Dampness question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dampness question

.45 guy
08-13-2012, 12:27
I was shooting last weekend. I have arounnd 300 rounds of .223 in an ammo can,it statrted to rain when we cshut down and left. Anyway, I opened the can last night and the lid was wet on the inside and the bottom of the can was wet. It wasn't like there was water standing in the can,just wet. Are my cartidges ruined? I'm going to shoot some this weekend and see.

JBnTX
08-13-2012, 13:06
I doubt they're ruined, considering the short amount of time they were wet and the fact that they were not completely submerged.

However, I would shoot them up at the earliest chance.

PhantomF4E
08-13-2012, 15:05
Throw them in a tupperware container with a pound or two of the cheapest rice you can find at the grocery store for a couple days . That's only if you are paranoid. I primed up around 50 30-06 brass in 1984 They got left in standard caardboard boxes and plastic cartridge blocks. Found them a couple years back, they had fallen down in the back of an old cabinet . This was in a very damp garage in South Florida. Several hurricanes, tropical storms, and ankle deep standing water in the garage for several days, several times over the years. The old remington boxes came apart when touched the brass was all tarnished and some of it corroded. Every primer fired ! After 25 years of exposure. Also had a box of completely loaded cast 9mm from the same time period. Had to relube the boolits as the lube had totally been worn off over the years. Every round fired. A couple of cases split due to corrosion but they all fired. Those were handloads and the brass had already been reloaded several times. Ammo is pretty resilient stuff even in harsh environments. Would I have trusted my life with it ? No flippin' way . But for range fodder and a bit of a scientific experiment ? you betcha !

unclebob
08-13-2012, 15:47
Your ammo is fine.

Zombie Steve
08-13-2012, 16:32
You know, I've always hated the word moist. Just the way it rolls out of your mouth. Hate it.

Glad he asked about dampness. :phew:

SPIN2010
08-13-2012, 16:32
You know, I've always hated the word moist. Just the way it rolls out of your mouth. Hate it.

Glad he asked about dampness. :phew:

I opened this thread just to see what Steve had said. :rofl:

Zombie Steve
08-13-2012, 16:46
I figgered the original question was settled. Thought we could move on. :supergrin:

.45 guy
08-13-2012, 16:48
Thanks for the feedback. I will pop off a hundred or so this weekend.

TheExplorer
08-13-2012, 16:48
I've actually bought new that had some beginning stages of rust on the shells from improper storage. They all shot fine. I agree use that stuff first.

bush pilot
08-13-2012, 17:09
I opened this thread just to see what Steve had said. :rofl:

That's time off your life you'll never get back :frown:

Zombie Steve
08-13-2012, 20:02
Hit Alt + F4 and all my stupidity goes away.

:cowboy: