Powder problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Powder problem

DRJ1911
08-13-2012, 17:10
Well I thought I would be loading some test rounds tonight but when I opened the box from Powder Valley I found I had 8lbs of v350 not v320. :steamed: I will call tomorrow and find out what happened. Just more time to find info for a lite load I guess. If anyone has any thoughts for a lite load for a G17 and a G17l using PD 124 fmj I would love to hear them. PF is not important as I don't compete other than a occasional club shoot or a GSSF match. Thanks

Doyle

WeeWilly
08-13-2012, 17:32
Well I thought I would be loading some test rounds tonight but when I opened the box from Powder Valley I found I had 8lbs of v350 not v320. :steamed: I will call tomorrow and find out what happened. Just more time to find info for a lite load I guess. If anyone has any thoughts for a lite load for a G17 and a G17l using PD 124 fmj I would love to hear them. PF is not important as I don't compete other than a occasional club shoot or a GSSF match. Thanks

Doyle

I would give 3.8gr a try, loaded to 1.145", should yield about 1000fps in your G17. Not sure about the long slide.

Good you bought 8lbs, because you will likely love the stuff. My favorite target powder for 9, 40 and 45. Too bad it is so damn expensive.

DRJ1911
08-13-2012, 17:57
I would give 3.8gr a try, loaded to 1.145", should yield about 1000fps in your G17. Not sure about the long slide.

Good you bought 8lbs, because you will likely love the stuff. My favorite target powder for 9, 40 and 45. Too bad it is so damn expensive.

Thanks Willy, I am sure I will like it if I ever get the rite powder. I will try your load and let you know how it works for me. I have my dies set for 1.135 oal and .377 crimp and really want to get some loaded to try. O well stuff happens. Thanks again

Doyle

noylj
08-15-2012, 02:09
Have you established your COL by making up some inert rounds to verify magazine fit and feeding and chambering or just "guessing" at a COL.
You should determine the longest COL that fits the magazine and feeds/chambers well and then plan to load maybe 10 rounds at that COL and a few at shorter increments to determine which actually is most reliable and accurate. All guns are different and you shouldn't treat your gun or loads as just generic things.
Get loads from VV and other reliable sources and do start at the starting load and not assume you can simply load the "perfect" load without the proper load work up.

DRJ1911
08-15-2012, 08:47
Have you established your COL by making up some inert rounds to verify magazine fit and feeding and chambering or just "guessing" at a COL.
You should determine the longest COL that fits the magazine and feeds/chambers well and then plan to load maybe 10 rounds at that COL and a few at shorter increments to determine which actually is most reliable and accurate. All guns are different and you shouldn't treat your gun or loads as just generic things.
Get loads from VV and other reliable sources and do start at the starting load and not assume you can simply load the "perfect" load without the proper load work up.

Thanks noylj, Yes I have made inert rounds and tested for function in my guns. I also plan to use starting loads and go from there. I was just curious about what loads others liked. Powder Valley is sending me the correct powder so I have just been setting up my dies for a starting point that I felt comfortable with and would feed well in my guns. I have a new dillon 650 that I am trying to learn also so I have a big learning curve ahead. I loaded precision rifle for years but never pistol or on a progressive so I welcome all advise. Thanks again and feel free to point me in the right direction.

Doyle

noylj
08-16-2012, 00:34
A few points then:
1) Pistols are not custom rifles. Cases prep is not a path to higher accuracy.
2) Cases that head space on the case mouth should never be trimmed. All you are doing is increasing head space.
You may want to size your cases and sort by length. Those within 0.005" of the max length will almost always be more accurate than the shorter ones. The problem is that so few cases are that long.
3) I prefer to clean cases in the garage and load in the house. I sort, inspect, and deprimer prior to case cleaning. Case cleaning is a very unimportant task and 30 minutes with 20/40 corn is more than required. Many go off on a path to better cleaning. You may want to, but at least realize that it just doesn't matter.
4) Sorting head stamps has never shown any improvement in accuracy. However, if it makes you feel better and gives you more confidence, feel free.
5) Small variations in COL has no affect on accuracy as far as I can determine. If you are shooting groups less than 1.5" at 50 yards, maybe that and head stamp might show some difference, but inside 35 yards it makes no difference.
6) The best thing about a progressive press is that it can produce enough ammunition to give you the trigger-time you need to get good. For pistols, trigger-time beats most other accuracy variables.
7) With a progressive press, never force anything. If something feels wrong or hangs up, remove all cases from the shell plate and work out the problem.
8) If you spill powder, immediately stop what you doing, clear the shellplate, remove it, and clean up. Don't keep reloading until the powder gets under everything and causes problems.
9) At first, feel free to load one round at a time and get used to each stage. You have the advantage of already knowing most of the steps.
10) Take the barrel with you to the bench. This is your ideal case gage.
Use a couple of cases to create inert "dummy" rounds. Use these case set-up each die. Get a separate taper crimp die and don't try to seat and crimp in one step. Use the barrel to establish the max COL that works in your barrel.
Use these two round to establish the initial working COL. Verify the longest COL that fits the magazine and feeds and chambers in your gun.
Load maybe 10 rounds at that COL, then load two or three more 10-rounds sets at progressively slightly shorter COL. At the range, you will learn what COL works best (they all may) and what COL might be more accurate.
I find the RCBS Lock-Out die is excellent on a Dillon. If you find it is difficult to inspect the charge height in each case prior to seating a bullet, the RCBS or Dillon Powder Check die might be a good investment.

DRJ1911
08-16-2012, 07:24
Thanks noylj, I appreciate the help. If my powder arrives today I will load a few tonight and will be following your advise. Thanks again for your help.

Doyle