Valmet M76 .223 REM (5.56x45mm) thoughts. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Valmet M76 .223 REM (5.56x45mm) thoughts.

Rally Vincent
08-14-2012, 18:26
Always wanted one. Got the cash now.
So I need feedback from owners.
I know the mags are a pain to find, so I'm not worried about that.

Any experiences with broken firing pins?
Ammo problems? Seen where someone was *****ing about running surplus 5.56 through one. That doesn't make sense to me. Due to the fact that they were designed to fire 5.56 at higher pressures.

Hines57
08-14-2012, 23:57
I really like mine, but to be honest I don't shoot it much. never had any issues with it at all.

fnfalman
08-15-2012, 08:27
It's a very well made AK, even prettier than the Galil and definitely less plastic than the SIG 550.

You already know about mag problems, so I don't know what else to tell ya. Broken firing pins? They tend to happen eventually on any rifle.

Can't run 5.56mm through it? That's a pretty stupid claim by whomever that made the statement.

I had an M76 with the plastic stock. The plastic stock was pretty cheesy (should have gone with the wooden stock but I was young and stupid and tacticool back then - gotta be black and gotta be plastic). I let my cousin's husband talked me into selling it to him with the proviso that it was suppose to be for home defense, then the bastard turned around and sold it for a princely sum during the AWB.

Tony Rumore
08-15-2012, 09:21
I have had a few over the years. The firing pins won't break if you install a heavy duty spring on them. That was the Factory fix for the problem and it works.

Fnfalman is right about the plastic stocked guns.......I would pass on those, as well as the model 71.

Tony

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l246/TonyRumore/Rifles/Collection-1.jpg

fnfalman
08-15-2012, 09:30
I have had a few over the years. The firing pins won't break if you install a heavy duty spring on them. That was the Factory fix for the problem and it works.

Fnfalman is right about the plastic stocked guns.......I would pass on those, as well as the model 71.

Tony

When I bought my M76, I wanted the sidefolder but there wasn't one available and I didn't wait, so it came down to wooden stock or plastic stock. Like a mall ninja idiot that I was back then, I went with the plastic stock.

I couldn't believe that I bought that rifle brand new for $400 when HK33 were $700 and so were Colt ARs.

Do you guys still convert AK mags for the Valmets? I have a line on an M76 with wooden stock but the mag issue turned me off.

Tony Rumore
08-15-2012, 09:39
No....I'm completely out of the Valmet business, and only have one 76 .223 folder left in my collection. The rest were sold to fund an M-60 purchase many years ago.

Tony

Rally Vincent
08-16-2012, 20:47
Well I bought it anyways.
Looks like finding a heavy firing pin spring and factory mags will be quite the task.
I doubt anyone even has the darn spring.
Thanks for the feedback though.

Tony Rumore
08-17-2012, 07:02
The last guy that had springs was Rob Strickler in Birmingham Alabama. Unfortunately, I have not heard from Rob in about 10 years and have no contact info for him.

Tony

fnfalman
08-17-2012, 11:17
Well I bought it anyways.
Looks like finding a heavy firing pin spring and factory mags will be quite the task.
I doubt anyone even has the darn spring.
Thanks for the feedback though.

I can't help with the heavy firing pin spring but the Valmet does take some Galil mags. Not all but some. When I had my Valmet and like an idiot I didn't hoard up the factory mags, later it was too late but I had a bunch of Galil steel and plastic mags for my Galil AR. I tried the various Galil mags to see which one would feed and designated them for the Valmet.

rgregoryb
08-17-2012, 16:18
I took .223 AK mags and modified the mag. The cut out needs to be increased where the bolt strips off the next round from the mag. The Valmet uses a larger opening to make room for the larger bolt. Cheap AK mags then work like a champ

Rally Vincent
08-18-2012, 23:45
I'll be looking into the mag thing. Thinking about also buying a Galil to possibly offset the mag thing. It's impossible to find factory Valmet mags it seems.

Hines57
08-20-2012, 18:39
It's a very well made AK, even prettier than the Galil ....

Better looking than a Galil??? Bite your tongue. Though the wood one is pretty cool. I wish I would have waited for a wood one also.

fnfalman
08-21-2012, 16:50
Better looking than a Galil??? Bite your tongue. Though the wood one is pretty cool. I wish I would have waited for a wood one also.

I would say so. The shape is more pleasing and without question the fit & finish are superior to the Galil. The folding stock is ugly as hell though, as was the Bullpup model.