Storing fertilizer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Storing fertilizer

auto-5
08-12-2012, 07:37
I was just wonder what you guys keep on hand and how you store it so that long term it is still useful.

I was thinking about getting a few large bags of triple 10 during the winter when the prices were better.

Also any tips on storing herbicides and pesticides long term.

bdcochran
08-12-2012, 07:51
1. How you store fertilizer depends upon the type that you buy. As an example, animal poop. You want it aged and not raw when applied. It would burn plants if raw. Unfortunately, in the rush to keep down inventory, a bunch is packaged and sold raw. If you buy it and store it, it heats up. If stacked and stored improperly, it can cause a fire.
2. A number of fertilizers are hydroscopic. This means that it sucks in water if it gets wet. So, if you buy a bunch of improperly packaged fertilizers or the bags get cut, you will have a problem. (I am going to Home Depot for some commercial fertilizer within an hour. The amount of cut/spit/holed bags of fertilizer for sale is simply amazing). This is why you line you car before putting a "sealed" bag of fertilizer in the car.
3. A number of insecticides break down in storage. Depends upon what you are storing. My rule of thumb is to not buy more than a few months in advance. The exception are insecticides used for human application like deet.
4. Here is what you do. You rent a car and go on a trip. After the trip and before you turn in the rental, you go to Home Depot and buy 50 bags of fertilizer and haul it home in a few trips and store it in the driveway. Stinks like hell if it is animal poop, but my neighbor on that side is a jerk (I am too for storing it in the driveway near the concrete wall, but that is another story.). No danger from fire. Keeps the neighbors dogs off the lawn and out of the backyard.:wavey:

Bushflyr
08-12-2012, 15:22
Pour a little diesel on it. Keeps it fresh. :whistling:

JKDGabe
08-12-2012, 16:22
All my fertilizer is stored in a large pile, jumbled together. It gets sunshine and rain and once in a while I turn it.

The pesticides are produced by the cows. (Whey.)

auto-5
08-12-2012, 17:26
All my fertilizer is stored in a large pile, jumbled together. It gets sunshine and rain and once in a while I turn it.

The pesticides are produced by the cows. (Whey.)

Um yea I don't want a rancid pile of cow crap in my back yard.

Maine1
08-12-2012, 17:40

it ain't rancid cow crap...its FERTILIZER...

some of the best is chicken ****, pig **** is not bad either.

don't be a city boy.

banger
08-12-2012, 18:49
I don't know...

Why don't you just go up on the BATFE website and ask.

I'm sure you can get about 10 years to figure it out.

auto-5
08-12-2012, 19:51
it ain't rancid cow crap...its FERTILIZER...

some of the best is chicken ****, pig **** is not bad either.

don't be a city boy.

whatever I dont want to grow food I am going to eat in ****. It is a first world thing.

glock_19guy1983
08-12-2012, 20:13
I was just wonder what you guys keep on hand and how you store it so that long term it is still useful.

I was thinking about getting a few large bags of triple 10 during the winter when the prices were better.

Also any tips on storing herbicides and pesticides long term.

Triple is safe and you should have no problem storing a palet of it if you want. Keep it indoors and DRY. If you want to buy larger quantities at a lower price try the Farmer supply places like Agri-liance and Crop production services.

JKDGabe
08-13-2012, 06:43

Ignorance is bliss. I was referring to compost, fyi. Don't bother researching it, just enjoy the chemical laden produce and keep wondering why you have less organic matter, more pest problems and why you have to apply more and more to get the same results.

glock_19guy1983
08-13-2012, 06:50
Ignorance is bliss. I was referring to compost, fyi. Don't bother researching it, just enjoy the chemical laden produce and keep wondering why you have less organic matter, more pest problems and why you have to apply more and more to get the same results.

nothing wrong with dry fertilizer. Nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium are vital nutrients to plants and are all naturally occurring. Ill take a stable Triple 13 over a stinking compost pile in the back yard any day.

