"Limp-Wristing" and It's Consequences? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : "Limp-Wristing" and It's Consequences?

doc540
08-16-2012, 09:00
Educate me about this "limp-wristing" issue.

Can any well-tuned 1911 experience a cycling issue (or jam) strictly from not keeping a firm control when firing?

This is a serious issue to me since I carry a Colt CCO.

For instance, if I have to shoot it with my weak hand only, does that pose a risk since my hold is much weaker than either a two-hand or stronger right hand hold?

ca survivor
08-16-2012, 16:17
I'm sure you will be Ok with your weak hand, next time at the range, try it, I put a few round with left hand and one hand only, just in case, every range time.

texmex
08-16-2012, 16:24
In my experience, most decent semi-auto pistols have to be held so loosely that it almost comes out of the hand for limp wristing to cause a malfunction. The grip has to be so minimal that the pistol rocks back in the hand and only the thumb and trigger finger are still holding on. Technically, limp wristing should be more of a problem with blow back autos such as the old Astra (600, 900 etc.). The recoil spring is much stronger and therefore harder for the momentum of the slide to overcome.

All you have to do to see how much limp wristing your pistols will stand for is to try a looser and looser grip and see if the weapon malfunctions. Just in case you accidentally let the weapon come out of your hand, you might want to do this with an empty magazine. If the slide locks back on the empty magazine, the weapon would have functioned. If it doesn’t or the slide closes on the empty case (in the chamber, jammed between the slide and barrel or stovepiped) then you know it must be held tighter to insure functioning.
On a locked breech pistol like a 1911, the slide recoils so fast that when recorded in slow motion, the whole thing is done almost before you could let go of it. Almost any retardation of the frames rearward movement will allow the slide to cycle. I would imagine that if someone conducted a test under controlled conditions where they could fire the weapon without holding on to it, it might work anyway. Firing a weapon in a Ransom rest is almost the same as not holding on at all. Maybe someone who has used a Ransom rest can advise us if the weapon functions properly.

For your own piece of mind, fire a few rounds one handed and weak handed and see how it works. In our qualification course, firing weak handed is mandatory for a few rounds. We also train on firing and reloading one handed with the strong hand only and the weak hand only. You figure out real quick that your ammo needs to be where you can access it with either hand.

fnfalman
08-16-2012, 18:39
Plastic frames tend to be more affected by limpwristing/unfirm grips than steel or aluminum frames. However, if you hold it lightly enough, it will malfunction.