Sunglasses.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses..

Fwdftw
08-10-2012, 18:55
I work outside all day (cable technician ) and also shoot outside all the time ...I think its time I treat myself to a nice pair of shades...what Ye say o glocktalk ? I don't wanna spend more than 125.....in the past I've had oakley eye jackets I think they're called ? Back in the early 2000s ..I have a large head as well so take that into consideration ( wear a 7 3/4 fitted hat ) just looking for some opinions! Thanks ladies n gents!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

INJoker
08-10-2012, 18:58
Personally, I love my Oakley Whiskers... spend the extra $25 and you'll find yourself forgetting you have them on.

Jay9928
08-10-2012, 18:59
I love my Oakley Radar Range polorized shades.

Gun Shark
08-10-2012, 19:10
I have Ray Bans and they are insanely comfortable and work extremely well in the Florida sun during the summer, they even work well in the rain(I think all of them are polorized and I know mine are)

I can't really help you with the sizing issue, but every sunglass hut I have been to has had them so you could try them on(and others) and find the best price, for the pair you like, online.

These are what they look like on the site.
http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglasses/rb8303/014-83

And this is google shopping for a cheaper price.

https://www.google.com/search?q=yahoo&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GZAG_enUS461#hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GZAG_enUS461&tbm=shop&sclient=psy-ab&q=+RB8303+014%2F83+Tech&oq=+RB8303+014%2F83+Tech&gs_l=serp.3...3680.3680.1.3999.1.1.0.0.0.0.67.67.1.1.0.efrsh..0.0...1.aQQ8K2Xt338&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=f676ab9f646dfbef&biw=1600&bih=705

GreenDrake
08-10-2012, 19:17
I got a pair of Oakley Pit Bulls polarized in my prescription, love em.

http://www.oakley.com/images/catalog/generated/750x350/1c/4db86119e888b.jpg

RonS
08-10-2012, 19:46
Rayban aviators.

I hope money is never again so tight that I can't keep a pair in my current prescription. I have mine in beer bottle brown with polarization, they make driving so much more comfortable that it isn't funny.

INJoker
08-10-2012, 19:49
Rayban aviators.

I hope money is never again so tight that I can't keep a pair in my current prescription. I have mine in beer bottle brown with polarization, they make driving so much more comfortable that it isn't funny.

I agree.

Mine aren't prescription, but you can just "see better."

For the record, I've never owned more than $12 sunglasses in my life - but I ended up with a pair of Oakleys and a pair of Ray Bans a couple of years back and now I understand the hype.

simotek
08-10-2012, 19:51
+1 on the Aviators. Can't go wrong with a nice pair of Ray Bans. I alternate between the Avis and Wayfarers.

glock_19guy1983
08-10-2012, 19:54
Personally, I love my Oakley Whiskers... spend the extra $25 and you'll find yourself forgetting you have them on.

I love my square whiskers. they are so light and comfortable to wear.

bmoore
08-10-2012, 19:57
Chrome hearts.

BonnieB
08-10-2012, 20:03
There used to be a brand called "Serengeti Drivers" that were brilliant and impossible to mess up.

I'm with the others, you gotta go try one a bunch of different brands and styles to see what fits your particular face well and that are the most comfortable. If you don't like how they feel, the best lenses in the world won't help you.

Definitely get polarized. Almost all good shades are, now, but check for UVA and UVB both.

There are also lens color options you can figure out. I prefer the brown lenses over the grey or black, it just helps me to see better. But all eyes are different, you have to look thru them.

For me, the priorities would be fit, quality of lenses, price.

TxYankee
08-10-2012, 20:29
+1 on the Serengetti Drivers. I drive for a living in TX and I can't say enough about them. You can still find them on Amazon and EBay for around your price.

bigchuck83
08-10-2012, 20:29
i really like my Oakley M frames nearly everyday. i have a pair of half jackets i hardly ever wear.

Fwdftw
08-10-2012, 21:07
Man ray bans are great but at work I prefer a wrap around type of glasses

youngdocglock
08-10-2012, 21:16
Get these! i bought a pair for $8......they are ANSI Z78.1 compliant, 99% UV protective and look pretty good too. CHEAP AS HELL! and wont break, i can fold mine in half and they just spring right back :-) Best sunglasses i've ever bought, and i own oakleys and raybans too!

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/19806.html

camelotkid
08-10-2012, 22:35
Costa del Mar, go to their website and pick the ones you like, go on ebay and save a ton off msrp

JEEPX
08-11-2012, 04:36
I work outside also ( Telephone Cable/Fiber Tech).

Bright sunlight causes me to have severe headaches.
In the past I have tried Oakley, Ray Ban, Revo, Costa Del Mar and Kaenon.

I did not like any of them for various reasons. Plus in bright sunlight, I still got headaches.

The best I have found is Maui Jim.
No more headaches and the optical clarity is better than anything I have tried. I wear Banyans at work, and Kahuna's when going out. Could not be happier.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Mntneer357
08-11-2012, 05:44
When I was 16, I got my first pair of contact lenses. My Eye Dr. at that time gave me some advice. "Invest in GOOD sunglasses." I took that to heart and never looked back. I've never once had any problems (on water, snow, or anything in between) and have most definitely learned that polarized lenses are the way to go.

My current Eye Dr. told me he personally only recommends two brands, based exclusively on the quality of their lenses. Costa del Mar and Oakley. His practice *does* sell tons of other brands for the more "fashion" crowd. But for his patients who are more "function" oriented, he stands by his two recommendations.

Choose one of those two and you can hardly go wrong.

Slainte!
Mntneer357

Bren
08-11-2012, 05:48
For effectiveness, the only glasses I like are Wiley X Romer II's.

kahoys
08-11-2012, 06:22
Contact lenses and cheap sunglasses!

stopatrain
08-11-2012, 06:34
My favorites today are Maui Jim and Ray Ban.

okie
08-11-2012, 08:05
Before I got prescription glasses I had, Serengeti Drivers, they were freakin awesome sunglasses:thumbsup:

69HEMI-R/T
08-11-2012, 08:17
Go online and search the website of Sunglass Giant to find the type you desire.They have reasonable shipping that is fast and all the info you can absorb on every brand, type, and style of sunglass they carry.

This summer, I drove from SE Texas to Minneapolis and back driving at least 8 to 10 hrs a day (1250 miles one-way) and despite having numerous type and brands of sunglasses from $10 to $350 a pair,Serengeti Drivers were my choice and were great. No eye fatigue, really lightweight (the plastic,polarized lens ones)and most important to me, adjustable nose pads on the model I use.

I cannot stand glasses that touch my cheek as they produce a rash or scrape in short order and the adjustable nose pads remedied this.

the color of your lenses is really your choice but brown is best on overcast days and gray lenses are best on sunny days generally and this works for me.

I have tried a lot of cheap -to -expensive glasses in my time and the Serengeti's just work best for me.

Jeremy_K
08-11-2012, 08:20
I have the Oakley Flak Jackets with polarized iridium lenses. You can get any shade of replacement lenses for them and they are quick to change out lenses. I won't own any that aren't polarized anymore. FWIW I bought a pair of Spiderwire polarized glasses from Wallyworld the last time I went golfing and forgot my Oakleys. The Spiderwires are actually very clear and will make a great backup shade. They were in the fishing section.

MrKandiyohi
08-11-2012, 08:36
I work outside all day (cable technician ) and also shoot outside all the time ...I think its time I treat myself to a nice pair of shades...what Ye say o glocktalk ? I don't wanna spend more than 125.....in the past I've had oakley eye jackets I think they're called ? Back in the early 2000s ..I have a large head as well so take that into consideration ( wear a 7 3/4 fitted hat ) just looking for some opinions! Thanks ladies n gents!

Sounds like you should look at polarized safety glasses.

Weiser 878
08-11-2012, 08:46
I still have my left eye thanks to some Oakleys I used to wear. I still favor my older sets for outdoor activities, but I don't really dig most of their new designs.

All that said, there's nothing like a good pair of RayBan Aviators for driving, casual outdoors, clubbing at night and rocking on stage

Jeremy_K
08-11-2012, 08:51
As far as Oakleys being work glasses, get some with rubber on the arms. I had a pair of Oakley 5's that are more flashy than sporty. I used them at my part time job and they were constantly falling off my head whenever I would bend down or get sweated up. I also have a fairly large melon. The Flak Jackets stick to my head like glue but not tight at all. The lenses are not very scratch resistant but I've gotten used to not beating them up as much and always clean them with the provided micro fiber bags. The XLJ lense is better for bigger melons on the Flak Jackets. The Half Jackets look tiny on a bigger face.

Fwdftw
08-11-2012, 10:31
I'll hit up a Sunglass hut here soon

costanza187
08-11-2012, 11:46
I had some nice looking Harley Davidson sunglasses.

I thought they were supposed to be "safety" glasses in addition to being sunglasses, I dropped them on the floor at Walmart and it cracked the frame. I guess they really were not too safe after all.

AWGD8
08-11-2012, 11:51
I will go for Oakley half jacket with XLJ glass.

http://www.epinions.com/review/Oakley_Half_Jacket_Xlj_Rootbeer_Gold/content_228177120900

I have two of these and I love it for lightweight and best eye protection.

BTW, this is the XLJ lens

http://anoakleysunglasses.com/oakley-half-jacket-xlj-for-style-and-substance/

You can either buy a regular lens or an XLJ, either way, the lens are removable.

scwine
08-11-2012, 21:51
Smith Optics or Costa's. Plastic lens's are for sucker's! Sorry, but true.

Dr. Leaky
08-12-2012, 07:20
Sorry for going off-topic, but whatever you get will survive best if you get yourself one of those bands that attach to the arms and go around the back of your neck. I started with that setup back when I was driving a bus and needed to take them off/on a lot. The end result is that, until you get home, you never put them down and they have very little chance of getting broken/scratched. The added bulk when they're off also helps keep them from getting sat on. I have had a pair of Bucci sunglasses for 6 years that I wear virtually every day and they still look new.

SMOKEin
08-12-2012, 07:28
Wiley X Brick and order them from sportrx. Great prices, they will fit them with rated poly carbonate lenses. They come with snap in/out foam edge, two sets of straps and if your in texas they will will put an extra layer of tint on there for no charge.

boomhower
08-12-2012, 08:58
I love my Oakley Flak Jackets with the extended XJ lenses. They are high quality and last. Lenses are also easily changed out to yellow or clear to make a fine set of shooting glasses. I'm not sure what they run retail as I get them about half off but even at full price I wouldn't have an issue paying it.

brandan86
08-12-2012, 09:07
I love my Oakley Batwolfs. I have had 2 pairs and love them, I have a fatter face, and they fit well.

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/kliner10jason/Oakley%20Batwolf/batwolf2.jpg

Glockdude1
08-12-2012, 09:44
Ray Ban Predators.

:thumbsup:

tslex
08-12-2012, 12:11
Wiley X.

Excellent eye pro, reasonable price.

Fwdftw
08-14-2012, 08:22
Well that was a failure trip to sunglass hut yesterday....every pair of oakleys I put on I either felt like I was from the future or they didn't fit my face

rilkil23
08-14-2012, 08:31
Rudy Project
Smith
Oakley

Depends on the conditions/activities which pair I wear. Good glasses are a must. Good luck on your search.

Andy W
11-13-2012, 11:06
If you still want a suggestion, I bought a pair of Oakley flack jackets with polarized black iridium xlj lenses a little over a month ago. They've been great so far. They don't fall off my head and really cut down on glare. Thinking of buying a pair of the M frames sometime in the future.

JLB768
11-13-2012, 11:16
Maui Jim's

Edited...Nevermind, Maui's are outta your price range.

G29Reload
11-13-2012, 11:56
Oakley. Thermonuclear protection.

But you ain't gettin out under 200. This aint' the 90s no mo.

omega48038
11-13-2012, 12:09
Try a pilot's supply store like marvgolden.com. You'll find some serious quality sunglasses there. I like my Randolph Engineering Raptors a lot. They aren't polarized, but the mirror coating takes care of glare just fine. They also carry Ray Ban, Serengeti and a few others too.

Do yourself a favor, pass on the Oakleys. Yeah, they're popular with the beach volleyball crowd, but way overpriced for what you get. For the same or less money, you can get much higher quality optical glass lenses (and you won't look like a hipster doofus poser).

Slug71
11-13-2012, 13:01
Oakleys

Andy W
11-13-2012, 14:16
Try a pilot's supply store like marvgolden.com. You'll find some serious quality sunglasses there. I like my Randolph Engineering Raptors a lot. They aren't polarized, but the mirror coating takes care of glare just fine. They also carry Ray Ban, Serengeti and a few others too.

Do yourself a favor, pass on the Oakleys. Yeah, they're popular with the beach volleyball crowd, but way overpriced for what you get. For the same or less money, you can get much higher quality optical glass lenses (and you won't look like a hipster doofus poser).

Oakleys are also really popular with LE and military types. Also popular with golfers and other sports. I've actually never heard the Oakley brand associated with hipster posers or the beach volleyball crowd. Maybe that was their main market when they came out in the 80s but they certainly aren't now.

boone10
11-13-2012, 14:32
Here in the Southeast, almost EVERYBODY wears Costa Del Mar--with good reason, they are great.

Not sure about ordering them on Ebay, however. They are a fixed price no matter where you buy them and would have to be wary of knockoffs if they were cheaper. There are several styles within your price range. I wear the Harpoon.

Clutch Cargo
11-13-2012, 15:26
welding helmet

MIKES LAW
11-13-2012, 22:05
A vote for Costa del Mar 580 polycarbonate lens; locally, approximately $140

unit1069
11-13-2012, 22:18
After you misplace or sit on some expensive sunglasses you'll discover that a pair of $5 Wal-Mart polarized sunglasses can fit the bill just as much as the ones that cost 25 times as much.

ShakyDave
11-15-2012, 22:26
The only glasses I wear these days are Maui Jims or Serengetis. You can get both brands at Costco for under $100. They're fully polarized and come in a variety of tints.

eric1
11-15-2012, 22:47
+1 on the Aviators. Can't go wrong with a nice pair of Ray Bans. I alternate between the Avis and Wayfarers.

This is my rotation as well. I lean towards Wayfarers because they are more durable.