Going to start prepping. Need some help... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Going to start prepping. Need some help...

NickC50310
08-12-2012, 21:42
Hi guys! I have decided I better start some prepping. I am going to start storing bottled water and get a water barrel. Most of the stuff will be kept in my basement which is usually cool and dry. I want to have AT LEAST between a 1 month and 3 month supply of essential items.

Basically, my biggest question is prep food. I am leaning towards the 3 month two person kit by Aguason Farms from sams. It looks like this stuff needs water to prepare it? My original thinking was that I wouldnt want stuff that required water for prep as I would probably want to drink my water instead... The kit also has a TON of hard white wheat. WTF am I going to do with a bunch of wheat? Got any tips on this stuff?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/augason-farms-emergency-food-storage-kit-3-months-2-people/prod1620355.ip?navAction=#reviews

As for ammo, the more the better!

Thanks for any help or tips!

ChuteTheMall
08-12-2012, 21:52
Eat what you store, and store what you eat.
Practice and test everything before the emergency.

The best way to rotate your drinking water and food is to drink it and eat it as you continuously replenish it.

That's the difference between surviving, and owning a box of survival stuff.

:wavey:

ArmoryDoc
08-12-2012, 22:59
Don't worry about storing hundreds of gallons of water if there is a source near you. Get a purifier instead. $200.00 will get you a nice one.

NickC50310
08-12-2012, 23:33
I looked at the MSR pump/chem kit for $100. There is a river within a couple hundred yards of me but it is pretty dirty. Is one of those pump and chem kits going to make that drinkable?

As for the food, I am going to stock canned stews and veggies from sams. Those kits are dumb to think Im going to start baking bread when SHTF. LOL! I dont even know how to bake bread! The canned goods would be good for at least a couple years yes? I doubt I will eat them unless I need to. To rotate them out I will probably just give them to the food bank every couple of years.

Tom Kanik
08-13-2012, 01:18
Canned goods should last you a couple of years, so keep the bottled water for drinking. Fill some containers with water for flushing the toilet as well, and keep extra toilet paper and personal hygiene items.
I see that you are in DesMoines, Iowa; have a back-up heating source such as a Pro-Com ventless heater or Big Buddy ventless heater and some bottles of propane. I know that winters can be pretty tough up there! A multi-source power radio and lights are good to have in the event of power failure. I keep some 12 volt batteries, power inverters, and l.e.d. lights for that purpose.

Keep us apprised of your progress!:cool:

Smoker
08-13-2012, 05:20
There is a couple of previous threads here, try the search..

quake
08-13-2012, 07:38
Eat what you store, and store what you eat.
Practice and test everything before the emergency.
This approach is best imo, at least when beginning. Simply stock more of what you already use. If you have a favorite brand of green beans, etc, stick with them if practical.

Some questions - do you mind sharing some specifics? Budget allotted, situational specifics like urban, rural, apartment, etc, potential weather issues (I don't know much about Des Moines), how many people you're trying to prepare for (the quantity of people can quickly change the type of approach taken), special needs or idiosyncracies of those people (single, married, infants, handicapped, etc).

Not to get into your business, and it's uncomfortable to list more personal info; completely understand. Short of more info, I'd have to agree with chute the mall - start with more of your normal, familiar stuff first. That's an easy way to build to several months' supply with no 'adjustment' issues.

kirgi08
08-13-2012, 08:42
I looked at the MSR pump/chem kit for $100. There is a river within a couple hundred yards of me but it is pretty dirty. Is one of those pump and chem kits going to make that drinkable?

As for the food, I am going to stock canned stews and veggies from sams. Those kits are dumb to think Im going to start baking bread when SHTF. LOL! I dont even know how to bake bread! The canned goods would be good for at least a couple years yes? I doubt I will eat them unless I need to. To rotate them out I will probably just give them to the food bank every couple of years.

There is a couple of previous threads here, try the search..

Yep,the info is on GT.Read the sub-forum.I've not seen a topic unanswered.'08.

ArmoryDoc
08-13-2012, 09:21
I have the Katadyn Combi. Not sure about the one you list.

cowboy1964
08-13-2012, 12:59
More ammo the better yet you don't know what to do with wheat or want to need water to prepare food?

You have a lot of studying to do :supergrin:

NickC50310
08-13-2012, 16:42
This approach is best imo, at least when beginning. Simply stock more of what you already use. If you have a favorite brand of green beans, etc, stick with them if practical.

Some questions - do you mind sharing some specifics? Budget allotted, situational specifics like urban, rural, apartment, etc, potential weather issues (I don't know much about Des Moines), how many people you're trying to prepare for (the quantity of people can quickly change the type of approach taken), special needs or idiosyncracies of those people (single, married, infants, handicapped, etc).

Not to get into your business, and it's uncomfortable to list more personal info; completely understand. Short of more info, I'd have to agree with chute the mall - start with more of your normal, familiar stuff first. That's an easy way to build to several months' supply with no 'adjustment' issues.

No problem listing some details here! As for budgeting, I dont have an amount set aside. For my budget I have about $600 per month "disposable" income for this so it will be built up over time. I am in an urban area. I am within a mile of city limits though and have multiple routes that can get me out of town quickly. I dont really plan to provide essential services to many other people. I would probably only have one other able bodied adult male living off my supplies. For that reason, I would probably stock enough for two with a significant amount of spare goods for a possible third. Everyone else I would have join my group would likely have their own supplies or means for getting them (lots of hunters and outdoorsmen).

Yep,the info is on GT.Read the sub-forum.I've not seen a topic unanswered.'08.

Thanks! I will check that out!

I have the Katadyn Combi. Not sure about the one you list.

Thanks! I will look into that one!

More ammo the better yet you don't know what to do with wheat or want to need water to prepare food?

You have a lot of studying to do :supergrin:

With enough firepower and ammo cant I just steal whatever I need!!?? :dunno::rofl: Obviously Im kidding!

NickC50310
08-13-2012, 16:44
Canned goods should last you a couple of years, so keep the bottled water for drinking. Fill some containers with water for flushing the toilet as well, and keep extra toilet paper and personal hygiene items.
I see that you are in DesMoines, Iowa; have a back-up heating source such as a Pro-Com ventless heater or Big Buddy ventless heater and some bottles of propane. I know that winters can be pretty tough up there! A multi-source power radio and lights are good to have in the event of power failure. I keep some 12 volt batteries, power inverters, and l.e.d. lights for that purpose.

Keep us apprised of your progress!:cool:

Definately gets mega cold here. Kerosene and kerosene heater is on the list. I like the car battery idea! I will look into that as well!

barbedwiresmile
08-13-2012, 20:59
K.I.S.S. -----

Plant fruit and nut trees. If you own rather than rent, start a garden and start learning.

Next, learn to can. With a minimal up-front investment, you can start laying up your own, much healthier stores.

Learn to raise small livestock: chickens and rabbits in an urban environment.

Learn now to hunt, trap, and snare. Even in an urban setting you may be surprised at the abundance of wild game all around you.

Do not speak to anyone about your preps. Or your firearms. Period.

Make sure your preps include barter items. Budget for it. Batteries, tobacco, 'cigarette' papers, booze, plastic lighters, chocolate, condoms, nylon stockings, socks, personal hygiene items. Do not, under any circumstances, plan on bartering ammo. (see paragraph above)

Do not buy in to "bug out" fantasies. Dig your heels in and hang tight.

Allfal
08-13-2012, 22:53
Much has already been covered. As has been said, to start off just store more of the non perishable food that you already eat. Grains, rice beans ect are very useful for longer term storage. You would have to get used to eating them, which can be a big deal. The Roman empire conquered large amounts of territory by soaking grains in water barrels during the days march, adding whatever meats they scavenged during the day and cooking it at the end of the day. Their diet may have contributed to their willingness to fight since it sucked so much. Wheat, rice, beans ect are a great source of inexpensive protein. They can be difficult to prepare in an appetizing way under difficult circumstances

Water is a big deal. Have several means to purify it ranging from pool shock to those filters designed for 3rd world countries. None are prohibitively expensive.

In an urban area, consider stocking cheap squirrel and pigeon traps. If near waterways or ponds with fish, consider inexpensive gill nets, drag nets or trot lines with hooks. Cheap easy protien. Try water bath, pressure canning, smoking, salting or dehydrating now to learn to preserve any surplus you may obtain during bad times. Learn which method works for what you are preserving.

Firearms are basic. This is a gun board. 9mm V .45, .223 V .308, it's mostly BS. What new whizz bang tactical stuff is available is really secondary. Have the means, skill and mind set and it will work until it doesn't. Have reliable weapons and sufficient ammo.

Knowledge is your most important asset. With some minimal preps and alot of knowledge of methods of harvest, salvage and preparation you would be very far ahead of most residents of that urban area. There really is alot more, you just can't find it in some single post. Look around, think of what you need to live and how to provide it.

kirgi08
08-14-2012, 07:40
Add $20 a week ta yer pantry,you won't believe how fast your pantry expands.Buy what you normally eat.The next thing is keeping quiet about your "preps",you wouldn't believe how many folks state "I'll just come ta your house".

Water is the key,being able ta store/procure/filter is a very good start.Food,as stated,store your normal diet.Remember,if something does "happen",your caloric intake will need ta meet the stress levels of the situation.

IE,your body burns through more "stuff" when stressed than not.If your daily caloric intake is 2500,if something does happen your need of calories may rise ta 4000 a day.You've got ta be able ta design a storage plan ta account for this.'08.

Johnny Cache
08-20-2012, 22:09
Hi guys! I have decided I better start some prepping. I am going to start storing bottled water and get a water barrel. Most of the stuff will be kept in my basement which is usually cool and dry. I want to have AT LEAST between a 1 month and 3 month supply of essential items.

Basically, my biggest question is prep food. I am leaning towards the 3 month two person kit by Aguason Farms from sams. It looks like this stuff needs water to prepare it? My original thinking was that I wouldnt want stuff that required water for prep as I would probably want to drink my water instead... The kit also has a TON of hard white wheat. WTF am I going to do with a bunch of wheat? Got any tips on this stuff?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/augason-farms-emergency-food-storage-kit-3-months-2-people/prod1620355.ip?navAction=#reviews

As for ammo, the more the better!

Thanks for any help or tips!
Your intuition about the waterless food is very good.
When it comes to food that is meant to stay in one place anyway, as opposed to being transported, go ahead and opt for stuff that has plenty of moisture in it, and don't shy away from canned goods.
The freeze-dried rations, etc. are handy for when carried weight is a concern--be it in a vehicle, or ultimately on your back.

Mr.Pliskin
08-21-2012, 06:33
The kit also has a TON of hard white wheat. WTF am I going to do with a bunch of wheat? Got any tips on this stuff?

!

Wheat berries can cover a pretty broad spectrum of foods and should be a staple prep. They last nearly forever so you can buy them and forget about them if you wish. You can sprout them for a boost in vitamins and add them to salads, or just eat the sprouted grain. You can toast and boil them in water to make a breakfast dish or add them to soups. Then you can grind them to flower and add oil and water and make tasty tortillas, or add a yeast and make bread (hundreds of variations). a very useful food.

Sams also has a pretty good grinder through augason farms for about $50. But like everyone says, "Store what you eat" but if you experiment with the wheatberries I bet you wont be disappointed. I also store white flower cause I dont want to be grinding all the time, or only be limited to real whole wheat bread(which is great for grilled cheese) but after learning all its uses I dont buy store bread or tortillas anymore. Instead I make my own.

Mr.Pliskin
08-21-2012, 06:49
K.I.S.S. -----

Plant fruit and nut trees. If you own rather than rent, start a garden and start learning.

Even if your in an apartment you can have a small garden. Get a few of the large storage toats from Wal mart, some potting soil and pick your favorite seeds. Put about 12 inches of soil in the toats and plant your favorite seeds in there. Put the toats on your balcony or wherever it gets the most sun and water daily..you'd be amazed how much you can grow in there. For vine plants like tomatoes get a hanging planter and put a hole in the bottom. After your (tomato) plant sprouts put it in upside down and hang it.

alexanderg23
08-21-2012, 15:06
get some fishing yo-yos and a bunch of mac and cheese and ramen

cs133atom
08-21-2012, 15:56
Check out this company; recently stumbled into them and found them to be interesting MaxLifeFoods (http://maxlifefoods.com/index.php?id=)

Restless28
08-22-2012, 05:19
K.I.S.S. -----

Next, learn to can. With a minimal up-front investment, you can start laying up your own, much healthier stores.

Learn to raise small livestock: chickens and rabbits in an urban environment.

Learn now to hunt, trap, and snare. Even in an urban setting you may be surprised at the abundance of wild game all around you.

Do not speak to anyone about your preps. Or your firearms. Period.

Make sure your preps include barter items. Budget for it. Batteries, tobacco, 'cigarette' papers, booze, plastic lighters, chocolate, condoms, nylon stockings, socks, personal hygiene items. Do not, under any circumstances, plan on bartering ammo. (see paragraph above)

Do not buy in to "bug out" fantasies. Dig your heels in and hang tight.

Like this advice. Simple, clear, and easy to follow.

JLM63
08-22-2012, 05:35
After your food preps start taking shape, or while your thinking about what to store, consider non-food items that you need. Buy an extra mega-pack of toilet paper and paper towels. Some nitrile gloves and trash bags. Consider what battery powered items are important and have some extras. How is your first aid kit? Matches? Candles? Buy an extra pack of socks and underwear and tuck it away.

Atlas
08-22-2012, 22:16
Water...
Can hardly believe no one here has suggested the Berkefeld filter system.
Everyone should have at least one.
No power required, time-tested, super-reliable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkefeld_filter

http://doultonusa.com

http://www.jamesfilter.com/

http://www.britishberkefeld.com/

quake
08-23-2012, 10:40
Water...
Can hardly believe no one here has suggested the Berkefeld filter system.
Everyone should have at least one.
No power required, time-tested, super-reliable.
Major +1 on the Berkey; they're "the stuff" for in-place water treatment imo. Highly recommend the "sight glass" spigot option also, it makes it a LOT easier to actually use on an ongoing basis.

We gave one to my wife's parents last christmas to get a non-threatening but funky condition out of their well water. Their water was/is fine & safe to drink, but if you heat it up to make tea or coffee it took on a nasty bitter taste. Had the county extension office & state health department both run tests on it to see what it was, and they both came back as 'safe', but couldn't conclusively say what mineral/nitrate/etc was causing it. For a long time they carried bottles of water from other people's house for tea & coffee use; we put in the big berkey just before christmas last year, and problem completely solved.

Big fan here. They've been used for decades in nasty third-world conditions and they just plain work. Definitely not something for backpacking or bugging out, maybe something for vehicle camping, and definitely something at the top of the list for house or base-camp use.

Climbhard
08-23-2012, 21:03
Really, what event are you guys prepping for?

kirgi08
08-23-2012, 23:12
Natural disasters/socio-economic collapse.'08.

quake
08-24-2012, 06:45
Really, what event are you guys prepping for?

For us, it's mostly power outages. May not be an issue for a lot of people, but we have multiple power outages in any given year.

Beyond that it's largely a cost-savings thing. Do we "need" a dozen cans of coffee in the pantry? Not really, but I think it's wise to stock up when they're on sale, since having 'deep' stocks means we rarely have to purchase when it's not on sale. There's not a can of that coffee that we paid more than $6 for afaik, so I can easily pass by the coffee aisle when that same can of coffee is $12; and that's a good thing imo.

Also a convenience thing. Ever realize you're out of a given condiment/ingredient/dressing/sauce, etc, right at dinner time? We don't worry about those things - whatever is in the fridge or shelf in the kitchen, has backups out in the walk-in pantry; so when we run out in the kitchen, we're not faced with the choice of doing without or making a last-minute store run. There's a dry-erase board in the pantry, and anything getting low, gets written down.

Prepping isn't (or shouldn't be) all about worrying, fretting, or being anti-social as it's portrayed in the media. Fact is, prepping (a la our pantry above) serves to reduce worries, fretting, costs, and even simple inconvenience versus the alternatives. Keeping a full pantry, buying necessities when on sale, and having reserves, is what grandma did her whole life; but nowadays it's portrayed as some kind of nutjob mentality.

And to be fair, some "preppers" are indeed nutjobs - just as some baptists, some atheists, some catholics, some grad students and some plumbers are nutjobs. No way around it, some percentage of any particular 'group' are nutjobs.

quake
08-24-2012, 11:44
Occured to me after the fact; there's a valid opportunity to post bible verses here and I almost missed it... :supergrin:

1 Timothy 5:8 comes to mind first. Basically, any man that doesn't provide for his family is "worse than an infidel".

There are also a bunch of prep-oriented instruction & discussion in Proverbs (may be slight mis-quotes here; mostly from memory).
Proverbs 21:20 '...in the house of the wise are stores of food & oil'
Proverbs 22:23 '...a wise man sees danger and takes a refuge'
Proverbs 27:12 - basically the same as 22:23 above

Even Jesus himself told his disciples to pack a bag of essentials and to get a sword, even if it meant selling their coat to buy one.

Aceman
08-25-2012, 12:51
Sorry if I repeat anything from above. Let's just jump right into it.

Start with a week, move to two then four, etc...
Keep it simple and only the essentials at first
Integrate it into real life

#1 thing: Water.
- Just go and get a few cases of water bottles. Use a case, buy a new case and rotate.
- Then, find a source of water and a way to purify it. I have a pool. 17k gallons + a grill and propane, and pool shock. Good to go.
- HAving a source and way to purify is cheaper and way better than having tons of bottles etc...But have some stored.
- By the way; Doesn't have to be water. You CAN drink Soda. And the Sugar/caffiene boost might bnot be a bad idea. Plus, empty 1l's are great water storage devicces

#2 Food
- Look in your pantry and find what canned good you regulalrly eat. we go through spaghetti-o's Grean beans, corn, and carrots.
Just get the appropriate number of cans for a week. At $2 for three cans, $14 = 1 week of Spaghetti and Meatballs right there. FAst, no cooking required, carbs, meat, veggies.
- Again, go to the store, buy groceries, plus a weeks worth every week. In a month you'll have month of canned pasta stuff. Then just rotate. Trunk to stack, stack to pantry.

* Get a sharpie and date!

#3 Fuel
- This is key. Boiling is the best way to purify water.
- Grill plus big propane can. Looks good by the pool...Grilling is good every day!
- Rotate the propane. I keep one tapped, and two in reserve.
- I also have a Turkey cooker, a fireplace, and a small camp stove.

#4 Take up camping. Outdoors rocks. You'll practice toughing it and using gear. Plus...
- Tent
- Sleeping bag
- Small stove
- lights etc...
If you can camp, all you need is food and water. See above.

Do those few things and you are good to go!

Weapons:
IMO, all you REALLY need is the handgun of choice, and a 12g shotgun.
- Practice with pistol is more important than the quality of gun. Ammo easily outcosts the gun in a few months. Ruger 4" .357, or XD/M&P/Glock 9mm. Cheap, reliable, effective.
- A 12g shotgun is the most high utility and forgiving shooter period. Get a selection of ammo bird, slugs, buck, game shot - depending on the area.

Remember; You likely will not survive 100 rounds of a firefight against an armed mob. Be reasonable about ammo. 100 rounds on hand may be fine. 500 makes me feel good.

- The water and food to NOT NEED TO LEAVE THE HOME will keep you safer than 10,000 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo for an AK.