The stories white guys tell themselves [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The stories white guys tell themselves

snerd
08-14-2012, 10:49
We're both racist and gullible.
Joan Didion wrote, "We tell ourselves stories in order to live." I'd modify that slightly for this presidential election year and say, we tell ourselves stories in order to vote. Which is why Mitt Romney maintains a huge lead in the polls among blue-collar white men.

The differential is staggering. Non-college-educated white men give Romney a 37-point advantage over President Barack Obama according to a recent ABC News/Washington Post poll. Why would struggling wage earners support a candidate who would give tax cuts to the top 1 percent, a group that controls 43 percent of the wealth in the country, while adding to the tax burdens of people at the lower end of the income scale? Racial issues aside and I'm not discounting the significant "black president" factor, it comes down to the power of myth and story.

http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/columns/the-stories-white-guys-tell-themselves/1245017

JFrame
08-14-2012, 11:00
it comes down to the power of myth and story.

Sounds like the author is talking about Obama, doesn't it?

Remember Obama giving a pre-election speech with Greek temple columns as props?

Remember children being taught to sing the "Obama song" in school?

Remember the uniformed yoots swearing an oath of allegiance to Obama?

Remember Chris Matthews telling us that every speech Obama gives is "the greatest speech since the Gettysburg address"?

Remember Obama comparing himself to Lincoln -- and Reagan?

Yes -- I think all of us comprehend, quite well, the power of myth and story. :upeyes:

countrygun
08-14-2012, 12:16
Sounds like the author is talking about Obama, doesn't it?

Remember Obama giving a pre-election speech with Greek temple columns as props?

Remember children being taught to sing the "Obama song" in school?

Remember the uniformed yoots swearing an oath of allegiance to Obama?

Remember Chris Matthews telling us that every speech Obama gives is "the greatest speech since the Gettysburg address"?

Remember Obama comparing himself to Lincoln -- and Reagan?

Yes -- I think all of us comprehend, quite well, the power of myth and story. :upeyes:

I for one, never believed the story about Obama being "born in a manger in Bethlehem"

but then again, given what few facts we DO have, it is still plausible.

Chuck TX
08-14-2012, 12:29
Could be some of those blue collar folks would like to have jobs again and realize it ain't poor people providing those jobs.

JFrame
08-14-2012, 12:44
I for one, never believed the story about Obama being "born in a manger in Bethlehem"

but then again, given what few facts we DO have, it is still plausible.

Well -- anyone who can get the oceans to lower (his claim) has some serious mojo going for him... :whistling:

countrygun
08-14-2012, 12:56
Well -- anyone who can get the oceans to lower (his claim) has some serious mojo going for him... :whistling:

Well he has apparently subcontracted part of the "going after the moneylenders" thing out to Biden.

series1811
08-14-2012, 15:49
http://cdn.runt-of-the-web.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/college-liberal-poor.jpg

JFrame
08-14-2012, 15:50
http://cdn.runt-of-the-web.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/college-liberal-poor.jpg

Hey -- she kind of looks like that woman whose entire world view hinges around getting free contraceptives...