Beckley, WV 2012 Debriefing & Photo Thread [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Beckley, WV 2012 Debriefing & Photo Thread

DannyR
08-11-2012, 04:49
Please post your stories & photos here. I should be at the match by 2pm today.:wavey:

youngann
08-11-2012, 04:54
Hope to see you there, Danny.

keryou1960
08-11-2012, 16:42
Do they have a practice plate rack set up?

bustedknee
08-11-2012, 17:35
Missed you Danny. However I set the bar pretty low. No stress.

Great weather, road in good shape, I got a new Tee shirt (I Survived the road to the Beckley Gun Club).

I saw the Glock that spent the winter in the river. Looked like hell but shot like a Glock. 'cept these little fish kept hitting the shooter in the head. :animlol:

mike g35
08-11-2012, 18:11
Another great match at Beckley Gun Club here in my home state of West (by god) Virginia!!! Beautiful weather, great folks to talk to, and the GSSF staff working hard as usual. There was a wait on the 5 and the M that some were complaining about but we all finished today to the best of my knowledge so obviously it wasn't that bad. Got to see coach (Danny), Mr. And Mrs. lethal, Rodney (Dr. Rod), Randy (glockinRandall), Pat ( cavscout) and quite a few other GTers. Shot ok but not like I thought I did. Don't know why but I'm stuck in the 130's and 100's. Except in comp which will be worse but it was my first day shooting with the new Advantage Arms sights on my 34. All in all it was a great match. Beautiful weather by the way. I have plenty of pics and video to share once I get home and get them downloaded. Thanks for another great one GSSF!!!

BamaTrooper
08-11-2012, 18:52
.... Don't know why but I'm stuck in the 130's and 100's. ...

Mike, what we want to know is 1- were the set ups the same as last year and 2- did you do better than last year?

mike g35
08-11-2012, 18:58
Mike, what we want to know is 1- were the set ups the same as last year and 2- did you do better than last year?

Yes to 1, yes & no to two . From my rough calculations I didn't beat last years UL score but I did beat AmCiv. Not sure why but I was hitting a lot of high D's today with my Ul gun at 20 yards and out. Killed my chances at beating last year doing that. I had a blast though. :supergrin:

mike g35
08-11-2012, 19:26

Not that I saw. I think they had some set up down the road last year but not sure about this year.

Glockrunner
08-11-2012, 19:28

No practice plates but the club did purchase two new racks. One had trouble with a plate falling after being hit. Hummmm wouldn't some oil fix that?

We had a good run at everything today and got to visit too.

Saw Danny as he was entering the property in his car but all we could do is wave.

Took in the Coal Mine Exhibit and found that very interesting and headed home.

Pretty much an all new RO crowd but they handled to match alright.

Hint if you are in a car with automatic tranny just place it in low gear before going up the gravel covered hill and you won't slinge all the new gravel down the hill.....

DannyR
08-11-2012, 20:49
The Coalfields Classic II is destined to be a fantastic success. First of all, I arrived at 2:15pm and finished just before 6pm. That's less than 4 hours and I always allow four hours minimum for a match. Saw a lot of old friends, met a few new friends, shot lousy but had a good time. Always have fun. Life is too short to be miserable.

The front sight on my Gen2 G19 came loose while shooting the 5TG, but I kept shooting. At one point it was sideways, and fell off after my last shot. Surprisingly, no misses.

Although there were some long waits, I observed no variations from established GSSF Procedure.

Bob and his RO's did a fantastic job handling about 300 entries, matching their entire attendance from last year. Food was great. GSSF staff performed at their usual excellence. Thanks Chris, Cindy & Uncle Festus.

I was probably the last person through registration today, and nearly the last person to shoot each stage. Still, I enjoyed the afternoon. I even have a T-shirt like the one described by Busted Knee.

Perfect weather. I offer no excuses for my poor performance.

Thanks Beckley Gun Club and every RO that worked today!

Final note: What Beckley Gun Club needs most is a good shortcut to the range.:wavey:

mike g35
08-11-2012, 20:50
http://youtu.be/i4dsEWWp6VA
Here's a video of "Dr. Rod" (Rodney Leeber) shooting my Carver Custom G22 SuperNOVA racegun. Rodney was on fire today, my gun always turns heads. Myself, all the other shooters on the plates, and even the staff wanted to see what Rodney could do with a compensated racegun. Check this video out, it was his first time shooting a full on open gun AND it was a 40 cal. as opposed to the more typical GSSG 9mm UL gun (which I typically have with me). I hope he enjoyed shooting it as much as I enjoyed watching it!!! :)

SARDG
08-11-2012, 21:02
Here's a video of "Dr. Rod" (Rodney Leeber) shooting my Carver Custom G22 SuperNOVA racegun. Rodney was on fire today...
Should I say it?? :whistling:

PM720
08-11-2012, 21:09
Um, no disrespect intended but, um, does anyone have any comments on that "low" ready position? If that's legal I REALLY need to change my start position. :wow::dunno:

Scott

SARDG
08-11-2012, 21:12
Um, no disrespect intended but, um, does anyone have any comments on that "low" ready position? If that's legal I REALLY need to change my start position. :wow::dunno:

Scott
Oh goodie... I didn't have to say it! :)

mike g35
08-11-2012, 21:21

Scott
To be fair this was just shooting for fun, not a real stage or a real run. We just wanted to watch him destroy the plates with my racegun....and he didn't disappoint.
Also, I was actually intructed to not "point at the barrel" today but to point at the grass. So my low ready was similar to his. Not sure why, I don't make the rules. I just do what I'm told by the RO at the line. One RO today even mentioned to me today how impressed he was how I didn't move to do anything, reload, unbag my gun, take a sight picture, etc etc etc until they told me. I told him it changes every match so I'm not doing anything until told, getting DQ'd out of a $100 match isn't on my list of things to do today. LOL

SARDG
08-11-2012, 21:25
To be fair this was just shooting for fun, not a real stage or a real run. We just wanted to watch him destroy the plates with my racegun....and he didn't disappoint.
Ummm... I'll be watching him on real stages and runs then.

mike g35
08-11-2012, 21:30
Here are some pics from todays match. The blue skys over the registration tent, DannyR signing in at the 5 to Glock, Mr. Lethal Tupperware at the Glock M signing in, a few pics of the staff and stages and a good one of the infamous "I survived the road to the Beckley Gun Club" t-shirt!!!!:rofl::supergrin::wavey: Hope you all enjoy them.

mike g35
08-11-2012, 21:31
Ummm... I'll be watching him on real stages and runs then.
He was shooting faster with his stock guns. Sub 3 second runs. Just sayin'.:wow:

SARDG
08-11-2012, 21:40
...Also, I was actually intructed to not "point at the barrel" today but to point at the grass. So my low ready was similar to his. Not sure why, I don't make the rules. I just do what I'm told by the RO at the line. One RO today even mentioned to me today how impressed he was how I didn't move to do anything, reload, unbag my gun, take a sight picture, etc etc etc until they told me. I told him it changes every match so I'm not doing anything until told, getting DQ'd out of a $100 match isn't on my list of things to do today. LOL
There were 2 1/2 acres of grass between the barrel and where he was pointed.

You follow GSSF rules at the line and you will never be DQed. One of the very distinct problems is the lack of consistency between matches so shooters are never quite sure what to expect.

I will give you that local range anomolies or restrictions can allow for 'special' circumstances warranting a local venue rule adjustment - but not that ready position where there is clearly more room to lower that gun. NOW, if every RO is telling every shooter at every stage for every string that they SHOULD (must) start that way... that would keep things fair. Was that happening Mike? :shocked:

SARDG
08-11-2012, 21:44
He was shooting faster with his stock guns. Sub 3 second runs. Just sayin'.:wow:
Don't care how fast he was shooting what gun - we're talking about a correct ready position which in fact affects his time.

mike g35
08-11-2012, 21:54
Don't care how fast he was shooting what gun - we're talking about a correct ready position which in fact affects his time.
I get what youre saying, I'm just saying this wasn't an official run and it was just for fun. Rules are great and everything, we all know them and they keep us safe and keep things fair, but geez....this was just for fun and that was clearly stated. I even changed the videos title so that it wouldn't be as misleading. His runs in the other divisions were just as fair and just as closely watched as anyone elses. I understand where you're coming from but sometimes you just gotta take things for what they are. And what they are in this case is a "fun run". Not trying to be mean either SARDG, you know I appreciate your help and opinions, its just that I don't want folks taking the wrong idea from something I posted. :wavey:

mike g35
08-11-2012, 22:19
There were 2 1/2 acres of grass between the barrel and where he was pointed.

You follow GSSF rules at the line and you will never be DQed. One of the very distinct problems is the lack of consistency between matches so shooters are never quite sure what to expect.

I will give you that local range anomolies or restrictions can allow for 'special' circumstances warranting a local venue rule adjustment - but not that ready position where there is clearly more room to lower that gun. NOW, if every RO is telling every shooter at every stage for every string that they SHOULD (must) start that way... that would keep things fair. Was that happening Mike? :shocked:

I digress, I cannot attest to what the ROs were telling other shooters, only what I saw and was told. As far as I know the proper start position is pointing down range with the muzzle pointed at the berm with the gun lowered. I take for granted everyone was given the same instructions as myself. Regardless of that the ROs did an excellent job. All shooters were given fair opportunities and everyone had fun and left safe. That's good enough for me. :):wavey:

Bullman
08-11-2012, 22:19
Missed you Danny. However I set the bar pretty low. No stress.

Great weather, road in good shape, I got a new Tee shirt (I Survived the road to the Beckley Gun Club).

I saw the Glock that spent the winter in the river. Looked like hell but shot like a Glock. 'cept these little fish kept hitting the shooter in the head. :animlol:

Don't forget that you took your very part time shooting buddy to his first GSSf shooting event.:supergrin::wavey:

SARDG
08-11-2012, 22:47
I get what youre saying, I'm just saying this wasn't an official run and it was just for fun. Rules are great and everything, we all know them and they keep us safe and keep things fair, but geez....this was just for fun and that was clearly stated. I...

Mike - YOU are the one who said your low-ready was similar to his! See your quote below. I assumed you meant your official stages. No wonder you post those great times! :rofl:

To be fair this was just shooting for fun, not a real stage or a real run... ...my low ready was similar to his...

mike g35
08-11-2012, 22:53
I need another T-shirt that says I went to the Beckley Gun Clubs GSSF match and all I got was this lousy sunburn. LOL I got roasted today. That six hours in the sun thing wasn't really planned for. LOL going early I thought I'd be there and gone before it was an issue. Lesson learned. What do you folks do to keep safe from the sun? Saw some umbrellas today, that looked like a good idea. Are there any sunblocks out there you would recommend that aren't greasy and pardon the expression don't smell girly or like the beach?

SARDG
08-11-2012, 22:53
...As far as I know the proper start position is pointing down range with the muzzle pointed at the berm with the gun lowered...
In a word... NO! Since you are an avid shooter of GSSF you should read all the rules AND the Shooter's Lingo that are in The Glock Report, the 2012 RO Guide, the older RO guides, and the RO Notes that are a part of every stage/CoF.

DannyR
08-11-2012, 22:57
Kitty and PM720,

Don't sweat the small stuff. Rod has been shooting GSSF since 2000 and uses the low-ready position correctly when shooting GSSF competition. We had fun today. Don't spoil it by over-analyzing a fun run.

GSSF does not require competitors to read the 2012 or older RO Guides.

mike g35
08-11-2012, 23:09
Mike - YOU are the one who said your low-ready was similar to his! See your quote below. I assumed you meant your official stages. No wonder you post those great times! :rofl:

I shoot just as I said. Didn't mean when he was shooting for fun I meant during the match. As for my times they may not be great but they aren't horrible either. I could say a lot more because to be frank and honest there's a lot more to say but i don't feel its right. Not my style. :wavey:

SARDG
08-11-2012, 23:11
Kitty and PM720,

Don't sweat the small stuff. Rod has been shooting GSSF since 2000 and uses the low-ready position correctly when shooting GSSF competition...
I've put Rod's fun-shoot behind me... :cool:

Mike is getting on my last nerve tonight, though. :yawn:

SARDG
08-11-2012, 23:14
I shoot just as I said. Didn't mean when he was shooting for fun I meant during the match. As for my times they may not be great but they aren't horrible either. I could say a lot more because to be frank and honest there's a lot more to say but i don't feel its right. Not my style. :wavey:
Sorry Mike -I saw an opening on that one. I think I'll move along now, before I get a whippin'. :wavey:

PM720
08-11-2012, 23:16
Sorry, I did not read that as a fun run. :embarassed: I thought he was shooting for score. Carry on! :wavey:

If you want to see something really impressive look up Taran Butler shooting a plate rack from the hip!! :wow:

Scott

SARDG
08-11-2012, 23:22
...If you want to see something really impressive look up Taran Butler shooting a plate rack from the hip!! :wow:

Scott
Link?

mike g35
08-11-2012, 23:22
Sorry Mike -I saw an opening on that one. I think I'll move along now, before I get a whippin'. :wavey:

No biggie SARDG I got your point. As for getting on your nerves I seem to have that effect on people here until they meet me face to face and then realize I'm not all what some would have them believe. I'm just here to talk about a fun sport and a fun day, nothing more. :wavey:

SARDG
08-11-2012, 23:27
...I seem to have that effect on people here until they meet me face to face and then realize I'm not all what some would have them believe...
You comin' to Conyers? I don't think my F-350 can survive that road of yours so you have to come south.

