Another NFA question for those in the know. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Another NFA question for those in the know.

RYT 2BER
08-16-2012, 06:36
Don't know if anyone can answer.

If you were to pay the stamp to put a vertical foregrip on a pistol can you simply uninstall the vfg or is it required to stay on at all times?

ronin.45
08-16-2012, 09:26
The stamp would turn the gun into an AOW, not the foregrip. You could take the grip off and on as you please, but the gun would still be registered as an AOW.

chemcmndr
08-16-2012, 19:03
The firearm would still be registered as an AOW, but when you remove the vfg, it would no longer be in AOW configuration. Sort of like taking an SBR AR lower and throwing a 16"+ barrel on it. Yeah, the serial number is on file with the ATF as being an SBR, but its no longer in the SBR configuration.

Bottom line, yeah, you can take the VFG off without a problem, but if you ever decide to sell it as a non-NFA, take it off the NFA registry to avoid hastles.

RYT 2BER
08-16-2012, 20:29
The firearm would still be registered as an AOW, but when you remove the vfg, it would no longer be in AOW configuration. Sort of like taking an SBR AR lower and throwing a 16"+ barrel on it. Yeah, the serial number is on file with the ATF as being an SBR, but its no longer in the SBR configuration.

Bottom line, yeah, you can take the VFG off without a problem, but if you ever decide to sell it as a non-NFA, take it off the NFA registry to avoid hastles.

Thanks to both posters for their answers. Much appreciated..

Hmmm this comment interests me... I really don't know crap about nfa stuff other than what I've read....

So you are saying that there is a way that although if once registered as an aow with a vfg, that it could be removed and later returned to "non" aow status by taking it off nfa registry....

How does one do that...? Is it simply a letter to the ATF ? If it is taken off the registry could the item be sold as any normal pistol? :dunno:

rjrivero
08-16-2012, 20:42
Thanks to both posters for their answers. Much appreciated..

Hmmm this comment interests me... I really don't know crap about nfa stuff other than what I've read....

So you are saying that there is a way that although if once registered as an aow with a vfg, that it could be removed and later returned to "non" aow status by taking it off nfa registry....

How does one do that...? Is it simply a letter to the ATF ? If it is taken off the registry could the item be sold as any normal pistol? :dunno:
Actually, you can sell it as a NON NFA item at any time, if it is not in NFA configuration at the time. ATF simply REQUESTS that you notify them that it has been permanently changed configuration. You don't HAVE to.

However, if I was going to register my Glock in the NFA, I would do it as a SBR. Reason being, the cost is the same to form 1 a pistol into an SBR or AOW. So, as an SBR you can put a vertical foregrip on it OR you can put a stock on it, or both, or neither.

Haldor
08-17-2012, 05:31
Actually, you can sell it as a NON NFA item at any time, if it is not in NFA configuration at the time. ATF simply REQUESTS that you notify them that it has been permanently changed configuration. You don't HAVE to.

However, if I was going to register my Glock in the NFA, I would do it as a SBR. Reason being, the cost is the same to form 1 a pistol into an SBR or AOW. So, as an SBR you can put a vertical foregrip on it OR you can put a stock on it, or both, or neither.

Except if you decide to sell it the AOW transfer stamp is only $5, instead of the SBR $200 transfer stamp.

I would consider finding a SOT manufacturer to convert the pistol into an AOW, that way you only have to pay the $5 transfer fee to buy it (plus whatever the SOT wants for doing it).

WoodenPlank
08-17-2012, 06:14

When the ATF "requests" something, it is generally in your best interest to comply - especially in the world of NFA items. When all it costs is a few minutes of time and a postage stamp, just do it and keep your ass covered.

OP, don't forget that a pistol that gets registered as an NFA item must be engraved with the information of the person or company doing the paperwork. That engraving is most likely going to destroy any and all resale value of that weapon.

RYT 2BER
08-17-2012, 18:29
OP, don't forget that a pistol that gets registered as an NFA item must be engraved with the information of the person or company doing the paperwork. That engraving is most likely going to destroy any and all resale value of that weapon.

Good point... I didn't realize all of that was necessary for just the vfg....thought that was only necessary for a full blown sbr...

That's a deal breaker for this project. :embarassed:

ronin.45
08-17-2012, 19:49
I have to ask, why do you want a foregrip on your pistol?

RYT 2BER
08-17-2012, 20:58
I was contemplating putting one on a kriss pistol.... Remember... Not exactly a regular pistol..

Quiet
08-17-2012, 21:28
Per BATFE NFA branch...

vertical forward grip on a handgun = Title 2 AOW

horizontal forward grip on a handgun = Title 1 handgun

angled forward grip on a handgun = Title 1 handgun

WoodenPlank
08-17-2012, 21:45
Good point... I didn't realize all of that was necessary for just the vfg....thought that was only necessary for a full blown sbr...

That's a deal breaker for this project. :embarassed:

That's required on all NFA items.

Sent from the U.S.S. Sulaco

ronin.45
08-17-2012, 22:05
I was contemplating putting one on a kriss pistol.... Remember... Not exactly a regular pistol..

Gotcha.

chemcmndr
08-18-2012, 00:08

I've taken the stock off of my MP5K SBR, and it wasn't that comfortable, or accurate to shoot. Put the stock on, it becomes a very compact and effective package.

WoodenPlank
08-18-2012, 00:22
I've taken the stock off of my MP5K SBR, and it wasn't that comfortable, or accurate to shoot. Put the stock on, it becomes a very compact and effective package.

Have you ever tried the Euro shooting method with that? Use a good sling(I believe the Europeans usually use single-point slings, interestingly), foregrip and main grip, and you actually extend the weapon away from you so the sling is tight between your body and the weapon. From what I have heard, it actually works really well for the stockless MP5s, or when you have the stock folded or collapsed.

chemcmndr
08-18-2012, 07:09
Have you ever tried the Euro shooting method with that? Use a good sling(I believe the Europeans usually use single-point slings, interestingly), foregrip and main grip, and you actually extend the weapon away from you so the sling is tight between your body and the weapon. From what I have heard, it actually works really well for the stockless MP5s, or when you have the stock folded or collapsed.

I've tried using that method, and it works somewhat well. Only thing is that when you sling it, the MP5K has the habit of turning and flopping around all over the place (at least with the regular butt plate, the Choate stock sling hook isn't as bad).

One other method I've found somewhat effective is bracing the MP5K alongside your support forearm, and using your support arm to "point" the weapon.

Obviously, neither of these methods substitute for the ease/controlability of having a stock on it.

RYT 2BER
08-19-2012, 09:12

This is my plan... Seen some good vids of people slinging it and it looks pretty darn controlled....