Legal question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Legal question

2-tap
08-16-2012, 07:07
I am a dedicated concealed carry permit holder. I carry my m&p shield every time i go out the door and im working on getting my wife to do the same. Say your at a convenience store, walmart or whatever and somebody comes in with a gun to rob the place. What can you legally do? Ideally they give him the money and he leaves with nobody hurt but what if he starts shooting the cashier or other people. Ive heard people say never shoot to wound someone why not? I dont think i can sit there and watch people get killed if i have the means to stop it. Violence in general even a fight just strikes a nerve, i hate it. On the other is it worth going to prison to save a stranger? That might sound bad but its reality. Just looking for your thoughts on this. Thanks

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

MajorD
08-16-2012, 07:53
having been in gunfights myself (Iraq and Afghanistan) it is very hard to hold your composure and your ability to be accurate will suffer GREATLY. this is why center mass is the answer. you would be the rare rare bird that could effectively target someone to produce a non lethal "wounding shot" great stuff for the monday morning quarterbacks and liberal media to throw around but not reality. There is an old saying every bullet that leaves your muzzle has a lawyer attached- the very last thing you would want to do is miss the threat and hurt a bystander.

DonD
08-16-2012, 08:01
Rules vary by state, your CCW class should have taught you the answer to that question.

What you aren't is law enforcement and trying to be LE can get you a prison cell.

What if you see someone beating the crap out of another? Shoot the one that is winning? He might have been defending himself from an attacker and just now getting the best of the fight. Pretty dangerous.

Not trying to be critical at all but if you go beyond the scope of your permit and state laws, the horror of being in a prison with hard core violent offenders will quickly overwhelm any good feelings you got from trying to be a good samaritan. Don

2-tap
08-16-2012, 08:17
Rules vary by state, your CCW class should have taught you the answer to that question.

What you aren't is law enforcement and trying to be LE can get you a prison cell.

What if you see someone beating the crap out of another? Shoot the one that is winning? He might have been defending himself from an attacker and just now getting the best of the fight. Pretty dangerous.

Not trying to be critical at all but if you go beyond the scope of your permit and state laws, the horror of being in a prison with hard core violent offenders will quickly overwhelm any good feelings you got from trying to be a good samaritan. Don

I agree i dont want to be le just some thoughts i had. All in all i carry to protect myself and my wife. I dont want to kill or even shoot anyone.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

M2 Carbine
08-16-2012, 08:44
Say your at a convenience store, walmart or whatever and somebody comes in with a gun to rob the place. What can you legally do? Ideally they give him the money and he leaves with nobody hurt but what if he starts shooting the cashier or other people?
It varies by state.

In Texas we can shoot him.

Personally (if I was positive of the facts) I would shoot him, several times.

It's too late in life for me to become a coward and stand by while this happens. If I stood by and did nothing while a POS hurt/killed an inocent person, I would consider myself as much a POS as the person doing the killing.

ChiefWPD
08-16-2012, 09:37
..... Say your at a convenience store, walmart or whatever and somebody comes in with a gun to rob the place. What can you legally do?....

The answer to your question would be far too complex and long for a posting here. Basic answer is; if you or an innocent third party is in fear for your life (that is, you are facing a deadly physical force event), then you may use the force necessary to stop the threat.

One side note; it is impossible (yeah, there are those who will debate this) for you to attempt to "shoot to wound" a person involved in a deadly physical force attack on you and have any chance of prevailing. Such situations are simply too fluid, of such a short time frame, filled with fear, terror and confusion, for such a tactic to actually succeed. It's just a fantasy.

H&K 4 LIFE
08-16-2012, 10:09
You need to review your state/local laws surrounding the judicious use of deadly force, and specifically, the judicious use of deadly force in defense of a third party. If you read the pertinent laws and the answer is still unclear then seek out proper legal counsel in your area who can interpret the law for you.

The internet is not the best place for answers to these types of "what if" legal questions.

Wyoming
08-16-2012, 10:22
A firearm is deadly force. You never use deadly force to intentionally wound.

If you are not justified in killing someone then you are not justified in shooting them.

If you shoot a person you need to be able to explain why you were right in doing so to the world.

Now to really wet in your Wheaties. After a shooting you could have been wrong but justified. You will be judge by "what a reasonable person would have done in your situation".

Juries will vary state by state. a Texas jury will be better than a New York jury.