Ever have a Oh crap moment? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ever have a Oh crap moment?

NEOH212
08-14-2012, 01:24
Well I did a few weeks ago. I found a lump on my left breast. After several tests and waiting.........

It turns out it was just a cyst under the skin. The doctor drained it and removed what was left all is well except a have a few stitches that need to come out in a week or two. Damn did that give me a scare though!

Let this serve as a reminder to all you ladies to get your mammograms and if you find anything during a self examination, DO NOT HESITATE going to the doctor ASAP!

I got lucky this time and it could have been a lot worse. I didn't want to say anything about this until I knew for sure how it was going to turn out but wow, what relief!

:supergrin:

frizz
08-15-2012, 21:16
Well I did a few weeks ago. I found a lump on my left breast. After several tests and waiting.........

It turns out it was just a cyst under the skin. The doctor drained it and removed what was left all is well except a have a few stitches that need to come out in a week or two. Damn did that give me a scare though!

Let this serve as a reminder to all you ladies to get your mammograms and if you find anything during a self examination, DO NOT HESITATE going to the doctor ASAP!

I got lucky this time and it could have been a lot worse. I didn't want to say anything about this until I knew for sure how it was going to turn out but wow, what relief!

:supergrin:

I had one. The tissue in my breast is irregular, so it is hard to tell when something is off. My "oh crap" came when there was a new thing that felt like a large BB.

I was a little worried when he emphatically said, "We are GOING to mammogram this."

BTW, I am a man. The amount of breast tissue is on the high side of normal, but I am fat so that adds to it. Yeah, I know. Moobs.

It really feels strange being the only man in the mammogram center. Luckily, it didn't hurt when they used the boob smasher on me.

BTW, negative result, and the thing went away over 2-3 years.

frizz
08-15-2012, 21:44
My wife's "Oh crap moment."

This is a little literal, but my wife was spotting blood on toilet tissue. She takes a blood thinner, and almost didn't mention it to her doctor.

He told her that she needed a colonoscopy. She didn't want one. He was adamant about it.

Good thing. She had a tiny, malignant colo-rectal tumor. We caught it before it was even stage 1 (I didn't know there was a stage 0) and it saved her a lot of pain, possible disability, and just maybe her life.

Our surgeon wouldn't touch it because it was right by the rectal muscle, so he sent her to a specialized surgeon. He literally saved her a -- no colostomy!

I was old enough to be getting a colonoscopy every 2 years, so I got one. Three polyps which were still benign.

As your story says, sometimes the most frightening news turns out to be nothing.

And I'll add to your warning to be vigilant: You shouldn't be bleeding from your fanny. It may be parasites, cancer, or something else.

Oh, don't forget you skin! Get someone to help and take a full body nude, and repeat it from time to time.

NEOH212
08-17-2012, 03:05
Don't feel funny about the breast lump. I personally know one gentleman that had breast cancer. It's not just something that hits women.

I'm glad to hear everything turned out well both for you and your wife.

Weather A doctor were to find cancer or not, I'd rather know and try to treat it early. I used to be the opposite but This incident really got me thinking and helped me get the courage to go to the doctor about something I would have put off years ago.

BonnieB
08-17-2012, 12:04
My sister had one of these, and it truly was an OMG moment. She's not a coward at all, but she was in tears when I got to her, and clearly had been for hours. Her saintly hubby was there, but she really needed another woman at that particular time.

Worse still she had to face her big sister (me) sternly saying "Did you get your mammogram on schedule ! ? Luckily, she had and that was how they found the cyst.

Blessedly, they caught the cyst, drained it and all is well now. But the FEAR !

NEO, I'm pulling for you, and all the others.

NEOH212
08-18-2012, 03:09
My sister had one of these, and it truly was an OMG moment. She's not a coward at all, but she was in tears when I got to her, and clearly had been for hours. Her saintly hubby was there, but she really needed another woman at that particular time.

Worse still she had to face her big sister (me) sternly saying "Did you get your mammogram on schedule ! ? Luckily, she had and that was how they found the cyst.

Blessedly, they caught the cyst, drained it and all is well now. But the FEAR !

NEO, I'm pulling for you, and all the others.

Thanks.

Yes, It's scary and I'm glad it's over. I'm sore though. I think it's getting infected now though! :crying:

BonnieB
08-18-2012, 12:17
See the doc at once if you think it's getting infected. Antibiotics for a week should fix that up. And don't WORry!

With love and compassion,

B

NEOH212
08-18-2012, 16:17
See the doc at once if you think it's getting infected. Antibiotics for a week should fix that up. And don't WORry!

With love and compassion,

B

Thanks. I saw doc and he said it's getting infected. He put me on some antibiotics. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse!

:wavey:

Lone_Wolfe
08-18-2012, 20:57
Amen about getting lumps checked out quickly. I found my lump early this year, and it did turn out to be a very aggressive cancer. Getting on it quickly meant the difference between being the Stage 2 that I am, versus Stage 3 or 4 that I'd be now had I waited.

Lone_Wolfe
08-18-2012, 21:10
BTW, NeOH, glad your's was benign! :wavey: Same for you, frizz, and your sister, Bonnie!

BonnieB
08-19-2012, 00:44
LW, glad you're getting better too. There's just no substitute for annual mammograms and monthly self examination. Let's keep getting the word out!

Best to all,

B

Lone_Wolfe
08-19-2012, 00:46
Hope I'm getting better, anyway. I'm in the middle of chemo, it's too soon to tell if it's working or not.

NEOH212
08-19-2012, 01:47
Hope I'm getting better, anyway. I'm in the middle of chemo, it's too soon to tell if it's working or not.

God Bless you Lone Wolf. I'll keep praying for you. I can't even imagine what your going through with all that. Thanks for the kind words and take care.

:hugs:

:wavey:

NEOH212
08-19-2012, 01:47
LW, glad you're getting better too. There's just no substitute for annual mammograms and monthly self examination. Let's keep getting the word out!

Best to all,

B

Amen Bonnie!

frizz
08-20-2012, 13:48
Don't feel funny about the breast lump. I personally know one gentleman that had breast cancer. It's not just something that hits women.

I'm glad to hear everything turned out well both for you and your wife.

Weather A doctor were to find cancer or not, I'd rather know and try to treat it early. I used to be the opposite but This incident really got me thinking and helped me get the courage to go to the doctor about something I would have put off years ago.

Thank you. There was a prominent man in my city who had breast cancer sometime 1-2 years ago. He went public to make sure men were aware of the risk.

BonnieB
08-20-2012, 14:10
Thank you. There was a prominent man in my city who had breast cancer sometime 1-2 years ago. He went public to make sure men were aware of the risk.

Odd, why it's news, when men " go public " with breast cancer. I know they don't think of themselves as having 'breasts', but would they hesitate, if they had lung cancer?

I think men don't get mastectomies, so how are they suppose to detect breast cancer? Wait until the lump is big enough to see? Not good.

janice6
08-20-2012, 14:23
Deleted

Glock&KimberLady
08-20-2012, 16:42
I had an oh crap moment but it wasn't in my bewb, it was in my foot. The podiatrist squawked SARCOMA because of the MRI...then came the go-round of "sarcoma doc won't touch it because it was in my foot and they didn't want to affect my mobility"...and the ortho doc wouldn't touch it because they thought it was this wildly invasive nasty cancer. I was researching adaptive snowboarding because the only cure looked to be below the knee amputation.

It was a wild six weeks before I found a foot doc who'd dealt with cancer before and it was actually a benign fibroma from repeatedly tearing the tendon in my foot (I snowboard...um...HARD). But yeah, that was six weeks of looking at my four kids and husband, and his measuring me for a coffin, beore the all clear was sounded. (biopsies were inconclusive)

Glad all stories came out (relatively) well.

Glock&KimberLady
08-20-2012, 16:44
Amen about getting lumps checked out quickly. I found my lump early this year, and it did turn out to be a very aggressive cancer. Getting on it quickly meant the difference between being the Stage 2 that I am, versus Stage 3 or 4 that I'd be now had I waited.

And derp on me, how are you feeling these days?

Lone_Wolfe
08-20-2012, 20:32
And derp on me, how are you feeling these days?

"Like crap" would be putting it mildly, I'm about halfway through chemo. Still have issues from a 3 1/2 year old injury, too. :ack: But hey, you folks aren't rid of me yet! :tongueout: :wavey:

I remember your scared, that had a bunch of us worried for you. Such a relief that one turned out benign! :phew:

Glock&KimberLady
08-20-2012, 20:58
"Like crap" would be putting it mildly, I'm about halfway through chemo. Still have issues from a 3 1/2 year old injury, too. :ack: But hey, you folks aren't rid of me yet! :tongueout: :wavey:

I remember your scared, that had a bunch of us worried for you. Such a relief that one turned out benign! :phew:

Have a family friend - second mom - going through chemo for leukemia, on her 3rd day. So far she's had mild symptoms, but she also doesn't complain much...

Xoxoxoxoxo You will burn through this and shoot out the other side...I think you are definitely one of God's tougher creatures. :hugs:

janice6
08-20-2012, 21:10
Deleted

Lone_Wolfe
08-20-2012, 22:24
Have a family friend - second mom - going through chemo for leukemia, on her 3rd day. So far she's had mild symptoms, but she also doesn't complain much...

Xoxoxoxoxo You will burn through this and shoot out the other side...I think you are definitely one of God's tougher creatures. :hugs:

I sure hope her's stay mild. A ot depend what chemo drugs she's getting. On the Adriamycin/Cytoxin my symptoms got worse with each dose. Now I'm on the third dose of Taxol, but I had to skip a week after the first dose to make an emergency trip to see a friend, so it's hard to tell yet if it's going to get worse with each dose. Seems like it is, though. Funny, you folks think I'm tough and I think I'm a wuss.

Janice, glad your scare turned out to be just that, too. :phew:

BonnieB
08-21-2012, 00:26
LW, "wussness" is a very relative term. We know you're brave, even if you don't admit it. And we're here for you.

Glock&KimberLady
08-21-2012, 13:24
@LW - she's doing a seven day course, first 3 days are Idarubicin + Cytarabine, the remaining four days are Cytarabine only. What was scary was how fast this came on, went from mildly tired, routine blood test b/c she has meds, to holy **** you have LEUKEMIA.

People think you're tough because you're not on here wailing and crying and saying WHY ME! I know you're privately a wuss (heehee I tease in the most loving way possible) :hugs:

Lone_Wolfe
08-21-2012, 14:45
Didn't I do enough crying and 'WHY Me?'ing about getting shot in the last few years t be officially classified a wuss? :rofl:

I just keep the wailing and crying to one thread for the most part. And you're right, privatly I'm a wimp, coward, and a wuss. :embarassed: :wavey:

janice6
08-21-2012, 14:47
Deleted

Lone_Wolfe
08-21-2012, 14:48
BTW, your friend with leukumia sounds like she's taking her chemo orally. Those are USUALLY much milder wise effects. Hopefully that'll be the casr for her? So just one week and she's done. Or one week as you described, then rinse and repeat?

BonnieB
08-22-2012, 19:46
Here's an OH, YES !! Moment ! Because we can all use a happy moment.

Lone Wolf, this is for you.

http://news.yahoo.com/battle-tested-female-war-vets-run-congress-191652605.html

Here's a link to an article on Armed Services War Veterans, who happen to be women, running for Congress. Some have already won. Many were wounded.

One was the first woman ever to fly a fighter jet in combat.

Another forced the Secretary of Defense to remove the requirement that female military in Saudi Arabia had to wear headscarves and veils on duty !

It's a good day ! This is what I'm talking about when I say I'm a feminist.

Lone_Wolfe
08-22-2012, 20:06
That's pretty cool, thanks. But, NO, I'm not going to run for any office! :rofl:

frizz
08-23-2012, 14:40
Odd, why it's news, when men " go public " with breast cancer. I know they don't think of themselves as having 'breasts', but would they hesitate, if they had lung cancer?

I think men don't get mastectomies, so how are they suppose to detect breast cancer? Wait until the lump is big enough to see? Not good.

I guess it is news because male breast cancer is rather uncommon. It is good when it is news because 1) it is common enough for men to think about.... and 2) it reminds women if they have forgotten.

SAVE THE TA-TAS!

Remember that campaign?

BonnieB
08-23-2012, 14:55
I said it wrong. I meant "I think men don't get mammograms", not mastectomies.... Sorry

Lone_Wolfe
08-23-2012, 17:06

SAVE THE TA-TAS!

Remember that campaign?

No saving mine, they're coming off after I finish chemo.

BonnieB
08-29-2012, 21:08
How are our wounded warrior women doing?

Neoh, how's the incision?

Lone Wolf, how are you doing?

Anyone I missed, let us know how you are.

And have you noticed the men want NO PART of this thread? :tongueout:

Lone_Wolfe
08-30-2012, 23:43
Hey Bonnie, I'm still here, and that's about all I can say. Thanks for asking. :wavey:

Sigobsessed
08-31-2012, 18:34
Neoh I'm glad your alright ,lone wolf keep your chin up you are a fighter and are going to beat this thing.you lady's are right this is a tough subject for men. I think if everyone pitches inand works together we will find a cure for this disease. I'm a truck driver for a local garbage company,and we ave a pink toter program that we donate $5 dollars towards the cure for every customer that signs up. We had over 250 new customers this week alone. We are also putting together a team to walk in the American cancer society's walking for the cure,I know this is just a drop in the bucket but every little bit helps. I would encourage everyone to go to the American cancer society's web site and pick out a team and pledge a donation towards the cure. I think everyone has a friend or family member who has been a victim of this and it's the least we can do
Thanks. Sigobsessed