Are you a Long Gun or Side Arm Lover? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Long Gun or Side Arm Lover?

M&P15T
08-14-2012, 10:52
I started shooting pistols 20+ years ago, and have just gotten bored with them.

Now when I head to the range (which is not often enough), I'm much more interested in shooting my AR than my pistol. Nothing is more enjoyable than shooting my kitted-out AR, and pistols just bore me.....just for CCW.

Funny how things change. How about you?

G36's Rule
08-14-2012, 10:55
Rifle, pistol and shotgun, I enjoy them all.

Creatism
08-14-2012, 10:56
My parents hate handguns. So I started shooting rifles when I was young. Now I'm way more of a hand gun guy then a rifle guy. Part of that is my dads fault, I am very recoil sensitive because of him. So I prefer my handguns!!

Typed from my iPhone with my thumbs!!

Unistat
08-14-2012, 11:31
I don't have a real preference either way. That being said, since I rarely get to the rifle range, shooting rifles is something I will jump at every chance I get. This gives the impression that I prefer rifles.

08-14-2012, 11:35
.yup.

RUT
08-14-2012, 15:07
>>Are you a Long Gun or Side Arm Lover?<<

Yes!

AKRover
08-14-2012, 15:14
I own and shoot long guns and handguns but more time is spent with my handguns. I just started shooting handguns a few years ago so I need a lot more practice with them then my long guns. My hunting rifle only comes out of the safe twice a year, once to verify zero at the range and once for moose hunting season. The AR, AK and SKS only make a couple trips to the range each year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rustin
08-14-2012, 15:21
I am BY FAR a pistol lover. I have always been intreagued by hanguns since I was a little kid. That's not to say I don't have any love for the longuns, but it's mainly handguns that take up a bulk of my gun learning/shooting time. My love for the handgun started as a child with the magnum revolver's I would see on video games and movies and then came to a peak when I learned about the 1911 when I turned 21 and I have been hooked since. I would say that the M1911 is probably one of my favorite non living items on the planet earth and that is truly saying something. I have at least narrowed down my list of handguns to have before I buy a rife which I should have done a long time ago! At least I have checked the ol' 12 guage beater off the list though!

63bmechanic
08-14-2012, 15:25
i love guns period, but i tend to enjoy shooting pistols more.

VinnieD
08-14-2012, 15:29
I'm shooting handguns mostly right now, and do love revolvers, but my plinking rifle was stolen, I don't have enough room to shoot the Mosin Nagant, and while I love shooting shotguns, i basically don't ever miss stationary targets now, and there are too many trees around to shoot clays. I need to find a good clay shooting field.

Right now at least handguns are the most fun to shoot but I'd be glad to shoot anything from derringer to artillery if given the chance.

ctfireman
08-14-2012, 15:30
I love guns in general but tend to accumulate more handguns. Probably bc i don't have a convenient place to shoot rifles.

Warp
08-14-2012, 15:33
I've always been all about handguns. Well, since I got my first gun and started carrying right when I joined GT back in 2005.

The rifle bug got me this year pretty good. I bought an M1 Grand from the CMP as well as a Colt AR15 and I went to some Appleseeds.

Rifles are fun, and I haven't even shot full distance yet!

I am sure I will continue to favor handguns because they can be carried on my person with great ease and because they can be (relatively) effectively shot at the myriad of indoor gun ranges...but rifles are sure to be a close second going forward. So much more range and terminal effectiveness than handguns...

WarEagle32
08-14-2012, 15:39
I love shooting my AR's more than anything. I use to be a handgun guy until I bought, and decked out my first M4. Now I like shooting them more. I still like my hanguns, just not as much as my longs guns.

Cambo
08-14-2012, 19:06
Living in NJ most of my life, where rifle ranges are few and far between, I have put my focus on handguns. The indoor range in PA that I go to allows rifles, but the max distance is 25 yards. I do have a S&W Sport AR on the way, so hopefully it will give me the rifle bug.

GLOCK17DB9
08-14-2012, 19:08
just guns in general!:whistling:

BobCZ
08-14-2012, 19:11
international skeet and sporting clays before anything else. So, shotguns by default.

simotek
08-14-2012, 19:15
I enjoy them all. Overall I'd say I prefer pistols simply because I get to shoot them a lot more often.

And, on the defensive side of things, I'm far more likely to use a pistol than one of my rifles or shotguns.

Walk Soft
08-14-2012, 19:17
I'm more into handgun shooting because it's easier for me to do(range).Another reason is because I'd rather be more proficient at SD in a more probable scenario.Also it's more challenging.

ronin.45
08-14-2012, 19:43

Me too.

NeverMore1701
08-14-2012, 19:50
I prefer rifles, but find myself having more handguns just because they're cheaper and easier to stash places.

63bmechanic
08-14-2012, 19:52
I prefer rifles, but find myself having more handguns just because they're cheaper and easier to stash places.

cheaper than rifles? you must have expensive taste in rifles lol

Warp
08-14-2012, 19:55

I bought two rifles this year. They each cost more than any of my handguns. One of the rifles, now that it has been properly accessorized...cost more than my three most expensive handguns combined. And when I swap optics at a later date the gap will only increase. Actually, if I sell the optic that's on there for 90% of what I paid for it to buy the optic I really want...that one rifle will probably have cost more than all five of my handguns combined.

And these rifles are nothing special.

63bmechanic
08-14-2012, 19:58
I bought two rifles this year. They each cost more than any of my handguns. One of the rifles, now that it has been properly accessorized...cost more than my three most expensive handguns combined. And when I swap optics at a later date the gap will only increase. Actually, if I sell the optic that's on there for 90% of what I paid for it to buy the optic I really want...that one rifle will probably have cost more than all five of my handguns combined.

And these rifles are nothing special.

i wasnt counting accessories thats after costs. but damn remington 700s here can be had for glock prices lol. what kinda rifles we talking about?

Glockdude1
08-14-2012, 20:00
Yes......

:supergrin:

Hef
08-14-2012, 20:00
I rely on my 1911, and I enjoy shooting it, but my AR's are much more fun.

NeverMore1701
08-14-2012, 20:05

Top shelf ARs and custom bolt guns.

Warp
08-14-2012, 20:05
i wasnt counting accessories thats after costs. but damn remington 700s here can be had for glock prices lol. what kinda rifles we talking about?

The accessories are part of the cost to me. And I am counting things like night sites on the pistols as well.

NOT counting accessories or upgrades:

M1 Garand an an AR15. The M1 was $75 more than my most expensive handgun and the AR was twice as much as my most expensive handgun.

63bmechanic
08-14-2012, 20:08
The accessories are part of the cost to me. And I am counting things like night sites on the pistols as well.

NOT counting accessories or upgrades:

M1 Garand an an AR15. The M1 was $75 more than my most expensive handgun and the AR was twice as much as my most expensive handgun.

M1s get pricy yes, and being a 2000 dollar ar wont run any harder than a good 900ish one, i dont see the point there but to each his own.

NeverMore1701
08-14-2012, 20:09
M1s get pricy yes, and being a 2000 dollar ar wont run any harder than a good 900ish one, i dont see the point there but to each his own.

Maybe not, but it'll have a light, optic, sling, nice trigger, good FH/comp, and a few extra mags.

Warp
08-14-2012, 20:12

It's only a $2,000 AR if you count every accessory that has been added (Surefire light w/mount, Aimpoint optic, magpul grip, magpul handguard, vickers sling, magpul MBUS).

Even if you count only the bare bones basic carbine itself with zero upgrades or accessories it is still twice the cost of my most expensive handgun. $550 --> $1,100

63bmechanic
08-14-2012, 20:12
Maybe not, but it'll have a light, optic, sling, nice trigger, good FH/comp, and a few extra mags.

buy a good "cheap" one, and you have more money for accessories as well as tactical courses to actually get to use all your accessories lol

NeverMore1701
08-14-2012, 20:13
buy a good "cheap" one, and you have more money for accessories as well as tactical courses to actually get to use all your accessories lol

Cheapest a "good" AR will go for is usually in the $800-$900 range to begin with.

63bmechanic
08-14-2012, 20:14
It's only a $2,000 AR if you count every accessory that has been added (Surefire light w/mount, Aimpoint optic, magpul grip, magpul handguard, vickers sling, magpul MBUS).

Even if you count only the bare bones basic carbine itself with zero upgrades or accessories it is still twice the cost of my most expensive handgun.

basic grip worked for me long enough in the army, good quality quad rail, single point sling, good BUIS and red dot and im happy, no need for all of the extra crap people feel the "need" to buy.

Warp
08-14-2012, 20:14
Cheapest a "good" AR will go for is usually in the $800-$900 range to begin with.

This.

A top tier AR is going to be $900+ for the least expensive most basic option. IMO. I don't think we need to drag this thread down into one of those "top tier ARs vs "hobby gun" ARs" threads though. Let's just leave it at "some of us choose to buy ARs that start at nearly $1k for the basic gun".

63bmechanic
08-14-2012, 20:15

im supprised to be hearing very good things about the cheap little M&P 15 sport, round counts in the 10k range and still running strong with minimal cleaning.

NeverMore1701
08-14-2012, 20:15
This.

A top tier AR is going to be $900+ for the least expensive most basic option. IMO. I don't think we need to drag this thread down into one of those "top tier ARs vs "hobby gun" ARs" threads though. Let's just leave it at "some of us choose to buy ARs that start at nearly $1k for the basic gun".

Very true, no need to derail this thread any further.

63bmechanic
08-14-2012, 20:18
Very true, no need to derail this thread any further.

that price range was the one i just stated if you read above, thats the cheapest i consider a good AR to be, lower if you know what your looking for in an AK, im just saying, people will spend 2-3000 on a rifle that does nothing more nor better than say a colt 69XX series that iv seen go for 900ish.

NeverMore1701
08-14-2012, 20:21
that price range was the one i just stated if you read above, thats the cheapest i consider a good AR to be, lower if you know what your looking for in an AK, im just saying, people will spend 2-3000 on a rifle that does nothing more nor better than say a colt 69XX series that iv seen go for 900ish.

Again, Warp and I are counting the accessories many people add on to make the rifle a more effective tool.

63bmechanic
08-14-2012, 20:22
Again, Warp and I are counting the accessories many people add on to make the rifle a more effective tool.

only thing that will make it more effective is improving the person shooting it but im not going to get into another forum argument lol

NeverMore1701
08-14-2012, 20:23
If you say so.

Restless28
08-14-2012, 21:01
My Colt AR is the most fun gun to shoot by far. My kids and wife even grin when they shoot it. I ditched the AimPoint, and the irons are more fun and good enough for this low speed operator, lol.

dakrat
08-14-2012, 21:10
I am the complete opposite. there is more fundamentals involved in shooting pistols quickly and accurately. most rifle shooters stick with rifles because they could not stand the suckage at pistol.

WoodenPlank
08-15-2012, 00:14
A handgun is to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have laid down in the first damn place.

While I don't mind shooting handguns, and I consider myself proficient with the ones I own, I will take my carbine over the handgun any day.

Warp
08-15-2012, 00:17
A handgun is to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have laid down in the first damn place.

When you leave your home...what rifle are you going to "fight your way back to"?

NeverMore1701
08-15-2012, 00:19
When you leave your home...what rifle are you going to "fight your way back to"?

The one in the truck. Of course, if I can get back to my truck, I'm bugging the hell out!

Cole125
08-15-2012, 00:20
I go back and forth, but usually my pistols get more usage at the range.

NEOH212
08-15-2012, 02:43
I like simple but effective guns. I don't care for all the gadgets on guns. I like open sights and plane gear unless there is a actual purpose for it and it somehow substantially enhances the function of the weapon over stock.

I enjoy shooting handguns since it's what I'll most likely have with me should I ever need a firearm for defense.

I still shoot my M4's often so I can stay proficient with them and I really enjoy shooting my FN SPR A3G and Remington 700 at long range.

I almost never shoot any of my shotguns anymore. When I do, it's usually only the tactical models when I take a class with them.

pat701
08-15-2012, 08:07
Long Gun 300 yrds.

SigFTW
08-15-2012, 09:55
It's what ever I buy that gets the most range time until I buy the next gun, be it a rifle or pistol or bow.

deadite
08-15-2012, 19:02
I've tried to get into rifles and I've had every sort of military styled rifle you can get your hands onto, but there's nothing like mastering a classic 1911 or old school revolver.

To be honest, I don't even own a rifle at this point...traded my last one for a HK P7.

A friend said, "What would you do if civil unrest broke out and you needed a battle rifle?" Well, in WW2 the Liberator was a single shot handgun that was intended to help the oppressed obtain a rifle..I'd get a rifle if I needed one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

garya1961
08-15-2012, 19:26
I prefer to shoot long guns but carry handguns for protection and do shoot them. I know this will start a ruckus but when I hear the word rifle I never think of an AR.

bac1023
08-15-2012, 20:13
Handguns for sure :cool:

...it wasn't always that way though.

Teecher45
08-15-2012, 20:56
Rifles. Own a farm. I like to make a game out of sitting a target in the ground. Riding my ATV in a circle to a safe spot. Lay my poncho on the ground. Place my rifle on my pack. Guesstimate the yardage/wind and see if I can make the shot. It's interesting, and fun.
Oh, It's a Rem 700, 30/06. Leupold VX II 4x12, handloads.

Warp
08-15-2012, 20:58
Rifles. Own a farm. I like to make a game out of sitting a target in the ground. Riding my ATV in a circle to a safe spot. Lay my poncho on the ground. Place my rifle on my pack. Guesstimate the yardage/wind and see if I can make the shot. It's interesting, and fun.

I'm jealous.

Kimura
08-16-2012, 02:04

Now when I head to the range (which is not often enough), I'm much more interested in shooting my AR than my pistol. Nothing is more enjoyable than shooting my kitted-out AR, and pistols just bore me.....just for CCW.

I like them all as well, but if you told me I could only shoot one type of gun for the rest of my life, it would be an AR. More fun, easier to shoot and more powerful than a handgun. Easier to control than a shotgun and is quicker to reload. Usable out to 200 with no magnification or 300 with magnification and the right ammo.

What it does not do better than a handgun is conceal. And a shotgun can also make a good breaching tool. Right tool for the right job, but for enjoyment and defense purposes, AR.

M&P15T
08-16-2012, 08:45
I like them all as well, but if you told me I could only shoot one type of gun for the rest of my life, it would be an AR. More fun, easier to shoot and more powerful than a handgun. Easier to control than a shotgun and is quicker to reload. Usable out to 200 with no magnification or 300 with magnification and the right ammo.

What it does not do better than a handgun is conceal. And a shotgun can also make a good breaching tool. Right tool for the right job, but for enjoyment and defense purposes, AR.

I'm becoming such an AR dork, I've ordered a Chinese Airsoft AN/PEQ-15 rip-off for $100. It'll probably melt/break the first time I shoot my AR with it on, but WTH, it'll look cool for a minute.:rofl::rofl:

vikingsoftpaw
08-16-2012, 17:22
I prefer to shoot long guns but carry handguns for protection and do shoot them. I know this will start a ruckus but when I hear the word rifle I never think of an AR.

I too, remember the days when people shunned those icky black plastic rifles. More attention was garnered at gunshows by Winchesters lever actions, '03's, Garands to some extent, Bolt actions with above standard grade stocks.

--

We always had a rifle, never got to shoot it much. Didn't have and outdoor range nearby.

I got into handguns, enjoyed shooting more regularly at a local range 15 minutes away. I think I bought an automatic, then a revolver, then an auto, another revolver and then another auto...

Five or six years went by and I finally found a decent range about an hour away. This lead me heavily into rifles, shotguns and clay shooting.

Teecher45
08-17-2012, 19:23
I'm jealous.
If you ever find yourself traveling through W KY give me a shout. We'll shoot.

Warp
08-17-2012, 19:29
If you ever find yourself traveling through W KY give me a shout. We'll shoot.

I don't get west of I65

barth
08-17-2012, 19:30

I'm the opposite.
Sold off my rifles.
Found them boring, hit everything I aimed at and no sport at all.
Handguns are much more of a challenge for me.
Plus it's hard to conceal an AR.

rv4driver
08-17-2012, 19:49
Started out in Bullseye Pistol shooting, loved it. Then, discovered NRA High Power Rifle, loved it. 600yds w/iron sights, amazing. Then, I discovered Trap shooting. Added Sleet and Sporting Clays. Loved it. Still do, but have RE-discovered pistol and rifle shooting, and turns out, I STILL love it! So, now, I'm teaching all of them, and loving it more than ever. It's all good.
Having said all that...all you pistol shooters will attest to the fact that more pistol shooting will improve your rifle shooting. Same principles, but MUCH closer tolerances, due to greater affect of mis-applied principles of sight alignment and trigger press. So, shoot what you want, but don't discount the advantages of cross-platform training! You might even enjoy it.
Oh, and get a bigger gun-safe, you'll need it.

Teecher45
08-17-2012, 20:04
I don't get west of I65
Well, if you ever find yourself in Bowling Green you're an hour from me. If you have some extra time!

bonehead098
08-17-2012, 20:17

This! :thumbsup:

Bullman
08-17-2012, 20:40
I like handguns mostly, with a thing for shotguns as well.

Schrag4
08-18-2012, 07:22
I'm more into handgun shooting because it's easier for me to do(range).Another reason is because I'd rather be more proficient at SD in a more probable scenario.Also it's more challenging.

This. I enjoy long guns but I enjoy the challenge of handguns more.

brisk21
08-18-2012, 17:05
Definately more of a handgun person. I have an AR-15, .270 bolt gun, 870 shotgun, and a 10/22. Everything else is a handgun, and I have alot. Lets just say double digits.

maxsellers55
08-18-2012, 17:09
The only thing better than shooting my Glock is shooting Remington 700 at distance.

Bob Hafler
08-18-2012, 17:15
7 of each so I guess I like them both about the same.:supergrin: