Guidelines for load development [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Guidelines for load development

hubcap500
08-11-2012, 20:39
If you're going to use case expansion for reading pressure, here's the method I suggest. Buy a large lot of factory ammo. Wait 6 mo. to a year to see if there are any recalls on that lot of ammo for pressure or other issues. Test a statistically significant sample of it in the test gun. Pull the bullets and primers from the remainder of the lot and use it for your own load development, again using a statistically significant sample size. This way you have a reference to a known safe standard. Make sense?

Yondering
08-11-2012, 21:52
Sure, if you're made of money and have a lot of free time. It doesn't need to be that hard though.

ctious
08-11-2012, 22:17
I like my way better. Work up till the case blows or smiles so bad u can't believe it did not blow then drop half a grain. Make that your max. Seems good for me. Lol. Just shoot with a glove and no mag in the gun.

hubcap500
08-15-2012, 09:47
You wouldn't need to spend a lot of money. Just test your max. loads against the factory loads. 1 box (of 50) could feasibly work for 4 different test loads. Cheaper than a new gun or surgery or worse.

_The_Shadow
08-15-2012, 13:04
I usually work up very easyily 1/10 th of a grain at a time as I go past book loads or working up from below where others have said they have gone.

Although Some people have shared their knowledge/experiences, like Mike Willard of SwampFox Ammo where he actually stated what he was loading to be sold.

I wish Kevin Underwood would share some of his loads with the handloading community, as he has probably learned as much for the handloading community.
Just like SwampFox there will always be people who don't roll their own ammo to buy the products. Hey even some who handload still buy his ammo!

Taterhead
08-15-2012, 15:04
Buffalo Bore and Underwood use Starline brass, so I agree that they are a good reference point since I almost exclusively use Starline. I don't pull factory loads for comparison, but I do keep spent cases onhand for reference. Granted there might be lot-to-lot differences between the cases loaded by the manufacturers and the cases I purchased personally. Those are variations that I am willing to work with since I don't load to the ragged edge of sanity.

TDC20
08-19-2012, 12:16
Buffalo Bore and Underwood use Starline brass, so I agree that they are a good reference point since I almost exclusively use Starline. I don't pull factory loads for comparison, but I do keep spent cases onhand for reference. Granted there might be lot-to-lot differences between the cases loaded by the manufacturers and the cases I purchased personally. Those are variations that I am willing to work with since I don't load to the ragged edge of sanity.
I agree 100% with Taterhead on this. And I would further say that I trust the consistency of my "hot" loads better than I trust the consistency of factory loaded ammo, since I weigh all the charges that go into my hot loads.

My approach is to stick with the best slow powders (A#9, Blue Dot, Longshot, 800-X) and load to measured (chronographed) velocities that make sense for a given bullet weight. And by "making sense", well, that's up to the hand loader to figure out. There has been a lot of good data posted here on this forum, but I believe there's also a lot of over-pressure data that has been posted by hot-rodders. I think primers popping out and oval shaped case heads leave little to the argument that this is true.

Just remember this...as I've said before...everything engineered has a built in safety factor. That's why some manufacturers fire "proof loads" in new firearms. Just because it hasn't blown up your gun yet does not mean it's safe. You could be well over the red line and not even realize it. So, IMHO, it really doesn't pay to run to the ragged edge of insanity.

When I really feel the need for speed, I take my .44 mag to the range and run 50 -100 rounds through it. That usually satisfies the itch for a while. :cool:

Be smart and be safe guys, and enjoy the 10mm for what it is.