Anything to be aware of traveling to Fort Worth, TX? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anything to be aware of traveling to Fort Worth, TX?

tnedator
08-13-2012, 19:27
I'm traveling in from Arkansas. Texas is reciprocal, but I didn't know if there are any city statutes in Dallas or Arlington that I will be passing through, or downtown Fort Worth where I will be staying.

Are their any city statutes/ordinances that would be gotchas that I should know about?

Any advice for an out of towner coming to Fort Worth?

Thanks

Chris Brines
08-13-2012, 19:58
Idk about Ft. Worth but I live in Houston, and from what I understand TX is all the same. I'd say don't carry in bars, polling places, churches, government buildings, or any place with a "30.06 sign". (Penal code that gives people the right to prohibit CCW in their places of business.). Besides that you should be ok, TX is a pretty gun friendly state.

tnedator
08-13-2012, 20:26
Am I correct in understanding that the 30.06 signs will have very specific language as laid out in the statute, a short paragraph. Not just a sign that says "No Weapons" or "30.06 -- No weapons" or anything like that?

Also, restaurants that serve alcohol are ok, correct. No bars, but your Red Lobster, Chile's, etc. are ok. Right?

I appreciate the help.

BuzznRose
08-13-2012, 20:54
Am I correct in understanding that the 30.06 signs will have very specific language as laid out in the statute, a short paragraph. Not just a sign that says "No Weapons" or "30.06 -- No weapons" or anything like that?

Also, restaurants that serve alcohol are ok, correct. No bars, but your Red Lobster, Chile's, etc. are ok. Right?

I appreciate the help.

This will help...

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

rick458
08-13-2012, 21:06
Just look for 30.06 or 50% signs (50% or more sale from sale AND consuption of alchohol on premises)
Plus Post offices, court houses, amusement parks.
No automatic knives or double edged knives

bobby_w
08-13-2012, 21:29
Just look for 30.06 or 50% signs (50% or more sale from sale AND consuption of alchohol on premises)

It is a 51% sign.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSu0cF_QNLNHX80aQObNH8m8hkHefEgjFUKFL8RyqXXC400jFFsUYTn3RIy

rick458
08-13-2012, 21:46
I stand corrected

Chris Brines
08-13-2012, 21:55

I appreciate the help.

Yes they have very specific criteria they must meet to be considered valid. If they don't meet those criteria, then you don't have to acknowledge them. Here, check this out:

http://texas3006.com/

SMOKEin
08-13-2012, 21:59

The sign actually says 51%.

Enjoy your stay.

janice6
08-13-2012, 21:59
If you have any spare time, drive to the Lockheed Martin assembly building in Ft. Worth. They have guided tours. I was walked through the F16 assembly line and it was incredable. Worth the trip.

Great Aluminum plates in one end and finished fighters ready to go out the other door -- One building and one roof.

tnedator
08-14-2012, 06:25
Thanks to everyone for the help.

If you have any spare time, drive to the Lockheed Martin assembly building in Ft. Worth. They have guided tours. I was walked through the F16 assembly line and it was incredable. Worth the trip.

Great Aluminum plates in one end and finished fighters ready to go out the other door -- One building and one roof.

I'll only have one spare day, but I'm going to check on this. Sounds like something I would like. Thanks.

Sharkey
08-14-2012, 11:45
Thanks to everyone for the help.

I'll only have one spare day, but I'm going to check on this. Sounds like something I would like. Thanks.

Cowtown is a great place. It's a bit hot here now. Visit Sundance Sq. for various restaurants. Stockyards is a good place to go. Riscky's BBQ in both locations is decent.

Arts district is nice too specifically the Modern and the Kimball museums. Freebirds off 7th/Univeristy would be a good place for lunch.

