Anyone use grip tape on the slide? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use grip tape on the slide?

TheExplorer
08-14-2012, 17:24
I've seen this a few times now. I assume it's for when your hands get sweaty during repeated shooting? No harm I guess since the adhesive shouldn't touch the receiver.

Keyhole
08-14-2012, 17:40
Thin skate tape in the slide grooves helps.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18670483

TheExplorer
08-14-2012, 17:41
Wow. Did you do that? That's just what I was thinking as opposed to just slapping on a big piece.

SJ 40
08-14-2012, 17:59
I used the left over portions of the rubberized Decal Grip material in the slide serrations on my range Glock,it does provide a nice firm grip to the slide. SJ 40

ak103k
08-14-2012, 18:03
I use a piece of skateboard tape on top of the slide, between the ejection port, and the rear sight.

TheExplorer
08-14-2012, 18:07
Thanks Guys. I just bought a few sheets, so I'm going to experiment. I don't know if I can make those groove cuts but I'll give it a shot.

SouthpawG26
08-14-2012, 18:27
On match guns this is done to make quick slide racking easier, a lot of competition shooters use this forward on the slide as well, for more freedom in where you grab the slide.

But on a carry gun, the tape will needlessly scuff and roughen your holster (leather or kydex), which returns the favor and roughs up the gun's finish and creates progessively more resistance on the draw.

But if you keep the tape at the rear of the slide on a carry, you shouldn't create much extra scuffing on the holster, but it will grab clothes and/or skin.

TheExplorer
08-14-2012, 18:32
On match guns this is done to make quick slide racking easier, a lot of competition shooters use this forward on the slide as well, for more freedom in where you grab the slide.

But on a carry gun, the tape will needlessly scuff and roughen your holster (leather or kydex), which returns the favor and roughs up the gun's finish and creates progessively more resistance on the draw.

But if you keep the tape at the rear of the slide on a carry, you shouldn't create much extra scuffing on the holster, but it will grab clothes and/or skin.

That does make sense. I think I'd just feel more comfortable with a piece there. I will try the grove cut outs, but I don't see myself being that skilled.

Keyhole
08-14-2012, 18:57
Wow. Did you do that? That's just what I was thinking as opposed to just slapping on a big piece.

Yes. Mine turned out spot on:
http://catchmypicture.com/f/Wx5ZkV/640.jpg

TheExplorer
08-14-2012, 18:58
Awesome job indeed.

GThirtyTwo
08-14-2012, 19:02
My question is, why?

Keyhole
08-14-2012, 19:16
One time, in competition, had a malfunction, tap/rack, but the slide slipped away from me due to perspiration, had to tap/rack again, lost more time and got rattled. This should have prevented that. Super grippy now. Simple.

tydefan05
08-14-2012, 19:30
My question is, why?
I wondered the same thing until I stopped letting rain be a reason for not going to the range. When your hands are soaked, maybe you've got a little oil on your fingers, you've been wiping your nose and shivering a little bit, or maybe you've jammed, cut a finger...sometimes it's tough to get just the right amount of purchase on the slide to rack it. I've experienced a combination of all of these. Maybe the second go is more successful, but timing is everything if you're practicing for a "game time" situation. This is just my personal experience. I used to think it was silly, but now I wish the serration were cut a little more aggressively. I'm sure my grip isn't manly enough and I'm an embarrassment to the Y chromosome, but it costs about 10 cents to add it and it has no impact on the weapon otherwise.

Note: I use an overhand grip to rack the slide (gun in right hand, left four fingers go over the top and grasp the right side, left palm and pad of thumb on left side of slide, brace my left index finger against the rear sight). In the best conditions this is simple. In the worst case extra grippiness a welcome addition.

TheExplorer
08-15-2012, 06:17
My question is, why?

Ever try to rack the slide while your hands are a little sweaty? It is a bit difficult.

YMMV
08-15-2012, 07:01
Nice! I've considered doing the same myself. I really don't understand why people always feel the need to bash, even in the other linked thread. Its your gun, do what you need to do so it functions properly in your hand. Great if you have hammer hands and have the grip of the hulk and you see this not fit, then move along. To each and their own.

roadkill46
08-15-2012, 08:13
i have a small square on just about all my slides, toward the back on the inside side of the gun. reason not on the outside, is if you have a shirt that snags on stuff it can ride up on the tape and now you're in open carry mode!!! i always wear an A T-shirt or wife beater anyway so it does not bother my skin at all.

TheExplorer
08-27-2012, 18:26
Those that used skateboard tape, what brand? I just bought two sheets and they don't stick to the slide.:crying:

Keyhole
08-27-2012, 18:33
I got whatever the kid in the shop handed me. It says "Jessup-The Original" on the back.

ranger1968
08-27-2012, 18:33
I personally do not use it,and I have never had a gripping issue (no matter how wet the weather or sweat my hands were) but I know quite a few people who do use grip tape, mostly in the slide serrations as pictured above, and they swear by it;

I say give it a try.....

TheExplorer
08-27-2012, 18:35
I got whatever the kid in the shop handed me. It says "Jessup-The Original" on the back.

Thanks. I used Black Magic, which is supposed to be great for guns. I'll try to find that brand.

ak103k
08-27-2012, 18:39
You can also use "tread tape" you get at Lowes, etc. It tends to be a little coarser than some of the skate board tapes, but it works just as well.

Also make sure you degrease the area where you want to apply it.

TheExplorer
08-27-2012, 18:42
You can also use "tread tape" you get at Lowes, etc. It tends to be a little coarser than some of the skate board tapes, but it works just as well.

Also make sure you degrease the area where you want to apply it.

Thanks. That's easier to find, so I'll try that. Good point about degreasing. I should have done that first just to be sure.

RuDawg23
08-27-2012, 22:57
I like that pic! I just might have to experament and see if its too rough or a keeper.:supergrin:

LuckyG
08-28-2012, 07:53
..... a lot of competition shooters use this forward on the slide as well, for more freedom in where you grab the slide......
Bad idea. Freedom to blow off (or burning) some small body parts. Screw up while racking slide with forward serrations/tape and you risk losing part of a finger/hand. Yeah, I know, some high end manufacturers put serrations on the front of their slides. Still bad idea.

This is not theoretical. I was standing behind one of our guys in our weekly defensive shooting group. VERY experienced shooter, member of Police Review Board, not a dimwit. Had a jam and was in process of trying to clear. Needed more force on the slide, so he used the front serrations on his 1911. Grasping reflex caused him to pull the trigger at the same time. BANG! Severe burns on fingers, but nothing was missing. Lucky.

The origins of the forward slide serrations was 1911's in the old IPSC days. When they started allowing optics, it was no longer possible to press check using the rear of the slide. The front serrations allowed you to come up under the front of the slide and use two fingers to do the press check. I consider the current application to duty guns dangerous or, at minimum, an affectation. If you use it for routine slide releases you'll also use it for malfunction clearances.

In our LGC basic and personal protection courses we explain the danger and ban the use of the technique in the courses. If they join our shooting group later, they are still banned from using it. We have been shooting on a weekly basis with draw/fire defensive shooting and have not had an injury in the 25 years we have been doing this.

Having said this, it's a free country. If someone wants to use the technique, it's their business...and their fingers.

Seale Team
08-28-2012, 15:32
Bad idea. Freedom to blow off (or burning) some small body parts. Screw up while racking slide with forward serrations/tape and you risk losing part of a finger/hand. Yeah, I know, some high end manufacturers put serrations on the front of their slides. Still bad idea.

This is not theoretical. I was standing behind one of our guys in our weekly defensive shooting group. VERY experienced shooter, member of Police Review Board, not a dimwit. Had a jam and was in process of trying to clear. Needed more force on the slide, so he used the front serrations on his 1911. Grasping reflex caused him to pull the trigger at the same time. BANG! Severe burns on fingers, but nothing was missing. Lucky.

The origins of the forward slide serrations was 1911's in the old IPSC days. When they started allowing optics, it was no longer possible to press check using the rear of the slide. The front serrations allowed you to come up under the front of the slide and use two fingers to do the press check. I consider the current application to duty guns dangerous or, at minimum, an affectation. If you use it for routine slide releases you'll also use it for malfunction clearances.

In our LGC basic and personal protection courses we explain the danger and ban the use of the technique in the courses. If they join our shooting group later, they are still banned from using it. We have been shooting on a weekly basis with draw/fire defensive shooting and have not had an injury in the 25 years we have been doing this.

Having said this, it's a free country. If someone wants to use the technique, it's their business...and their fingers.

I could not agree more. I personally know a guy whos had two out of battery detonations. May not look as "cool" but the pinch and pull method is way safer.

wearesimian
11-06-2012, 14:01
I actually make and sell these as kits. You get the 14 strips to go in your slide grooves and an alcohol prep pad for $5. Free shipping. PM me if you guys are interested.

Stang_Man
11-06-2012, 14:42
$5 is a pretty good deal!

If anyone needs griptape, find the local skateboard shop and ask for the leftovers. I got about 1.5 feet for free worth of tape from mine- it wasn't enough to do a whole board so it was going in the trash anyways. Used it on the pedals of the racecar, now going to try the slide serrations on my duty weapon!

cowboy1964
11-06-2012, 15:20
Thin skate tape in the slide grooves helps.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18670483

I really need to get that done. One of my biggest complaints about Glocks is the slippery slide. It takes very little moisture on my fingers to affect the grip on the slide to the point where it's almost impossible to work it. The new gray finish helps but it's still not as good as most other guns.

TheExplorer
11-06-2012, 18:05
I actually make and sell these as kits. You get the 14 strips to go in your slide grooves and an alcohol prep pad for $5. Free shipping. PM me if you guys are interested.

How did you get it to stick? I bought high grade skateboard tape but it came right off.

INEEDMILK
11-06-2012, 22:28

I did that a few months ago.

They came off last week due to moisture. I think skateboard grip tape doesn't have adhesive strong enough to hold onto metal that is changing temperatures so often.

I plan on doing them again, but I'm not looking forward to it...

INEEDMILK
11-06-2012, 22:28

What kind of grip tape is it?

SiGlockBoy
11-07-2012, 10:08
I have tried some small patches of 3m tape on the slide and didn't like it due to severe locking in the holster from draw. I do however have it on the grips to aid in holding. My hands get sweaty and yes the grip gets slippery.

I haven't tried the grooves like shown above but I suspect it is a good idea to keep the profile down and unwanted grip in holster.

Try 3m tread tape. It is leaps and bounds better than skateboard tape, from what I have found. I tried several types of skateboard tape to only have body heat and normal humidity make them slide off or stick to my only after a few weeks of use. The 3m I have on some of my Glocks is still there after a few years of daily carry and range use. Also leaves NO residue when removed. YMMV

wearesimian
11-07-2012, 15:17
What kind of grip tape is it?

we have a supplier that custom makes it. it's matte black, not shiny. i've been running it on my 19 for about 3 months, in and out of a comp-tac infidel with no problems. let me know if you want some.

TheExplorer
11-07-2012, 18:04
I have tried some small patches of 3m tape on the slide and didn't like it due to severe locking in the holster from draw. I do however have it on the grips to aid in holding. My hands get sweaty and yes the grip gets slippery.

I haven't tried the grooves like shown above but I suspect it is a good idea to keep the profile down and unwanted grip in holster.

Try 3m tread tape. It is leaps and bounds better than skateboard tape, from what I have found. I tried several types of skateboard tape to only have body heat and normal humidity make them slide off or stick to my only after a few weeks of use. The 3m I have on some of my Glocks is still there after a few years of daily carry and range use. Also leaves NO residue when removed. YMMV

This? Amazon.com: 3M 7635NA Safety-Walk Black Outdoor Tread 2-by-180-Inch Roll: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31vdYdKQwHL.@@AMEPARAM@@31vdYdKQwHL

I'll try that, thanks. Anyone want a few feet of skateboard tape?:rofl:

SCmasterblaster
11-07-2012, 18:25
Yes. Mine turned out spot on:
http://catchmypicture.com/f/Wx5ZkV/640.jpg

That's what I have on my G17!

INEEDMILK
11-07-2012, 21:39
we have a supplier that custom makes it. it's matte black, not shiny. i've been running it on my 19 for about 3 months, in and out of a comp-tac infidel with no problems. let me know if you want some.

yea Ill give it a shot

is paypal the only way you take payment?

wearesimian
11-08-2012, 10:26
yea Ill give it a shot

is paypal the only way you take payment?

yes sir. this.is.simian@gmail.com let me know what model you have in the notes.

INEEDMILK
11-08-2012, 12:39
yes sir. this.is.simian@gmail.com let me know what model you have in the notes.

ok will do. it might take me a few days to get my paypal set up again. I havent used it in years.

guns54
11-08-2012, 13:02
Very well done. Have a nice day.

wearesimian
11-08-2012, 16:37
ok will do. it might take me a few days to get my paypal set up again. I havent used it in years.

awesome, paypal isnt always the best. but it's the most popular. necessary evils. :cool:

INEEDMILK
11-09-2012, 02:53
awesome, paypal isnt always the best. but it's the most popular. necessary evils. :cool:

I sent it a few hours ago. Did you receive it?

Can you confirm when it will ship?