Ruger sp101 & LCR review [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger sp101 & LCR review

40frank
08-15-2012, 17:59
(For some reason, I am having trouble uploading the pics. I will try again later and edit.)

I always had a soft spot for revolvers. For some reason Ruger revolvers have been hard to get in my area. I even called a sales rep who let me know that the demand is so high, they don't anticipate the ability to take new orders until October. With that in mind, I started trolling all the local gun shops. I was lucky enough to come across a LCR .38 and a SP101 .357 mag with a 2.25 inch barrel.

SP101
The SP101 shoots like a dream. If I was able to see it in my sights, I was able to hit it. It shot slightly high with 125 gr .357s but was point of aim with the heavier stuff. The smallest group was with gold dot 158 gr .357 follow by Federal's version of the "FBI load." The only small complaint I had was the trigger. However, by the time I got to the range it was as smooth as butter. (Unloaded) I left the hammer back over night and dry fired the snot out of it every night for a week. By the time I got to the range, it was perfect. I can see why these revolvers are so popular. Incredibly strong, accurate, shootable, and powerful. This may be my new favorite handgun.

LCR
Right out of the box this thing had the best trigger I ever felt on a double action revolver. Recoil was surprisingly controllable for a gun this light. I suspect the polymer trigger housing helped absorb the recoil. For me at least, it paled in comparison to the accuracy of the SP101. I was able to get some decent groups with 158 gr lead round nose. The gun absolutely hated the 130 gr FMJs. The best group was with Federal 158 gr LSWCHP +P. It still wasn't as good as the SP101. At 10 yards the average group was 4 inches. (The SP101 at the same distance was 1.5 inches. In fact, I was able to shoot the SP101 out to 20 yards with respectable groups) Where this gun shines is in the role of a pocket pistol. It is so light, you don't even realize it is there.

Bottom line: I think they are both great revolvers. I know I will get better with the LCR after I get some more trigger time. If you can find either one, buy it.

Getready4it
08-15-2012, 18:27
101 is very hard to beat. The LCR is also a great pistol but I have only fired the 38 version. Would love to try the 357 LCR just to see how such a lightweight pistol feels with magnum loads. I agree if you have a chance on either pick one up especially the 101.

ca survivor
08-19-2012, 11:00
thanks, good review.

CBennett
08-19-2012, 11:12
I also love the Ruger LCR best trigger on the market. If i wanted another da snubby id get the LCR.

glock2740
08-19-2012, 12:16
I really like CC'ing my SP101. I was leaning really hard at getting the LCR, but came across a great deal on a SP101 and have been very pleased.