Speedloaders and J-Frames [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Speedloaders and J-Frames

Big Bird
08-13-2012, 14:52
Do all speedloaders for J Frames suck or is it me?

I have a couple of loaders from H&K, Safariland and 5 Star and I can't get any of them to work worth a damn with my 340 M&P or my model 36/60.

Not too big a deal as I usually carry a Bianchi speed strip when I'm toting my M&P because its flat and slides in my pocket easily.

So what's gives? Am i retarded or is this the way it is...

countrygun
08-13-2012, 15:20
No to be smug but I have no problem because I have grips that are designed with speedloaders in mind.

It might be a matter of technique as well. I learned a couple of tricks that help a bit.

janice6
08-13-2012, 15:22
I have a couple of them for the 642 and they are no problem.

But I do prefer to carry speed strips as others have stated.

faawrenchbndr
08-13-2012, 15:25
I prefer speed strips, but hae used 5-Star speed loaders without issue

ak103k
08-13-2012, 15:31
Speed loaders take some practice and refresher time. Certain bullet types also work better than others. Youre not using wadcutters, are you? :)

How do you normally load your revolvers (assuming your a right handed shooter), holding the gun in your left hand while you reload, or in your right? Not picking on you, but you'd be amazed at how many people dont know how to properly load/reload a revolver.

As countrygun said, grips can be a major issue when using a speed loader. Most of the newer combat type grips do have the cut out, but Ive seen some older grips that dont. I use the old "service" type stocks with a "T" grip on my J frames. No problems with speed loaders, and it makes the gun pretty much the smallest youre going to get it.

fnfalman
08-13-2012, 15:31
Gotta make sure that the grip panels don't block the speedloaders. This is why I favor skinny grips for snubbies. I don't have J-frame but I prefer skinny grips on my Colt snubbies because of clearance for speedloaders.

Buffering
08-13-2012, 15:36
...but you'd be amazed at how many people dont know how to properly load/reload a revolver.

^^^^^ This is the money quote of the year.

In this day of wonder 9's and mega magazines, people don't learn and train on revolvers, especially when one has been told that a revolver is nothing more than a quicker reload.

There are ways to load a revolver quickly. They involve practice. They also involve using appropriate grips.

barth
08-13-2012, 15:43

I have a couple of loaders from H&K, Safariland and 5 Star and I can't get any of them to work worth a damn with my 340 M&P or my model 36/60.

Not too big a deal as I usually carry a Bianchi speed strip when I'm toting my M&P because its flat and slides in my pocket easily.

You didn't mention what grips you have on the guns?
Not all grips are made to accept speed loaders.

I use Hogue Bantam grips on my J-Frames.
HKS work fine with them.
My favorite speed loader is a Jet Loader (Buffer Technologies).
Use them on my 65-3 K-Frame with Bantam grips.
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/thumbnail/photo31/b4/34/f43233b1fdb5__1340299029000.jpg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false

collim1
08-13-2012, 15:56
Like said above its the grips that cause the problem. I can still use HKS's with my 442 but it takes an extra second of wiggling. Still faster than a speed strip, but speed strips carry alot better.

Bruce M
08-13-2012, 17:12
I have reasonable results with HKS speedloaders also.

Berto
08-13-2012, 17:24
The factory 'sliver' grips work fine, as do the Spegel styled Uncle Mikes that used to come on the 442/642. I use them on all my J frames and they work fine with HKS or Safariland loaders.

D4RWlN
08-15-2012, 13:35
I have tried all the ones you listed with my 340 m&p. They do indeed suck with the 340 since they won't clear the grips. Check out the SL variants. They work extremely well.

http://www.bobmacs.com/variantcatalog.htm

eb07
08-15-2012, 14:15
SL Variant is all I use.

http://www.bobmacs.com/variantcatalog.htm

fastbolt
08-15-2012, 15:03
I have more than half a dozen J's. They sport a variety of (grip) stocks.

I use both Safariland & HKS speedloaders with all of them. I carried both designs, at one time or another, when I carried both issued & personally owned revolvers all the time. I used speedstrips back then, too, but mostly as backup to my speedloaders.

I learned revolver loading (hint, "reloading" is the same as "loading" ;) ) and practiced it for many years. It's a skill.

I practiced with both Safariland (2 types) and HKS for so many years that my fingers seem to recognize which type I'm holding, and manipulate them accordingly, before my conscious mind stops to recognize the difference. (I usually refer to it as "pattern recognition", similar to my hand conforming to different pistols & revolvers as I grasp them, resulting from familiarity & practice over the years.)

Hey, that's what training is for, right? (I can also operate both an automatic & manual transmission vehicle, and my motorcycle clutch, without having to stop and think about it in moments of unexpected stress ... as long as I remain in practice driving all of them, of course.)

Speedstrips require a practiced skill, too. (Big surprise, right?)

The ammunition (bullet nose profile or hollowpoint cavity shape) can have an influence at times, as well.

I carry speedloaders if I have the room. I carry speedstrips if pocket room (and its access) is restricted, or when I want to carry more strips than I can speedloaders due to pocket size constraints. Just depends.

At least with the huge interest in 5-shot J's over the last couple of decades, we've been seeing increasingly better grip stock options that are more "speedloader friendly" than in earlier years. I still occasionally have older S&W factory stocks turned in that have been modified (filed) to relieve them for speedloaders.

I've seen some revolver owners & users/shooters seem to more easily, and/or quickly, able to adapt to different speedloaders. Cool. If it works for them ... it works for them. Seems pretty simple.

It's still part of the whole perishable skill aspect of safely, properly & effectively using a handgun, though.

Just my thoughts.

fastbolt
08-15-2012, 15:09
Oops. DT ...

FireForged
08-15-2012, 19:35
if I ever have to use my speed loader It will be a re-run of Magnum PI where he was trying to pick the lock at the guest house and kept saying " pick the lock, dont look at the dogs".

I cant reload quickly either, dont feel bad. I do just fine when I do it casual. If I was ever in a real gunfight reload, I would probably just dump the 3 easy ones and let the other 2 fall. 3 rounds are better than no rounds.

cowboywannabe
08-15-2012, 20:04
ive yet to find something that works better for me than Safariland Comps

Jade Falcon
08-15-2012, 20:09
I have reasonable results with HKS speedloaders also.

Same here. I have two for my 642, one of which I'm carrying in my left front pocket. The other one stays at home because, though it works fine, the rounds are loose in the loader, and wiggle around slightly. The one in my pocket is pretty solid though.

D4RWlN
08-15-2012, 23:50
ive yet to find something that works better for me than Safariland Comps

Have you tried sl variants?

Travclem
08-16-2012, 09:31
I have a 642 60 and 36, No issue with HKS speedloaders.

ETA: I carry speed strips

H&K 4 LIFE
08-16-2012, 09:57
When I carry my J-frame, I use speed strips for a reload. While I have a couple HKS speedloaders and they work I don't really carry them, although they are nice for storing extra ammo in a desk draw or in the car.

Given their size/bulk, I would sooner carry a second J-frame over a speedloader.

willie_pete
08-16-2012, 18:45
I carry a 442 and use speed strips for carry. Just for grins I shot a ICORE match a few months ago with HKS loaders and didn't come in DFL. Actually finished in the middle of the pack.

WP

cowboywannabe
08-16-2012, 20:03
Have you tried sl variants?

no i havent. in what way might they be better than the Safariland Comps? ive tried the HKS and some ruber gizmo that held the rounds at an angle. didnt compare to the Comps.

the Comps are easy to use and require almost no motor skills beyond simply holding on to them.

do you have a link to a video for the sl variants?

D4RWlN
08-16-2012, 22:20
no i havent. in what way might they be better than the Safariland Comps? ive tried the HKS and some ruber gizmo that held the rounds at an angle. didnt compare to the Comps.

the Comps are easy to use and require almost no motor skills beyond simply holding on to them.

do you have a link to a video for the sl variants?

The SLV hold the rounds tighter and are spring loaded so as soon as the plunger in the center is pushed the rounds do not fall into the cyclinder, they are thrown in. They also appear to be better made. Really the only down side I have noticed to them is they are IMO expensive for a speedloader and sometimes hard to get since they tend to be sold out a lot.

Note* 357s are load as easy to load but can be done at an angle. The video below shows what I mean as far as the round being shot into the cyclinder

SL VARIANT Speedloader for S&W J-Frame or Ruger LCR - YouTube

S.L. Variant Speed Loader for j-frame - YouTube

cowboywannabe
08-16-2012, 23:49
i like that fast ejection of the rounds into the cylinder. if they make them with a smaller knb so they have a smaller profile like the Cmp Is for a J frame that would be the best.

whitebread
08-17-2012, 12:15
Hogue aftermarket grips will allow for proper use of speedloaders.

D4RWlN
08-18-2012, 12:58
Hogue aftermarket grips will allow for proper use of speedloaders.

What hogue grip on what model revolver with what speedloaders?

cowboy1964
08-18-2012, 14:10
Yeah the stock grips on my 642 just get in the way with my HK speedloader. I don't even bother trying to use it (plus the other problam I have with the HK is the retention knob turns WAY too easily and I usually end up dumping the rounds accidently).

Speed strips for me all the way. They're easier to carry too.

whitebread
08-21-2012, 12:00
What hogue grip on what model revolver with what speedloaders?
Model# 61000, Hogue Rubber Bantam Style grip.
Model# J-C7, Safariland COMP I Speedloader.