cheney too.

You just have an opinion like everyone else which is really nothing (including myself). This President has the power to end our involvement over there. That is a fact, Bush was an idiot doing what he was told (no excuse). BHO is no different, other than his supreme arrogance.

We are losing precious American lives there where many others have tread. Bring your level up to par and be reality oriented.
Calling others stupid is a line out of Forrest Gump. Have you lost anyone over there? I have and it is a useless war with no eventual outcome.

Just because a preceding POTUS made a really bad call does not excuse this do nothing POTUS to continue on in the same manner. Let me guess which ticket you vote.

Drilled
08-11-2012, 17:13

Thank your lucky stars and thank you for your service! BTW, where did you have the experience of working with the Russians?

hogfish
08-11-2012, 18:59

What would have been the arguement for not sending us there?

:dunno:

Louisville Glocker
08-11-2012, 19:16
I don't know if it is right to call it Obama's war, but I guess it is in his hands at this moment in time.

Whatever you want to call it, we succeeded in taking out Bin Laden, so I'd say Mission Accomplished, time to come home. Nation building is a long and slow process, especially with the conditions - geographical, political, and social that we have over there. Add in the corruption in the regime that we're supporting, and additionally the history of the nation, and it really looks like a waste of time, money and most importantly, lives. Call it a day. Leave a skeleton crew with some Special Ops to keep an eye on the green shirts. Well, that's my two cents.

coastal4974
08-11-2012, 19:28
With over 2000 killed in Afghanistan (Obama's war of choice), a milestone that was somehow missed by the MSM, we need to get the hell out before we lose more Americans for nothing.

Foxtrotx1
08-12-2012, 04:37
What would have been the arguement for not sending us there?

:dunno:

We could have gone there and done the job before BHO was elected.

We shifted resources from Afganistan (special forces) in order to do Iraqi Freedom.

hogfish
08-12-2012, 06:28
We could have gone there and done the job before BHO was elected.

We shifted resources from Afganistan (special forces) in order to do Iraqi Freedom.

True, unfortunately. We'll be suffering the consecuences for long.

Skyhook
08-12-2012, 07:04
True, unfortunately. We'll be suffering the consecuences for long.

Reality Check: 10 More Years and 100 Billion Dollars An "End" To Afghanistan War - YouTube

(Ten years more plus how many hundreds of $BILLIONS?)

Skyhook
08-12-2012, 07:07
With over 2000 killed in Afghanistan (Obama's war of choice), a milestone that was somehow missed by the MSM, we need to get the hell out before we lose more Americans for nothing.

Yes, this was Obama's "war of choice" he and his supporters harangued us for months about 'Afghanistan being the correct war- Iraq being the wrong war', remember?

Escaping Obama's Better War (Malou Innocent) - YouTube

FFR Spyder GT
08-12-2012, 07:51

+1. Bush, Cheney and Haliburton invaded A'stan in 2002. Obama didn't take office until 2009

coastal4974
08-20-2012, 14:10
July has been the deadliest month of 2012 for U.S. troops, with 40 killed as a result of war-related violence.

On average, one U.S. soldier has been killed for nothing every day this year.

What ever happened to all the outrage from the left? :dunno:

Bren
08-20-2012, 14:31
More than 33 coalition service members have been killed this year in so-called "green-on-blue" attacks. "Green on blue" is a reference to the color of Afghan and NATO uniforms. "

Actually, I think "Green on Blue" is a reference to the color of Afghan uniforms and the fact the "Blue" is a common term for friendly forces - like accidental friendly fire would be called "blue on blue" even if the Navy isn't involved.

I wonder if our under-aggressive policies (ROE, Afghan control, etc.) aren't allowing for the current increase in the "Green on Blue" shootings. The more control the Afghans get, the more Taliban will be in their army and the less aggressive we are, the more they will take the opportunity to attack.