What's the model of choice ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's the model of choice ?

bravhrt
08-13-2012, 18:44
Hey there,
I'm the new guy here & just discovered GSSF this past weekend. I've watched a few videos of GSSF shoots, but no one seemed to address the issue of choice of weapon. Just looking for some guidance/pros/cons for the 9mm, 40SW, 45ACP. Thanks !

DannyR
08-13-2012, 19:03
The GSSF GLOCK of choice seems to be the G17.

misunderestimated
08-13-2012, 19:04
Hey there,
I'm the new guy here & just discovered GSSF this past weekend. I've watched a few videos of GSSF shoots, but no one seemed to address the issue of choice of weapon. Just looking for some guidance/pros/cons for the 9mm, 40SW, 45ACP. Thanks !

Welcome

I get the best scores with my sons 4 year old bone stock (except for a new front sight) G17 ,its just a great all around gun

ede
08-14-2012, 03:44
All else being egual I'd use a 21 or 37. The 17/19 is going to be most common at GSSF because they're most common in general. From a cost and recoil stand point the 9mm is hard to beat.

Bren
08-14-2012, 05:20
Hey there,

Most people seem to bring more than 1 model to shoot different divisions. At least a 17 and a 26 to shoot in Am. Civ. and subcompact (if they haven't changed the divisions since I shot).

Fisherman
08-14-2012, 07:00
If you need to start with just one gun then the 17 is probably the way to go. Easy to shoot, ammo is the most reasonable and you can shoot in the majority of divisions. :fishing:

The Highlander
08-14-2012, 08:55
The 17 is what I see most. I shoot the 17 in Civilian, 34 in Competition, 26 in Subcompact, and then go wild and shoot a 20 in Heavy Metal because I can. The 21 would be a better choice for HM though.

Frankly, if I were starting out, I'd go with a 17, which can be shot in Civilian and Competition, even Unlimited, right out of the box. My second gun would be the 34.

But, the best choice might be to shoot the gun that you handle best and just qualify for whatever division that puts you in. For example, if I were going to be buying my first Glocks, I would possibly go with a 19 first (great carry gun, and puts me in Civilian class) and then skip the 17 for a 34 (shoot it in Competition and Unlimited). Yes, a bone-stock gun is likely out-classed in Unlimited, but I shoot for fun, and experience. Not just to be first. I have every 9mm Glock except the 18, so I can pick and choose.

My best advice though would be to pick your first Glock, then buy a quality .22lr conversion kit to practice cheaply. Advantage Arms, Tactical Solutions, and probably others to choose from.

Just come to GSSF and shoot. VERY friendly helpful people throughout.

Noponer
08-14-2012, 09:15
Don't forget that a G30, G29 or G39 can be used in all 7 amateur divisions!

If the cost of .45 ammo was not a problem, I would be tempted to use my G30 only for GSSF. My scores with it are as good as any other I have used in GSSF, including my G34 (except for one single match, where I got my best score ever with the G34).

Njanear
08-14-2012, 16:34
Hey there,

Welcome to the forum. :wavey:

Are you buying this Glock just for GSSF shooting or will you be using it for other shoots/activities? That may lead you to choose one model over another.

I will have to say that the G17 is a great all-around model, as is the G19 - 9mm is relatively inexpensive ammo (you will be leaving up to 104 brass cases on the ground for every GSSF category that you shoot) and both can serve well in numerous activities (to include being carry guns). I have quite a few Glocks to choose from and for some reason, I seem to shoot a old GEN3 G17 better than my G34 and several others in both GSSF and Steel Challenge. :dunno:

MajorD
08-16-2012, 09:33
when starting out you will want to practice a lot, and the 9mm is the most affordable to shoot a lot of, unless you reload. Most beginners handle the lighter recoil of the 9mm better as well. A 17 or 19 is probably the best place to start. Other than being able to enter categories for which the 9mm is not eligible (heavy metal, major sub) there is no advantage to the heavier recoiling more expensive to shoot calibers.