Doc44

My money is on Okie.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

LASTRESORT20
08-10-2012, 21:17
Look forward to it...!

GAFinch
08-10-2012, 21:32
Heh, just this afternoon Fox was saying it wouldn't be until after his bus tour ends on Tuesday.

ChuteTheMall
08-10-2012, 21:33
Notice that the announcement will be made in Virginia, not in Ohio, not in Florida, not in Wisconsin, not in Minnesota.

Maybe that means it's Gov. McDonnell, and not Portman, Rubio, Ryan, or Pawlenty.

Also it's in Norfolk, near the world's largest naval base.:drowning:

DOC44
08-10-2012, 21:34
hope it is not John McCain

:rofl:

Doc44

G17Jake
08-10-2012, 21:39
Ron Paul

:poke:

:supergrin:

DOC44
08-10-2012, 21:40
link

http://news.yahoo.com/romney-announce-running-mate-saturday-va-032104025.html

Doc44

G17Jake
08-10-2012, 21:43
Who would Pawlenty draw in?

GRIMLET
08-10-2012, 21:45
If its not Ron, Rand or Condi I won't be impressed.

countrygun
08-10-2012, 21:55
If its not Ron, Rand or Condi I won't be impressed.

I am kind of hoping to be surprised a little. I don't have the ego to think that I know every good posibility. who ever it is they had better to be ready to come out of the chute bucking.

Goaltender66
08-10-2012, 22:00
Scuttlebutt says Paul Ryan.

DOC44
08-10-2012, 22:06
another link

The announcement is being made at the USS Wisconsin. It’s still unclear whom he will choose, but the odds that it is Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., seemed to increase when National Review’s Robert Costa noted that a charter plane flew from Boston to Ryan’s hometown of Janesville, Wis., today.

Presidential campaigns, however, are notorious for head fakes during the running mate selection process.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/breaking-mitt-romney-announcing-vp-pick-at-the-uss-wisconsin/article/2504626#.UCXVdp2PVGQ

Doc44

Doc44

Goaltender66
08-10-2012, 22:11
Don't see this as a head fake. If it is, it has the potential to disappoint a lot of conservatives and could overshadow the real pick.

rahrah12
08-10-2012, 22:11
Sites are leaning towards P. Ryan...I am actually kind of hoping for a curve ball.

I think Ryan would help Romney define what a Romney presidency would actually be...I don't think simply being anti-Obama will be god enough.

GigiB
08-10-2012, 22:15
Either Scrooge McDuck or the Monopoly Man....definitely someone with the common American in mind. :whistling:

HarlDane
08-10-2012, 22:26
NBC just broke Olympics coverage to announce that it's going to be Ryan.

mt920
08-10-2012, 23:00
NBC just broke Olympics coverage to announce that it's going to be Ryan.

I saw that.....

GRIMLET
08-10-2012, 23:38
I am kind of hoping to be surprised a little. I don't have the ego to think that I know every good posibility. who ever it is they had better to be ready to come out of the chute bucking.

A good possibility is one that will bring voters to the poll for them. If the last name isn't Paul or Rice, I will need to be impressed to get excited.

I agree if Romney expects to win he needs to quit the McCain campaign style of being nice. Lets just be real and call it like it is.

Ian Moone
08-10-2012, 23:44
Scuttlebutt says Paul Ryan.

A better pick than Palin.

They say a good VP pick won't win the election, but a bad will could lose it. Ryan would be a good pick.

Pythonman
08-10-2012, 23:58
Paul Ryan? Romney is an idiot. Not all republicans are foaming at the mouth tea partyers like Ryan. Choosing someone like Ryan I can only suspect Romney isn't even serious about this campaign, much as McCain hoped Palin would save him from having to repair the damage to the economy. Now we're probably stuck with Obama another 4yrs.:stooges:

kirgi08
08-11-2012, 00:12
It's 02:15 my time and fox is saying Ryan.'08. :dunno:

Woofie
08-11-2012, 00:25
Paul Ryan? Romney is an idiot. Not all republicans are foaming at the mouth tea partyers like Ryan. Choosing someone like Ryan I can only suspect Romney isn't even serious about this campaign, much as McCain hoped Palin would save him from having to repair the damage to the economy. Now we're probably stuck with Obama another 4yrs.:stooges:

Already hopping on the blame-the-VP bus, huh? If Romney loses, it's Romney's fault; just like it was McCain's fault last time, not Palin's.

kirgi08
08-11-2012, 01:33

You quit much?. It ain't been announced yet.Also,if we win control of the houses,obama has no teeth.Unless,of course he decides ta E/O everything.'08.

G19G20
08-11-2012, 03:32
Well that's stepping outside of the box. Romney is sure to win by picking someone that looks like him, has terrible voting history, while saying they walk the conservative walk.

I like Paul. Oh wait, not this one. Maybe some people will get confused? The Dems already ran ads of Paul Ryan throwing grandma off a cliff with his "plan". I'm sure back to back ads of two coifed white guys talking about their offshore bank accounts and grandma chucking will win.

Romney is being set up to lose. Btw, Romney announced his suggestion for VP. The RNC votes on the VP. Romney doesn't annoint anyone.

Big Mad Dawg
08-11-2012, 03:40
And the sour grapes paulbot is right on schedule, now tell us how you are planning on voting for obama.

G19G20
08-11-2012, 03:46
And the sour grapes paulbot is right on schedule, now tell us how you are planning on voting for obama.

Ive thought about it. Will a badly lopsided win for the D's finally wake up the conservative base? The Tea Party did the trick in 2010 but complacency quickly set back in and most of the TP elected have fallen into establishment line.

If you'd like to discuss political strategy without commitment to a candidate involved then I'm game. I do wish there was more pure political strategy discussion on this forum, instead of partisan bickering.

beforeobamabans
08-11-2012, 04:45
As a former Ron Paul supporter, I'd say Paul Ryan is the best possible choice. If Romney gets elected, we know that the new V.P. will have a real job--driving the budget overhaul. RP's primary appeal was his seriousness about doing something real about cutting spending, balancing the budget and reducing the this country's mortal debt trajectory. The choice of Paul Ryan as his running mate shows that Romney is serious about these top priorities of the Tea Party. In addition, it reinforces in no uncertain terms that Romney will be a very different president than Obama. All those who like to say there isn't a dime's worth of difference between the candidates or parties now have nothing to say because their premise has been proven false. I was never going to vote for Obama but was toying with the idea of voting LP. But, if Ryan's on the ticket, my enthusiasm for the GOP will increase 10-fold and I will happily support it.

Bluestreakfl
08-11-2012, 05:26
Personally I'd like to see Rice as his VP. I think she could do a lot to calm down the racial tension we have in this country. She might also win over more female voters and African American voters as well. Just a thought.

Sent from my phone booth

Big Mad Dawg
08-11-2012, 05:37
As a former Ron Paul supporter, I'd say Paul Ryan is the best possible choice. If Romney gets elected, we know that the new V.P. will have a real job--driving the budget overhaul. RP's primary appeal was his seriousness about doing something real about cutting spending, balancing the budget and reducing the this country's mortal debt trajectory. The choice of Paul Ryan as his running mate shows that Romney is serious about these top priorities of the Tea Party. In addition, it reinforces in no uncertain terms that Romney will be a very different president than Obama. All those who like to say there isn't a dime's worth of difference between the candidates or parties now have nothing to say because their premise has been proven false. I was never going to vote for Obama but was toying with the idea of voting LP. But, if Ryan's on the ticket, my enthusiasm for the GOP will increase 10-fold and I will happily support it.

Well stated and I applaud you. :rock:

ChuteTheMall
08-11-2012, 07:05
Yes, it's nice to see former Ron Paul supporters articulate their reasons for voting against Obama.

Ronulan diehards are a dying breed as fantasyland shrinks.

And the choice of Ryan makes it clear what the issue is: fiscal policy.

Don't be distracted by gay marraige or abortion or religion or other social issues, most of which should be none of the government's business anyway.

It's the stupid economy or something like that.:patriot:

pugman
08-11-2012, 07:33
Personally I'd like to see Rice as his VP. I think she could do a lot to calm down the racial tension we have in this country. She might also win over more female voters and African American voters as well. Just a thought.

While this makes 100% perfect sense it proves our country's politics have been thrown out the window.

Don't pick a candidate because she is smart, or a good choice, or starts to groom them for a future chance at the presidentency.

Pick a candidate to calm racial tension and swing votes.

A Black president has done nothing to calm racial tension and in many, many ways fueled the fire.

As a country if our solution to tensions is to vote a candidate into office...well we know how it ended for McGinn

Gangs of New York Bill the Butcher kills Walter McGinn - YouTube

beforeobamabans
08-11-2012, 07:55
Good Grief. Romney introduces Ryan as "the next president of the United States!"

Can we invert the ticket?

Pythonman
08-11-2012, 09:55
Actually now that I've had 12hrs to put things into perspective I think Ryan would basically be marginalized by being VP. His job isn't going to be fiscal blah blah blah, to the contrary, his job is going to be backing whatever Romney's play is just like every other run of the mill VP does. Ryans not going to be the string pulling puppetmaster like Cheney was to Bush II. By picking Ryan as his VP I think Romney has just muffled what would have been one of his possible worst GOP second guessing critics and at the same time found a way to put the Tea Party into his back pocket without any further headaches from them.

beforeobamabans
08-11-2012, 10:09
By picking Ryan as his VP I think Romney has...found a way to put the Tea Party into his back pocket without any further headaches from them.
Which he needed to do.

JFrame
08-11-2012, 10:10
Actually now that I've had 12hrs to put things into perspective I think Ryan would basically be marginalized by being VP. His job isn't going to be fiscal blah blah blah, to the contrary, his job is going to be backing whatever Romney's play is just like every other run of the mill VP does. Ryans not going to be the string pulling puppetmaster like Cheney was to Bush II. By picking Ryan as his VP I think Romney has just muffled what would have been one of his possible worst GOP second guessing critics and at the same time found a way to put the Tea Party into his back pocket without any further headaches from them.

Ryan is the House Budget Chairman. Somehow, I believe marginalizing his fiscal expertise is not part of the "master plan."

Pythonman
08-11-2012, 10:54
Ryan is the House Budget Chairman. Somehow, I believe marginalizing his fiscal expertise is not part of the "master plan."

Well, if Romney wins then Paul Ryan was the House Budget Chairman. With any luck Romney will get a new House Budget Chairman that isn't as radically right wing as Ryan which I think may have been the whole point. As VP Ryan would't be chairman of anything. But if Romney want's to win he's gonna have to give the running VP Ryan a new script that doesn't talk of ending Medicare and Social Security as we know it.

JFrame
08-11-2012, 10:59
Well, if Romney wins then Paul Ryan was the House Budget Chairman. With any luck Romney will get a new House Budget Chairman that isn't as radically right wing as Ryan which I think may have been the whole point. As VP Ryan would't be chairman of anything. But if Romney want's to win he's gonna have to give the running VP Ryan a new script that doesn't talk of ending Medicare and Social Security as we know it.

Paul Ryan says it a lot better than I ever could. The end of the clip makes Obama sound like a babbling fool...

Paul Ryan: Hiding Spending Doesn't Reduce Spending - YouTube

jakebrake
08-11-2012, 11:05

i have to disagree. she is seen as part of the "Bush culture". and with good reason.

the black vote will view her as a sell out.

the female vote just won't like her (i'm guessing) because she's a bush person. that does carry a stigma.

countrygun
08-11-2012, 13:34
Ive thought about it. Will a badly lopsided win for the D's finally wake up the conservative base? The Tea Party did the trick in 2010 but complacency quickly set back in and most of the TP elected have fallen into establishment line.

If you'd like to discuss political strategy without commitment to a candidate involved then I'm game. I do wish there was more pure political strategy discussion on this forum, instead of partisan bickering.

With your understanding of political strategy it's a miracle you can spell it.

Nobody feels like stepping down to playground level to carry on a converstaion about politics.

Sorry, you'll catch on in a couple more Presidential elections...........maybe.

GAFinch
08-11-2012, 15:19
If you look at Romney closely, you'll see that his main focus is fiscal reform. Ryan's main focus is also fiscal reform. It's what this country desperately needs right now. They're both religious (Romney followed through on his promise to have a pro-life candidate), but neither are rigid or in your face about it. Romney has already been strongly linked to Ryan's budget proposal by Zero's campaign, so there's no downside to picking him. Ryan knows how to talk to liberals and independents just like Rubio and has already successfully taken on Zero over budgetary policy.

To the Ron Paul guys: RP talked a big game on budget cuts, but nothing is going to be accomplished without all Republicans and some Democrats agreeing to it. The President can't do it on his own, most of what he can do is provide leadership and direction to Congress and help sell it to the American public. If the majority of Americans aren't successfully sold on reforms to popular programs, Democrats will regain power and quickly stall reforms and then undo half of it. Voting for Obama with the goal of triggering a violent revolution is immoral, particularly if success isn't at all guaranteed. We all have a moral obligation to exhaust all peaceful means first.

JohnnyReb
08-11-2012, 15:55
If you look at Romney closely, you'll see that his main focus is fiscal reform. Ryan's main focus is also fiscal reform. It's what this country desperately needs right now. They're both religious (Romney followed through on his promise to have a pro-life candidate), but neither are rigid or in your face about it. Romney has already been strongly linked to Ryan's budget proposal by Zero's campaign, so there's no downside to picking him. Ryan knows how to talk to liberals and independents just like Rubio and has already successfully taken on Zero over budgetary policy.

To the Ron Paul guys: RP talked a big game on budget cuts, but nothing is going to be accomplished without all Republicans and some Democrats agreeing to it. The President can't do it on his own, most of what he can do is provide leadership and direction to Congress and help sell it to the American public. If the majority of Americans aren't successfully sold on reforms to popular programs, Democrats will regain power and quickly stall reforms and then undo half of it. Voting for Obama with the goal of triggering a violent revolution is immoral, particularly if success isn't at all guaranteed. We all have a moral obligation to exhaust all peaceful means first.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying here, but its important to note, any cuts are a band aid on a gunshot wound without cutting entitlements.

We need canidates that are willing to stand up and cut those programs, and ween so many American's off the government, teat.

GAFinch
08-11-2012, 16:29
I agree with a lot of what you are saying here, but its important to note, any cuts are a band aid on a gunshot wound without cutting entitlements.

We need canidates that are willing to stand up and cut those programs, and ween so many American's off the government, teat.

Both of them very much want to cut and reform entitlements, but it has to be done very carefully. The AARP crowd is very large and very politically active. The urban crowd is very prone to rioting. Don't underestimate the influence of old media.

G19G20
08-12-2012, 20:32

Let's start with the $1.5Trillion a year foreign policy before taking food out of American's mouths. Yes?

kirgi08
08-13-2012, 07:30
Disagree,we need ta stop feeding the sloth,put them ta work.As ta foreign policy,it's ripe for trimming and needs it.'08.