Just picked up a mec 600 Jr [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up a mec 600 Jr

vafish
08-11-2012, 11:36
Plan on loading up some of the Lee 12 ga slugs I have been casting.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Kentucky Shooter
08-11-2012, 14:36
Plan on loading up some of the Lee 12 ga slugs I have been casting.

Never loaded slugs so cant help you there, but will say the Mec 600 Jr is a great loader. I bought mine in 1982 and it is still going strong! I hope you like it as well as I do.

Three-Five-Seven
08-11-2012, 17:10
Mec 600 Jr. is one of the best tools I own. Never breaks down. Makes great shells. Is fool proof, unless you drop the shot with the shell at another station (don't ask).

I have no idea what wad column or process is used for loading slugs. Let us know what you figure out when you get to it.

Love, love, love the 600 Jr.

norton
08-11-2012, 19:35
Bought a Mec Sizemaster last fall. I loaded about 600 shotshells with it. Works great. Yours will too.

WiskyT
08-11-2012, 20:22
I load the Lee 1oz with a Loadall II. I've used the load listed for AA5 from the Lee chart and while I didn't chrono it, it had mucho recoil. I much prefer a 1oz trap load with Red Dot at about 1200fps. Accuracy with both loads was about the same, printer paper at 50 yards. This was from a smooth bore Mossberg 18.5" barrel.

You can substitute a 1oz slug for 1oz trap loads no problem as slugs generate slightly less pressure than a shot charge. The Loadall instructions have data that allows you to mix and match components within certain limits so you don't have to be frustrated with data that always seems to have one component you can't find.

I'm not able to drive tacks with my slug loads, but they are fine for defensive practice and general banging away.

ETA: Here's the Lee table

www.reloadbench.com/downloads/pdf-files/lee/LA1070.pdf

vafish
08-23-2012, 06:03
I loaded up my first dozen shotgun rounds last night.

I had picked up some powder and wads at bass pro on Sunday. Turns out I bought the wrong wads for the powder I bought.

After a lot of research I went with a 1 ounce shot load recipie and replaced the shot with a slug. So they should be a pretty light load. 1,200 fps.

2 of the shells ended up with funny bulged sides. I think I got the wad petals folded under when I inserted the slug. The hulls had been stepped on and sizing them didn't straighten them out perfectly.

I should get to the range on Friday to try them out. Saturday I should be able to pick up the right wads for the heavy loads. Then I'll make up some teeth rattling loads.

WiskyT
08-23-2012, 06:41
Put the slug into the wad, then insert the wad into the shell. You won't pinch anything and it is much easier. Also, you can get bulges if the wad/powder fit in the case is too close in terms of volume. Red Dot is very bulky, if I use a full load of it, in Winchester hulls, I get a wrinkle. With Rem hulls it fits.

sellersm
08-23-2012, 12:31
+1 to what WiskyT said. Enjoy!!!

vafish
08-23-2012, 14:25
Put the slug into the wad, then insert the wad into the shell. You won't pinch anything and it is much easier. Also, you can get bulges if the wad/powder fit in the case is too close in terms of volume. Red Dot is very bulky, if I use a full load of it, in Winchester hulls, I get a wrinkle. With Rem hulls it fits.

Don't I have to seat the wad first?

The mec600 press has whatever it is called with a pressure indicator when seating the wad.

Not sure why those first couple of shells were very tough to insert the slug. Later shells the slug dropped in very easy.

WiskyT
08-23-2012, 19:42
I don't know how to use the MEC. I think, based on what I've read, and it seems correct based on my very limited SG reloading, that wad pressure is kind of a gimmick. The crimp is what determines wad pressure. I basicaly find it impossible to fit the slug into the was after the wad is seated. The wad is too tight at that point. If you can seat the wad and slug as an assembly, it will make things much easier.

freakshow10mm
08-23-2012, 21:13
I load slugs in the 20ga. Most of the data require the removal of the wad petals. The Lyman manual has wad pressure recommendations for the MEC machines. I have mine set according to that and never had issue.

vafish
08-24-2012, 12:11
Well just fired off my first few slugs.
Was missing a part on my tripod so I didn't get to chrono them. They felt about like a 1 oz trap load.

Group size from the rifled barrel was about 3 inches for 5 shots. From the smooth barrel almost 5 inches.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/utf-8BSU1BRzA5MDQuanBn.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/utf-8BSU1BRzA5MDMuanBn.jpg

Weird thing, first shot from both barrels was a flyer way right.

StaTiK
08-25-2012, 09:58
Well just fired off my first few slugs.
Was missing a part on my tripod so I didn't get to chrono them. They felt about like a 1 oz trap load.

Group size from the rifled barrel was about 3 inches for 5 shots. From the smooth barrel almost 5 inches.

At what distance? The target has "25ft" printed on it, is that the distance you used?
-StaTiK-

vafish
08-25-2012, 13:22
At what distance? The target has "25ft" printed on it, is that the distance you used?
-StaTiK-

No, sorry 25 yards. Almost tough to see the little dot at that range.