S.Kargoh
08-11-2012, 23:31
Grand Master Taran Butler Hip Shooting 6 plates 1.98sec. Broke his personal record. - YouTube

mike g35
08-11-2012, 23:38
You comin' to Conyers? I don't think my F-350 can survive that road of yours so you have to come south.

I'm hoping to but my new job at Cabelas is pretty demanding and takes up most my time. I requested it off, fingers crossed, I don't want to miss the big one again.

SARDG
08-11-2012, 23:38
Grand Master Taran Butler Hip Shooting 6 plates 1.98sec. Broke his personal record. - YouTube
That's insane! Geez...

At that sustained rate for 4 strings he would have an under 8 sec plate rack stage - from the hip. :shocked:

bustedknee
08-12-2012, 02:37
Don't forget that you took your very part time shooting buddy to his first GSSf shooting event.:supergrin::wavey:

I can't believe I forgot to tell you to tell me to, "Slow down!".

And, you posted a very respectable score for your 1st shoot.

I think I'll have a Tee shirt made with,
"Slow down",
"Sight Picture",
"Trigger Control"
printed on the back.

And when I shoot, those waiting to shoot, can yell those instructions at me?
Like football fans with too much beer.

Gimme Slow down

Gimme Sight Picture

Gimme Trigger Control

Whatta ya got?

Nah! :animlol:

Bullman
08-12-2012, 06:27
I got roasted too. We shot the plates last and I noticed a family there as I was walking off the range that had folding chairs with canopies on them, they definetly had the right idea.

Bullman
08-12-2012, 06:32
I can't believe I forgot to tell you to tell me to, "Slow down!".

And, you posted a very respectable score for your 1st shoot.

I think I'll have a Tee shirt made with,
"Slow down",
"Sight Picture",
"Trigger Control"
printed on the back.

And when I shoot, those waiting to shoot, can yell those instructions at me?
Like football fans with too much beer.

Gimme Slow down

Gimme Sight Picture

Gimme Trigger Control

Whatta ya got?

Nah! :animlol:

I should bring a taser with me next time, we pull the leads out and tape them to you, you are good enough with electronics that you could probably dial down the juice a bit, every time you look like you are about to set a speed record I could just 'reign you in" a little. :supergrin:

Jack4321
08-12-2012, 10:49
It was my first time in Beckley and it was a great match. I talked to some great folks but didn't shoot all that good. I didn't see Busted knee on the interstate but maybe next time.:wavey:Got there around 0915 and out around 1530.

DannyR
08-12-2012, 15:35
Any word on the final number of entries?

lethal tupperwa
08-12-2012, 20:13
A BIG thank you for the signage finding the club was easy!

I talked with one person who left his directions at home.

With the signs starting on the interstate and at every turn as well as one every

now and then to let you know that, that winding road though getting narrower

was still the right road.

As to the tee shirts only people that were there last year really know what they meant.

kyglockshooter 2.0
08-12-2012, 20:17
Also, I was actually intructed to not "point at the barrel" today but to point at the grass. So my low ready was similar to his. Not sure why, I don't make the rules. I just do what I'm told by the RO at the line. One RO today even mentioned to me today how impressed he was how I didn't move to do anything, reload, unbag my gun, take a sight picture, etc etc etc until they told me. I told him it changes every match so I'm not doing anything until told, getting DQ'd out of a $100 match isn't on my list of things to do today. LOL

i also got talked to about not maving my barrel pointed at the barrel. and that ro was very peticular about my actions and nothing i did was right he kept hounding me on different things. i also was slightly unhappy with how the 5tg was down past the firing line of glock m. it just made me feel uncomfortable to be standing and look to your left and see target stands.

21 shooter
08-12-2012, 21:54
Good match and the RO's were great as always. Those are some good folks in Beckley. As someone has already said, unless you were there last year you can't fully appreciate those T-shirts, which I though were pretty cool. I brought sunscreen so I didn't get baked. Can't wait until next year. Oh, and thanks for those signs. Nice touch and appreciated by many.

wheels41
08-13-2012, 01:48
Thanks to everyone that attended. You all were great and we always enjoy having shooters at the range.

youngann
08-13-2012, 06:10
Any word on the final number of entries?

My count is 373.

We had a great time at Beckley and shot "OK". Tome and I can both do better but the bottom line is that we had fun. I guess the "we're only in it for the drawings" line is true once again. :embarassed:

We put another 1100+ miles on the car and are exhausted. Will try to recover at work this week in time for the Topton pa match next weekend.

The Highlander
08-13-2012, 08:11
Thank you to the Beckley Gun Club and all involved with this match. I have been at both now, and I will definitely be back. No practice this year, and eye surgery three weeks ago pretty much doomed me to mediocrity, but we had a great time!

The signage coming in was fantastic.

Just wish you had both the t-shirts available in 3x or at least 2x sizes next year!

PM720
08-13-2012, 09:02
Just wish you had both the t-shirts available in 3x or at least 2x sizes next year!

There IS another solution to that! ;):cool:

Scott

Stickey8
08-13-2012, 09:50
Thanks to all of the competitors, ROs, Chris, and Cindy for a great weekend! This was my second GSSF match as a RO and the third one I have attended. It is such a pleasure to spend the weekend with so many truly wonderful people. Can't wait until next year and hope to see many of you at some other matches.

Steve

mike g35
08-13-2012, 11:14
I forgot about the signs, that did make finding the range easy. I wish all GSSF matches had them. Good job Beckley Gun Club!

GlockinRandall
08-13-2012, 12:59

Scott

I'm not talking about anyone in particular, but I've been seeing some goofy "LOW" ready positions lately. Never used to see it, but it seems like I'm seeing it more and more lately. The rules are pretty clear, your forearms have to be touching your body or you have to be at a 45 degree angle low ready. At the most, with the low ready, your gun should be pointed at the ground, about halfway to the target. I've be seeing some people starting with the sights on the bottom of the target, and at the the buzzer there is the slightest movement up to shoot. To be fair, I think it is up to the staff to guide people in the correct starting positions, alot of people are probably just doing what they think they are supposed to. Not bashing the staff, they do a wonderful job 99 percent of the time at most matches I've been to.

GlockinRandall
08-13-2012, 13:15
Man, what a nice range and nice area. Road there was a little silly, but it was cool. Great weather too. It was good seeing people and everyone was really friendly. I'll definitely be back next year. My only gripe was the waiting. I got there at 10:30, didn't shoot the Glock'M' till 3:00, then the 5 to Glock at 5:00, then the plates were pretty quick. Not sure why, everything seemed to be run pretty well. I know alot more people showed up this year. Not that big of deal, I had alot of fun and I'll be back next time.

Doc Holiday
08-13-2012, 15:44
There were a LOT of WV State Police, Raleigh County Sheriff's Deputies, and several other law enforcement types there volunteering and shooting. Thanks to all of them for coming out and for what they do every day!

Weather was perfect!

Thanks to K.R.H. from Raleigh Co. for pushing some dirt and having the range ship shape!

Might consider: Just having two 5toGlocks and putting a temp. 'wall' between the two shooting positions so both sides could run simultaneously vs having three 5toGlocks but only shooting one at a time.

I think if the Glock M's had been spread out just a little, both could have been shot simultaneously vs one at a time.

Thanks to Cindy and Chris from GSSF for their hard work and patience!

Dr. Rod
08-13-2012, 16:52
Anybody from the Beckley Gun Club find a Nike Flip Flop? My GF lost one. :upeyes:

SARDG
08-13-2012, 17:27
..Might consider: Just having two 5toGlocks and putting a temp. 'wall' between the two shooting positions so both sides could run simultaneously vs having three 5toGlocks but only shooting one at a time.

I think if the Glock M's had been spread out just a little, both could have been shot simultaneously vs one at a time....
It's been my experience that GSSF timer sensitivity can be adjusted to accomodate simultaneous shooting of adjacent stages. I've done it - more than once at GSSF matches and frequently at our Steel matches. The timer sensitivity should be adjusted to "9" as a trial, instead of the default "13" or the high "25" to "45" on some. ROs should be checking timer sensitivity before they run their stage anyway. In Dawsonville, my first string on my first stage wasn't recorded because the sensitivity was actually on "45".

Doing this adjustment also requires that ROs point the timer at the muzzle of the gun - not in the air and not down at their side. This is NOT a problem if ROs are told and trained to do this and it immediately allows the shooting to proceed at twice or 3 times the pace.

And baffles - yes, that's even a greater help!

bryandover
08-13-2012, 17:44
Just got home and Beckley was a killer trip for me. Not only the scenery but the trip itself. May be to much to do again unless it was the same weekend as Marietta. I was also on the boards at 9:00am and didn't finish until 5:00pm. It took me longer than any match I've been to except Vegas. Most competitors signed up at all the stages and went where they were called. I heard many times someone called up to shoot and someone else said they was shooting another stage. It worked well for those doing it but not for the ones waiting at the stage like they are supposed to. Still had a good time and thanks to everyone who helped put it on. I need to get rested up for Greeley.

SARDG
08-13-2012, 17:46
I'm not talking about anyone in particular, but I've been seeing some goofy "LOW" ready positions lately. Never used to see it, but it seems like I'm seeing it more and more lately. The rules are pretty clear, your forearms have to be touching your body or you have to be at a 45 degree angle low ready. At the most, with the low ready, your gun should be pointed at the ground, about halfway to the target...
Not halfway - 6' in front or 45 degrees. I pasted all the rules verbatim, in the "Start positions.." thread, but GT seems to lock up when I try to access that thread.

DannyR
08-13-2012, 19:10
Careful, Randy. Miss Kitty has traded her whip for a protractor and laser rangefinder.:whistling:

SARDG
08-13-2012, 19:23
Careful, Randy. Miss Kitty has traded her whip for a protractor and laser rangefinder.:whistling:
:rofl: You never cease to entertain, Danny-boy.... but alas, I've kept my whip too! :tongueout: :supergrin:

I'm not really that bad... I've simply become a student of the rules. :embarassed:

k

The Highlander
08-13-2012, 19:53
There IS another solution to that! ;):cool:

Scott

Yeah, I know........working on it!

Bob F.
08-13-2012, 20:00
Just tried to post a kinda long post, then it told me I needed to log in; I already had!?!?

Thanks for the kind words and criticism. We're new & need problems pointed out. Believe me, we're learning a lot. Lots of changes (improvements) next year including probably another range.

Mike, we had a 30' x 60' tent! Did you not fit under it??? Sorry, couldn't resist. It was definitely sunny, Chris arranged that for us.

Range road was pretty good Sat. AM. Grader had worked it earlier in the week until the brakes went out. I'm sure y'all saw "The Beast", it's a 1961 Hughes, Army surplus. Anyway, someone spun alot going out Sat afternoon. Like a prev poster said, low gear! As in "1" on those automatics.

My butt's dragging but like Long said: "It's a shame having this much fun is so darned much work!"

Thanks to EVERYBODY! Lots of non-club members worked before hand, folks from allover jumped in & helped.

Stay safe, Y'all, and thanks again!
Bob

The Highlander
08-13-2012, 20:00
My only gripe is not shooting the stages simultaneously. Would have been MUCH faster. Plenty of room to do it, even if they set up like others with stages at different sites on the property.

Bob F.
08-13-2012, 20:02
BTW: We started w/ t-shirts up to & including 5X, just not enough. They were pretty popular.

Bob F.
08-13-2012, 20:04
Highlander, yeah, we've discussed that at length. We've 600+ acres. It's gonna happen!!

Bob F.
08-13-2012, 20:22
Almost forgot: Did y'all hear about the New River Glock???

Long probably has names & more details, but short version: Glock (17, I think) was lost in New River by a rafter. Now those of you familiar with the New understand that nothing simply sinks there; the current carries it downstream, through boulders, rocks, sand and several unmentionables.

Some fortunate sole found the gun 9 months later, cleaned it and, reportedly, fired it. It worked, but even tennifer gave up something to the New. Another fellow came into possession through a pawn shop.

At the match Sat he got to telling Long about it & showed it to him. Long told him to show John. "Ah, I don't wanna bother him, it's a junker." He left the range with the same slide, barrell & frame. Everything else was new!!! Hurray Glock, and John!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

GlockinRandall
08-14-2012, 04:51
Not halfway - 6' in front or 45 degrees. I pasted all the rules verbatim, in the "Start positions.." thread, but GT seems to lock up when I try to access that thread.

Wow! You can retract those claws now! :wow: I wasn't disagreeing with you at all, I know how the rules read very well too. Just that some people read those same rules and somehow think it's legal to start with the sights on the bar of the plate rack. :rofl: I was just making a point that if you pointed the gun at the ground halfway to the target, it would have some semblence of being a legal start position, but I know what you're saying and agree with you.

Glockrunner
08-14-2012, 06:01
:rofl: You never cease to entertain, Danny-boy.... but alas, I've kept my whip too! :tongueout: :supergrin:

I'm not really that bad... I've simply become a student of the rules. :embarassed:

k

Hey Ms. Kitty! Morning to ya.

Maybe you could come up with a halter of some type the RO could hold until the timer beeps? You know, kinda like reins on a bridle......:rofl:

Then there would be no need for all these complicated rules and eveyone (no matter their size) would have the same start position!:supergrin:

lethal tupperwa
08-14-2012, 06:18
Miss Kitty,

you have not been to Beckley.

And timer adjustment is somewhat more difficult

Because the range is in a rock walled bowl that was a mine.

You get sound in ways that most ranges do not.

SARDG
08-14-2012, 07:48
Wow! You can retract those claws now! :wow: I wasn't disagreeing with you at all, I know how the rules read very well too. Just that some people read those same rules and somehow think it's legal to start with the sights on the bar of the plate rack. :rofl:...
I didn't really have my claws out for that one... just re-iterating what's called for. Since it's true that those rules seem to be interpreted differently, by different folks, a cone or 'X' is likely the only way to remove ambiguity.

SARDG
08-14-2012, 07:52
Maybe you could come up with a halter of some type the RO could hold until the timer beeps? You know, kinda like reins on a bridle......:rofl:

Then there would be no need for all these complicated rules and eveyone (no matter their size) would have the same start position!:supergrin:
You mean the 'the shooter' Bob? Yeah, that's an idea whose time hasn't come. :faint:

SARDG
08-14-2012, 08:09
Miss Kitty,

you have not been to Beckley.

And timer adjustment is somewhat more difficult

Because the range is in a rock walled bowl that was a mine.

You get sound in ways that most ranges do not.
True Jim - haven't seen the layout. But I've been pretty successful in the past at other GSSF venues with timer adjustment. Again, it then requires that the RO hold the timer up and pointed slightly down, directly at the muzzle. Go through a selection of YouTubes and see where and how many ROs hold the timer after the beep. :crying:

Also, how many ROs among us actually know how to adjust the timer sensitivity, or even review the shot string? Some of the older GSSF timers required a screwdriver adjustment - a rather arbitrary sensitivity adjustment - or at times, a paster over the microphone helped, but also arbitrary.

DannyR
08-14-2012, 08:19
Closest comparison would be trying to set up 8 lanes of fire in a basketball arena.

The Highlander
08-14-2012, 08:46
I handled the New River Glock Sunday. I have to admit, I would love to own it! Actually, I thought about asking if I could shoot a stage with it! That thing is so kewl!!

I love Beckley Gun Club, just wish I lived close enough to join. The location is very much like home to me, I am from Northeast Tennessee, and is just beautiful. The people are great as well. I have shot a clubs that utilized their property by having stages at different areas, and letting them spread out enough that the timers work better. That may be an option at Beckley, and it sounds like they are looking at it.

The RO's are just about as good and nice as in Morganton, which sets the standard for all the matches I've attended through the years. Although, I honestly have only had one RO ever that was a jerk. I will not say where, because the poor guy may have been having a bad day and is probably a great guy any other time!

I think Beckley is really top-notch, especially for such a short history with GSSF.

Don At PC
08-14-2012, 09:25
I hate to sound stupid and I am truely not trying to be a smart a-- but what is a Rock River Glock,"I handled the New River Glock Sunday"? Sorry but I have never heard of it and I have been shooting Glocks for 12 years.

Don

DannyR
08-14-2012, 10:00
It is a Glock that was dropped into the New River, where it spent 7 months before being discovered.

The Highlander
08-14-2012, 15:27
I hate to sound stupid and I am truely not trying to be a smart a-- but what is a Rock River Glock,"I handled the New River Glock Sunday"? Sorry but I have never heard of it and I have been shooting Glocks for 12 years.

Don

It isn't a Glock "model," it was lost by a rafter in the New River for about 9 months in the water before being found. It is owned by one of the RO's at Beckley. The steel is rough, the Tenifer is gone, the frame is a little chewed up, and it just looks like it has been through the war. But cleaned up, and with new recoil spring and a couple other small parts, it still fires. Amazing guns!

GlockEyeDoc
08-14-2012, 17:35
Had an awesome time at my first gssf match this weekend. I plan on doing a lot better next time I get to shoot, but i guess we all do, right. Thanks to BGC for being such good hosts and to all the volunteers.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

ImpeachObama
08-14-2012, 21:56
Thanks to the hosting club and all the volunteers. The weather was great and it was a good time. Unfortunately, the drive is long and I got home at 2:30am Monday. Got up and went to work about an hour late, but that was okay.

youngann
08-15-2012, 05:17

Don

Don, it's a Glock 17 that was lost in the New River for about a year (?). Someone found it and, I forget who bought it, but he had it at the Beckley match last weekend.

Considering what it's been through, it really wasn't in bad condition. It was given a thorough cleaning and most of the parts were replaced so it's definitely shootable. The barrel was quite pitted so accuracy may suffer a little but, once that's replaced, it'll be as good as new.

Don At PC
08-15-2012, 07:01
Don, it's a Glock 17 that was lost in the New River for about a year (?). Someone found it and, I forget who bought it, but he had it at the Beckley match last weekend.

