Is the Herstal 5.7x28 Reliable? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is the Herstal 5.7x28 Reliable?

kelte
08-12-2012, 21:23
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

M2 Carbine
08-12-2012, 21:41
Reliable?

I've never known mine to give me any trouble, even with my reloads.

Metal Angel
08-12-2012, 22:11
I heard of one that went ka-boom with hand loads... Don't know any more details so that's probably not helpful.

63bmechanic
08-12-2012, 22:20
I heard of one that went ka-boom with hand loads... Don't know any more details so that's probably not helpful.

that isnt very helpful, any gun can kaboom w/ hand loads lol. from my expirence the FN pistol was built to be a combat hand gun and lives up to its intentions. just a round that is over rated IMO

WoodenPlank
08-12-2012, 22:20
Reliable as in shoots well, deosn't jam, etc? Probably. I rarely hear of issues with it, either in the pistol or carbine.

Reliabile at stopping a determined attacker? Well, asking that question is a good way to start an argument around here, at least.... :whistling:

PlasticGuy
08-12-2012, 22:57
My wife and I each have one. She shoots hers a lot. I shoot mine occasionally. Both are extremely accurate, and we haven't had a malfunction out of either yet. We have fired about 2,000 rounds through them so far. Hardly an extreme endourance test, but so far so good.

msloan71
08-14-2012, 06:08
My wife loves hers...will never let it go. Just a bit pricey.

bac1023
08-14-2012, 08:46
Mine works great.

grecco
08-14-2012, 12:33
1.5 years and no issues so far.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
08-14-2012, 12:54
One can argue all day long about the caliber, but both the Five Seven handgun and the PS90 are known to be very reliable.

63bmechanic
08-14-2012, 12:56
i dont see ever getting one until someone other than FN rolls out ammunition.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
08-14-2012, 13:37
i dont see ever getting one until someone other than FN rolls out ammunition.

Federal is now selling ammo.

63bmechanic
08-14-2012, 13:45
Federal is now selling ammo.

oh really? when did that start, last i checked FN was bogarting them

Glockdude1
08-14-2012, 13:51
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o591/Svlwrx/IMG_1505.jpg

$20ish a box.

:cool:

63bmechanic
08-14-2012, 13:56
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o591/Svlwrx/IMG_1505.jpg

$20ish a box.

:cool:

very nice, glad to see this. FN was charging ridiculous prices for its higher velocity 22 mags lol

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
08-14-2012, 13:59
very nice, glad to see this. FN was charging ridiculous prices for its higher velocity 22 mags lol

Too bad you no not what you say... :whistling:

63bmechanic
08-14-2012, 14:01
Too bad you no not what you say... :whistling:

really? for what it is, the cost of ammo around here at least was ridiculous, and yes, as hard as it is to believe, its just a faster moving .22 mag. gasp

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
08-14-2012, 14:16
really? for what it is, the cost of ammo around here at least was ridiculous, and yes, as hard as it is to believe, its just a faster moving .22 mag. gasp

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=82043

Ft-Lb Measurements (Average of 5 shots)
.................Weight...............Five-seveN.................AR57 12"
SS197 .......40gr....................259............................344
ProtecTOR ..40gr....................340............................521
S5 .............32gr....................314............................431
S4M ...........28gr....................362............................529
CCI .22mr....40gr...................160

SS197 (FsN Pistol)
Shot #1: Fragmented early in the block, fragments penetrated the entire depth of the block and exited the back.

Shot #2: 14 penetration, core separated from jacket.

Shot #3: Fragmented early in the block, fragments penetrated to 18

CCI .22WMR 40gr HP
These rounds were fired into a single 10" block. Both rounds penetrated the length of the block and created a wound channel not much larger than the bullet's diameter.

MadMonkey
08-14-2012, 14:21
EDIT: ^^ Even SS197 is an effective round, neutered as it is :supergrin: I carry SS198 and EA PenetraTOR. I have some ProtecTOR but havent shot it yet, probably do that while I'm on leave.

Aaaaand the uneducated arrive. I was hoping I'd make it before then.

To the OP: The FiveSeven and PS90 have been extremely reliable in my experience. I have both... the Five Seven is my new daily carry and the PS90 shares HD duty with one of my ARs.

There are several good options for ammo out there, and the good stuff is about on par (price wise) with any other decent defensive ammo. Don't let the people who regurgitate what they've heard from idiots discourage you.

63bmechanic
08-14-2012, 14:24
Aaaaand the uneducated arrive. I was hoping I'd make it before then.

To the OP: The FiveSeven and PS90 have been extremely reliable in my experience. I have both... the Five Seven is my new daily carry and the PS90 shares HD duty with one of my ARs.

There are several good options for ammo out there, and the good stuff is about on par (price wise) with any other decent defensive ammo. Don't let the people who regurgitate what they've heard from idiots discourage you.

what fallacy am i "regurgitating", in ballistics gel its proven to do little more than a .22 mag. its faster moving, whoopty do. and until apparently recently FN WAS the only ammunition. i was not aware of its coming out. i also stated i saw no interest in buying one until that changed, it however has. if you read further i also state that it is in fact a quality pistol.

63bmechanic
08-14-2012, 14:24
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=82043

Ft-Lb Measurements (Average of 5 shots)
.................Weight...............Five-seveN.................AR57 12"
SS197 .......40gr....................259............................344
ProtecTOR ..40gr....................340............................521
S5 .............32gr....................314............................431
S4M ...........28gr....................362............................529
CCI .22mr....40gr...................160

all of this looks great on paper, once inside the body the difference is very little.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
08-14-2012, 14:37
all of this looks great on paper, once inside the body the difference is very little.

See, you once again no nothing. You complain about the ammo - I show some stats. But, then you say it means nothing...

I really should no better after 6 years of owning a PS90 - IQ points go down on 5-7 threads, because the same nonsense of the guys who hate the round comes around and around again.

In recent years, I stay out of these threads because they always end the same.

You say 22 mag - I show it isn't - then you say it doesn't mean anything, essentially...

63bmechanic
08-14-2012, 14:39
See, you once again no nothing. You complain about the ammo - I show some stats. But, then you say it means nothing...

I really should no better after 6 years of owning a PS90 - IQ points go down on 5-7 threads, because the same nonsense of the guys who hate the round comes around and around again.

In recent years, I stay out of these threads because they always end the same.

again, im not stating anything negative, just fact, it is an over hyped round, if it gets the same 5.56 fragmentation that puts it way ahead of the .22mag but i have yet to see a test where it does. the soft armor penetration to civilians arent very useful either, as a combat round, its very effective. your getting negativity from nothing man, stop putting your ego into your gun.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
08-14-2012, 14:41
again, im not stating anything negative, just fact, it is an over hyped round, if it gets the same 5.56 fragmentation that puts it way ahead of the .22mag but i have yet to see a test where it does. the soft armor penetration to civilians arent very useful either, as a combat round, its very effective. your getting negativity from nothing man, stop putting your ego into your gun.

Ah, the ol' passive aggressive routine... Another way "out" for you I see

63bmechanic
08-14-2012, 14:42
Ah, the ol' passive aggressive routine... Another way "out" for you I see

whatever guy, read my first post and you'll see i have nothing against this weapon. im done arguing w/ a child

63bmechanic
08-14-2012, 14:47
to the OP, the pistol is a damn fine gun, it is however expensive for its debatable practicality. you will find people like the above poster with so much ego invested into it youd think it was a 1911. they were built to go bang, they do.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
08-14-2012, 14:49
whatever guy, read my first post and you'll see i have nothing against this weapon. im done arguing w/ a child

You said: yes, as hard as it is to believe, its just a faster moving .22 mag. gasp

I show otherwise - then I'm "a child" - and you deny your own comments. :rofl:

63bmechanic
08-14-2012, 14:50
You said:

I show otherwise - then I'm "a child" - and you deny your own comments. :rofl:

actually my first post was something along the lines of it being designed to be a combat weapon and that it lives up to its purpose.

here ya go, copied and pasted
"that isnt very helpful, any gun can kaboom w/ hand loads lol. from my expirence the FN pistol was built to be a combat hand gun and lives up to its intentions. just a round that is over rated IMO"

and yes in my opinion the round is under powered for the cost of the pistol/ammo compared to say a 9mm pistol.

G36's Rule
08-14-2012, 15:47
I've had one now for about three years. Probably put 400 rounds of 197 total through it. No failures, very accurate.

Only thing I don't like about it is the mag disconnect.

I quantify the effectiveness of cartridges by how they kill critters. I hunt with a lot of different handguns on a lot of different critters. My favorite critter for testing handguns is Javelina. I've shot them with 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, 357mag... You can shoot two a year in Texas and where I hunt they are plentiful.

I shot one a couple years ago with my 5.7 using SS197. It chrono's out of my pistol at 1760fps. The Javelina I shot was at 60 yards. It moved as the shot broke and hit it in the left hip ranging forward into the body cavity. It went down with a broken hip but with the front end still up, so I shot it again behind the left shoulder penetrating the chest and off side shoulder. The little pig was dead quick. The bullet crossing the chest boiled the lungs and cut off the top of the heart. Pretty nasty wound.

It weighed about 45 pounds so not a big critter, but the performance was at least as good as any 9mm I've used.

Apetrulis01
08-14-2012, 19:34
Awhile ago I read Wolf was going to produce the round, but never happened, so I never bought one.

Adam

63bmechanic
08-14-2012, 19:35
well with other companies producing the ammo now, it shouldnt be so expensive to fire, i hadnt known the production rights had finally spread beyond FN until this thread.

Narkcop
08-15-2012, 05:23
Most of the naysayers don't own and haven't fired any 5.7x28 weapons. The last time I went in the woods with other Narcs we were looking for an underground marijuana grow that was WAY off the road. Everyone had Glocks and AR's except me, I had my 5.7 pistol and EXTRA mags and I felt well armed.

Glockdude1
08-15-2012, 07:59
Most of the naysayers don't own and haven't fired any 5.7x28 weapons. The last time I went in the woods with other Narcs we were looking for an underground marijuana grow that was WAY off the road. Everyone had Glocks and AR's except me, I had my 5.7 pistol and EXTRA mags and I felt well armed.

With the other officers carrying Glocks, of course you felt well armed......

:tongueout: __ :rofl:

Viper 1
08-15-2012, 10:30
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Anyone here compared the 5.7 round to the Rock Island TCM Micro Mag round?