Scottevest Travel Vest: Good conealment vest? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Scottevest Travel Vest: Good conealment vest?

matteblack
08-15-2012, 15:11
I've been looking at the new version of their travel vest and it seems like it could be a good discreet concealment vest with a lot of utility. Right now I use a Northface Bionic vest, but it lacks the pocket capacity this Travel Vest has. I've seen the original and I had some concerns of durability, but this new version appears more robust. Thanks for your thoughts.

MB :cool:

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/T...ght-Vest.shtml

MrMurphy
08-15-2012, 17:56
There's no such thing as a 'discreet' concealment vest to anyone with a brain.

I had a travel vest while traveling (shocking, I know) in Israel and was mistaken for a bodyguard, they hide Mini-Uzis under them. With my general haircut and build, it was a duh moment.

Concealed Carry Clothiers makes one called the Tropic which will not scream GUN!!! to most sheep on the street, but anyone with a clue will still know you're up to something. I know quite a few Secret Service agents who've used it (having seen them, and having owned one) while on 'non dressy' days guarding George W.

The E-vest makes a better jacket than a vest.

WoodenPlank
08-15-2012, 18:08
They are called "shoot me first vests" for a reason.

If you need to conceal something a little better, go with a light to medium weight button down shirt one size too big. It won't look like a tent, but it will hide almost anything short of a long gun. I can hide a full Miami Classic shoulder rig (with P229 and 2 spare mags) under such a shirt in the middle of the Florida summer without a problem.

FireForged
08-15-2012, 19:06
as long as you are not OC'ing.. 99.9% of the public at large will never notice you are carrying. I dont opt for concealment clothing at all. I just wear normal clothes that cover my owb holster.

Heck, I wear a tanker style holster in the winter months. The strap across the chest in od green is clearly visible through my semi open jacket and in 10+ years, nobody have ever noticed.

I think if you hung a hat on a drop leg holster, nobody would notice. hahaha :supergrin:

WoodenPlank
08-15-2012, 19:07
as long as you are not OC'ing.. 99.9% of the public at large will never notice you are carrying. I dont opt for concealment clothing at all. I just wear normal clothes that cover my owb holster.

Heck, I wear a tanker style holster in the winter months. The strap across the chest in od green is clearly visible through my semi open jacket and in 10+ years, nobody have ever noticed.

I think if you hung a hat on a drop leg holster, nobody would notice. hahaha :supergrin:

You might be surprised. Not everyone that notices will say something.

Keoking
08-15-2012, 19:16
If you need to conceal something a little better, go with a light to medium weight button down shirt one size too big.

Same here. I have a section of my closet dedicated to XXL button down shirts of medium weight fabric. Some short sleeve, some long.

FireForged
08-15-2012, 19:16
You might be surprised. Not everyone that notices will say something.

that is certainly a real possibility and I would lump that into the .01% that I allowed for. It is also possible that 100% of everyone noticed that I was carrying but I am not trying make an exacting proclamation, just friendly talk.

matteblack
08-15-2012, 19:25
There's no such thing as a 'discreet' concealment vest to anyone with a brain.

I had a travel vest while traveling (shocking, I know) in Israel and was mistaken for a bodyguard, they hide Mini-Uzis under them. With my general haircut and build, it was a duh moment.

Concealed Carry Clothiers makes one called the Tropic which will not scream GUN!!! to most sheep on the street, but anyone with a clue will still know you're up to something. I know quite a few Secret Service agents who've used it (having seen them, and having owned one) while on 'non dressy' days guarding George W.

The E-vest makes a better jacket than a vest.

Good stuff, thanks. I should have phrased it differently, instead of good concealment vest I mean good or quality vest that can happen to be used as a concealment vest. I am of the opinion that if one is wearing a vest that is not "Tactical" or with pockets all over the outside it is more discreet. If I see someone wearing a Columbia, Carhartt, Northface, etc. vest it does not necessarily mean they are armed- too many not armed people wear that kind of thing. So, I think it blends in as long as the weather is right and you are not sending other flags with pants, knives, patches, hats etc.

MB

chemcmndr
08-15-2012, 20:14
I have the travel vest, and it conceals my G19 in an IWB holster very well. Most just think you're some sort of photographer.

checkyoursix
08-16-2012, 05:16
I own a winter jacket from that company, and I like the number of pockets. I use it a lot in winter, and even carry my iPad regularly in it.

I think that if you don't dress all tactical it's going to be quite effective.

MrMurphy
08-16-2012, 07:08
The 'warm' vests vs the 'covered in enough pockets to supply a platoon' vests aren't so bad.

Realistically though as Plank said, a sized-up untucked shirt will hide just about anything short of a submachine gun without looking odd. I've known a guy who carried a 4" N-frame that way. The other side is to go 'dressy' as a blazer or sports coat with slacks/jeans "will" hide anything. Seen a US Marshal disappear a 5" Model 625 and reloads under a blazer before, that was educational.

Bilbo Bagins
08-16-2012, 07:13
Usually a vest would screams "I'm carrying a gun". Especially those 5.11 and other tactical vest.

However I notice is more socially exceptable to wear a vest if you are;

1) A Morbidly Obese man. I guess because they can't reach their pockets and fanny pack belts are not that long.

2) A granola eating, yuppie or hippie that is usually middle age or older.

3) a 20-something tech nerd

If you are #1 forget Scottevest, they don't make them that big, but if you pass for #2 or #3 you might be able to pull it off. Otherwise you will look out of place with a vest and people will just assume your are weird, or you are packing.

I never actually handled a Scottvest in person, but I can tell you they are made as a lightweight vest for world travelers who carry Ipods, passports and cell phones. They are not made for carrying handguns. If your are planing to use a vest to carry a 2lb full size pistol or revolver your $120 vest may print and droop like a Mofo. However with some modification and the right gun it might work great.

