War Baby! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : War Baby!

FLRon777
08-15-2012, 16:48
This is the first time I ever had a rifle "built" for me. I have had a hankering for a M1 Carbine "War Baby" for some time. After doing a bit of research, I found that there are an abundance of M1 Carbines available that have been built and rebuilt over the years, from parts made by the numerous companies that originally built these rifles from 1941-1945.

I was not looking for a "correct" collectible, that is made up of parts supplied by one manufacturer. Rather, I wanted something very reliable for personal defense as well as plinking at the range, whenever I finally get some time to do so.

I decided to purchase my M1 Carbine from Fulton Armory, a company with an excellent reputation for quality rifle builds. The rifle has new, USGI original parts, in addition to a Fulton Armory USGI spec receiver and a barrel made by Criterion, an offshoot of Kreiger Barrels. Stocks are new walnut with a boiled linseed oil finish.

The .30 caliber carbine round was not the thumper .30-06 round used in the M1 Garand. The M1 Carbine was never meant to be a main battle rifle, but more suited as an upgrade to a personal sidearm, more suited to rear echelon personnel.

The .30 caliber carbine round fires a 110 gr. projectile at just under 2000 fps and has been improved by the availability of newer soft point rounds that should provide good results out to about 150-200 yards. Weighing just over 5 lbs., and coming in at just under 36" in length make it very light and maneuverable. I am excited to have this historically significant carbine as part of my collection and wanted to share it with our forum members.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb128/FLRon777/M1Carbine4-1.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb128/FLRon777/M1Carbine2.jpg

HKLovingIT
08-15-2012, 17:09
This is the first time I ever had a rifle "built" for me. I have had a hankering for a M1 Carbine "War Baby" for some time. After doing a bit of research, I found that there are an abundance of M1 Carbines available that have been built and rebuilt over the years, from parts made by the numerous companies that originally built these rifles from 1941-1945.

I was not looking for a "correct" collectible, that is made up of parts supplied by one manufacturer. Rather, I wanted something very reliable for personal defense as well as plinking at the range, whenever I finally get some time to do so.

I decided to purchase my M1 Carbine from Fulton Armory, a company with an excellent reputation for quality rifle builds. The rifle has new, USGI original parts, in addition to a Fulton Armory USGI spec receiver and a barrel made by Criterion, an offshoot of Kreiger Barrels. Stocks are new walnut with a boiled linseed oil finish.

The .30 caliber carbine round was not the thumper .30-06 round used in the M1 Garand. The M1 Carbine was never meant to be a main battle rifle, but more suited as an upgrade to a personal sidearm, more suited to rear echelon personnel.

The .30 caliber carbine round fires a 110 gr. projectile at just under 2000 fps and has been improved by the availability of newer soft point rounds that should provide good results out to about 150-200 yards. Weighing just over 5 lbs., and coming in at just under 36" in length make it very light and maneuverable. I am excited to have this historically significant carbine as part of my collection and wanted to share it with our forum members.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb128/FLRon777/M1Carbine4-1.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb128/FLRon777/M1Carbine2.jpg

Very cool. It's one of the most requested "can get one?" rifles by my boys. Yep they love WWII movies.

FLRon777
08-15-2012, 17:23
What a great rifle for a woman or child to learn with. I'm sure they will let you use it every once in a while. :)

countrygun
08-15-2012, 17:24
Congratulations. It has been one of my favorite shoulder guns for over 30 years now.

ca survivor
08-15-2012, 17:25
Congrats, enjoy

bac1023
08-15-2012, 17:52
That's beautiful Ron. I never owned one, but I've always loved those. They're quite pleasant to shoot.

Congrats! :cool:

As a side note, the 30 Carbine round is not quite as tame in my Automag. ;)

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/000_1930.jpg

CBennett
08-15-2012, 17:53
Very cool. It's one of the most requested "can get one?" rifles by my boys. Yep they love WWII movies.

While it wasnt a Carbine my kid is the same he is 12. When I got a chunk of unexpected $$ I told the wife. I just want $1500 give or take for my "once in a lifetime" "expensive" gun(ive never spent more than $450 on a gun till now) I wanted something I will probably never have the $$ for again so I enlisted the kids help. I said we can get a

1. AR carbine type rifle in the $1200 range
2. M1A
3. M1 Carbine
4. M1 Garand
5. FS 2000
6. A pistol caliber carbine or replica SMG like a Thompson,Beretta Storm

OR

a nice 1911 in the $1200 range

I even showed him pictures and we talked about each gun but when I said..So if you could have any of those which one would you like..he said Dad the M1 garand is the gun Winters carreid in band of brothers and they used in private Ryan right? I said yup...he said thats the one you gotta get...So i did :) got it 3 weeks ago..first time to the range was last Sunday...We ran about 80 rounds through it without a hitch! he shot a clip through it but I think he was surprised by the recoil.. :) but he stuck to it...had a smile afterwords and i said thats a soldiers gun its got some kick to it doesnt it..he said yeah but its still fun...I actually thought for a 30-06 its quite a nice mild recoiling rifle for the caliber.

gotta love those m1's and m1 Carbines! Good to see that even the "younger" generation still like,respect, and get it too sometimes :supergrin: