Trail Mix [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trail Mix

RWBlue
08-11-2012, 15:10
As I continue to try to get back into shape...
and
As I prep for my very long bicycle ride...

I am thinking about trail mix today.

Has anyone looked into what a good trail mix should contain? I am thinking about this from a health prospective, not a this tastes good prospective.

Is there a benefit to having sunflower seeds vs. nuts or pineapple vs. ...?

Is there a perfect pre-packaged trailmix?
If not a perfect pre-packaged mix, what proportions make a perfect pre-packaged mix?

DustyJacket
08-11-2012, 15:42
If you are older, you may wish to avoid sunflower seeds. They get caught in diverticula and can cause pain or worse.

Almonds are better for you than peanuts.

It may not be the healthiest, but we buy the big bag at Costco........

Catshooter
08-11-2012, 16:01
For survival point of view of a long bicycle ride, I would want lots of calories in my mix. Lots. "Healthy" would come a distant second. I would take a trail mix that I like and add a ton of peanut M&Ms.

I would also get a mix that I like. In a survival sit, things are bad enough without making them worse by having to eat crap I don't like. They'll be plenty enough of that.

YMMV.

Cat

Dexters
08-11-2012, 16:07
As I continue to try to get back into shape...
and
As I prep for my very long bicycle ride...

I am thinking about trail mix today.

Has anyone looked into what a good trail mix should contain? I am thinking about this from a health prospective, not a this tastes good prospective.

Is there a benefit to having sunflower seeds vs. nuts or pineapple vs. ...?

Is there a perfect pre-packaged trailmix?
If not a perfect pre-packaged mix, what proportions make a perfect pre-packaged mix?

Don't re-invent the wheel.

http://gritandglimmer.com/7-tips-for-endurance-nutrition/

http://www.eatingfree.com/newtrition/nutripedia/did-you-know/nutrition-for-endurance-cycling.aspx

I'm balancing loosing 10lbs with getting faster on the bike.

Before ride:
- peanut butter sandwich

During Ride
- Gatorade - 50% water, 50% Gatorade
- Powerbar
- Powerbar Gel
- Powerbar Harvest (or a Cliff Bar)

After
- Heavy on protean

Water, electrolytes etc

I'm doing 65miles at about 13/14 mph

RWBlue
08-11-2012, 16:07
For survival point of view of a long bicycle ride, I would want lots of calories in my mix. Lots. "Healthy" would come a distant second. I would take a trail mix that I like and add a ton of peanut M&Ms.

I would also get a mix that I like. In a survival sit, things are bad enough without making them worse by having to eat crap I don't like. They'll be plenty enough of that.

YMMV.

Cat

Eat what you store, store what you eat, but if you are not eating healthy you will not live long enough to get to a survival situation.

As far as specifics, I don't know if chocolate (M&Ms) will be part of the trail mix. If it is hot...I will stick to non-melty things.

RWBlue
08-11-2012, 16:24
Don't re-invent the wheel.

http://gritandglimmer.com/7-tips-for-endurance-nutrition/

http://www.eatingfree.com/newtrition/nutripedia/did-you-know/nutrition-for-endurance-cycling.aspx

Water, electrolytes etc

This is like many sites. It is about daily exercise or races. It isn't from an unsupported tour mentality with camping.

And doesn't answer the question about trail mix. There are several hiking sites which may have something better, but....maybe not. They don't appear to have any science behind them.

Dexters
08-11-2012, 16:29
This is like many sites. It is about daily exercise or races. It isn't from an unsupported tour mentality with camping.

Not really. What they talk about there are the basics of nutrition.

You adjust the quantities according to the physical exertion.

Why are you looking at a hiking site if you are biking?

RWBlue
08-11-2012, 17:53
Not really. What they talk about there are the basics of nutrition.

You adjust the quantities according to the physical exertion.

Why are you looking at a hiking site if you are biking?

A long multi-day hike has a lot more in common with long distance multi-day biking touring than does the bicycling sites which are filled generally filled with people looking for speed and when the subject of tour comes up they immediately think Tour de France.

Happypuppy
08-11-2012, 18:12
I carry trail mix while hiking and such. I am pretty basic 1/3 fruit for glucose , 1/3 protein and fats with nuts. The other 1/3 I like a granola type or another cereal adding some fiber and more carbs

Biking is a bit different. I tend to dry out faster and hydration is even more important. I use a camelback with a hydration mix

Sent via Mental Power

Dexters
08-11-2012, 18:36
A long multi-day hike has a lot more in common with long distance multi-day biking touring than does the bicycling sites which are filled generally filled with people looking for speed and when the subject of tour comes up they immediately think Tour de France.

Wrong again. The nutritional concepts are the same.

I bike and I climb 14,000ft in Colorado the nutritional concepts are the same as to what to eat when.

You have the need to re-invent the wheel and make all the mistakes a beginner makes - have fun with that.

RWBlue
08-11-2012, 19:48
Wrong again. The nutritional concepts are the same.

I bike and I climb 14,000ft in Colorado the nutritional concepts are the same as to what to eat when.

You have the need to re-invent the wheel and make all the mistakes a beginner makes - have fun with that.

I am not going to argue with you. I will just ask you to go away because you don't want to discuss Trail Mix which this thread is about. And you refereed me to websites that don't want to discuss trail mixes.

bdcochran
08-11-2012, 20:13
One size does not fit all.

1. whatever you may eat, make sure that you clean your teeth afterwards with at clean water. Take apple juice. People think that it is healthy so they feed it to infants in a bottle. Ok. Go speak to a pediatrician. You will be told that the sugar will rot the teeth. Had a mother in a divorce case who kept feeding apple juice to a two year old who ended up with root canals because of it.

2. Research the nuts that you eat. I no longer eat almonds (allergic), peanuts (not healthy) or cashews (unhealthy). What you may think are "nuts" may actually not be "nuts" except in popular lore.

3. I don't eat foods with raisins in them. Same problem. Too much sugar that can rot the teeth.

4. Are you allergic to coconut or coconut oil? Well a lot of trail mixes have them - and I am allergic to it.

5. Look at the salt content of the trail mix.

6. Look at the list of preservatives in the "trail mix" Do you really think that before commercial trail mixes and granola bars that the natives used those same preservatives?

People have let themselves be brainwashed into believing that the magical words "trail mix" or "granola bar" means "healthy".

emt1581
08-11-2012, 20:17
GORP!

-Emt1581

Bolster
08-13-2012, 16:52
Agree re Good Old Raisins and Peanuts (GORP).

I like honey nut roasted peanuts with my raisins. I store them separately in two bags then mix in my hand and eat. This keeps the nuts from getting soft from residual moisture in the raisins.

The sports nutritionists I know think that peanuts are something of a miracle food. So people are very divided on their healthfulness. I think they are a wonderful, healthy food, if you don't overdo it (fat) and you eat quality packaged peanuts.

Sugar is sugar, to your body. You can eat more of a less sweet fruit, or less of a more sweet fruit. Raisins are indeed sweet, but, that's the point.

I was doing some "extreme" contracting work, putting on a roof in 104 degree weather, pulling 8 hours in that. I found that GORP was probably my favorite snack. Salty and sweet, heavy with calories, get a handful or two down before the boss started yelling for help. Also very inexpensive.

You can add any other dried fruit you like but raisins are surely good when your energy is flagging.

RWBlue
08-13-2012, 22:48
I am not a big fan of GORP. Don't get me wrong it might be a perfect balance of ....., it is a taste/texture thing. If I am going to be snacking on something I want to be satisfied taste/texture wise afterwards.

Looks like I can build anything I want at nuts.com

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-14-2012, 06:01
For info about touring on a bike, try these two:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/

Plenty of good info and knowledge on both. Also, "League of American Bicyclists" used to have good info, but I have not been on their site for a long time.. they went a bit to Political/PC for me.

greatwun
08-14-2012, 08:00
3. I don't eat foods with raisins in them. Same problem. Too much sugar that can rot the teeth.

Are you properly brushing and flossing after meals?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PaulMason
08-14-2012, 08:11
I am not a big fan of GORP. Don't get me wrong it might be a perfect balance of ....., it is a taste/texture thing. If I am going to be snacking on something I want to be satisfied taste/texture wise afterwards.

Looks like I can build anything I want at nuts.com

Good site for ideas.

RWBlue
08-14-2012, 10:24
For info about touring on a bike, try these two:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/

Plenty of good info and knowledge on both. Also, "League of American Bicyclists" used to have good info, but I have not been on their site for a long time.. they went a bit to Political/PC for me.

Those are good sites. I have spent a lot of time there.