.22 practice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .22 practice

S.Kargoh
08-10-2012, 17:45
Will practicing with a .22 lr pistol (buckmark) help or hurt for gssf comps?

todd river
08-10-2012, 17:55
Will practicing with a .22 lr pistol (buckmark) help or hurt for gssf comps?

I went through a practice match last week & it was very
humbling. Now I have 2 ruger mark111's which are very
similar to the buckmark. I can honestly tell you that it
did not help me in any way. On the otherhand, if I was
able to shoot the 22 I would have nailed everything.

yobohadi
08-10-2012, 18:41
I have thought about buying an AA 22lr upper for my Glock, that way you get all the feel of the Glock minus the recoil. Of course recoil is a big part of the equation even when training.

My other thought was to buy a Glocklike Airsoft gun to practice with, then I could shoot it in the garage or even outside, the blowback designs would be close to the felt recoil of a .22 I would think.

DannyR
08-10-2012, 19:23
I feel it is best to practice with the caliber that you shoot. If you reload, develop soft, accurate loads, like a 147-gr 9mm at 880fps.

I tried an AA kit on my G19 and did not like the feel of the trigger and did not like the lightweight slide. It looked like a Glock but did not feel like a Glock.

A Buckmark or Ruger could be used as a confidence builder at 25 yards, but you only have 6 shots at that distance outdoors.

ede
08-10-2012, 19:28
I've used a pair of MkIIIs for several years. Not sure if it helped or hurt, guess it depends on how you define it. I never won every match I entered but I did beat Mike on a plate rack once.

Justin1911
08-10-2012, 20:47
I practice with a 22 AA upper on a dedicated glock frame, it's good for single shots on target, transitions between targets and trigger time in general. Have the same sights on it and trigger feels similar. I try not to shoot too fast with it but keep about the same pace as with my 9mm (it's easy to shoot the 22 much quicker). As the match gets closer I shoot the 22 much less and do more centerfire practice.

misunderestimated
08-11-2012, 09:09
I would say any practice as long as its good practice helps. standing at a ready position bringing the gun up,acquiring sights and target good practice even if you dont fire,

So if your firing a gun also your doing good.

johnjasonchun
08-11-2012, 12:31
Shot over 16500 rounds of 22LR in my AA G23/G27.
Saved about $4,125 in CASH vs. .40sw new ammo.
Now, that's Practice (25-100 yards).... per year...

todd river
08-11-2012, 13:09
at this point if I can find an advantage arms conversion
kit & it is selling for suggested retail or below I am grabbing
it. Who knows when that will be. :upeyes:

Dave.1
08-11-2012, 16:33
I used to be of the "shoot what you carry" school like DannyR but out of boredom in January of '11 I bought two AA kits. Figured if I didn't like them I could sell them easily.

I have to say that I always run 50 rounds of .22 thru each Glock before I start my actual practice/training and believe it has helped me very much.

When I first got them I didn't take them seriously and didn't benefit from them. Gradually I started gripping them and aiming just as if I were shooting 9mm +P and that's when I started to notice improvement in time and center hits.

May not work for some but I became a believer in training with the AA on a Glock frame.

Dave

BamaTrooper
08-11-2012, 17:20
I went through a practice match last week & it was very
humbling. Now I have 2 ruger mark111's which are very
similar to the buckmark. I can honestly tell you that it
did not help me in any way. On the otherhand, if I was
able to shoot the 22 I would have nailed everything.

Todd, PM me Monday.

We can let you try my 22 frame with an AA kit.

ron59
08-11-2012, 19:41
I have a AA .22 upper kit that I've been practicing with. I think it's great practice.
Dry fire is good but this lets you actually shoot shots and be able to analyze/verify your hits. The ONLY thing you need match ammo for is practicing double-taps (recoil control). Working on:
1. Low ready to first shot
2. Transitions
is fine with this gun.

Yes, as Danny mentioned the trigger pull is a little heavier and the slide is lighter. I've found that isn't a big issue for me. What I like is that it's still the same Glock "platform". I have my same Glock grip and sights (well, I run Sevigny Competitions), but the gun is setup identically to my competition gun, it's not a Ruger or something that is totally different.

.22 ammo is SO much cheaper even than reloading... I was shooting 250 rounds of 9mm per session, now I'm shooting 150 of .22 and 100 of 9mm. I'm saving even MORE money and still improving.

ede
08-12-2012, 06:28

Take a look at Tactical Solutions before you drop any jack on the AA kit. Maybe we could get together sometime and I'd let you take mine for a test drive. You could even bring Bama along.

misunderestimated
08-12-2012, 11:01

I was just at a gun show and this fellow had a kit in stock and 2 more arriving soon

http://www.holsterwear.com/servlet/the-22-Conversion-Kits/Categories

I was able to pick up another magazine from him

I have a kit for my daughter and its been perfect

GlockerJeff
08-12-2012, 12:36
I spent one summer practicing with air soft and with 22 for the most part. I set up a course in my yard and practiced air soft every night until I wore the gun out at about 10,000 rounds. My scores were better that year. Many Bragg told me that he wore out several air soft pistols on his way up. The thing for me was the trigger pull and feel. The air soft had a similar reset but was very light. The 22 had a very heavy trigger.

johnjasonchun
08-12-2012, 13:19
Shot over 165000 rounds of 22LR in my AA G23/G27.
Saved about $4,125 in CASH vs. .40sw new ammo.
Now, that's Practice (25-100 yards).... per year...

$4125/year saved on an investment of $275 (AA kit)
gives me a 1500% return per year.

Only Drug Manufacturers with "10 yr patents" and DVD fraudsters have a bigger MATH return on their investments.....

But.... the fun factor when shooting 525 to 550 rounds for 3c a shot (brick of 22LR) is really the FUN INVESTMENT!!!

GoGlock
08-16-2012, 21:21
Take a look at Tactical Solutions before you drop any jack on the AA kit. Maybe we could get together sometime and I'd let you take mine for a test drive. You could even bring Bama along.

I'm interested to know what you like about the TS compared to the AA conversion. All I've ever see was the AA kit until now - thanks.

Just_plinking
08-16-2012, 22:02
Great thread! I've been pondering this myself. My next firearms expenditure will be a 22 pistol, or a reloading set up. I just want to get out and shoot more. The vast majority of my shooting has been done with a .22 rifle. What little I've done with my g19 hasn't been very satisfying.

I'm far from an expert, but I can shoot rifles well enough that I enjoy it, especially .22's

When I've shot my pistol, I don't shoot well enough, and I know I need a lot more practice.

I've been kicking around the idea of reloading, but from what i've seen you don't save much on 9mm.

I think getting a .22 pistol is the only way i'll get around to getting much handgun practice. We'll see if it helps me with the g19 (i've got me eye on a sr22).

BamaTrooper
08-16-2012, 22:41

I'm headed to the SO range this weekend if you two want to come out.

SARDG
08-16-2012, 23:12
...I've been kicking around the idea of reloading, but from what i've seen you don't save much on 9mm.

I think getting a .22 pistol is the only way i'll get around to getting much handgun practice. We'll see if it helps me with the g19...
You can save quite a bit when reloading 9 mil - if you don't count your time. :) If you shop your load components, you may save 1/2. If you buy premium components you won't save as much. Regardless, what you'll likely do if you reload, is simply shoot more - which is a good thing.

Check out the Reloading Forum here on GT if you haven't already.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

SARDG
08-16-2012, 23:14
I'm headed to the SO range this weekend if you two want to come out.
I'd love to join ya'll - but the commute's a killer!

Take some pics, will ya'?

mike g35
08-17-2012, 04:01
Just a heads up for everyone, Glockworx (ZEV) has a 22 conversion available now also. I love my AA kit, with the recommended ammo I've had very few malfunctions, but it's a conversion so it does happen occasionally. I have a minus connector and a dedicated reciever that I've done some trigger polishing on also. The gun feels NEARLY like my G17/34. Not saying its for everyone, just wanted to add my two cents and drop a little info.

ede
08-17-2012, 07:32
I'm interested to know what you like about the TS compared to the AA conversion. All I've ever see was the AA kit until now - thanks.

The TacSol has been 100% reliable not so the AA and TacSol comes with 15 round mags.

ede
08-17-2012, 07:33
I'd love to join ya'll - but the commute's a killer!

Take some pics, will ya'?

I drove 16 hours to shoot marietta and about the same to shoot St.Paul and Orlando. Getting to see me and bama at the same time is something you couldn't put a price on.

SARDG
08-17-2012, 07:45
I drove 16 hours to shoot marietta and about the same to shoot St.Paul and Orlando. Getting to see me and bama at the same time is something you couldn't put a price on.
Point well taken Ed...

Let me think about it and get back to you on Monday with my decision... :supergrin:

todd river
08-21-2012, 17:53
Until I purchased my g34 & g17 I was searching
for an aa conversion kit for my g19. As luck would have
it, the 17 & 34 (gen 3)became available through CMC govt supply.

I noticed other distributors were starting to show these
being in stock. Apparently there starting to catch up a
bit.