Ruger 357 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 357

JLA
08-15-2012, 16:32
Can anyone tell me any info from just this pic of this Ruger 357? It is coming up for auction and I'd like to know a little more about it. Model....value ( what I should bid )...also, is it me or does the barrel look like you can see thru the top and bottom portions? Not much to go on but any info would be great! Thanks in advance

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr3/dpreed/Ruger357.jpg

Berto
08-15-2012, 16:51
It's a Ruger SP101 with the longer 3 and 1/16" barrel.
It holds five rounds, weighs about 27oz.
These guns are fixed sight, but offer a good sight picture and they have a good but not outstanding DA trigger pull. (easy to improve)

THe SP101 has a reputation for very good accuracy and strength to handle any factory loaded magnum ammo. Recoil is managable with the factory grips, many like the Hogue rubber grips like those pictured on the gun...I don't myself as they add length and are grabby with shirts.

Value used is about $400-450 in my locale.
HTH.

bac1023
08-15-2012, 17:04
SP101s are great revolvers

4Baldy
08-15-2012, 17:30
The SP101 is a very potent package in a carry revolver.. Sure wish I'd hung on to mine.

Magus
08-15-2012, 17:39
I wouldn't go above $400 for used personally...and that's probably a tad high. Would depend on condition. They can be had for new for not much more.

Those grips aren't normal stock. Ruger does offer a Hogue grip with their logo on it and that's what's on the one in the pic. Normally they come with a rubber boot grip with plastic inserts. Personally, I find the Hogue grip way more comfortable to shoot, but you'll sacrifice a tad on concealment with the Hogue vs. the normal stock grip if that was an intent.

They are very stout little wheelguns from my experience with them. Looking at getting another one at some point.