NYC cop has to shoot protective pit bull on the street [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NYC cop has to shoot protective pit bull on the street

cowboy1964
08-16-2012, 08:54
(quick search didn't show me any threads on this yet but who knows)

Synopsis: pit bull was guarding seizing owner. Pit bull rushes cop, gets shot by another cop.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/the-video-of-an-nypd-officer-shooting-an-aggresive-pit-bull-on-the-street-will-shock-you-graphic/

How often do we hear about how weak 9mm is against large aggressive dogs?

"WHY DID YOU SHOOT THE DOG!?" Why do you THINK lady? Would you be asking that if it had lunged at YOU and clamped onto your leg... or your throat?

Adamz04
08-16-2012, 09:42
That's tough to watch for me being a dog lover, but he did the right thing by putting it down because it was preventing anyone from helping its owner. I don't understand how after the dog is down no one is helping the guy. The bystanders are yelling at the cops for shooting the dog but do nothing for the man? New York for ya

unit1069
08-16-2012, 10:24
Good shooting, in my opinion.

That obscene screaming woman might feel different if it was the pit bull rushing at her, and I'm certain she'd feel different if a dog known for it's massive jaw power was preventing emergency medical personnel from attending to her and possibly saving her life.

Some people are just too stupid to understand the big picture, but in fairness she might have been suffering some disorientation after the shock of seeing an officer fire and kill the animal.

johnjasonchun
08-16-2012, 11:00
Should have shot the dog 2-3 times...

M 7
08-16-2012, 14:40

Synopsis: pit bull was guarding seizuring owner. Pit bull rushes cop, gets shot by another cop.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/the-video-of-an-nypd-officer-shooting-an-aggresive-pit-bull-on-the-street-will-shock-you-graphic/

"WHY DID YOU SHOOT THE DOG!?" Why do you THINK lady? Would you be asking that if it had lunged at YOU and clamped onto your leg... or your throat?

That was horrible.

Necessary, but horrible.

The (not so) "innocent" bystanders who have a problem with it wouldn't let themselves be bitten, but its OK if someone else has their leg amputated below the knee by that four-legged stump-grinder. :upeyes:

Of course, these are also the sort of people who would say that the police must also have bullets flying past their heads before they can shoot to defend themselves. By the time that happens, the police are already dead.

12gamossberg
08-16-2012, 14:57
Trade that 9mm in for a .40 S&W!

dakrat
08-16-2012, 18:19
lady screaming "why did you shoot him?".... uhh is she blind?

JW1178
08-16-2012, 19:41
That's so sad but it has to happen because the dog is just trying to protect the man, no malitious intent, and it felt so much pain, hearing him scream, I really hate seeing that. They didn't need to keep shooting the dog when it was down. After the first two shots the dog was down. However I'm not going to nit-pick. Even if they didn't shoot it again it just would have died anyways. I guess the dog has a bad rep, so maybe it's for the best. I am a bleeding heart liberal for animals.... people not so much.

9mm +p+
08-16-2012, 19:46
What an idiotic post.

happyguy
08-16-2012, 19:58
SOP when I worked around Military Working Dog Teams. If the handler is down and the dog won't let you attend to him, you kill the dog. Those dogs are very expensive but you have to have your priorities.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

seanmac45
08-16-2012, 19:59

Why? The round did exactly what it was supposed to do.

Nice job. Good, quick hit under stress.

Adamz04
08-17-2012, 03:16
Why? The round did exactly what it was supposed to do.

Nice job. Good, quick hit under stress.

That's what I thought. A charging pit bull and a quick unset shot. That's clutch shooting. Great job. I would have liked to see him give it one more so it didn't suffer, but he did the right thing because the dog was down and there was people all around and another shot just wasn't required. I love animals and hate any kind to suffer at all, but people have to come first!!!

NEOH212
08-17-2012, 03:51
I love animals but oh well.

If that dog charged me, I would have done the same thing and have before.

Tough do do. Dog not contained + dog charges cop= dead dog.

NEOH212
08-17-2012, 03:56
There was no way the first responders were going to get close to that guy with the dog there. By the time animal control would get there he could have died.

A life was at stake and they had a job to do. It's sad but oh well.

NEOH212
08-17-2012, 03:56

It sure looked like the 9mm did just fine to me. :whistling:

ILannoyed
08-17-2012, 05:58
What it boils down to is irresponsible pet ownership. The junkie can't even take care of himself or stay sober enough to supervise what he knows to be an aggressive dog. Sad to see but good shoot nonetheless.

unit1069
08-17-2012, 06:16
It sure looked like the 9mm did just fine to me. :whistling:

It appears the same way to me. I assume the round used to stop the pit bull was Speer 124-grain Gold Dot +P.

seanmac45
08-17-2012, 06:26
Yes it was.

Brucev
08-17-2012, 07:12
The policeman is to be commended for handling the situation appropriately. The concerns of the bystanders, etc. are without merit.

Travclem
08-17-2012, 08:07
Good shoot! But why no help for the seizure victim after the shooting?

spcwes
08-17-2012, 09:07

Having to fire your weapon on duty even in a situation like this is life changing in some cases and people deal with this differently. The lady screaming, a busy street and rounds fired.

Not to mention I don't know their policy on stuff like this, he might have been following it by standing by waiting on the EMTs. Who knows, but he made it safe for the responding EMTs though and kept his leg from getting chewed off so that is all that matters. Hate to see the animal go down like that but his owners safety has to come first.

Inebriated
08-17-2012, 11:05
Seems like a damn good shot on the officers part... small target moving quickly.. with teeth.

Bystanders were rage-inducing, but... that's New York.

Travclem
08-17-2012, 16:01
Having to fire your weapon on duty even in a situation like this is life changing in some cases and people deal with this differently. The lady screaming, a busy street and rounds fired.

Not to mention I don't know their policy on stuff like this, he might have been following it by standing by waiting on the EMTs. Who knows, but he made it safe for the responding EMTs though and kept his leg from getting chewed off so that is all that matters. Hate to see the animal go down like that but his owners safety has to come first.

I just wouldn't figure killing a dog would emotionally distress a cop. I've killed pickup bed loads of pits off our cows. (neighbors used to raise them)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

GlockWheeler
08-17-2012, 17:18
I just wouldn't figure killing a dog would emotionally distress a cop. I've killed pickup bed loads of pits off our cows. (neighbors used to raise them)

Ah, but cops are human too. If a person has been around the diposal of animals (even raised around slaughter of cattle, etc.), putting a dog down would likely not be too hard to do. However, having to shoot that dog could be upsetting for someone who may have never had to kill an animal before. I was raised around the slaughter of cows, pigs, chickens and such and even though I didn't like it, it didn't affect me later on the way it did some of my relatives who had been raised in a big city and had never seen something like that before. In addition, it didn't appear as though the dog died and was actually in pain, which could be more upsetting than just having killed it.

WiskyT
08-17-2012, 17:20

I don't know what their SOP's are, but generally speaking, there isn't much you can do for a seizure victim other than to clear the area around them. EMT's can use Diastat if the victim has it, and Paramedics can administer other benzos, but most cops are just First Responders with very limited medical training, maybe not in rural areas where they could be EMT's or Medics.

All we could do in a situation like that, minus the dog, is try to gather any useful info on the patient for the Medics. This guy appears to be a "frequent flier" and they probably already had any info that could help him.

Also, very frequently, what comes in as a "seizure" is really an over dose. While some seizures don't have convulsions, this guy was known to OD frequently according to his associate who was quoted in the article.

seanmac45
08-17-2012, 17:38
The only thing those two cops could do for that patient was to ensure EMS was notified and had complete access upon arrival.

That they accomplished.

Travclem
08-17-2012, 19:29
Fair enough.

Berto
08-18-2012, 22:01
Good shoot, IMO. ( ..and I love dogs, incl. my APBT)

4949shooter
08-19-2012, 05:32
The only thing those two cops could do for that patient was to ensure EMS was notified and had complete access upon arrival.

That they accomplished.

Absolutely.

I didn't get to see the video as it was removed for copyrights. But a few years ago two of my coworkers had to shoot a pit bull. They were walking up to a residence to serve a warrant, when the owner opens up the door and "accidentally" :steamed: lets the dog out. The dog rushed my buddy who lets loose two 124 grain Gold dots at it. The dog leaps and misses him and then turns around for a second charge. My buddy then lets go two more rounds. The dog then takes off.

The dog warden found the pit bull still alive the next day. It had been hit four times and was still alive. Neal still has a picture of it taken at the pound. There is a bullet hole underneath the dog's left eye. The pit just has this look on it's face like something just ruined his day. Those dogs are tough MF'ers. I really don't think choice of caliber would have made much of a difference in this case.

WiskyT
08-19-2012, 07:05
My partner and I had to shoot two dogs, one a mix of some kind, the other a rottie. I hit the mix with a slug and they both ran, the one I hit ran away never to be seen again. The other ran at my partner who emptied his Beretta 96 at it. I saw one impact in the lung area and it took off into the woods. Two days later the rottie showed up in a back yard snarling at some kids. A co-worker put a load of 00 buck into it and that was the end of it.

Yes, dogs are tough. The one I hit with the slug basically had one of it's front legs torn off and still ran like the wind. The other took a 165 SXT laterally through the ribs and was ready for battle two days later.

It's hard to tell from the video, but it looks like the Officer on the right sprayed OC at the dog, I'm not sure if it connected. I have sprayed several dogs and OC really takes the fight out of them. It's not an easy decision to make at 20 feet with a charging dog, but if you can use OC, it is a "one shot stop" IME when gunfire often isn't.

4949shooter
08-19-2012, 12:26
I got your link. Thanks..

eyelikeglasses
08-19-2012, 17:55

Synopsis: pit bull was guarding seizuring owner. Pit bull rushes cop, gets shot by another cop.

The dog was not large. You sure sound tough though.

eyelikeglasses
08-19-2012, 17:57
That was horrible.

Necessary, but horrible.

The (not so) "innocent" bystanders who have a problem with it wouldn't let themselves be bitten, but its OK if someone else has their leg amputated below the knee by that four-legged stump-grinder. :upeyes:

Of course, these are also the sort of people who would say that the police must also have bullets flying past their heads before they can shoot to defend themselves. By the time that happens, the police are already dead.

The dog didn't bite anyone. It "charged" a woman before the cop, and bounced off her legs.
As was said in the previous thread about this, Man the F8c%k Up.

eyelikeglasses
08-19-2012, 18:02
It was a small dog. Use your foot to kick it. Why are some police so afraid of the job they signed up for?

seanmac45
08-19-2012, 18:20
No one signed up to be bitten by a pit bull.

Maybe in your universe, but not in real life.

seanmac45
08-19-2012, 18:20
Tell you what, I'd gladly throw YOU in the path of a dog charging me so as not to have to shoot it.

4949shooter
08-19-2012, 18:27
It was a small dog. Use your foot to kick it. Why are some police so afraid of the job they signed up for?

What are the police supposed to do when the pit bull latches on to the officer's leg with a death grip?

Can you predict what an animal will do? How about an animal that has already been showing aggressive tendencies?

elliotb33
08-19-2012, 18:55
Vid is down but lol t this quote “She’s bitten a bunch of our friends,” she said of the dog. “But now the first time it bites a yuppie, they shoot it? It shows that they’re not really there to protect and serve. They just protect and serve the rich.”

seanmac45
08-19-2012, 19:12
Try watching the actual video before you spread your Occupy nonsense.

Bodyarmorguy
08-19-2012, 19:33
That's tough to watch for me being a dog lover, but he did the right thing by putting it down because it was preventing anyone from helping its owner. I don't understand how after the dog is down no one is helping the guy. The bystanders are yelling at the cops for shooting the dog but do nothing for the man? New York for ya

Ditto, trust me shooting a dog is not something that your average cop enjoys. Recently, in Indiana, a K9 handler was shot by a suspect and his four legged partner was doing as he was trained, protecting his handler. Responding Officers were forced to shoot the K9 in order to rescue and get aid for the handler.

eyelikeglasses
08-19-2012, 19:42
Tell you what, I'd gladly throw YOU in the path of a dog charging me so as not to have to shoot it.

Deal Sean, I'd risk a bite for your sake and the dog's. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm not afraid of a single dog. I've always had large dogs since I was a child. I got bit once, by accident I believe, breaking up two of my dogs fighting. I don't believe dogs by themselves are a threat or evil, unless foaming at the mouth :wavey: The dog in the video was stressed cause it's human was in trouble. Approaching it in a non threatening manner would have, probably, avoided the need to shoot it. I am more than comfortable giving an unknown dog the benefit of the doubt.

kmb
08-19-2012, 20:15
...Approaching it in a non threatening manner would have, probably, avoided the need to shoot it. I am more than comfortable giving an unknown dog the benefit of the doubt.

...probably avoided the need to shoot it... WTF color is the sky in your world?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

eyelikeglasses
08-19-2012, 20:17
Blue.
If your only tool is a hammer, does everything look like a nail?

elliotb33
08-19-2012, 22:09
You see the lady walk up and the dog got her leg? Yea walk up to it in a non threatening way, yea okay. Did you not see this quote from the owner? “She’s bitten a bunch of our friends,” she said of the dog. “But now the first time it bites a yuppie, they shoot it? It shows that they’re not really there to protect and serve. They just protect and serve the rich.”

unit1069
08-19-2012, 22:29
Deal Sean, I'd risk a bite for your sake and the dog's. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm not afraid of a single dog. I've always had large dogs since I was a child. I got bit once, by accident I believe, breaking up two of my dogs fighting. I don't believe dogs by themselves are a threat or evil, unless foaming at the mouth :wavey: The dog in the video was stressed cause it's human was in trouble. Approaching it in a non threatening manner would have, probably, avoided the need to shoot it. I am more than comfortable giving an unknown dog the benefit of the doubt.

This post reminds me of the "perfesser" who took his girlfriend to spend some weeks in Alaska living among wild bears. Of course, "perfesser" knew all about animals so no problem, right?

I'd link the gruesome photos of both corpses but don't have time to look for the story tonight. Anyway, since you've volunteered to throw yourself in front of a vicious dog we all applaud your false bravado.

"Get out here. I'm getting killed!" (http://www.adn.com/2003/10/09/585763/treadwell-get-out-here-im-getting.html)

The remains of the Southern Californians who periodically came to Alaska to live intimately with the bears were found the next day.

eyelikeglasses
08-19-2012, 23:24
I'm not talking Grizzly bears. It is a dog. Your hero fantasy where you shoot up everything is false bravado. You know I mean a solitary, by itself dog, right?

eyelikeglasses
08-19-2012, 23:25
You see the lady walk up and the dog got her leg? Yea walk up to it in a non threatening way, yea okay. Did you not see this quote from the owner? “She’s bitten a bunch of our friends,” she said of the dog. “But now the first time it bites a yuppie, they shoot it? It shows that they’re not really there to protect and serve. They just protect and serve the rich.”

That says more about the owners and their friends than the dog.

Inebriated
08-20-2012, 01:07
That says more about the owners and their friends than the dog.
Ok, says whatever about the owners and their friends...

What does that matter to the officer being charged?

WinterWizard
08-20-2012, 03:34
Here is a new link to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tx68uvOqug

I agree with shooting the dog. It was aggressive, briefly attacked one of the crowd members then charged the cop a second later. However, the cop shoots the dog as it's about 18 inches away from the homeless dude lying there. He was also aiming down, in the general direction of the homeless guy. If he had missed, watch out for ricocheting bullet fragments off the street, or an accidental hit on the homeless guy from a poor shot. Bad shot judgement, in my opinion. And before anyone says, "What would you have done?". I would have let the thing get to me then shoot it as it's near my feet. A possible bite on the leg is worth not risking an innocent human life. Or why not pepper spray it to begin with? - let it run off. Hindsight is 20/20, but shouldn't police officers, especially in big cities, be trained to deal with unruly animals, especially dogs? If not, they should be.

It baffles me how people in the crowd can watch the whole thing and then be screaming at the cops, asking why they did it. That is how indoctrinated the public is in liberal, scum cities.

Of course, if it would have been a .45 acp, it would have been instant death. Anyone who has seen No Country For Old Men knows this. Ha ha ha!

Go to 2:00 mark for fictional dog shooting...
No Country for Old Men Favourite Scene - YouTube

Bren
08-20-2012, 05:34
The dog didn't bite anyone. It "charged" a woman before the cop, and bounced off her legs.
As was said in the previous thread about this, Man the F8c%k Up.

A comment usually made by those who never have. GT is full of guys who sit at their desk down at the insurance company and talk about how cops and soldiers need to "Man the F8c%k Up."

eyelikeglasses
08-20-2012, 05:48
A comment usually made by those who never have. GT is full of guys who sit at their desk down at the insurance company and talk about how cops and soldiers need to "Man the F8c%k Up."

Your investigative skills are lacking Bren. Aren't you supposed to be an MP or something?:whistling:

eyelikeglasses
08-20-2012, 05:52
Soldiers starts with a capital "S". The Fail is really strong with some of you!

WiskyT
08-20-2012, 06:21

In your world, it's all about you. The sign of a true coward. Guess what? Police work doesn't work that way. If the cops were only thinking of themselves, they would have been down by Wall St. ogling the finance chicks in cute little business outfits.

Cops have something you don't, responsibilities. That dog should have been shot on site due to it;s history of attacking people. I have specifically been given a 00 license to kill certain dogs on site, and have done it, due to them chasing human beings back into their cars and homes. These same dogs were killing pets and livestock.

See, it's not all about you and your interests. There are millions of people in that city, including children, who have a right to not be mauled by a vicious dog. The owner was incapable of controlling his animal and death of the dog is the result for that owner's failure.

WiskyT
08-20-2012, 06:28
As for specific tactics, I went to the academy with an animal control guy. He really knew his stuff. I asked him what to do about a charging dog and he said you just stick out your baton or flashlight and the dog will bight on to it. That gives you time to respond. He assured me it will work.

A few years later, I went out on to a deck from the inside of a home in the darkness. I immediately heard nails charging on the wooden deck and heard deep barks. I backed into the door way and thrust out my flashlight which the dog attacked. The homeowner pulled the door shut on the light and I withdrew it as the door finished closing, minus the dog. It worked like a charm and I never would have had time to draw, fire, and kill the homeowners' pet German Sheppard.

So, in a perfect world, the cop would have thrust his baton out, the dog would have bit it, and then he could have made a more controlled shot. Would more training help along those lines? Yes. Write a polite letter to NYPD's training staff and maybe they will take the time to train 40,000 Officers:dunno:

boomhower
08-20-2012, 06:40
Would he a good shoot here, no question. We're not expected to take a bite from an aggressive dog and risk injury. There are major blood lines in your legs that if severed can cause you to bleed out in minutes, you man up. I'm going home at the end of the day and not risking death over an aggressive dog. No one wants to shoot a dog but we are expected to defend ourselves if need be.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

eyelikeglasses
08-20-2012, 06:57
In your world, it's all about you. The sign of a true coward.

Cops have something you don't, responsibilities.

Look guy. Thanks for doing your job, but you know nothing about me. A true coward? You should have gone to Afghanistan with me Rambo.:upeyes: The fight woulda been over already if we had some high speed dog killers over there.

WiskyT
08-20-2012, 07:04
Look guy. Thanks for doing your job, but you know nothing about me. A true coward? You should have gone to Afghanistan with me Rambo.:upeyes: The fight woulda been over already if we had some high speed dog killers over there.

So, you are trying to tell me that there are no cowards in combat? There are, and have been, and I've seen them with my own two eyes. It's cowardly of you to sit at your monitor and type away about what an NYPD copper should not do to protect his and others' lives while under violent attack.

eyelikeglasses
08-20-2012, 07:04
Would he a good shoot here, no question. We're not expected to take a bite from an aggressive dog and risk injury. There are major blood lines in your legs that if severed can cause you to bleed out in minutes, you man up. I'm going home at the end of the day and not risking death over an aggressive dog. No one wants to shoot a dog but we are expected to defend ourselves if need be.

