I certainly don't need this! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I certainly don't need this!

okie
08-11-2012, 07:22
:dunno:Well looks as though my Belkin battery back up has gone Kaput on me, I got up this morning and my computer wouldn't boot up, I did some power cord switching and it came on, so I guess I know what I have to do today:upeyes::badpc: BTW what's a good battery back up these days, that won't break my bank, do you have to spend more than a C note, or do I even need battery backup:dunno:

Buki192327
08-11-2012, 12:24
Sorry about your problem, okie. :crying:

Dalton Wayne
08-11-2012, 12:34
I have a battery B/U it's nice for when the power blinks ( it does that a lot here in Florida) you don't lose what you are working on other then that I see no need for one...

costanza187
08-11-2012, 12:36
Sorry to hear that, problems like that are expensive and a pain!

I used to have a battery backup myself. It was really cool, I had my modem/router/satellite dish receiver/tv plugged into it. I was so proud of myself. It worked fine for a few years, but when the UPS went bad WOW. It would still function as a power strip but it had some kind of "warning" alarm that would scream the whole time. It would get on your nerves at the other end of the house it was so loud :notlistening:

I unhooked that thing and threw it out, just for the peace and quiet.

jtmac
08-11-2012, 12:41
Batteries are a "wear part". They don't last forever.

The need for a battery backup is to make sure that you can shut down properly when the power goes out, so you don't lose data. If you don't typically work on documents that you'd cry over if you didn't hit "save" before something happening, you'll probably be fine going without. Modern filesystems handle unexpected shutdowns pretty well, so the odds of losing data just because your computer lost power are pretty slim.

Check eBay for replacement batteries, though. You might be able to find one pretty cheap.

robin303
08-11-2012, 12:45
I never needed one. If you had blackouts all the time and wanted to play on the PC during a blackout I would maybe get one but if it is a blackout I might not have the web anyway. I can't see myself on my CAD program with a flashlight.

md2lgyk
08-11-2012, 12:51
Both of our home PCs are laptops. No UPS necessary.

Tackle
08-11-2012, 13:03
APC battery backups are what I recommend to my customers. Cost around $70 from Best Buy. You may only need new batteries in yours, if you have a batteries plus (store) around you could swing in and see if they can test them.

Battery backups can not only provide a few minutes of power for your PC should you lose power, but it also protects against brownouts and surges which can fry parts of your PC that will cost more to replace than the battery backup costs.

It's better to have one than to not have one.

Tackle
08-11-2012, 13:06
I never needed one. If you had blackouts all the time and wanted to play on the PC during a blackout I would maybe get one but if it is a blackout I might not have the web anyway. I can't see myself on my CAD program with a flashlight.

The battery backups for home use typically do not run for very long on battery, 20-30 minutes at max. Depending on the age of the battery, it could only be a few minutes. There is probably an equation to figure out how long a certain backup can supply power by figuring out total draw of powered on components.

janice6
08-11-2012, 13:07
My best use of a UPC battery backup was to power the TV when the power went out. It faced the front window so I could just gall the neighbors watching it for 1/2 hour while they were all dark.

okie
08-11-2012, 13:32
APC battery backups are what I recommend to my customers. Cost around $70 from Best Buy. You may only need new batteries in yours, if you have a batteries plus (store) around you could swing in and see if they can test them.

Battery backups can not only provide a few minutes of power for your PC should you lose power, but it also protects against brownouts and surges which can fry parts of your PC that will cost more to replace than the battery backup costs.

It's better to have one than to not have one.We don't have a battery plus store here, Best Buy has an APC 350 on sale for 50 bucks. We do get power surges here sometimes:shocked:

jpa
08-11-2012, 13:45
My best use of a UPC battery backup was to power the TV when the power went out. It faced the front window so I could just gall the neighbors watching it for 1/2 hour while they were all dark.

ROTFL...I love it. :rofl:

Not a bad idea. Maybe I'll get a UPS and plug my dsl modem and router into it and sit on the front lawn on my laptop.

Hauptmann6
08-11-2012, 14:39
You should be able to replace the battery. Find out how to take it out, and take it to a batteries plus. They will get you a new one for about a third of what a new setup will be.

srhoades
08-11-2012, 15:04
Cyberpower makes very good and very affordable battery backups. I now buy them instead of the now overpriced APC's.

Amazon.com: CyberPower CP825LCD Intelligent LCD 825VA 450W Desktop UPS: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rTFYcextL.@@AMEPARAM@@41rTFYcextL

okie
08-11-2012, 16:15
You should be able to replace the battery. Find out how to take it out, and take it to a batteries plus. They will get you a new one for about a third of what a new setup will be.

They are 10 bucks cheaper than a new UPS my friend, then the gas to run to Tulsa. :supergrin:

Hauptmann6
08-11-2012, 16:28
They are 10 bucks cheaper than a new UPS my friend, then the gas to run to Tulsa. :supergrin:

Wow, around here a new battery is around 35 and a new ups is around 100 for a decent one.

tous
08-11-2012, 17:51
Cyberpower makes very good and very affordable battery backups. I now buy them instead of the now overpriced APC's.

Amazon.com: CyberPower CP825LCD Intelligent LCD 825VA 450W Desktop UPS: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP825LCD-Intelligent-825VA-Desktop/dp/B000RZPK1M/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1344719149&sr=8-7&keywords=cyberpower)

I second Cyberpower products. :thumbsup:
I use them everywhere from under the desktops to my server/appliance racks and I am a satisfied customer ... with money in my pocket.

APC is an exemplary product, but expensive.

Brian Lee
08-11-2012, 17:57
Before you replace the entire unit, take it apart and see if the batteries can be replaced, since most can be, and probably with an easily available battery. I have two UPS units, and in the instructions that came with them, they never mentioned that the batteries go bad every two years or so, and the units stop working. For dirt cheap, you can get new sealed Lead Acid (gel) batteries, plug them in, and the units start working perfectly again every time. These are high powered back-ups that cost about 200 bucks each over 14 years ago, and I've replaced the 12V batteries several times. They're still going strong. (No soldering - just slip on connectors.)

Yours probably just has bad batteries that won't hold a charge anymore, and everything else still works. If you were going to throw it away anyway, might as well rip it open and see what's in there... It probably fixes easier than you'd expect.

BAILIFF
08-11-2012, 18:00
http://www.walmart.com/ip/CyberPower-600VA-340W-Intelligent-LCD-Battery-Backup-UPS/10250452

:upeyes::whistling::supergrin::faint::tongueout:

jpa
08-13-2012, 00:37
What does everyone think of the TrippLite brand UPS? I've been thinking of getting one to plug my DSL modem, router and NAS into. Best Buy has one on sale for like $45, I was thinking that would be plenty just to keep things running until I can shut everything off properly.