As for carrying, keep it concealed and mind your p's and q's and you won't have any issues at all.

dawg23
08-15-2012, 08:21
Idk about Ft. Worth but I live in Houston, and from what I understand TX is all the same. I'd say don't carry in bars, polling places, churches, government buildings, or any place with a "30.06 sign". (Penal code that gives people the right to prohibit CCW in their places of business.). Besides that you should be ok, TX is a pretty gun friendly state.

I thought churches, unless posted with a 30.06 sign, were OK for CCW permit holders.

Christopherloaf
08-15-2012, 09:23
I think I saw schools mentioned as well but just in case, since it's fresh on my mind from my CHL class two weeks ago:

No schools: public, private, college or otherwise or any school sporting event.

No professional sporting events or event buildings UNLESS that building is owned by the city and allows carry in the building IF there is not a sporting event currently happening. (good example is the American Airlines Center and the fact that it hosts concerts.)

No court offices, post offices, court rooms, or otherwise unless special permission is given from those establishments.

The aforementioned 30.06 sign and 51% sign are the only LEGAL lawful carry signs permitted in Texas. Any other sign you can walk right by however, you'd effectively be trespassing if you were asked to leave because of your firearm and refused. Never heard of that happening though.

An amusement park

Church or or other established place of religious worship.

NO open carry.

Texas law also states that if stopped by a police officer and asked to provide ID, the CHL must be presented along with the other valid, state, photo ID.

Vehicle carry must also be concealed.

Those are all of the extremely important ones and also all I can remember.

rangerabn
08-16-2012, 11:07
Just remember, in Texas "He needed killin'" is a valid legal defense. :supergrin:

deadmanglocking
08-16-2012, 11:45
Six flags is off limits as it is open more than 180 days a year. As everyone said 51% and 30.06 posted is the only thing to watch for.

PettyOfficer
08-16-2012, 13:17
Edited for apparent inaccuracy.

deadmanglocking
08-16-2012, 13:26
If you are carrying a gun in Texas you MUST present chl with your license to Leo's

RenegadeGlocker
08-16-2012, 13:52
I thought churches, unless posted with a 30.06 sign, were OK for CCW permit holders.

Yes, churches and amusement parks are GTG unless 30.06 posted.

RenegadeGlocker
08-16-2012, 13:53
I'm pretty sure it's not a "must" but a "damn well better". You do not have to, but should. If they look you up and the system says you have your license but did n mention it, that will make the officer very uncomfortable very fast.

Perhaps a Texas LEO can clarify.

It is must, but there is no penalty of you do not.

RenegadeGlocker
08-16-2012, 13:54
Six flags is off limits as it is open more than 180 days a year. As everyone said 51% and 30.06 posted is the only thing to watch for.

Six Flags is off limits because it is 30.06. Amusement parks in general are not banned.

Christopherloaf
08-16-2012, 15:30
Renegade is correct; here is PENAL CODE

TITLE 10. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH, SAFETY, AND MORALS

CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS: (I'll skip down to the churches and amusement parks part)

 *on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.
 *On the premises of a Hospital licensed under the Health and Safety Code
 *On the premises of a nursing home licensed under the Health and Safety Code
 *Amusement parks. Amusement Parks means a permanent indoor or outdoor facility or park where
amusement rides are available for use by the public that is located in a county with a population of
more than one million, encompasses at least 75 acres in surface area, is enclosed with access only
through controlled entries, is open for operation more than 120 days in each calendar year, and has
security guards on the premises at all times. The term does not include any public or private
driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
 Public or private premises conspicuously posted with a Sign that meets these Criteria.
 Items above marked * Do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

Note the *...that's the important part. Didn't catch that the first time. Glad to learn something new!

PettyOfficer
08-16-2012, 16:05
Renegade is correct; here is PENAL CODE

TITLE 10. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH, SAFETY, AND MORALS

CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS: (I'll skip down to the churches and amusement parks part)
. . .
 Items above marked * Do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

Note the *...that's the important part. Didn't catch that the first time. Glad to learn something new!

Verbal notice is "Effective notice" in lieu of a proper 30.06 sign.

Just reinforcing the point, even though I suspect most of us know this.

There has yet to be a case where said notice was made over a PA system. Not that I've ever heard a PA announcement of such sort, but I doubt a prosecutor could prove anybody being charged was effectively notified such they there was no doubt they were aware of the request.

Christopherloaf
08-16-2012, 17:59
That would be hilarious if an establishment tried that. I'd laugh my butt off if I heard of that happening. "Yeah you're honor, we made an announcement over the PA at 13:45 so that satisfies communication."

Judge is going to ask, "well what if you came in after 13:45 sir?"

Silence from the establishment with a blank look.

Judge's response: :rofl:

RenegadeGlocker
08-16-2012, 20:42
That would be hilarious if an establishment tried that. I'd laugh my butt off if I heard of that happening. "Yeah you're honor, we made an announcement over the PA at 13:45 so that satisfies communication."

Judge is going to ask, "well what if you came in after 13:45 sir?"

I am told Six Flags does it. The Announcement is continuous, along with other instructions to guests.

LAWDOGKMS
08-16-2012, 21:46
I'm certainly not advising anyone to break any laws, but if I were simply a CCW'er, i think my mindset would be like a non-cop friend of mine, who believes it is his god given right to responsibly carry where he feels the need to carry. (with the exception of secured venues like courthouses, sporting events where they use magnetometers etc..)

And when you "carry responsibly"' that means:

-you don't get drunk., only idiots get "drunk" in public in this day and age. Sure, I'll carry and have a few, it has never been a problem, but that's it, just a few, with-food. Save the getting sloshed for the house party. If you can't drink responsibly, you shouldn't be carrying.

-you carry a discreet weapon in a discreet holster, not some 1911 or desert eagle that prints everytime you brush your hair out of your eyes. I do take more effort to carry a smaller or more concealable weapon when going to a "questionable carry place" (i.e. a smaller gun IWB or an ankle holster). What I'm saying is, where I'd have no qualms about carrying a midsize glock under a t shirt in a serpa paddle to Walmart, knowing that although technically concealed, someone paying attention might notice the bulge, I would be much more discreet in my carry if going to dinner and drinks with friends.. For the record, I have NEVER been "made" at a restaurant, sporting event or bar.

-you don't talk about it, show it off or let anyone know you have it

-you use it in a last ditch effort to save your life..and then violating some businesse's silly anti-gun policy or signage will be way overshadowed by the fact that you almost died, but saved your ass with your CCW! Of course if you're dead you won't worry about it at all.

If the Colorado theater shooting had been stopped by a valid ccw'er who happened to violate the theater's posted signage, how aggressively do you think the law would be going after the ccw'er?

And that's the only time you use it..LAST DITCH!

NOT to play-hero when the convenience store is getting robbed, or pulling it in the middle of a barfight when you should have walked away anyhow...last ditch save-your-life usage.

The old saying, "better to be judged by 12"....comes to mind..

smokeross
08-16-2012, 22:33
In Ft Worth you should be on the look out for TEXANS. They talk funny and wear weird boots. Don't trust them.

JackMac
08-17-2012, 19:28
Angelo's for the best BBQ in the State, White Elephant Saloon in the Stockyards, and don't forget BillyBob's the biggest Honky Tonk in the State. Great shows there at BillyBobs, for western and country music. Try some Shiner beers, made in Shiner Texas, while you're there. Garcia's, near the stockyards is real good Mexican cuisine too. Have fun and keep your equip. concealed, don't take into bars, use good judgment and you'll be fine partner!

tnedator
08-17-2012, 23:10
In Colorado, from what I understand, the "no weapons" sign at the theater didn't carry the force of law, but at least on off duty law enforcement officer said he left his gun in the car to honor the sign.