WoodenPlank
08-16-2012, 09:28
The 'warm' vests vs the 'covered in enough pockets to supply a platoon' vests aren't so bad.

Realistically though as Plank said, a sized-up untucked shirt will hide just about anything short of a submachine gun without looking odd. I've known a guy who carried a 4" N-frame that way. The other side is to go 'dressy' as a blazer or sports coat with slacks/jeans "will" hide anything. Seen a US Marshal disappear a 5" Model 625 and reloads under a blazer before, that was educational.

I've seen it done with several semi autos, and even an MP5K (non-PDW).

I bet with the right jacket and right sling, it could even be done with a Mk. 18 sized AR.

matteblack
08-16-2012, 12:17
Usually a vest would screams "I'm carrying a gun". Especially those 5.11 and other tactical vest.

However I notice is more socially exceptable to wear a vest if you are;

1) A Morbidly Obese man. I guess because they can't reach their pockets and fanny pack belts are not that long.

2) A granola eating, yuppie or hippie that is usually middle age or older.

3) a 20-something tech nerd

If you are #1 forget Scottevest, they don't make them that big, but if you pass for #2 or #3 you might be able to pull it off. Otherwise you will look out of place with a vest and people will just assume your are weird, or you are packing.

I never actually handled a Scottvest in person, but I can tell you they are made as a lightweight vest for world travelers who carry Ipods, passports and cell phones. They are not made for carrying handguns. If your are planing to use a vest to carry a 2lb full size pistol or revolver your $120 vest may print and droop like a Mofo. However with some modification and the right gun it might work great.

Great post Bilbo! I think I am sticking with my Northface vest for now. LOTS of people where vests in the Northwest, completely common here. We have SO many days where its 55-65 degrees where its in between cold and warm so vests are naturally popular.
MB

Sgt_Gold
08-16-2012, 16:52
My stock answer to the whole 'what to wear' question is:

I get a kick out of these threads because it always end the same way, whatever you wear screams 'gun'. Untucked shirt, GUN! Vest, GUN! Heavy duty belt, GUN! Anything I wouldn't wear, GUN!

I've got a Coranado leather vest that looks like every other black lether vest that every other guy is wearing, and I know they all can't be carrying. In the summer you would be hard pressed to be noticed wearing a wife beater under a short sleeved check pattern shirt, but that's how I roll.But of course that screams GUN!

Bottom line is the hordes of the great unwashed have no clue that we walk among them. No one has ever made the 'man with a gun' call when I'm out to dinner or buying groceries. Unless you dress like a PSD contractor or have a thing for tacticool clothing, most if not all of this is paranoia.

mac66
08-20-2012, 13:08
Around here you can pretty much be sure that anyone wearing a hockey jersey of the local pro team on a day when there isn't a game is cop or is carrying. Kind of the same thing in the summer. If you see a baggy button down Hawaiian or similar type shirt, that person is probably carrying.

The vest thing kind of depends on the area and situation you are in. In a liberal college town, a certain kind of vest might blend in. In a urban environment you can play the part by adding a camera or camera case to your ensemble.

I went down to the local ghetto last fall to take some photos of the abandoned buildings and wore my safari vest. I had a expensive camera with me and the few people out would shout "Yo! take my pichure"

ChuteTheMall
08-20-2012, 13:39
Location, location, location.

Unless it's actually cold out, anybody wearing a vest around here gets a second look. And if it's not fleece or obviously insulated, they will really stand out.

But since both concealed carry and open carry are legal here, it's no big deal. Just people watching.

http://i50.tinypic.com/28hhf90.jpg

Distracted by the fur, the noses are less noticable.:hippie:

biggun1911
08-23-2012, 11:27
I have the light weight Scottevest and the concealed carry clothiers tropic vest. Both are good vests and will cover a gun carried owb. My wife also has the light weight scottevest and wears it when shopping instead of carrying a purse. She uses the interior pockets to carry necessary items.

SeV_EDC
08-23-2012, 21:26
Hi Guys - I work for SCOTTEVEST, so if you have any questions let me know and I can answer them or get them to someone who can. Feel free to PM if this walks the line of violating the site CoC. It might take a bit to get back to you, but we'll do what we can.

My personal philosophy on carrying using an SeV: primary handguns belong in holsters, primary mags in something that holds them in a consistently accessible place. Use our vest as a cover garment, carry all your other EDC stuff in it, range stuff, cell phone, communications gear, multi-tool, etc. Some guys love pocket pistols and there are features in some of our jackets like the Outback and Expedition (http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Tactical_Concealed_Carry_Clothing.shtml) that help with carrying those (hook and loop patches in pockets, elastic mag loops, etc.). Not my thing, but I've heard solid feedback that it works well, especially with something like the thin Kahr, Ruger LCP, Airweight S&W revolver, etc. Ultimately, it's not concealed if people can tell you're carrying it, and it might as well be in your safe if you can't smoothly and consistently present it from concealment to on-target in a dynamic, critical incident.

Bonus points for the SeV is that it doesn't look tactical from the outside (maybe the Expedition does a little b/c it has external pockets). So basically, you have a good selection of cover garments (jackets, shirts, hoodies, etc.) that have a whole other layer of functionality (the 20-37 pockets), most of them hidden on the inside. The weight management system works well at balancing the weight of whatever is carried in the pockets, but if you have TicTacs on one side and a Desert Eagle with four mags in the other side, you're not allowed to complain about leaning to one side.

I hope you find this commentary helpful, drop a line anytime. Oh, and whatever you do, don't dress like you're going on a government fishing trip....