Bren
08-13-2012, 07:15

Yep, spoken like a guy prepared to survive the hard times.:rofl::rofl:

JKDGabe
08-13-2012, 07:42
Nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium are vital nutrients to plants and are all naturally occurring.

True on both points, but misleading. The form of the NPK in your triple 13 is not the same as the naturally occurring NPK. Synthetics will grow plants, yes, but it's a short term gain at a long term cost. It burns out organic matter and kills microbes. If you don't understand how valuable those two things are, you're in for a rough ride if you ever have to live off of what you grow yourself.

Ill take a stable Triple 13 over a stinking compost pile in the back yard any day.

Your choice, I'm an organic advocate, not an organic nazi. But you clearly don't know what compost is if you think it stinks. Fresh poop stinks, but that's only one component of compost.

kirgi08
08-13-2012, 07:54
whatever I don't want to grow food I am going to eat in ****. It is a first world thing.

Your gonna go hungry or refugee or worse.We keep compost piles and are gonna start raising rabbits next spring.

You don't realize all farms use fertilizers ta help growth.It's not **** it's nutrients that will help produce food in abundance.

We have 18mths of stored food x 2.The reason being is that will give us time ta put in a garden and reap the reward of doing so.If the garden fails/does poorly we have a second chance.

When one closes his mind it remains closed.Even in detriment of their own well being.'08.

Stevekozak
08-13-2012, 09:37
I too store my fertilizer in a pile in the weather. It all comes from the south ends of northbound horses. It only smells strange when it is fresh. And, man, will it grow some veggies!!!

Maine1
08-13-2012, 11:40
Um...OK.

won't eat veggies grown in "*****".

Ever grown anything?

By the time you see it, its been mixed into the soil and broken down, used as fuel for the plant.

besides...you WASH produce bought at the store, eh?

ever had skidmarks on your shorts? those were just fine after a WASHING...right?
All those ebola scare did not concern the fertilizer, it was the HANDLING.
used in compost, it turns into the best "sh@t' for growing "shi$T" you can 'git".

again...metrosexualism does not contribute to survivability.

glock_19guy1983
08-13-2012, 12:29
whatever I dont want to grow food I am going to eat in ****. It is a first world thing.

most likely you are eating food grown in **** every day. Chicken litter is a very popular and cheap fertilizer. The bigger farmers have it shipped in by the truck load. Enjoy your veggies:supergrin:

auto-5
08-13-2012, 19:26
Triple is safe and you should have no problem storing a palet of it if you want. Keep it indoors and DRY. If you want to buy larger quantities at a lower price try the Farmer supply places like Agri-liance and Crop production services.

Thank you. Sound much nicer than a **** pile in the back yard.

Woofie
08-13-2012, 23:29

Hehe. Did you know that the meat at the grocery store used to be a cute animal?

auto-5
08-14-2012, 16:34
Hehe. Did you know that the meat at the grocery store used to be a cute animal?

Yep but if you rolled it in excrement I wouldn't eat it. but knock yourself out.

glock_19guy1983
08-14-2012, 16:41
Yep but if you rolled it in excrement I wouldn't eat it. but knock yourself out.

never seen how pigs and chickens live eh?

JDSTG58
08-15-2012, 17:03

farmer-dave
08-15-2012, 17:52
I don't store fertilizer but alot of people keep tanks of 10-34 around. You can buy a portable trailer that holds 3 3000gal tanks. Only portable when empty.

glock_19guy1983
08-15-2012, 18:27
I don't store fertilizer but alot of people keep tanks of 10-34 around. You can buy a portable trailer that holds 3 3000gal tanks. Only portable when empty.

Most average gardeners dont need 100k lbs of liquid fertilizer though:whistling:

Woofie
08-16-2012, 08:51

Is that what you think compost is used for? No wonder you don't want to use it.

farmer-dave
08-16-2012, 20:20
Most average gardeners dont need 100k lbs of liquid fertilizer though:whistling:

None of my neighbors are average. :tongueout: