Has anyone had to lose weight to cc IWB? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had to lose weight to cc IWB?

defend2nd
08-11-2012, 20:54
Hello everyone,

I'm mostly curious. Has anyone had to lose weight to conceal carry in an inside-the-waistband holster?

My range buddy has decided he will begin carrying concealed, but he doesn't want to get rid of his already tight at the waist pants, and I don't think he wants to spend time and money on acquiring new pants. I don't think he has much of an option. Anyway, it got me thinking, do a lot of people go through this?

David

PettyOfficer
08-11-2012, 21:05
Not yet, but I want to if that helps none whatsoever.

Gray_Rider
08-11-2012, 21:15
I was unable to carry IWB for many years and about 6 yrs ago I had to give up sugar and I lost (and kept off) aprox. 13 to 15 #. I'm about 185 now, and yes, I can now carry IWB quite comfortably due to the weight loss. My 'love handles' tended to overlap the IWB holstered gun and the gun rode up under my ribs making IWB out of the question.

I just came in from dinner out with my wife and son and my Glock 30 was unnoticed and quite comfortable under a T shirt and jeans shorts. In addition, my KT P32 was in a front pants pocket too!

P.S. In my case, I have to get my slacks/shorts/jeans/dress pants about 2" bigger than normal, but when you can carry a Glock 30 here in sunshine land with shorts and a T shirt on.....

(Sound of the Rebel Yell)

Gray_Rider

UtahIrishman
08-11-2012, 21:21
yes I'd actually let my permit expire because my clothes had gotten so tight I couldn't carry with the pants I had. (Renewed just this month)

I originally tried to fool myself that the weight gain was from 'weight lifting' and that I was a svelte combat ready monster.

Alas how not so true. I've lost ten pounds and now can carry IWB again without trouble. Planning on losing another ten-fifteen. I 'might' go down a size then from 36 to 34. But I may not as its so much easier to carry with loose pants.

hoghunter82
08-11-2012, 21:33
Funny timing on this thread. I had a wife beater tank top on and tucked my P30L right in the middle of my back. I walked into the room and asked my wife if she could see the gun. Her response was "yes, but your love handles draw attention away from the gun".
I guess this was her not so subtle way of telling me I gotta lose weight !!!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

97harley
08-12-2012, 09:52
I now carry because I've lost so much weight. Going from near 6 foot 270 or so to 195 I feel like I can't defend myself like I used to. Not that I have encounters that I've ever gotten physical with anyone but always felt at that size, being able to bench 400 nobody would mess with me. My job brings me into situations where I'm around people I don't know and places I don't know and now feel much more secure carrying. I would think being big would make it easier to cc, not harder.:dunno:

Keoking
08-12-2012, 09:54
Has anyone had to lose weight to conceal carry in an inside-the-waistband holster?

The way I see it, I gained weight so that I could carry OWB. Stop being so damn negative. :supergrin:

Deaf Smith
08-12-2012, 15:21
Not me.... but if I keep eating like I am I'll have to do something drastic!

Deaf

jakebrake
08-12-2012, 15:27
i have lost weight, and realized carrying iwb helps my pants stay up. and, i don't have to buy new pants.

see? it's all in how you look at it.

steve581581
08-12-2012, 15:38
My pants started becoming really tight so I cut out soda and I've lost about ten lb's in the last ten days. I'm still blaming it on the misses shrinking my laundry.

jakebrake
08-12-2012, 16:00
My pants started becoming really tight so I cut out soda and I've lost about ten lb's in the last ten days. I'm still blaming it on the misses shrinking my laundry.

milk and peanut butter, i cut those 2 things out, went to a quai-diabetic diet ( eat every few hours) dropped a lot in a hurry.

feels good when those pants are suddenly huge on ya

DTGlock20
08-12-2012, 16:56
I can cut out beer for about two weeks and notice a HUGE improvement in comfort when carrying IWB. With an extra 10 lbs, it's a G26, but when the spare tire shrinks, the G19 becomes the weapon of choice. Sucks cutting out the beer though......

ScottieG59
08-12-2012, 23:42
Recently, I bought pants 2 inches oversized for more comfortable IWB carry. In no time, I expanded to fill the space.

When I was in my 20s, I wore 27 inch pants and they were baggy on me. A few decades later, I wear 38 and it is snug.

