Now it's the SSA buying ammunition. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Now it's the SSA buying ammunition.

wmodavis
08-15-2012, 10:07
First it was the DHS, then the NOAA and now the SSA is buying large amounts of JHP ammunition.

http://www.infowars.com/social-security-administration-to-purchase-174-thousand-rounds-of-hollow-point-bullets/

wjv
08-15-2012, 10:09
As someone else pointed out. They are probably spreading the purchases around to avoid placing the order for 2 Billion rounds and attracting attention. Unfortunately for them, it's not working. . .

WoodenPlank
08-15-2012, 10:10
The people that run InfoWars are certifiable nut hut material.

The Fist Of Goodness
08-15-2012, 10:19
174000 rounds would be enough to qualify about 180 agents yearly at my agency (250 rds per agent 4 times per year).

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

The Fist Of Goodness
08-15-2012, 10:21
Not sure how big SSA OIG is but I know they have at least a few hundred agents, based on my conversations with the handful of instructors I went through a FLETC course with last spring. .

WoodenPlank
08-15-2012, 10:24
174000 rounds would be enough to qualify about 180 agents yearly at my agency (250 rds per agent 4 times per year).

Glad to see some logic being brought to the table.

Bruce M
08-15-2012, 10:28

You mean maybe all there is to this is just guys qualifying in some slightly less well known federal law enforcement agencies like the National Marine Fisheries Service? Western civilization as we know it is not on the brink of total collapse??

fastbolt
08-15-2012, 10:32
:rofl:

Reading such editorial reporting containing "interpretations" of common procurement activities, and the descriptions used therein, reminds me of the poorest quality fiction that used to be sold under the heading of "Men's Action Adventure" in bookstores ... :whistling:

Missed seeing the online coupon for discounts toward bulk purchases of foil hats (but then I seldom can make it through such "articles"). :upeyes:

ChuteTheMall
08-15-2012, 10:42

I tried to find a better source, but they mention InfoWars too.:tinfoil:

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-does-the-social-security-administration-need-174000-rounds-of-ammunition-2012-8

Why revolver ammo? Is this for old people?:fred:

wmodavis
08-15-2012, 11:41
So - one person says the source is a nut case. That means the news report is false???

SCHADENFREUDE
08-15-2012, 11:56
I think the real story behind all of these ammo purchases is how many unknown LE agencies the government have.

Paul53
08-15-2012, 12:06
It's for the death panels! Head for the hills granny, and cover your wheelchair tracks as best you can!:fred:

oldman11
08-15-2012, 12:20
Looks to me like the government is gearing up for a war (civil unrest). Standard Big Brother actions, arm the government while attempting to disarm civilians.

Bilbo Bagins
08-15-2012, 12:29
Wow I get to use the same pic twice in one week.

https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/8/14/UJ0xHVA2KkSPyPEoTIKFzQ2.jpg

wjv
08-15-2012, 12:36
Or maybe their sending all that ammo to Mexico. All those people with who got Fast & Furious guns need ammo!

Glockdude1
08-15-2012, 12:52
For training, 174 cases of ammo would not last long at all.

:cool:

WarEagle32
08-15-2012, 13:13

Amen!

Glock30Eric
08-15-2012, 13:14
.357 SIG, that is a quite round.

fastbolt
08-15-2012, 14:14
I think the real story behind all of these ammo purchases is how many unknown LE agencies the government have.

I'd not describe them as being "unknown". Just not agencies that make the mainstream news every day.

For most of the motoring public who have no interest in learning about such things, or have reason to run afoul of them, it might be pretty surprising the first time they hear about some of them, though. (It certainly was to me when I first entered LE work and started to hear about them.)

It's amazing the number of agencies that usually exist at all levels of fed, state & local governments which employ people in armed/enforcement positions, and/or have powers of arrest to one extent or another.

Wow I get to use the same pic twice in one week.

https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/8/14/UJ0xHVA2KkSPyPEoTIKFzQ2.jpg

That pic is perfect. ;)

Made me chuckle.

For everyone eagerly jumping on this "revelation", I suppose we could try to get confirmation by running down to the local newsstand or supermarket checkout line and looking through the "hot sheets" on the racks, right? (In MIB fashion, of course) :tongueout:

series1811
08-15-2012, 14:20

There are people on Glocktalk that claim they shoot a thousand rounds a week (and some probably do). People should want LEOs shooting more, not less. :supergrin:

fastbolt
08-15-2012, 14:44
People should want LEOs shooting more, not less. :supergrin:

How simply & elegantly put ... ;)

As a LE firearms instructor I would certainly like to see that happen.

I sometimes think some people may fail to realize how perishable a skill shooting a firearm really is, let alone the safe, efficient & effective handling of them under live-fire conditions.

Imagine if a cop only operated a motor vehicle 1-4 times per year, and then was forced to operate one under exigent, highly stressful conditions ...

s&wfan
08-15-2012, 14:46
You mean maybe all there is to this is just guys qualifying in some slightly less well known federal law enforcement agencies like the National Marine Fisheries Service? Western civilization as we know it is not on the brink of total collapse??

Exactly. I wonder why no one is doing comparisons of how much ammo they've purchased from these same agencies in the past five years (on a year to year basis).

Jeremy_K
08-15-2012, 14:49
They're just trying to beat the rush like the last time Obamao got elected.

Patchman
08-15-2012, 15:07

It's not that they're unknown.

All Federal agencies have an Inspector General. Investigators at IGs' officers are armed. Can carry nation-wide.

In addition, many Federal agencies also have jurisdiction to investigate crimes, so they will also have a bunch of Special Agents (is: like FBI Special Agents, but with more focused jurisdiction).

And don't forget the uniformed security services that many agencies have.

cowboy1964
08-15-2012, 15:09
Here comes the "hollow point" bogey man again.

08-15-2012, 15:18
So - one person says the source is a nut case. That means the news report is false???
No one said it's false. But, take a deep breath, and see post #4. Suddenly, it doesn't seem that bad, now, does it? Whew!:supergrin:

WoodenPlank
08-15-2012, 17:29

I have no doubt that they are buying ammo. However, the editorial spin that IW tries to put on it is what I take issue with, and why I say they belong in the nut hut.

Unless, of course, they don't even believe the crap they are slinging. In that case, their dedicated readers should be the ones bound for the nut hut.

No kidding. It's enough for qualification for a few hundred agents for a year.

Exactly. I wonder why no one is doing comparisons of how much ammo they've purchased from these same agencies in the past five years (on a year to year basis).

A) It requires too much work.
B) It would disprove their own "theory" on why the government is buying up ammo.

SCHADENFREUDE
08-15-2012, 17:46
It's not that they're unknown.

All Federal agencies have an Inspector General. Investigators at IGs' officers are armed. Can carry nation-wide.

In addition, many Federal agencies also have jurisdiction to investigate crimes, so they will also have a bunch of Special Agents (is: like FBI Special Agents, but with more focused jurisdiction).

And don't forget the uniformed security services that many agencies have.

Unknown to the vast majority. People wouldn't be upset about the ammo purchases if they knew about the organizations getting the ammo. It is just the case of the government or the media not informing people. It is a different story if you know what the stuff is being used for.

joecoastie
08-15-2012, 18:06
First it was the DHS, then the NOAA and now the SSA is buying large amounts of JHP ammunition.

http://www.infowars.com/social-security-administration-to-purchase-174-thousand-rounds-of-hollow-point-bullets/

You do realize that the gov't is tracking every single thing you say on the internet right? Your best bet is to turn off your computer, disconnect it from the internet, set it on fire, wrap your house in foil, and most importantly, never get on the internet ever again, that way they won't be able to track you.

Sheepdog Scout
08-16-2012, 01:56
You do realize that the gov't is tracking every single thing you say on the internet right? Your best bet is to turn off your computer, disconnect it from the internet, set it on fire, wrap your house in foil, and most importantly, never get on the internet ever again, that way they won't be able to track you.

You do realize how expensive tin foil is right? Not including the cheap stuff that costs $.99 that tears if you look at it wrong.

4 glocks
08-16-2012, 05:20
30 posts and no one noticed the first link talks about .357 sig ammo and the 2nd .357 mag. ammo.
This makes me not trust this info.
Why is a federal agency buying ammo news anyway?

joecoastie
08-16-2012, 07:40
You do realize how expensive tin foil is right? Not including the cheap stuff that costs $.99 that tears if you look at it wrong.

True, especially if you go with mil-spec tinfoil, however can you really put a price on the safety of your brainwaves?

vic bastige
08-16-2012, 18:53
Glad to see some logic being brought to the table.

Do we need to fund qualification with ALL hollow points, or can we mix a little ball in?

FLIPPER 348
08-16-2012, 19:16

mega dittos

The Fist Of Goodness
08-16-2012, 19:38
Do we need to fund qualification with ALL hollow points, or can we mix a little ball in?

We used to do just that. At some point, somebody thought that using two different types of ammo was a bad training method. Seems far fetched to me, but who knows?

Batesmotel
08-16-2012, 19:52

My Marine rifle company could burn 47,000 rounds in two days of tactical training. Easy. That was less than 250 rounds per Marine. For a Battalion field exercise the ammo came by the truck load.

20,000 to 40,000 each year just in qualification.

At one time the SEALs alone had a larger small arms ammo budget that the entire Marine Corps. Most of it was going to Richard Marcinko.

Training and qualification burns a lot of ammo.

If the feds were hoarding and hiding ammo, we would never know about it.

Deaf Smith
08-16-2012, 21:18
How simply & elegantly put ... ;)

As a LE firearms instructor I would certainly like to see that happen.

I sometimes think some people may fail to realize how perishable a skill shooting a firearm really is, let alone the safe, efficient & effective handling of them under live-fire conditions.

Imagine if a cop only operated a motor vehicle 1-4 times per year, and then was forced to operate one under exigent, highly stressful conditions ...

I did the math when I read they had 395 officers and just 174000 rounds. That is less than 500 per officer. Heck I shoot over 100 rounds a WEEK so 500 is just enough to keep one familiar with their weapon.

I thought it was funny the news had the horrors over them getting JHP ammo. Everyone and their dog now uses JHP ammo!

We had FBI agents at our IDPA matches and they always used FRESH boxes of Winchester T series .40 S&W JHPs for the match (yes the FBI gave them the ammo!) Lucky so-and-so's.

Deaf

GlockPistola
08-16-2012, 23:47

Alex Jones is nuts, but if you really want a good laugh, check this out, The Southern Poverty Law Center actually lists him as an activist leading the "radical right" who should be watched. These guys actually take him seriously. :rofl:

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-report/browse-all-issues/2012/summer/30-to-watch

BonnieB
08-16-2012, 23:52
What if a non-military, non-law enforcement agency like Social Security bought up ammunition, just before budget time simply to use up unused money. And then traded the ammunition later, to another agency like Homeland Security in exchange for political favors or something else SSA wanted like a batch of new computers?

How paranoid is that ? Is it paranoia if it's a really logical budget tactic ?

GlockFish
08-17-2012, 00:28
Ha!

The next thing you'll be telling me is there are communists in the White House.

G26S239
08-17-2012, 01:15

It means that histrionic idiot Alex Jones and his idiot followers are getting their panties inj a bunch over nothing.

countsk
08-17-2012, 01:47
I'm just jealous because I have to carry a M9 with ball ammo.

NEOH212
08-17-2012, 02:57
I tried to find a better source, but they mention InfoWars too.:tinfoil:

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-does-the-social-security-administration-need-174000-rounds-of-ammunition-2012-8

Why revolver ammo? Is this for old people?:fred:

:rofl::rofl:

WoodenPlank
08-17-2012, 06:32

Point of impact and recoil are generally quite different with JHP compared to ball. Plus, at the prices the government gets the ammo for, it's not worth trying to track two kinds of ammo for the relatively minor price difference. You get one hell of a discount when you're buying in the hundreds of thousands to hundreds of millions of rounds in one order.

CBennett
08-17-2012, 06:44
Can someone tell me how to fold this tinfoil hat...im betting so as half the posters in this thread probably have one on also lol.

G26S239
08-17-2012, 07:40
Can someone tell me how to fold this tinfoil hat...im betting so as half the posters in this thread probably have one on also lol.
Layer the foil and laminate it to prevent eddy currents. Stick a small piece of silicon steel centered to act as a core preventing hysteresis loss and maximizing protection. Use a length of THHW 10 gauge multi strand down the center of your back to the static wick located at the center back belt loop. :wavey: