Regent Arms R350CR 1911: Thoughts? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Regent Arms R350CR 1911: Thoughts?

Jade Falcon
08-15-2012, 20:25
Hi folks,

Recently, I found an advertisement in one of the many gun mags I'm subscribed to, and the gun really caught my eye. I wanted to get your opinions and/or thoughts or experiences with this gun.

It's a 4" 1911 with a accessory rail underneith. This gun really caught my eye; it looks all business, and the ability to put a light on the front is very appealing. The price is decent ($550 MSRP), and the size is nice for CC and for a .45, the all-steel gun should dampen recoil well.

I wouldn't mind having this as a CC piece. Providing I practiced with it, I'd like carrying it more than my G22, and certainly more than my J-frame.

http://regentarms.com/assets/images/R350CRBanner.jpg

http://regentarms.com/products/models/r350cr.html

My only gripe is if it comes with an ambi-thumb safety; I hate those things. Some like them, but I don't.

So thoughts and feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

photoguy
08-15-2012, 20:59
I'm hoping to receive mine by the end of the week. I did some research and it seems like a good amount of gun for the money. It's still relatively new so there isn't a lot of info out there. Someone on my local gun forum bought one and gave it a good review so I felt comfortable taking a chance.

Thread is here (http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/182291-regent-rc350cr-1911-compact.html)

A little more info (http://www.hausofguns.com/2012/01/17/the-new-regent-r350-cr-1911-from-umarex/)

youtube vid from SHOT show

The gun is made in Turkey by a factory that, by all accounts, is turning out some quality firearms. Bud's has them for $490 delivered. I ordered mine on GalleryofGuns.com and had it shipped to my LGS. Out the door price was a few dollars more than Bud's but I get the Davidson's warranty. Now the waiting...

By the way, the ambi controls are a good selling point for us lefties :)

bac1023
08-16-2012, 01:19
I have the R100 and its been great.

ca survivor
08-16-2012, 07:43
looks good, ambi-safety is an easy fix.

MajorD
08-16-2012, 07:50
many foreign made 1911's are a great value (springfield rock island/armscor,regent) And are a great choice for those new to 1911's and on a budget. I myself find buying a foreign made 1911 jsut wrong-for me. Many as said work great and beat some of our U.S. makers for quality control(kimber). I tend to buy all my pistols used, and in my area it is not at all hard to find a good used Colt for well under 750. I can walk in to my local shop right now and find several used Colts under 700 ni fact. of 200 bucks difference the Colt is a better choice. even after you shoot the heck out of it getting 600 bucks back out of it is easy. you will never get that back out of a foreign gun.

fnfalman
08-16-2012, 07:58
many foreign made 1911's are a great value (springfield rock island/armscor,regent) And are a great choice for those new to 1911's and on a budget. I myself find buying a foreign made 1911 jsut wrong-for me. Many as said work great and beat some of our U.S. makers for quality control(kimber). I tend to buy all my pistols used, and in my area it is not at all hard to find a good used Colt for well under 750. I can walk in to my local shop right now and find several used Colts under 700 ni fact. of 200 bucks difference the Colt is a better choice. even after you shoot the heck out of it getting 600 bucks back out of it is easy. you will never get that back out of a foreign gun.

While I'm with you on the Colt part, however not everybody wants to buy a used gun and cheap used Colts don't usually come with accessories rail.

fnfalman
08-16-2012, 08:00
I haven't shot but examined the Turkish M1911 before (not this one but the full size one). They seem to be well made, as typical the various Turkish guns currently being imported. I bought the Turkish Beretta clone Cougar .45ACP last year and other than the less prettier finish than the true Beretta Cougar, it had worked really well up to date.

The ambidextrous safety is an easy fix. There are tons of aftermarket single-sided safety levers available. I had to switch out the ambi safety that came on my Colt XSE Lightweight Commander too.

photoguy
08-16-2012, 09:11
I myself find buying a foreign made 1911 jsut wrong-for me. Many as said work great and beat some of our U.S. makers for quality control(kimber). I tend to buy all my pistols used, and in my area it is not at all hard to find a good used Colt for well under 750.

I wrestled with my decision for a while. This is my first 1911. Up to this point I considered $500 cost of admission for a decent gun (Glock etc). I also buy used and typically pay $500-$600 for good used Sigs. Then you start checking out 1911s and it's a whole different ball game. All of a sudden $1000 - $1200 is cost of admission into the decent quality guns. Since I'm not sure I'll like the platform a foreign well-made pistol at an attractive price point seemed like a good start. The Regent can be had for under $500 delivered and by all accounts provides a decent amount of gun for the money. Even in the used market I had a hard time finding a similar value at that price point.

I tend to treat purchases like this as "training wheels". If I really like the platform it will be much easier to justify a budget increase for my next model.

Wolfdad
08-16-2012, 09:32
I looked at a Regent at my LGS expecting to find something wrong with it. I couldn't find anything. It looked like a solid 1911, comparable to RIA.

Wyoming
08-16-2012, 10:08
While I'm with you on the Colt part, however not everybody wants to buy a used gun and cheap used Colts don't usually come with accessories rail.

There is not such thing as a "cheap used Colt".:whistling:

fnfalman
08-16-2012, 10:14
There is not such thing as a "cheap used Colt".:whistling:

Of course there is. If you're not a sucker and just want to pay the Prancing Pony price, you can always negotiate and be prepared to walk away.

Wyoming
08-16-2012, 10:32
Of course there is. If you're not a sucker and just want to pay the Prancing Pony price, you can always negotiate and be prepared to walk away.

I own about 200 guns and only three are Colts. A nickel Cobra, a Anaconda and a Colt Match Target. Two and a half safe queen! After negotiations I had to walk away.

On the bright side every Colt I ever sold I sold for way more than I paid for it.

63bmechanic
08-16-2012, 11:19
I wrestled with my decision for a while. This is my first 1911. Up to this point I considered $500 cost of admission for a decent gun (Glock etc). I also buy used and typically pay $500-$600 for good used Sigs. Then you start checking out 1911s and it's a whole different ball game. All of a sudden $1000 - $1200 is cost of admission into the decent quality guns. Since I'm not sure I'll like the platform a foreign well-made pistol at an attractive price point seemed like a good start. The Regent can be had for under $500 delivered and by all accounts provides a decent amount of gun for the money. Even in the used market I had a hard time finding a similar value at that price point.

I tend to treat purchases like this as "training wheels". If I really like the platform it will be much easier to justify a budget increase for my next model.
a lot of the price of 1911 is ego price gouging, its the "god of guns" to some people, and to others the retired ww2 vet who talks about martching 15 miles up hill in the snow. price doesnt always reflect quality, inspect it, shoot it at the shop if possible, if you like it, buy it, run the piss out of it to make sure it works. i bought a 500 dollar RIA tactical, great shooter, never gave me issues.

Sharkey
08-16-2012, 11:39
Well if it is going to be used for the range, it is probably ok.
It really isn't a tier one gun.
Have you checked the list?

Oops, sorry wrong gun and wrong thread. :tongueout:

Jade Falcon
08-16-2012, 19:56
Thanks everyone for the input! Yes, it does come with that ambi-safety, but I wasn't aware that you can change it to a single-sided safety with after-market parts. That's good news for me. The reason I don't like ambi's, is the simple fact that, on the few 1911's I've handled, the safety just gets in the way of my grasp (I'm right-handed), and doesn't "feel right". Also, I believe that they tend to add just that much more bulk to a handgun that's famous for being slim/thin.

As for the whole "foreign gun vs. US-made gun" debate, it's not a problem with me. I own a Glock, and I own a AK-47 from Romania; both have been made outside the US (the Glock assembled in Georgia, but you know what I mean), and neither one has ever caused me problems. That, and the "Purity" factor isn't an issue with me. Yes, the 1911 is a US designed pistol, but if other countries can pull off the design well enough that a person would feel comfortable carrying it daily, then awesome, more power to them!

The price is right. I just might have to think on this. It would be this, or a G26/27. And I need $$$ first anyways, which I don't have, so it's a future purchase. And before I buy another handgun, I'm buying my first M4. But alas...that's a conversation for another thread.

Thanks folks!

eyelikeglasses
08-17-2012, 01:15
Thanks for the thread. I've been curious about these also, being a college student on a budget and all.

fnfalman
08-17-2012, 03:58
Thanks for the thread. I've been curious about these also, being a college student on a budget and all.

I feel your pain. Back in 1992 I bought a Springfield Armory GI model instead of a Colt just because of the college student & budget issue.

bac1023
08-17-2012, 04:10
Here's my R100 model. :)

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/008-14.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/003-12.jpg

photoguy
08-17-2012, 08:00
OK newb question here.
It's already been posted that an ambi safety can be replaced with a single. Can I assume that the opposite is also true; a single safety can be replaced with an aftermarket ambi?

Wyoming
08-17-2012, 08:24
OK newb question here.
It's already been posted that an ambi safety can be replaced with a single. Can I assume that the opposite is also true; a single safety can be replaced with an aftermarket ambi?

Yes. Most of the new one do need to be fitted. They come slightly over sized and you remove just enough metal till they work.

In fact I have couple of right hand only safeties that I would be willing to give away free to college students on a budget. :wavey:

Jade, I am not very computer smart but if you PM me with a mailing address I will mail one to you.

MajorD
08-17-2012, 09:13
my last three colts were all bought under 700 bucks- two series 70's and a series 80 (the 80 cost under 600) so yes "cheap" colts are out there

bac1023
08-17-2012, 09:20
OK newb question here.

Yes, but you probably would want a smith to it for you.

Wyoming
08-17-2012, 10:31
my last three colts were all bought under 700 bucks- two series 70's and a series 80 (the 80 cost under 600) so yes "cheap" colts are out there

The first Colt 1911 I ever bought was a new Colt 1911 Mark IV Series 70 for $110. My Dad had to sign for it.

If you want to spent $700 for a blue Colt and shoot it sparling and if it is in nice condition you will be able to sell it for more years later. So free pistol.

If you want a 1911 to shoot then you want better sights put on. You may want to add a beaver tail for comfort. If you reload then you will want the ejection port lowered. If you are left hand like me you will want to add an ambi safety. Also I remember that the Colt bluing wearing badly in the grip so you might want to add a more durable finish. Back then you would pin the safety down, now a no no, so change out for a newer grip safety with bump.

That is if you want to use your Colt. If you do that then you wont be able to get your money out of it because your Colt has been altered. Collectors don't like that.

Or you could buy you a Springfield Range Officer save yourself a lot of time. If you are willing to shop around for a used Colt you can shop around for a new or slightly used Springfield loaded, a Remington R1, Ruger 1911 or Kimber.

I bought a used in like new condition a Springfield TRP for a lot less than what you will have in your "updated" Colt Series 70/80. The TRP will out shoot a Colt Gold Cup that I owned for many years. I still had to add ambi safety, beef up the recoil spring to handle hardball, had the grip safety pinned and went with rubber wrap around Pacmayer grips. The bluing still wore off. The TRP is stainless steel and come with checkered front.

There many people that buy guns and there are a few people that buy guns and use them.

Jade Falcon
08-17-2012, 18:04
Yes. Most of the new one do need to be fitted. They come slightly over sized and you remove just enough metal till they work.

In fact I have couple of right hand only safeties that I would be willing to give away free to college students on a budget. :wavey:

Jade, I am not very computer smart but if you PM me with a mailing address I will mail one to you.

lol, the gun, or the safety? lol, thanks man! I'll send you a PM with my mailing addy.

photoguy
08-24-2012, 08:13
I picked up my Regent a few days ago. Hopefully I'll get to the range today. So far I'm more than pleased with the fit and finish. Gallery of Guns has it available for shipment to your LGS.

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac300/mp_photoshooter/Sigs%20etc/regent_r350cr_17-1.jpg

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac300/mp_photoshooter/Sigs%20etc/regent_r350cr_18-1.jpg

Sharkey
08-24-2012, 08:26
That looks sharp. Have fun.

I'm a sucka for an officer frame/commander slide. If they made one of those, I'd be all over that especially with the rail.

deadite
08-25-2012, 17:01
More pix please!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

photoguy
08-25-2012, 20:14
This is the only other pic I have at the moment

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac300/mp_photoshooter/Sigs%20etc/regent_r350cr_19.jpg

Jade Falcon
08-31-2012, 21:13
This is the only other pic I have at the moment

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac300/mp_photoshooter/Sigs%20etc/regent_r350cr_19.jpg

How's it shoot?

photoguy
09-01-2012, 06:33
I finally got it to the range a few days ago and I'm very pleased with it. There's a thread about this in the 1911 forum as well. (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1439860) I only had time to put 50 rounds through it but it performed wonderfully.

kahrcarrier
09-01-2012, 09:45
Looks like an interesting entry into the 1911 field.....

Bob Hafler
09-02-2012, 05:02
I always wanted a GI 1911 similiar to the one I carried on ocassion while in the Navy but did not want to spend big bucks on one. A friend who is very knowledgeable on 1911's suggested Springfields GI model or the RIA,s GI model. Well after much research I bought the Rock. I have to tell you guys I'm really enjoying this pistol. It has well over a 1000 45 cailber rounds through it in many different brands without a hitch. . Hollow points is not an issue with the Rock. Also the GI model does not have a fireing pin safety wich makes for a very nice trigger pull.
One thing I did not like about the Rock was the grips, so I changed them out, but other then that I'm having a ball with this pistol. I also bought a short barreled SS Springfield Champion from a friend and it was a great gun as far as being reliable. I really wanted to love that pistol but the short barrel in the 1911 platform just isn't a good fit for me so I resold it.
No the Rock GI model will never be a collectors item but it's alot more accurate then some of the 1911's I shot in the military, and it was a couple bucks over $400 at the time. I'd say if that's what you like buy it.