Anyway, back in Texas. I have seen a number of that state something like, "the unlicensed possession of a firearm is a felonly....." I don't believe these are the 30.06 signs, but I am looking for clarification. Does carrying a CCL that Texas honors constitute being "licensed" and means I don't have to worry about those signs. I have read about blue and red signs, and I think these were signs with blue lettering, both in English and Spanish. I saw one in a hotel bar, and one at a Pappadeux restaraunt.

Christopherloaf
08-18-2012, 08:14
The only signs in Texas that have legal backing are the 30.06 and the 51% sign. Both also have to meet certain requirements. The 30.06 sign has to be in English and Spanish, contrasting colors, letters at least an inch and height, and has to be posted at all entrances and clearly visible. The 51% sign my instructor didn't really seem to get into the total legality of that sign as detailed as the 30.06 except to say the 51% has to be in red and it has to be in clear view and not hidden or in any place difficult to see. Any sign posted in Texas that has the "ghostbusters" no-gun sign is not legal therefore can be ignored. However, like I stated in another post if you're made because of your concealed weapon and you refuse to leave, that's criminal trespass. At that point you shouldn't be made. Like stated in the above post, most signs I've seen are for the unlawful carry of a firearm. I see those almost everywhere I go, they are not the 30.06 sign and they're saying if you bring a firearm onto these premises and you don't have a license to carry one, you'll be in big trouble if you get caught.

30.06 Example of a possible good sign:
http://www.2swordsprotection.com/images/30.06.jpg

tnedator
08-18-2012, 09:28
The only signs in Texas that have legal backing are the 30.06 and the 51% sign. Both also have to meet certain requirements. The 30.06 sign has to be in English and Spanish, contrasting colors, letters at least an inch and height, and has to be posted at all entrances and clearly visible. The 51% sign my instructor didn't really seem to get into the total legality of that sign as detailed as the 30.06 except to say the 51% has to be in red and it has to be in clear view and not hidden or in any place difficult to see. Any sign posted in Texas that has the "ghostbusters" no-gun sign is not legal therefore can be ignored. However, like I stated in another post if you're made because of your concealed weapon and you refuse to leave, that's criminal trespass. At that point you shouldn't be made. Like stated in the above post, most signs I've seen are for the unlawful carry of a firearm. I see those almost everywhere I go, they are not the 30.06 sign and they're saying if you bring a firearm onto these premises and you don't have a license to carry one, you'll be in big trouble if you get caught.

30.06 Example of a possible good sign:
http://www.2swordsprotection.com/images/30.06.jpg

thanks, that example image helps a lot. I had read that it needed to contain certain language, but then when I saw several signs that were exactly the same (the carry of an unlicensed weapon...) I started to doubt what I thought I knew about the Texas signs.

Thanks again.

jtull7
08-18-2012, 10:47
Angelo's is probably not the best BBQ in the State, but it is the best BBQ in Ft. Worth. Joe T. Garcia's is a legendary Tex-Mex palace. Ft. Worth is a very cool town.

AZson
08-18-2012, 18:32

I worked there for a couple of weeks years ago to do some rework for my company. It is impressive.

tnedator
08-18-2012, 19:53
I worked there for a couple of weeks years ago to do some rework for my company. It is impressive.

I searched high and low for info on tours at Lockheed Martin and could find nothing. Not sure if they've stopped doing them or what's going on. I would love to do the tour. If they are still doing them, hopefully on my next trip.

Tarheel72
08-19-2012, 20:38
Just to clarify something you asked in your original post: State law prohibits any local government from passing any law related to concealed carry. In other words if it isn’t in the state law then it doesn’t hold any force. Some places tried to pass tighter controls and the state cracked down on them. So all you have to worry about is one state law, it is the same everywhere in Texas.

And It was my understanding that you had to identify yourself as a CHL holder if a law enforcement official asked you for identification and if you did not you were subject to some misdemeanor. Maybe I am wrong but I see no reason not to tell them. I have only had it happen once in 15 or so years I have carried and he just told me to keep it in the holster.

Christopherloaf
02-12-2013, 07:13
Tarheel is correct on all accounts. Especially the CHL permit part. In Texas you are required by law to present your CHL along with your state issued ID, be it a drivers license or state ID card. If you're pulled over in a car, detained on the street or any reason a police officer asks to see your ID. I don't know if it would be a misdemeanor or what but its required here.

RenegadeGlocker
02-12-2013, 09:53
Tarheel is correct on all accounts. Especially the CHL permit part. In Texas you are required by law to present your CHL along with your state issued ID, be it a drivers license or state ID card. If you're pulled over in a car, detained on the street or any reason a police officer asks to see your ID. I don't know if it would be a misdemeanor or what but its required here.

There is no longer a penalty for failing to show your CHL.

Christopherloaf
02-12-2013, 10:10
I wonder if that changed after August? Lady that thought my class might have misinformed too. Thoughts?

tnedator
02-12-2013, 12:01
Since this thread got bumped, I was wondering if anyone had the contact information for the Lockheed Martin tours or if they stopped doing them. I was never able to find a number to call to find out about a tour.

RenegadeGlocker
02-12-2013, 12:01
I wonder if that changed after August? Lady that thought my class might have misinformed too. Thoughts?

It was changed in the 2009 Legislative session. Since the Motorist Protection Act does not require Non-CHL to display (since they have nothing to display), it made little sense to require CHLs to display. For whatever reason, instead of removing the requirment to display, they removed the penalty for not displaying.

SCmasterblaster
02-12-2013, 12:23
It is a 51% sign.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSu0cF_QNLNHX80aQObNH8m8hkHefEgjFUKFL8RyqXXC400jFFsUYTn3RIy

That sign makes me sick . . . .

OctoberRust
02-12-2013, 16:17

I believe churches are legal to carry in, unless posted with 30.06.... Correct me if I'm wrong, since I don't go to church, and don't know first hand.

RenegadeGlocker
02-12-2013, 16:18
I believe churches are legal to carry in, unless posted with 30.06.... Correct me if I'm wrong, since I don't go to church, and don't know first hand.

Correct, most ordinary govt buildings are OK too, not courts.

17&27
02-13-2013, 14:25
1) Look for the 30.06 od 51% signs
2) Make sure you walk around or step over the cow paddies.

Tired Retired
02-14-2013, 21:21
Since no one else has mentioned it, I thought I would tell you about a few areas that may very very dangerous for you to travel in. They all are on the north/northeast side of Fort Worth, in the I-820 and I-35W area. Its kind of like the points of a triangle...

The first point is on TX-121 up near the DFW airport. The second is on I-820 north at I-35W. The third is just north of that on I-35W at Exit 65. These are really wild places and you can EASILY lose your wallet at any of these places. You will know if you get there - they are clearly marked - Bass Pro Shop, Cheaper Than Dirt (Out Door Adventures) and Cabelas'.

Just don't loose all your money before you leave town and say you were not warned!!!!

Seriously, those places are in this local are along with some other fine gunshops. There is a gunshow in the area almost every weekend. While you couldn't buy a firearm directly (ok, have your FFL back home order from a FFL here), you can buy ammo and all the accessories you can carry. Several decent gun ranges, too. This is Texas, might as well enjoy your visit - you might just decide to stay!

Have fun!!!

uhlawpup
02-15-2013, 08:43
By the way, if you're NOT carrying and stopped by a cop, it's okay to show him your permit and tell him you're not carrying.

If you do, though, his next question will probably be, "Why the heck not?"

SCmasterblaster
02-15-2013, 12:12
By the way, if you're NOT carrying and stopped by a cop, it's okay to show him your permit and tell him you're not carrying.

If you do, though, his next question will probably be, "Why the heck not?"

A GOOD question.

TXPamIAm
02-17-2013, 23:24
-----