Considering what it's been through, it really wasn't in bad condition. It was given a thorough cleaning and most of the parts were replaced so it's definitely shootable. The barrel was quite pitted so accuracy may suffer a little but, once that's replaced, it'll be as good as new.

Thanks for the info. I was also reading it wrong myself. I was reading it to mean it was a New Glock that was being made by Rock River. I had heard a couple times about a Glock that was dropped in a river or lake but just never knew the name of the body of water. Now I understand. Those Glocks are pretty tough.

Don

youngann
08-15-2012, 07:16
7 months before being discovered.

for about 9 months

for about a year

Give it a couple more days and this Glock will have been in the water "for about 10 years".

bryandover
08-15-2012, 08:08
Once the story goes before 1986 it's going to be hard to believe.

youngann
08-15-2012, 08:15

Oh, I'm sure someone could spin it and make it believable.

BTW...great shooting at WV & OH. Very nicely done!

bryandover
08-15-2012, 08:46
Oh, I'm sure someone could spin it and make it believable.

BTW...great shooting at WV & OH. Very nicely done!

Thanks, but two fast trips to the same area that far from Missouri with Area3 in Grand Island NE in between was a little too much for me. After saying that I'm off to Greeley Friday. I never said I was smart.

The Highlander
08-15-2012, 15:26
Give it a couple more days and this Glock will have been in the water "for about 10 years".

It is a little like a fish story.....

My comment of 9 months was from the gentleman that now owns the gun. As I recall, he said that was "about" how long it had been in the River. I think the Glock Report has a story on it, if anyone cares to look it up.

Bob F.
08-16-2012, 21:18
Final note (maybe): We're missing 2 timers, a PACT & a CED 7000. Both should have "BGC" & a number engraved on them. Also missing my brand new stapler, can't remember the brand, think it starts w/ "D", not Arrow or Swingline.

If any of these show up in your gear, e-mail me @ frontb@suddenlink.net.

Thanks.
Bob

Glockrunner
08-17-2012, 04:58
Final note (maybe): We're missing 2 timers, a PACT & a CED 7000. Both should have "BGC" & a number engraved on them. Also missing my brand new stapler, can't remember the brand, think it starts w/ "D", not Arrow or Swingline.

Thanks.
Bob

There was a timer problem at the 5 to GLOCK stage Saturday morning bright & early. Chris instructed one of the RO's to go to his trailer and get another (GSSF) timer.

The RO might have inadvertantly left the CED7000 in the trailer maybe? Just a guess.

BamaTrooper
08-17-2012, 08:26

Thanks.
Bob

Milton?
Office Space: Milton I believe you have my stapler - YouTube

9mmmountaineer
08-18-2012, 20:40
Hey guys I'm from the Lewisburg area, and I was interested in looking for shooting matches near me. What kind does beckley offer? I've never shot in a match before

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Glockrunner
08-19-2012, 05:21
Hey guys I'm from the Lewisburg area, and I was interested in looking for shooting matches near me. What kind does beckley offer? I've never shot in a match before

Try their clube site:http://www.beckleygunclub.com/

mike g35
08-19-2012, 05:40
There are a lot of good clubs in WV. Putnam County Gun Club, Summit Point, and of course Beckley Gun Club. Here's the link to Putnam Co. (pistol division), www.putnamshootingsports.com Ashland Gun Club is nice also, www.agcpd.com.

9mmmountaineer
08-19-2012, 17:08
Thanks for the info guys

Bob F.
08-20-2012, 20:34
Hey 9mm: BGC has a 3-gun match this Sat (8/18). Starts @ 10:00. Come & watch, or shoot. Open to the public, $20 entry. I'll shoot, probably finish last!! But I'll have fun!!!

9mmmountaineer
08-21-2012, 06:46
I am looking for a stock for my mossberg. Not the best shot gun for a 3 gun but you use what you have. I might come up and watch

Love my G19c

kyglockshooter 2.0
08-25-2012, 10:13

Come bryan i think its easy to believe at 86, perfectly logical its 85 thats hard to believe.

kyglockshooter 2.0
08-25-2012, 10:18
Closest comparison would be trying to set up 8 lanes of fire in a basketball arena.

Do they all have to be in the same area, because at louisvilles yum center we have like 3 different courts in one building so it seems easy to do. Im joking

Bob F.
08-26-2012, 20:08
Bunch of pics up! Thanks, Bev. Go to beckleygunclub.com, click links & go to facebook. Probably an easier way but I'm a little better w/ guns than computers!!