Sight selection, your choice for GSSF [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sight selection, your choice for GSSF

mike g35
08-12-2012, 12:15
Forgive me, I know this has been asked and addressed many times in the past but I'm interested in the here and now. After all there are alot of new sights on the market today. What sights are you using on your GSSF Glocks?
I got all my guns out a while ago and noticed that theres not one, NOT ONE, matching pair. Different front sight widths, brands , etc etc etc. Not good!!! I want to have a uniform sight picture on every gun and I'm interested to hear what everyone else is using. Please include front sight widths, any filing or painting, brand and model, fixed or adjustable, etc.. Thanks.

DannyR
08-12-2012, 12:41
The most popular brands, in no particular order, might be:

Heinie 320's
Dawson
Warren-Sevigny
Ameriglo

I believe Grady is using plain black target sights for GSSF. I like the Ameriglo black (0.150 notch) target rear and red (0.125) fiber optic front.

JTSmith
08-12-2012, 15:51
All of mine are stock, except for my 29SF. I have Ameriglo I-dot pros on it and I absolutely love them. They obviously aren't dedicated competition sights, but they worked great the one time I tried MajorSub with the 10mm.

ede
08-12-2012, 17:24
all black, fixed Heinie rear filed to around .180" wide and a .090 AmeriGlo front. I don't see where it's going to make much differance what kind of sights you have, still going to be a notch and post. Width of the opening and the front I can see having an effect. It's also not going to make much differance what everyone else is using, it matters what works for you. Try other guns and see what you like.

ron59
08-12-2012, 17:30
So... the fact that you have all these guns with different sights... which ones do you like the best? Then duplicate that on the other guns. Simple.

Then spend time with them.
If you spend all your time shooting an open gun with dot sight, you're never going to get good with iron sights. Period.

Dawson has a good page that explains why you might want a wider or narrower front sight, but I couldn't find it, but I'll try to paraphrase:
A WIDE front sight (think filling the entire notch) is usually best for pure accuracy, you don't have to "judge" if you have the blade dead center, if you dont' see "air", you're good.

A NARROW front sight is usually best for quick acquisitions, but doesn't give absolute accuracy, at least at speed.

I like the picture as provided by the Warren Sevignys, there is quite a bit of air on each side. Not the best for super accuracy, but a combination of speed and acceptable accuracy.

They are the only sights I've tried besides the Glock sights. I installed them and shot the **** out of them. That's how you get good with them.

Chromepulse
08-13-2012, 07:33
Ron, I find it's the exact opposite for me. A narrow front sight will give you more feedback on precision shots, but it's a little slower to get exactly right. A wide front sight is faster to pick up because you don't get as much feedback with the space around it, it just fills up the rear window.

I also use the Svigney competition sights. I like a gap of about 1/2 width of front sight on either side for a sight picture.

Don At PC
08-13-2012, 08:35
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=42733/Product/SIGHT-SET-FOR-GLOCK-reg-

Here is the sights on all my Glocks except of course my Dot Glocks. Great product for a sharpe front sight picture and great price.

Don

bryandover
08-13-2012, 17:57
:wow: I'm supposed to use the sights, I'm going to try that and see what happens. :supergrin: I do have Dawson 105 fiber front and Heinie rear.

Jack4321
08-13-2012, 19:52
I am like Ron I use the Warren Sevignys on all the Glocks I shoot in GSSF.

A Regular Joe
08-13-2012, 20:12
For some reason, I thought you have to use Glock sights in GSSF. I'm actually glad you don't! I like the Warren Sevignys. So, you can use any aftermarket sights?

mike g35
08-14-2012, 07:00
So... the fact that you have all these guns with different sights... which ones do you like the best? Then duplicate that on the other guns. Simple.

Then spend time with them.
If you spend all your time shooting an open gun with dot sight, you're never going to get good with iron sights. Period.

Dawson has a good page that explains why you might want a wider or narrower front sight, but I couldn't find it, but I'll try to paraphrase:
A WIDE front sight (think filling the entire notch) is usually best for pure accuracy, you don't have to "judge" if you have the blade dead center, if you dont' see "air", you're good.

A NARROW front sight is usually best for quick acquisitions, but doesn't give absolute accuracy, at least at speed.

I like the picture as provided by the Warren Sevignys, there is quite a bit of air on each side. Not the best for super accuracy, but a combination of speed and acceptable accuracy.

They are the only sights I've tried besides the Glock sights. I installed them and shot the **** out of them. That's how you get good with them.
I took your advice Ron and shot the guns I have to see what I shoot best. I have a G34 setup for USPSA production that had a .125w Dawson front and a Warren rear on it, I have a G17 setup with the same front but a Dawson adj rear, I shoot both well. I think for GSSF I'll stick with the 125w front and Dawson rear. But the question now is do I shoot with the FO front or not? I like the FOs shooting plates but I feel like it confuses the issue on paper. ?????

DannyR
08-14-2012, 07:03
Joe,

You can use almost any, but not all, aftermarket sights. Ghost rings are not allowed. Laser sights are not allowed.

ron59
08-14-2012, 07:57
I took your advice Ron and shot the guns I have to see what I shoot best. I have a G34 setup for USPSA production that had a .125w Dawson front and a Warren rear on it, I have a G17 setup with the same front but a Dawson adj rear, I shoot both well. I think for GSSF I'll stick with the 125w front and Dawson rear. But the question now is do I shoot with the FO front or not? I like the FOs shooting plates but I feel like it confuses the issue on paper. ?????

PM sent.

mike g35
08-14-2012, 13:02
PM sent.

And returned. Thanks Ron!!!:wavey:

A Regular Joe
08-14-2012, 13:29
Thanks Danny. I did go back and read the rules again. I'm going to get some new sights for my 19 soon. What I really need are new eyes!

DEJ/FL
08-15-2012, 17:17
Just something to think about, the front sight is the MOST important part of the sights! The rear is second, so in making a decision on the type of sights you should use, select the front sight you can acquire and see clearly! That's whats going to place your shots were you want them!!!:supergrin:

Dan:cool:

TJC
08-15-2012, 18:34
Wow, nobody uses Bomars anymore? I still have at least 1 G17 with Bomars on it. Still shoots quite well. In fact, these days it shoots better than I do. :rofl:

DEJ/FL
08-15-2012, 19:32
Tom, it could be that Bomar is no longer in business!:faint:
And the folks I know that have any are hanging on to them!:supergrin:
How is retirement treating you these days?

Dan:cool:

DannyR
08-15-2012, 19:42
Tom,

It's always good to hear from you. I think Grady uses plain black sights in GSSF.

VOLGRAD
08-15-2012, 19:42
Excellent post Ron.

Before you go swapping sights on a bunch of guns make SURE you really do have the "best for you" setup chosen first. Otherwise, you'll spend a bunch of money, time, and ammo regulating sights only to regret it later. I know, I've done that before.

I won't bother saying what my choice is as everyone is different and you already have some great suggestions from previous posts.

I would like to reiterate though don't just choose what you "shoot best". What I mean is don't just do some bench rest test groups or slow fired groups. You really need to find the best overall balance/compromise between accuracy and speed. Usually, what works best for extreme accuracy won't be best at speed and vice versa. Point in case, a bullseye set is great for accuracy but something like an XS Big Dots might be best for speed. Neither would be ideal for me for an action shooting sport or for a carry gun.

21 shooter
08-15-2012, 22:49
I have a 17L with Bomars on it. I just wish I had bought a few more sets of them way back when.

ede
08-16-2012, 03:46
Wow, nobody uses Bomars anymore? I still have at least 1 G17 with Bomars on it. Still shoots quite well. In fact, these days it shoots better than I do. :rofl:

BoMars and Millets for S&W revolvers are pretty hard to find. You can find BoMar clones, not so sure about a replacement for the Millets.

TJC
08-16-2012, 05:50
Dan, retirement is awesome. However I'm busier now than I ever was with the property, horses, dogs, etc. :wow:

Didn't know Bomar was out of business. Shows you how much handgun shooting I've been doing. :supergrin: Only time I shoot anything larger than a .22 pistol is when I am qualifying for my retired carry permit.

DanR, just wanted to make sure you knew I was still alive and well. :supergrin: Hope all is well with you and yours.

TJC
08-16-2012, 05:52
21 Shooter,

Probably 1 of the guns I wish I still had 1 of, a 17L. Can't believe at one time I had 6 brand new ones in my safe and now, not a 1.

Probably not something I would run out and buy but I do wish I still had at least 1. Oh well.

How goes the retirement/work gig?

21 shooter
08-16-2012, 21:03
21 Shooter,

Probably 1 of the guns I wish I still had 1 of, a 17L. Can't believe at one time I had 6 brand new ones in my safe and now, not a 1.

Probably not something I would run out and buy but I do wish I still had at least 1. Oh well.

How goes the retirement/work gig?

The 17L shoots great, could use a lesson or two from you on how to use it! Retirement gig still keeping me in powder and bullets. Sorry to hear you have it so tough these days. :rofl:

mike g35
08-21-2012, 16:50
UPDATE: I am switching to an all black rear and .125w all black front from Dawson Precision on all my GSSF guns and my 22 conversion. Then I'm going to shoot those sights and only those sights in GSSF for....well.....for as long as it takes to master them. I'm sticking to a FO front for USPSA though. I'm even considering only shooting one gun, my G17, in all divisions except UL (G17 race gun in UL).

PM720
08-21-2012, 17:39
UPDATE: I am switching to an all black rear and .125w all black front from Dawson Precision on all my GSSF guns and my 22 conversion. Then I'm going to shoot those sights and only those sights in GSSF for....well.....for as long as it takes to master them. I'm sticking to a FO front for USPSA though. I'm even considering only shooting one gun, my G17, in all divisions except UL (G17 race gun in UL).

Now your thinking! :thumbsup:

Scott

fotog54
09-21-2012, 14:11
I like the tru-glo fiber optic sights. Just shot the Conyers GA GSSF with them on my G17. I have them on all of my glocks that I actively shoot!

Do an online search, these are Fiber optic only, not the mixture of FO and night sights.

mike g35
09-22-2012, 13:36
Now your thinking! :thumbsup:

Scott

Since this thread has been revived anyway I thought I'd report that I did switch to all Dawson sights but I stuck with the FO front. Same sights for USPSA, GSSF, etc...now all my guns have the same sights....thank goodness. Hopefully it helps me next time out. Of course I'll only be shooting my G17 anyway so it really shouldn't matter. One gun, one set of sights, lets see how it goes in Lexington.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine