Best mag for the AK? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best mag for the AK?

jstormbringer
08-14-2012, 06:28
Heading back downrange and looking for advice on aftermarket AK mags, tired of cut springs and dented sideways crap i'm gonna take my own. I found some Tapco any reports on em?
Thanks guys

CBennett
08-14-2012, 06:50
for AK 74 they are almost all you can AFFORDABLY get but if your talking the AK 47 then there and MANY better ones out there

zhix
08-14-2012, 07:20
I havn't had a problem with Romanian or whatever century supplies, Bulagarian with plastic follower and crappy paint finish, and the 'East German' ones without a rib on the back that AIM Surplus sells. I also really like the Hungarian tanker 20rds I got from Keep Shooting; kind of expensive but I didn't find them cheaper anywhere else and most of them looked brand new.

fnfalman
08-14-2012, 08:12
Commies or ex-commies steel mags. It's that easy and cheap.

GlockMonk
08-14-2012, 08:53
+1 Best mags for the AKs are the ones made by the commies!

GlockMonk

ranger1968
08-14-2012, 09:20

This right here.

plouffedaddy
08-14-2012, 09:34

Yup. Avoid at all costs the Korean metal mags and Promag. Circle 10s are generally held up as the best poly mag but I've never had an issue with my Gen2 US Palm mag--even after repeatedly dropping it while fully loaded (for an upcoming review :supergrin:)

motorcyclist
08-14-2012, 10:38
I have yet to have a mag not work. Some a little loose, one fits tight, some rattle, some don't but they all feed fine.

G36's Rule
08-14-2012, 10:45
Heading back downrange and looking for advice on aftermarket AK mags, tired of cut springs and dented sideways crap i'm gonna take my own. I found some Tapco any reports on em?
Thanks guys

What does "heading back downrange" mean? I'm assuming military and going back to war, but why would you want AK stuff?

KalashniKEV
08-14-2012, 11:21
Euro pattern steel.

What does "heading back downrange" mean? I'm assuming military and going back to war, but why would you want AK stuff?

That's a bold assumption.

plouffedaddy
08-14-2012, 11:31
Euro pattern steel.

:agree:

G36's Rule
08-14-2012, 11:50
Euro pattern steel.

Why? Are there certain things we can't ask about?

Glockdude1
08-14-2012, 11:54
Any steel commie mags will work great.

:cool:

fnfalman
08-14-2012, 12:17

Maybe he's a mercenary and not wanting to be saddled with a mattel toy?

Maybe he's a mercenary who needs to blend in with the locals?

G36's Rule
08-14-2012, 12:21
:thumbsup:

HKLovingIT
08-14-2012, 14:30
Metal Commie Mags. They have East German ones here.

http://whatacountry.com/ak-47.aspx

I've ordered stuff from here a number of times.

I checked aimsurplus.com They seem pretty well out at the moment.

On a side note, wow AK mags are going up in price.

plouffedaddy
08-14-2012, 15:52
Metal Commie Mags. They have East German ones here.

http://whatacountry.com/ak-47.aspx

I've ordered stuff from here a number of times.

I checked aimsurplus.com They seem pretty well out at the moment.

On a side note, wow AK mags are going up in price.

I know. I'm really considering buying a bunch just to sell later. They're getting to be how the 5.45 mags were about 18 months ago.

crazymoose
08-14-2012, 17:37
The Bulgie "Circle 10" waffle mags are my favorite in any caliber. They're durable, and won't rust. For the -47, just about any of the former Soviet Bloc metal ones are good, too. However, they're prone to rust if you're going to be using them hard and sweating on them. Not a huge functional issue unless it gets really out of hand, but it's another thing to wipe down and maintain at the end of the day.

Spiffums
08-14-2012, 18:31
So Merc's have to supply their own gear now? What happens if something breaks.....does Brownell's deliver out to astan now?

KalashniKEV
08-14-2012, 19:07
So Merc's have to supply their own gear now? What happens if something breaks.....does Brownell's deliver out to astan now?

Your post is chock full of FAIL...

1) What's with this "Mercs?"

2) Who else is going to buy it for them? Lots of gear gets sourced locally... I would probably bring my own mags too in the event I was issued a wet chest rig full of rusty, dented mags.

3) What happens if something breaks? Good question. I guess that's why he's asking about AK mags and not one of the more maintenance intensive Infantry rifles...

4) Yes, everyone delivers to Afghanistan... if the item is ITAR controlled though, you will have to get it shipped to a friend or family member who will then send it to you as a "gift."

Jade Falcon
08-14-2012, 20:22
I have the Bulgarian "Circle 10" 30 round mag, a Bulgarian "Bullet" 40 round mag, and a Tapco 30 round mag, all three are polymer, and all 3 work great in my Romanian. I've never had a problem with any of them, and they've never been serviced/stripped and cleaned.

CBennett
08-14-2012, 20:33
i can say al mine are circle 10 or circle 21(i think) and they work great. The thing i think the mill surplus circle 10/21 mags have over the tapcos are the metal parts in the mouth/lip area

Restless28
08-14-2012, 20:58
The mags seem like the weak link in the AK. To get mags on the same quality level of PMags for the AR costs big $. PMags are top notch and are $15.

I love the AK, but the AR platform is growing on me.
Truth at 2799 ft. per sec.

ranger1968
08-14-2012, 21:11
The mags seem like the weak link in the AK. To get mags on the same quality level of PMags for the AR costs big $. PMags are top notch and are $15.

I love the AK, but the AR platform is growing on me.
Truth at 2799 ft. per sec.

Actually, the mags are one of the stronger parts of the system; the surplus Euro mags are top notch, and still cheaper than P-mags for the AR platform....

The military AK magazine has always been built like a tank, and they are very, very sturdy.

I just wish they were still $5 a piece.

glock2740
08-14-2012, 21:19

+1 Best mags for the AKs are the ones made by the commies!

GlockMonk
:rofl:How true. I think my AK loves anything cheap. The most expensive ammo it's ever eaten is Brown Bear. :cool: That and some cigarette butts and peanut hulls. :supergrin:

Restless28
08-14-2012, 21:21
Actually, the mags are one of the stronger parts of the system; the surplus Euro mags are top notch, and still cheaper than P-mags for the AR platform....

The military AK magazine has always been built like a tank, and they are very, very sturdy.

The good ol days are gone for sure. The drop test on the KVar site covinced me that Circle mags were the only option for the AK. That's an interesting video.

NEOH212
08-15-2012, 02:52

+1 on that!

Steer clear of the crap plastic mags. They simply don't belong in a AK!

CBennett
08-15-2012, 06:42

heck I wish my AK 74 mags were ak 47 price :shocked:
I get supply and demand..but if id known how bad this would have gotten id have just gotten the standard AK 47 instead the ammo price will be easily made up in mag prices...I mean $30+ for 1 lousy mag :( looks like its Tapcos for me from here on out lol...glad its just a range toy.

never enough
08-15-2012, 12:02
Never has a problem with circle 10 mags

fnfalman
08-15-2012, 13:23
Never has a problem with circle 10 mags

I bought the Circle 10 plastic Bulgarian mags when they were the same price as the steel mags. I wouldn't pay more than the steel mag's price for it. It's not that much lighter (which is good because it's sturdily built) and slightly bulkier than the steel mags.

Apropos of nothing, if you were to run out of ammo, your pistol is jammed, your bayonet is broken and the wooden stock snapped, you can still bludgeon the bejesus out of somebody with the steel AK mags.:wow::faint:

jstormbringer
08-15-2012, 13:23
Your post is chock full of FAIL...

1) What's with this "Mercs?"

2) Who else is going to buy it for them? Lots of gear gets sourced locally... I would probably bring my own mags too in the event I was issued a wet chest rig full of rusty, dented mags.

3) What happens if something breaks? Good question. I guess that's why he's asking about AK mags and not one of the more maintenance intensive Infantry rifles...

4) Yes, everyone delivers to Afghanistan... if the item is ITAR controlled though, you will have to get it shipped to a friend or family member who will then send it to you as a "gift."

I have dumped sand out of "new" mags found about 4 inches of springs in mags you name I've it seen it, last one I carried was date stamped 1963 and it was literally dug out of the ground still went bang and saved my rear though.... local issue for 'companies' is a crap shoot at best, with locals sitting on their A@# with brand new M4's :ack:

BTW, the prob is no new permits for importing and if you do the "tax" makes a Glock $1500
Also no OPSEC violation asking about local weapons, just need your guys experience its my rear on the line and I ask here for a reason

O' way bad taste with the whole "MERC" mentioned prior, that's a nogo

FireForged
08-15-2012, 19:29
I have been shooting AK vairants since the 80's and I can tell you that although mags with a pronounced spine are stronger than those without, I have found that smooth backed China mags fit better in a larger variety of variants. My favorite mags for any AK vairant is the Chinese magazine with chrome follower and more than one witness hole.

jstormbringer
08-15-2012, 20:33
Thanks guys for all the input I'm gonna try a few and make it happen!

Texas-Glock
08-15-2012, 21:01

Agreed.