I'm well aware of where the femoral artery is.

At least you don't want to shoot the dogs.

You're not supposed to risk injury? How can you be expected to "Protect & Serve"?

Killing anything is not to be taken lightly, or with a cavalier attitude.

eyelikeglasses
08-20-2012, 07:11
So, you are trying to tell me that there are no cowards in combat? There are, and have been, and I've seen them with my own two eyes. It's cowardly of you to sit at your monitor and type away about what an NYPD copper should not do to protect his and others' lives while under violent attack.

I have seen the cowards. You know who they usually are? They are the guys who talk a big game and point weapons at people who aren't threats, then when something pops off they are hiding and crying. Sounds like quite a few of the tough guys on here.:faint: You guys are supposed to be public servants, not revenue generating thugs.

And violent attack? Was that an "assault dog"? Please.

WiskyT
08-20-2012, 07:16
I'm well aware of where the femoral artery is.

At least you don't want to shoot the dogs.

You're not supposed to risk injury? How can you be expected to "Protect & Serve"?

Killing anything is not to be taken lightly, or with a cavalier attitude.

The NYPD cops didn't want to shoot the dog either. Nothing about that shooting is going to be taken lightly or with a cavalier attitude. Your ignorance of Police work is significant. Right now, there are a dozen gray haired, white shirted old boogers who should have retired a decade ago watching that video over and over and trying to find a way to say the cops were wrong.

As for risking injury and expectations, you really show your true colors here. Right there in that video, in front of your very eyes, you see two brave cops risking significant injury and death to protect and serve another and you don't see it. They could have easily stood off or stayed in their radio car and waited for someone else to do something. They didn't. They risked injury and death to get the sick person help.

Bren
08-20-2012, 07:23
Soldiers starts with a capital "S". The Fail is really strong with some of you!

Soldiers starts with a capital "S" when referring particularly to U.S. Army personnel, not when used in the generic "soldiers" to refer to soldiers of any army, anywhere. Same as "God said..." vs. "Zeus was a god" or "Army" vs. "army." Talking about Soldiers to exlude Marines and such, wouldn't even make sense in the context of my statement.

Seems like anybody would know that...even you.:upeyes:

WiskyT
08-20-2012, 07:24
I have seen the cowards. You know who they usually are? They are the guys who talk a big game and point weapons at people who aren't threats, then when something pops off they are hiding and crying. Sounds like quite a few of the tough guys on here.:faint: You guys are supposed to be public servants, not revenue generating thugs.

And violent attack? Was that an "assault dog"? Please.

Yes, that was an assault dog. It had attacked several individuals over a period of time, including at least two in the video. You're not smart enough to be worth shipping to Afghanistan.

What does revenue have to do with this? Nevermind, I don't want to know:tinfoil:

Bren
08-20-2012, 07:25
Your investigative skills are lacking Bren. Aren't you supposed to be an MP or something?:whistling:

I am not an MP and never have been. The comment also did not involve any type of investigation. If you think I intended to say that you, particularly, work for an insurance company, but I somehow referred to Glocktalkers in the plural to keep from hurting your feelings, you are wrong.:upeyes:

boomhower
08-20-2012, 07:29

You know what I meant. I risk injury every time I stop a car, serve a warrant, go to a domestic, shots fired calls, work a traffic accident, or a million other things. I've run towards gun fire more times than I can count, that's what we do. Taking risks is the job. I know ever day I leave the house may be the last time I see my wife and kids. I believe in what I do and love my job. Willingly taking a dog bite from a large dog is a whole different can of worm and just plain stupid. If they shot a yorkie I could see a problem, but not with this dog. This wasn't an ankle bitter, he could cause sever injury.

Spring Hill Glocker
08-20-2012, 08:04
I'm sure the Officer later felt bad about having to put the canine down and a million different scenarios have been going through his head since the shooting. He had no other choice in my opinion. I would have probably executed the same actions based on how sudden the situation escalated. But I wonder why he wasn't issued a Taser?

eyelikeglasses
08-20-2012, 08:17
I really do want to send my thanks to you guys for being policemen and deputies. I know I give you guys grief, but I wouldn't want to do it. I just really love dogs and I hate seeing one shot.

And yes Bren, I thought you meant me. I was wrong.

RetailNinjitsu
08-20-2012, 14:47
I really do want to send my thanks to you guys for being policemen and deputies. I know I give you guys grief, but I wouldn't want to do it. I just really love dogs and I hate seeing one shot.

And yes Bren, I thought you meant me. I was wrong.

Bipolar?

packinaglock
08-20-2012, 16:21
Bipolar?

LOL :rofl:

eyelikeglasses
08-21-2012, 00:04
Yes.

No.

Maybe?

JuneyBooney
08-21-2012, 00:34

Synopsis: pit bull was guarding seizing owner. Pit bull rushes cop, gets shot by another cop.

That is sad. :crying:

CATATOMIC
08-21-2012, 09:03
I don't want to get all up in this so I'll put my little .02 cents in and leave. I've been in that officer's shoes before and had to kill a charging pit bull. I've been a law enforcement officer for 22 years now. Two years ago myself and several other officers responded to a call that a woman was being attacked inside her home by a man with a knife. She ended up having her throat cut but did survive after a long hospital stay. As we were entering the yard a pit bull charged us. Without hesitation I fired one shot with my duty weapon and killed the dog. No I didn't wake up that morning hoping to kill somebody's dog that day but there were "human" lives at stake and I made my split second decision and I have no regrets. I would do it again today if I had to. I didn't have a stick or flashlight in my hand at the time. It was 9 o'clock in the morning. Neither did I have time to stop and think long and hard about the situation and how could I avoid a confrontation with this pit bull that's attacking us. Sometimes you don't have time to think..you just react. And for what it's worth, I was carrying a 9mm Glock and that one Winchester 127 gr +P+ Ranger T did the job with an instant affect.

9mmParabellum
08-21-2012, 10:47

Oh Boy

officialaccount
08-23-2012, 00:57
I agree with the shot although I wonder why the cop simply didn't mace the dog instead. With how sensitive dogs noses are mace is pretty horrid for them and generally pretty effective. But I only mean this as a suggestion for next time, I support his choice. The responsibility lies with the owner to either train their dog not to bite or not to take it out in public. Officer / Public safety always comes first in my book.

Gen4 Fan
08-24-2012, 21:20

I've seen guys like you. All mouth.

If you were there, you'd be hiding behind the cop with
a pool of urine at your feet.

Guaranteed.

You depend on people to do your heavy lifting
then whine about it after the fact from a safe place.

uz2bUSMC
08-24-2012, 22:15
I've seen guys like you. All mouth.

If you were there, you'd be hiding behind the cop with
a pool of urine at your feet.

Guaranteed.

You depend on people to do your heavy lifting
then whine about it after the fact from a safe place.

+1. Any one who thinks a "simple" kick will deter a determined dog has no real life experiences. He's spoon fed. Probably continue living life giving perfect solutions over the internet while real men and women handle them in the real world.

JW1178
08-24-2012, 22:28
Yeah, I'm sure most of us would have rather seen this come out differently so the dog didn't have to die. Perhaps overpotective, the dog didn't have malice, he was just trying to protect his family member. A dog will do anything for you if you give it love, and will die for you, as that dog did. He wasn't thinking "F the police MFer" he was trying to protect his guy while he was down against strangers. The dog didn't know the cops and those people were there to help. Bottom line though is that what happened, happened the way it did. That's the problem with the breed, they are too protective and too fast to fight. Most breeds of dogs will sniff out your intentions first and think before they react. Had a great dane when I was young, and she was as sweet as a dog could be, but when a group of men came to the car one time that were acting strange, she stood up on her hind legs and gave the one guy a good closeup of her teeth, I'm sure he to this day can smell her breath. When we lived in Chicago, she did the same to a group of people who came to the door trying to tell my grandparents to vote for Mayor Daily. My dog, black lab, not near as big, but last time some jahova witnesses came by, she was ready to taste some blood, but she's never done that before, only to certian kinds of people.