Becoming optimistic... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Becoming optimistic...

jeanderson
08-15-2012, 11:31
I'm starting to actually become optimistic about Romney's prospects. Rasmussen today reports support for Romney at 47% verses 43% for Obama. This poll has had each candidate leading by a few points for the last month or so. But keep in mind a little poll history...

In 1980 at this time, Carter and Reagan were very close in the polls. Carter had a 10 point or better lead throughout the spring and most of summer. Come September, the polls showed Carter slipping, but nothing too dramatic. Nothing that would indicate the landslide that occured in November. Without a doubt, it was the economy that sunk Carter. I'm betting on the same for Obama.

Lethaltxn
08-15-2012, 11:43
I'm starting to actually become optimistic about Romney's prospects. Rasmussen today reports support for Romney at 47% verses 43% for Obama. This poll has had each candidate leading by a few points for the last month or so. But keep in mind a little poll history...

In 1980 at this time, Carter and Reagan were very close in the polls. Carter had a 10 point or better lead throughout the spring and most of summer. Come September, the polls showed Carter slipping, but nothing too dramatic. Nothing that would indicate the landslide that occured in November. Without a doubt, it was the economy that sunk Carter. I'm betting on the same for Obama.

A lot of us are hoping that holds true as well.
However, never underestimate the stupidity of the electorate.
We do live in a different time.

Cavalry Doc
08-15-2012, 12:09
November is still a long way off. Lots of surprises are still left.

Right now, the odds are pretty even.

Harbour
08-15-2012, 12:27
I'm pessimistic for America, no matter which of these bozos wins.

The two parties are so similar...share so many of the same evils, that Americans really only have one party to vote for.

So forget about a third party. What America really needs right now is at least, a second party.

Only when such a new party or parties emerge will I become optimistic.

jeanderson
08-15-2012, 12:49
The two parties are so similar...share so many of the same evils, that Americans really only have one party to vote for.

I agree with your point that the two parties share many of the same evils. But Obama really isn't a member of the Democratic party - he has hijacked it!

I know it sucks to vote for the lesser of two evils, but when one of them is Barack Obama, the choise is easy. In all honesty, I haven't liked any president since Ronald Reagan.

Make no mistake: The future of the country and the liberties and freedom we all enjoy hang in the balance here.

countrygun
08-15-2012, 13:00
I agree with your point that the two parties share many of the same evils. But Obama really isn't a member of the Democratic party - he has hijacked it!

I know it sucks to vote for the lesser of two evils, but when one of them is Barack Obama, the choise is easy. In all honesty, I haven't liked any president since Ronald Reagan.

Make no mistake: The future of the country and the liberties and freedom we all enjoy hang in the balance here.

Back in my college days, in political science, we had a term for Countries who's government made massive political/philosophic changes with a change in government. we called them "unstable".

Governments are often a reflection of the culture. Our culture doesn't "trickle down" from government and if we expect a change in the government we must have a change in the culture to provide a stable base for the Government. Incrimental moves in the right direction are more lasting and less subject to the "boomerang" effect in following election cycles.