We all have reasons for this. Ultimately, it is too much intake and not enough exercise.

I will not go bigger on clothes. If I do, I expect heart disease or other health issues will kill me before anything else.

So, I am one who will lose weight and the ability to carry concealed will be an added benefit.

Happypuppy
08-13-2012, 01:31
Just get bigger or the relaxed size. No matter what your waist is I think you will find it more comfortable.

Sent via Mental Power

ithaca_deerslayer
08-13-2012, 06:15
No matter what your waist size is, you probably need the next size up to carry IWB.

If losing weight so you can carry is motivation, fine. Or just buy 2" bigger pants.

Either way :)

TheExplorer
08-13-2012, 06:36
Funny timing on this thread. I had a wife beater tank top on and tucked my P30L right in the middle of my back. I walked into the room and asked my wife if she could see the gun. Her response was "yes, but your love handles draw attention away from the gun".
I guess this was her not so subtle way of telling me I gotta lose weight !!!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

:rofl:Nothing like pure honesty.

jeanderson
08-13-2012, 08:45
Just getting my CCW and haven't chosen a carry method yet. IWB is not an option with my current wardrobe of 36 waist pants I struggle to fit in.

Seems like a good excuse to drop 15-20 pounds - then I could carry IWB. In the meantime, I'll be carrying in my computer bag (I know many advise against that) or outside the waistband when the weather gets colder and I will have on a jacket.

FL Airedale
08-13-2012, 09:08
I didn't have to lose weight to carry IWB, but I did and it helps.

I had a 42" waist and lost weight. I'm a 36" now and I usually wear 38" pants. IWB is very comfortable.

Lior
08-13-2012, 09:40
For my current rig, I lost 15 lbs a month or so ago so I could carry IWB without changing my wardrobe. Trouble is that I have since gained most of the weight back. Bummer.

For the record, I CCW a CZ SP01 Shadow these days. 3 lbs of Czech steel.

John Rambo
08-13-2012, 10:05
No. If I ever became that morbidly obese I'd stop eating, turn vegan and workout constantly, or have a medical procedure done to correct the situation.

But I do buy my pants larger in order to accommodate my gun. Otherwise I have to leave the button unbuttoned and let the belt hold them up. Not too big of a deal, its just one size up, so I can still wear them and they fit just fine when not carrying, as long as I wear a belt. Shirt selection is more about length than bagginess, any normal fitting shirt hides my gun just fine. It just needs to not ride up and show the world what I'm packing when I move.

concretefuzzynuts
08-13-2012, 10:25
Look at it as a roof covering your "tools".

Patchman
08-13-2012, 13:57
If anything, CCWing is directly linked to weight gain.

I've been CCWing since 1999 and have put on about 20 pounds during that time. :supergrin:

rmodel65
08-13-2012, 14:07
im 6ft 380# and i carry IWB...in fact im carrying IWB right now which is pretty rare for the summer but im job hunting today

Goldendog Redux
08-13-2012, 14:11
Her response was "yes, but your love handles draw attention away from the gun".

Think long and hard about your response the next time she asks you if her pants make her butt look big

MF

GRIMLET
08-13-2012, 14:50
I went up a size to accommodate my off duty firearm.
DONT DO IT!!
The extra size in the waist isn't worth the slack in the stride/butt.
Trust me on this.

Ok, I'm vain but I still keep Mrs G happy.

I'm sexy and I know it!!!!

Hahahhahaha

97harley
08-13-2012, 20:14
I'll never carry IWB because I don't have an ass to hold up my pants now, never mind if I got 38's instead of 36's just to carry iwb. My wife and daughter tease me all the time about my lack of ass and I always remind them that they both make up for me in that department.:rofl:

NMPOPS
08-13-2012, 20:23
I've fought the weight battle all my adult life. Up and down, up and down. Luckily I prefer OTW carry.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2

MR57
08-14-2012, 01:02
Hello everyone,

I'm mostly curious. Has anyone had to lose weight to conceal carry in an inside-the-waistband holster?

My range buddy has decided he will begin carrying concealed, but he doesn't want to get rid of his already tight at the waist pants, and I don't think he wants to spend time and money on acquiring new pants. I don't think he has much of an option. Anyway, it got me thinking, do a lot of people go through this?

David
It's easy. You either buy larger pants or lose weight.